Syn's Emperors Children

SystemSyn

Yeah, I am going to have to try some weekly sculpting sessions to work on it. I'd love to be able to sculpt worth a darn to add some pizzazz to my minis. For example I love the trim work you've been sculpting on these terminators and the decimator (among others) and I would love that for myself for armor trims and my blastmasters. Heck, it would also look great on tanks too.

The paint jobs are great and I like the base for the heldrake but the medicae turned lord steals the show. You have made that model look fantastic! Out of that short run of FW models for GW stores that was the only one I had the chance to buy...and I passed on it. Something about that sculpt makes me think of the the mayor from the Nightmare Before Christmas. The extra trim and the back swap out with a paint job is phenomenal, bud!

You know, I never saw that Mayor thing before I read that, but now I can't stop seeing it! He is a really cool model, but he needed a bit of work. I was tempted to add some hair as well, but decided against it. I got one of the other limited Forgeworld models as well, but I haven't even opened it yet. I'm not sure I ever will.

That Terminator Lord is incredible! I hated that model when I first saw it. You’ve made it look very sinister indeed. Great work. The Termi Champ is looking great as well

Thnks very much Biohazard! He's been sitting on my desk staring at me for a while, I figured it was about time I got some paint on him.

Nice use of the knight head on the terminator, I've earmarked the kit to bash with Tartaros, so it's good to see it work.

You've really knocked it out the park with the paintjob on the Lord.

Thanks Pearson73. The Knight head fits pretty well asthetically with the model, but it did need a bit of trimming down to get it to fit.

I really like the Dark Vengeance Terminators, but I'm having one problem. There's a duplicate in the unit and I don't like that. I'm not sure if I should try to convert it differently, or replace it entirely with a different model.

Yeah, I think the medicae apron/skirt is what makes me think of that mayor's general shape. Still, the conversion and input you added to that model makes it looks great. I think he was so bottom heavy with that skirt and his upper armor was really slim just made him look off initially.

As for the duplicate DA terminator you mentioned I say you convert it. Get a regular terminator front plate and a different head so you can pose that differently. Use a different right arm and swap out the fist if you want. Then its just bling around the waist that needs to change.

Yeah, I think the medicae apron/skirt is what makes me think of that mayor's general shape. Still, the conversion and input you added to that model makes it looks great. I think he was so bottom heavy with that skirt and his upper armor was really slim just made him look off initially.

As for the duplicate DA terminator you mentioned I say you convert it. Get a regular terminator front plate and a different head so you can pose that differently. Use a different right arm and swap out the fist if you want. Then its just bling around the waist that needs to change.

I am tempted to convert it but there's two things putting me off. The first is that I just have something against duplicate models, especially in the same unit. And the other is that I'm getting pretty low on time. The tournament is at the end of next month, and converting it will take time. I still need to get the Daemon Prince painted too. I'm off at the weekend so I'll figure it out then, but I might mix'n'match with the rest of the Dark Vengeance Terminators and regular Chaos Terminators, and see how that works, just to cut some corners.

I know I'm a little late, but since I failed to complete my ETL vow I believe I'm to be punished with the Oath Beaker symbol in my signature. I went to try and find it earlier today, but can't seem to find the ETL page anymore. Does anyone know where I can find it, or am I too late?

Beautiful models, Syn. At first I was iffy about the Decimator, but looking at it from different angles you've won me over. Great work!

Thanks very much DuskRaider! The Decimator is on hold for the time being. The conversion needs a bit of tweaking, but I'll get back to it sooner or later.

It's not much to look at yet, but I have made a start on the next two Terminators.

cTueams.jpg

Those terminators just look fantastic Syn! The GS work really broke up the DA feel, and that paint job on them is terrific as always. I can’t wait to see the DP finished up, as well as what you have further planned on the decimator :thumbsup:

Thanks very much Greenz, I'm hoping to get the Daemon Prince started soon. I just want to get the rest of the Terminator squad done first, but if everything goes to plan, I should have both the Terminator unit and the Daemon Prince finished by the end of next month.

Clean green stuff work as always. This is going to be good!

Thanks Hushrong!

Terminator number 3 is finished, and numbers 4 and 5 are almost built. I just need to wait for the last lot of putty to cure and I can get them assembled.

McLQHqC.jpg

dyyWOos.jpg

kED0KRz.jpg

I am too! Definitely cannot wait for a squad shot!

Hopefully you won't be waiting long, I've got a deadline to keep if I want to have the new Terminator unit and the Daemon Prince done in time for the Dark Zones tournament at the end of the month.

Here's Terminator number 4, ready for paint. I decided to replace the duplicate in the unit with a regular Chaos Terminator. I'm just not a fan of duplicate models.

PQ2TFud.jpg

6vlkHLw.jpg

guHuCD9.jpg

ampdmsr.jpg

iENr9Cc.jpg

And because I'm not using the duplicate model, I thought it would be interesting to get a comparison between the unconverted model and what I've done with it.

raxNr4Q.jpg

Love the chainfist on the new guy, he’s one of my favourites of this squad along with the guy with powerfist and the classic Terminator head. :tu:

Thanks Biohazard, I think the first guy I did for the unit is also my favourite, although I'm liking how Terminator number 3 turned out.

Lovely work as usual, I'm so damn inspired by all your work with the trim, but every time I try it myself I loose interest after an hour:D

Thanks very much ElDuderino, that's really nice to hear. It takes me a lot longer than an hour, each marine takes 2/3 days for me.

Once again, a really nice conversion and implementation of the trim, I can't wait for the whole squad to be painted up for a group shot.

Thanks Pearson73, hopefully I'll have the last 2 squad members painted up soon. I still need to get the Daemon Prince done before the end of the month too.

New terminators looking fantastic! I really like the chainfist swap out for that blade. Looks wicked, cool, and very Slaaneshi!

And seeing that comparison shot of the bas DV terminator and your converted one is day and night!

Thanks very much Hushrong! It took a while, but I'm glad all the conversion work is finally done on this unit.

Did you ever do a tutorial for your GS trim? I've just started chaosifying a Deredeo and I feel like I could use some pointers.

Dragonlover

The trim takes a few stages. First I make sure the putty is smooth and not to thick (if that makes sense) on the model. Then I run a hobby knife along the existing armour to remove the excess and ensure the putty is flush with the outer edge of the armour. Then I 'draw' the shape I want into the putty with a hobby knife.

If it's straight armour trim then I'll leave it at that and pick of the excess once it's dry. If it's curvy I remove the excess while it's wet (this can be a bit fiddly), then I smooth it out with a curved tool. I actually use an old GW tool for this mostly. This is to get the curves smooth, so it might make the finished thing a but bumpy, but I just leave that and smooth it over with a bit of filing once it's dry. I'm not great at explaining things, but I hope this helps

Lovely work as usual, I'm so damn inspired by all your work with the trim, but every time I try it myself I loose interest after an hour:D

Thanks very much ElDuderino, that's really nice to hear. It takes me a lot longer than an hour, each marine takes 2/3 days for me.

That's very helpful information actually, great for morale hehe

That's very helpful information actually, great for morale hehe

Glad to hear it! Best of luck with your sculpting.

That's basically what I'm doing already. Do you find you have to occasionally superglue it back down while you're trimming the excess?

Dragonlover

Yes, more often than I would like. One thing that I find helpful to avoid this is, after letting the putty cure but before removing the excess, if you go back over the cuts with a hobby knife. Sometimes the putty sticks back together a bit as it cures and you end up removing more than the excess, so I find this helps to prevent that happening.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the 'chainfist' a whole lot, very characterful.

Thanks very much sockwithaticket! It was a spontaneous kit-bash, and I'm really happy with how it turned out as well.

Terminator number 4 is done, and number 5 is getting there, so hopefully I'll have it posted ip soon.

MLEVvlY.jpg

BwRWgdq.jpg

XQA6CxM.jpg

And here's a peek at how the Daemon Prince is shaping up.

ELhwPUw.jpg

Apart from the base, I've really just blocked on the base colours. I really need to get my finger out if I'm going to have him painted in time for the Dark Zones.

Speaking of the Dark Zones, I thought I might need a few Objective Markers, so I threw together a few. They're just bits of Amethyst glued to a base, but they were really quick to paint up and I'm happy enough with them, so I've got a few more on my desk just now.

o1loqpD.jpg