Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Inspirational Friday 2017: The Black Legion (until 1/5)

Inspirational Friday Inspirational Friday 2017 Fanfic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
224 replies to this topic

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,772 posts
Scourged, that is a fantastic idea. Give me some time and I’ll set it as a side challenge, perhaps with a deadline a month (or two?) out. A challenge for members to put together their entire Campaign series –revising and adding to it as they wish- and I’ll see if I can whip up a special medal reward. `Chaos Remembrancer` or something.

med_gallery_63428_7083_113631.png
Thank you for your entries in Inspirational Friday – Campaign IV: End Game .

Only two made it to the finishing posts, though I know more are still to come. Please post them as and when you like (or wait for the challenge I mentioned above msn-wink.gif ).

If members are interested I’d like to do another similar series, perhaps focusing more on the campaign element of it (as I know my own entry, for one, focused on one large battle really rather than a series of battles). Any suggestion on the themes that could be broken down into are welcome. smile.png

Here begins our third challenge of Inspirational Friday 2017:
Seeds Sown...
The fall to Chaos is rarely a swift one and the initial cracks in one’s loyalty and faith are hard to see, but it is through these faults that the Chaos Gods whisper their insidious thoughts and promises. In this challenge I wish to see tales of such Seeds Sown..., which in a later challenge may ...Bear Fruit.

Inspirational Friday: Seeds Sown... runs until the 17th of February.

Let us be inspired.

And who shall judge this new challenge? That decision lies with our current judge: Warsmith Aznable.
To the chosen victor: step forward and claim the Octed Amulet:
gallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
Kierdale, that was an awesome story.

I'm not sure how an overall contest of our 2016 campaign will work out for me. All of my stories last year were part of it, not just the specific contests. Those stories, along with a handful of others have been compiled in the fan fiction board under the title of The Shield. I guess I can pick some of the better ones, or use the ones for the specific contests.

I'm looking forward to this next contest too, seeds are planting in my imagination as well.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,772 posts
Seeds Sewn
Dramatis Personae
Attilus, captain, Imperial Fists.
Pelonius, sergeant, 4th squad, Imperial Fists.
Ertiros, tactical marine, 4th squad, Imperial Fists.
Guria, chaplain, Word Bearers.

One
Hidden Content

Two
Hidden Content

Three
Hidden Content

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

Have a thing, short and sweet. When the muse hits, it hits...

Hidden Content

Edited by Scourged, 09 February 2017 - 10:45 PM.

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pnggallery2900461982240.pnggallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,772 posts
I'm out of Likes already today but Scourged that was excellent. :tu:
Welcome back!

Warsmith Aznable

Warsmith Aznable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,713 posts

Choosing between Kierdale and Carrack is a difficult thing. Both here present interesting scenes.

I choose Kierdale for the winner of the End Game. It's as difficult to say exactly why as it was to come to the decision. I suppose I enjoyed the image of the chase for apotheosis being the carrot dangled in front of frustrated yet still highly motivated Chaos Lord.

Here I will present my own campaign's End Game. I had a lot of time to think about it, but somehow it still didn't come out quite right.

The Story So Far

Hidden Content

Conclusion

Hidden Content

Epilogue

Hidden Content

The Iron Hounds (CSM) project log here & IA here. | Our Martyred Lady (SoB) project log here  | Lamenters (BA) WIP thread here.

Index of Inspiration Friday entries here.

gallery_29004_9303_844.pnggallery_53134_9839_10377.jpggallery_53134_9839_46080.jpggallery_53134_9839_9398.jpggallery_29004_9303_844.png

"Three times faster than the usual Warsmith."

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,772 posts
Thank you, Warsmith Aznable.
Being chosen over Carrack's entry I take as quite an honour.

I look forward to seeing what lies in store for the Black Maw (and that elusive Shield), Carrack. I presume the Angels of Immolation got away with it but can't help wondering what the Dark Angels were up to - and if they might not have tried to get it while Garaduk was out of action.
And is that
Spoiler
, Warsmith Aznable??
If I may be permitted to quote doctor Samuel Beckett, "Oh boy!"

I also want to see the end of everyone else's stories! :D

Warsmith Aznable

Warsmith Aznable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,713 posts

And is that

Spoiler
, Warsmith Aznable??

It is supposed to be a warp projection of him, part of the call to arms for the 13th Black Crusade, gathering all his Warsmiths for whatever it is that he is going to be doing. I figured for what is going on with the setting right now it would be a good place to end things until I have some idea of where it's all going.

I really don't like how it turned out, though. I feel like I had a lot more that needed to be said to wrap it up. The scene with the Dark Apostles should have been longer, should have had more information. Yseult having an epiphany and losing her mind over it was supposed to have a lot more explanation and action. There was other stuff I wanted to show but it just wasn't working. The Warsmith's actual plan, which I meant to finally reveal and explain, didn't end up getting time in the narrative. I'm sort of hitting a wall with the 49th Grand Company's story-arc, and I don't know what to do about it. I was much more excited to write about the Word Bearers character Izley'ci and show a Slaaneshi aspiring champion before he really gets on his way, even though he was originally conceived of just as an outside witness to events. I've lost a lot of enthusiasm for the setting as it heads toward 8th edition...

Maybe future challenges will spark something.

The Iron Hounds (CSM) project log here & IA here. | Our Martyred Lady (SoB) project log here  | Lamenters (BA) WIP thread here.

gallery_29004_9303_844.pnggallery_53134_9839_10377.jpggallery_53134_9839_46080.jpggallery_53134_9839_9398.jpggallery_29004_9303_844.png

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,772 posts

Maybe future challenges will spark something.

I hope so. That's what IF is here for ;)
I'll admit I'm....curious...about the direction 40k fluff is taking too.

If you feel there is more to do/more you could have done with the campaign ending, then please do rewrite as much as you like (when you do have it working) and submit it for the Full Campaign challenge in the future.

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
The Siren's Voice

Tancrea, The Pillars of Fortitude

Spoiler

Edited by Carrack, 16 February 2017 - 09:06 PM.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,772 posts
Thank you for your entries in Inspirational Friday: Seeds Sown. I look forward to seeing those seeds bear the foulest of fruits.

Our third challenge of 2017 saw the return of Scourged with Prayers for Truth, in which Gallus Herodicus, chapter master of the Seekers of Truth oversaw inquisitor Tsalie Krejcik torturing a suspected heretic for information. A session unlike others, for it saw seeds of doubt planted within the mind of the Astarte, and ended in a plea...
I think we all know the phrase Be careful what you wish for....

Carrack gave us The Siren’s Voice. The tale of a grunt, a vox-man for his CO, coming under fire from the enemy while, perhaps more terrifyingly, finding naught but a haunting, tempting voice upon every vox channel. A voice he at first finds repellant...

And in my entry, Seeds Sown we saw the growing comradeship between an Imperial Fists sergeant (later captain) and a chaplain of the Word Bearers in the years leading up to the Great Betrayal. Could it be that the influence of the chaplain Guria upon sergeant Pelonius, upon his drive for unemotional perfection, had a knock-on effect down the millennia?

Here ends Inspirational Friday: Seeds Sown though if you have more pieces on the topic, as always feel free to post them at any time with a suitable title to the post.

Here begins our fourth challenge of Inspirational Friday 2017:
The Fallen
I know not whether Cypher is the greatest threat, or the greatest hope for the Imperium. I only pray that we can stop him before we find out.
The lord of the Fallen, the elusive gunslinger himself, Cypher coming soon with a new model and in anticipation of this we cast our gaze over the Fallen: those Dark Angels who split from their legion ten thousand years ago, scattered across space and time by a great warp storm.
The quarry and nemesis of the Unforgiven, it is said that some of the Fallen swore allegiance to the gods of Chaos, while others went renegade, turned to piracy and even some have since come to repent their heresy and seek solitude. Can these tales be believed? Can these rogue Astartes be trusted?
What is the truth of the matter? What does truth matter to the Imperium of Man or the Pantheon of Chaos?
Tell us this time a tale of the Fallen, be they the protagonists or antagonists.
Inspirational Friday: The Fallen runs until the 3rd of March.

Let us be inspired.

Note that I chose to run this theme now rather than after Gathering Storm III hits so the events of that book do not colour our imagination either way, so to speak.

And who shall judge this new challenge? That decision lies with our current judge: ....me!
I thoroughly enjoyed both Scourged and Carrack’s entries and am having difficulty choosing a winner at this moment. The one with clearer foreshadowing yet I know the end result, or the one to which I do not yet know the end (and am very eager to read)...
Give me some time.

Sheesh Mode

Sheesh Mode

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,207 posts

I won one of these contests, but I do not remember which it was. I'll aim to do so again this week, and thereby hold on to my victory.

This is my narrative voice.

Trevak Dal

Trevak Dal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,337 posts
Cool, I can put in a little bit about the resident 1st Legion member of my Nightblades, Adrastus Garrak.

SSDD.
Spoiler

Edited by Trevak Dal, 25 February 2017 - 05:59 PM.

"Our Turn" - Centurion Khârn.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,772 posts
Stowaway
Part One
Hidden Content

Part Two
Hidden Content

Part Three
Hidden Content

Part Four
Hidden Content

Part Five
Hidden Content

Warsmith Aznable

Warsmith Aznable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,713 posts

Inspirational Friday threads are the only place I really post anymore, so I will post this personal message here.

I'm taking a break from both 40k and the B+C forum for a while. Hopefully I will regain my enthusiasm for the game and the setting and come back full of ideas and projects, but right now I'm gassed out and need to concentrate on other things in my life.

To the people who have read my stories here, I thank you and appreciate your feedback and comments. I have enjoyed reading y'alls stories very much as well.

+Lurk mode activated+

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,772 posts
Thanks for all your excellent work here in Inspirational Friday, Warsmith Aznable. Have a good break, relax and do stuff other than making toy soldiers and writing about them ;) And good luck with the Real Life stuff that needs dealing with.

Eagerly awaiting your return,
Kierdale

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts

Inspirational Friday threads are the only place I really post anymore, so I will post this personal message here.

I'm taking a break from both 40k and the B+C forum for a while. Hopefully I will regain my enthusiasm for the game and the setting and come back full of ideas and projects, but right now I'm gassed out and need to concentrate on other things in my life.

To the people who have read my stories here, I thank you and appreciate your feedback and comments. I have enjoyed reading y'alls stories very much as well.

+Lurk mode activated+

:( your stories are a highlight of this topic and this board for me. They will be missed.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,772 posts
Trevak, could you edit your story to change `Chaplin` to `chaplain`? When I read your story I keep getting images of a suit-clad Astarte with a small moustache and a bowler hat. msn-wink.gif
And you’re finishing the story there? I want to know more!

And judgement time.
I thoroughly enjoyed both Carrack and Scourged’s entries. Both were rather short compared to entries we’ve had other times, but I think it showed that they can write riveting pieces without them being so long.
I liked, in Carrack’s piece, the seductiveness of the voice over the vox. The comparison to chocolate was nice, and how the effect the voice had on the guardsman got stronger and more seductive as the story went on.
And the fact that the corruption was happening in the colonel’s vox man, someone placed so close to the top yet someone whose corruption might easily not be noticed, was great. The change in how the officer addresses him, a cause of resentment on the trooper’s part too I liked.
That by the end the man was eager to hear the voice, to take him away from the madness of war, was quite understandable.

Though I already knew that the Seekers of Truth become the Scourged, it was good to see Scourged going back and showing us cracks appearing in the faith of chapter master Gallus Herodicus (great name). I liked that it was the death of a nobody (it brought to mind the page-edge fluff piece in all 40k rulebooks about everyone being naught but a spark in the darkness that will not be missed) that shook Herodicus’ faith in the Imperium and its ways. And Herodicus’ turning to prayer to seek the answer to his questions was quite believable (a common choice by a great many people in the modern world and no doubt in the Imperium of Man). And, as we all know, Herodicus gets exactly what he asks for.

It was an exceedingly difficult choice as I think both pieces perfectly fit the challenge of IF: Seeds Sown, and I very much look forward to reading more of both - particularly the story of Carrack’s voxcaster-guardsman – though based on this challenge’s pieces alone, I choose Scourge’s entry as the winner.

Trevak Dal

Trevak Dal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,337 posts
*facepalm* I feel like Zapp Branigan with 'Champaggon' I got to add more to it, work had been hectic.

Edited by Trevak Dal, 25 February 2017 - 06:01 PM.

"Our Turn" - Centurion Khârn.

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

Finally checking in after a bit...

Aww, just as I was starting to get myself involved here again, Warsmith Aznable is taking his leave. Shame to hear this is the case, but I understand completely. Good luck to you, and we'll all be here waiting when you inevitably return. 

And then yay, I won this round! Though to be fair to your praise, KierdaleI can't take credit for naming Gallus Herodicus. GW gets all the credit for that one, thanks to the paragraph of fluff in our most recent (well, now four and a half year old) codex. Still, glad you liked it, and I look forward to judging this round. I'm happy to be back, and happy to have my fingers typing away once more. Now then... off to continue work on Parts III and IV of our campaign challenge.

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pnggallery2900461982240.pnggallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,772 posts
With a bit over 24 hours to go we have but two entries.
Any more to come?

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
Note, I couldn't come up with something new this time, so I edited down the conclusion of The Wanderer campaign, my story arc before the war in the Aspis subsector.
Here is the nine part series in its entirety. http://www.bolterand...3-the-wanderer/ some of these parts showed up here a while back.
The Wanderer
Spoiler

Edited by Carrack, 03 March 2017 - 05:56 AM.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,772 posts
Thank you for your entries in Inspirational Friday: The Fallen.

We had only three entries but each looked at the Fallen in a different way.

Trevak Dak gave us the story of an mutated, unrepentant Fallen – and a Perpetual too if I’m not mistaken - captured and tortured by the Unforgiven. Adrastus finally makes a break from his imprisonment with the aid of a possessed, but did he succeed in his escape?

Carrack’s entry, The Wanderer, told us of a son of Caliban cursed by the Architect of Fate. Scheming while bound to the Eye as a servant of Tzeentch, The Wanderer probed the expanse of the Eye, seeing the Secret Path through which he might escape with his discovery, back to the Imperium of Man...and salvation? Personally I loved this piece for the depth it contained in such a short piece of writing. The determination and loyalty in The Wanderer despite his curse, his becoming a pawn of Tzeentch (a daemon prince in fact) and the fact that we readers know that if he did succeed in escaping and bringing his discovery to the Imperium his words would fall on deaf ears.
Echoes of Magnus, there.

And in my own entry, the Psychopomps stumbled over a Fallen stowaway. Shocked at the changes that had come over the Imperium since the warp storm which tore him from his homeworld (and that homeworld apart) he wandered, perhaps seeking solitude...only for the ship he was aboard to be hijacked by Chaos space marines, who got more than they bargained for when the veteran of the Great Crusade took off his gloves.

Here ends Inspirational Friday: The Fallen though if you have more pieces on the topic, as always feel free to post them at any time with a suitable title to the post.

Here begins our fifth challenge of Inspirational Friday 2017:
Chaos Bikers
”... broke the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature saying, “Come.” I looked, and behold, an ashen horse; and he who sat on it had the name Death; and Hades was following with him. Authority was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword and with famine and with pestilence and by the wild beasts of the earth.”
Fulfilling the role of scout and saboteur, Chaos bikers are mounted upon huge motorbikes capable of smashing their foes to the ground as well as carrying out lightning strikes with the weapons mounted upon their rides.
But who are these astartes? Are they addicted to the roar of engines, the stink of promethium and burnt rubber? Do they delight in harassing and chasing down their quarry? Do they favour stealth or violent, all-out assault? How are they seen by their comrades? Are they rivals of the warband’s raptor units? And how do the riders see their fellow astartes?
And are they dedicated to one of the Four? Are they pale riders devoted to bringing Pestilence, Famine, War and Death in the name of Nurgle? Do they bring about a tide of Change in the name of the Architect of Fate, bringing their weapons to bear swiftly and tipping the scales as their patron dictates? Do they eschew reconnaissance and raiding, preferring to bear down upon their enemies at breakneck speed, slamming through their foes like knights at some infernal joust in Khorne’s honour, adorning the trophy racks of their rides with skulls? Or are they addicted to raw speed and the exhilaration of the hunt, beseeching the Dark Prince show them greater sensations? Others renounce the Infernal Powers, like the bikers of the Night Lords, feeding upon the fear of those they stalk.
In the fifth challenge of 2017 tell us a tale of your Chaos bikers.
Photographs of completed models are much encouraged!

Inspirational Friday: Chaos Bikers runs until the 17th of March.

Let us be inspired.

And who shall judge this new challenge? That decision lies with our current judge: Scourged
To the chosen victor: step forward and claim the Octed Amulet:

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

Those were some fun and varied entries. Three very different perspectives on singular Fallen.

In the end, I have selected the work of Trevak Dak as the winner. While all three stories gave great perspective into the mind of the Fallen, yours added something I haven't really seen in a lot of stories: an attempt to escape the endless cycle of war. Adrastus, having been torn from his Legion and abandoned by his Imperium, eventually tired of the vengeance and the war and wished to have a quiet life all his own. But then the Angels came, reminding us all that there truly is no escape from the grimdark world of 40k. It added a great ambiguity to the disparity between the Dark Angels, and that ambiguity is exactly what makes it so intriguing to absorb.

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
Black Riders of the Third Seal

Garland Desert
Spoiler

Edited

Edited by Carrack, 06 March 2017 - 11:39 PM.