Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Inspirational Friday 2017: The Black Legion (until 1/5)

Inspirational Friday Inspirational Friday 2017 Fanfic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
224 replies to this topic

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

Have a thing. And do forgive me if I end up going dark for a little bit again. Turns out the lady and I are moving to Chicago, and we're doing it by the end of this month. The God of Change has blessed by life, though it will no doubt bring a lot of Chaos as we try to pack our things and move in three weeks.

Hidden Content

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pnggallery2900461982240.pnggallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,772 posts
The Black Stallions
One
Hidden Content

Two
Hidden Content

Three
Hidden Content

med_gallery_63428_9407_432636.jpg

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,772 posts
med_gallery_63428_7083_113631.png
Thank you for your entries in Inspirational Friday: Chaos Bikers.
Personally I haven’t had a chance to read the other entries yet - life has been busy - but I hope to over the next week.

Here ends Inspirational Friday: Chaos Bikers though if you have more pieces on the topic, as always feel free to post them at any time with a suitable title to the post.

Here begins our sixth challenge of Inspirational Friday 2017:
The Warp
The Sea of Souls, the Empyrean, the Immaterium, the Ether.
The Realm of Chaos.
The warp is a place of energy. A twisted reflection of realspace in constant flux, with the effects of one having a knock-on effect in the other, and likewise eddies in the warp causing madness to reign in mortal minds and flesh. A place where time and form are fluid.
Yet the vessels of man and other races must brave this hellish dimension in order to traverse the great void between stars, exposing themselves each time to the risk of corruption or worse.
The Formless Wastes are a roiling, random landscape not entirely under the influence of any of the four Infernal Powers. Rivers of tar flow through petrified woodlands under crimson skies; great stairways lead up into the Welkin only to join themselves from below in everlasting loops; castles of bone and fortresses of ichor stand amidst copses of limbs, and the departed spirits of titanic god-machines slump in graveyard heaps. Every dream and nightmare, every lunatic vision and deranged fancy, finds its home in the Formless Wastes.
Each of the Chaos gods has their domain: the fortress of Khorne, the crystal labyrinth of Tzeentch, the Garden of Nurgle and the palace of Slaanesh.
Tell us this time a tale of the warp, be it a story set within the empyrean itself or of its influence upon the minds of mortals still within the material universe.

Inspirational Friday: The Warp runs until the 31st of March.

Let us be inspired driven insane.

And who shall judge this new challenge? That decision lies with our current judge: Trevak Dal
To the chosen victor: step forward and claim the Octed Amulet:
gallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Evil Eye

Evil Eye

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,205 posts

Assuming I don't completely forget/get distracted by something else, I'll have a stab at this. I've been out of the IF loop for too long, I need to get back in. Also this theme sounds awesome.

ztbmByp.png

I come here to discuss and find out about Warhammer 40,000 with people of every ethnicity, sexuality, country and yes, as sickening as it is, even Eldar players.

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people, but monkeys do too, if they've got a gun." -Inquisitor Edmund Izzardos, on Jokaero.

(Formerly known as Squigsquasher)

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

Have a thing.

Hidden Content

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pnggallery2900461982240.pnggallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Trevak Dal

Trevak Dal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,337 posts

I really enjoyed all three stories, Carrack continuing the Black Maw's campaign against the Aspis Sub Sector, Scourged with a story of a Champion who got a promotion on the whim of one of the gods', but Kierdale's depiction of the devolution of the Black Stallions from honored (if unappreciated by their brother marines) Loyalists to petty Team Killers, driven and corrupted by their desires.

Kierdale, I choose you!

"Our Turn" - Centurion Khârn.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,772 posts

Magnum Opus

Hidden Content

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
I can't seem to get a readable story out this time for the contest. I did write this story though, it can count as a late entry for the Daemon Engine contest.
Nazatl the Unleashed

Spoiler

Night of the Blood Feast
Spoiler

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,772 posts
I did not get round to commenting earlier on the Bikers entries, so will do so now:
Carrack, I loved the breaking of seals in your entry, and the description of the riders. Very biblical. The descriptions of the desert and Water Gardens too made them easily imaginable. Excellent stuff.

And Scourged’s Dark Humor. Good stuff! Xeph was truly blessed!

Thank you for your entries in Inspirational Friday: The Warp.
I was sad to see only one entry besides my own for IF: The Warp…then Carrack gave us his work at the last moment! thumbsup.gif

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Scourged’s Night Sky. Phum’s description of what he saw brought to mind images of a twisted Aurora Borealis, and reminded me of Ian Watson’s Warped Stars. As I read about Phum’s boredom with his monotonous life I could see Tzeentch painting a target on the mortal’s soul. Your description of the warp wind and the daemons he could see as the Zeyphr touched him was great. I loved that his first kill’s body was not...shall we say wasted? That something tried to fill that void. That it failed messily was even better than if it had succeeded (which might have been too early in the story for Phum in my opinion).
And his dark, dark descent!

Night of the Blood Feast was Carrack’s entry. I loved this too, it bringing to mind some kind of primitive tribe existing on a world once more advanced, worshipping a being known as Nazatl, placating and beseeching it via sacrifice. I can only assume Nazatl is a daemon prince or some form of incarnation of Khorne. I liked that so much was left unexplained – were the tribe getting cables and ceramite from the ruins of an older culture/settlement? Or had some battle taken place there and these were the pickings?
And that the tribe payed such a terrible price on the first night of the Feast of Blood so that no more needed be sacrificed...Nazatl was banished or permanently placated in some way?

And in my piece, Magnum Opus, I gave an origin to the jade masks worn by the daemonettes of my warband, the image having been planted in the mind of an artist; haunting him and sapping his usual artistic talent, warping it until he finds the truth of the image and has to take a terrible step in order to achieve his goal.
I had wondered about, at the end of the story, the daemonette being sent to haunt the artist, making a kind of time-loop/paradox, but though it probably better left out.

Here ends Inspirational Friday: The Warp though if you have more pieces on the topic, as always feel free to post them at any time with a suitable title to the post.

Here begins our seventh challenge of Inspirational Friday 2017:
Hive War
Inspired by Shadow Wars: Armageddon, this challenge’s theme is warfare upon a hive world. From Armageddon though Arcadia, Ashek II, Medusa V and Stalinvast to the homeworld of the Astral Claws: Badab Prime and perhaps the most famous of Eta-class worlds itself: Necromunda, the hive worlds of the Imperium of Man are vast and teem with live, the majority of it in squalor.
And what lies between the towering spires of the hives: ash wastes, deserts, monster-filled jungles or raging seas?
And not all hive worlds are under the purview of the Imperium, for how many are Chaos worlds? What horror exist in vast hives whose millions-strong populaces are devoted to the Primordial Annihilator?
Be it an all-out assault upon a hive world (to what end?) or the account of a kill-team dispatched from your warband/legion to carry out a covert mission, over the next two weeks tell us a tale of the agents of Chaos active upon a hive world.

Inspirational Friday: Hive War runs until the 14th of April.

Let us be inspired.

And who shall judge this new challenge? That decision lies with our current judge: me!
And it’s not an easy choice (it rarely is when those two submit entries). I really enjoyed both entries and the images they conjured up. Nice that we had a Tzeentchian, a Khornate and a Slaaneshi entry...sadly no showing for Papa Nurgle...
I have chosen Scourged’s Night Sky as the winner this time as the imagery of the warp bleeding through the sky, that only Phum could see, really impressed me.
Scourged step forward and claim the Octed Amulet:
I do realise that Scourged may be moving around this time so, unless he posts that he can judge the next IF, I’d like to offer judging of IF: Hive War to Carrack.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,772 posts
I read Carrack's post - and made the update - via my phone. Now I've seen the hidden images I understand your Daemon Engine comment! :)

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
Thanks Kierdale. I had a blast with the maulerfiend, and it is my best creation so far. The pictures don't do it justice. I'll be happy to judge if Scourged is busy moving across the states. Also, Magnum Opus was one of your better stories, and that's saying a lot.

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
Assault on Calebra Hive

Putting an Ear to the Door
Spoiler

Slim Chance

Spoiler

Author note.
Spoiler

Edited by Carrack, 09 April 2017 - 06:50 PM.

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

Hey all. I'm finally back. The Windy City has welcomed me with open arms, much like the eternal embrace of the Warp. It's nice to finally be settled once more (and have at-home Internet again, heh). And thank you, Kierdale, for selecting me as the winner! I had fun trying to develop the indescribable imagery of the Immaterium so I'm glad others enjoyed it too. I look forward to reading about the Hive Wars. 

brettfp

brettfp

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 389 posts

I'll be posting this in its own thread soon when I start the WIP for this warband, I'm not sure its really "Hive War" but its the intro for my circus-themed nurgle cultists kill team for Shadow War so i though it would be close enough, it's short because I'm not much of a writer, just a bit of fun

Spoiler

Edited by brettfp, 11 April 2017 - 05:03 AM.

Creepy Chaos Stuff - Mechanical Daemons & Death Guard

Waaagh Sparktoof - Kult of Speed Orks

brettfp does Necromunda - Various Necro projects

My Savlar Chem Dogs WIP - 'Cry Havok and let slip the Chem Dogs of war!'

gallery_30308_9518_8793.jpggallery_30308_9518_10273.pnggallery_30308_9518_1334.png

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,772 posts
Necromunda: Shadow Run
Hidden Content

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,772 posts
Thank you for your entries in Inspirational Friday: Hive War.

I’ll get around to commenting on the other entries soon. I didn’t want to read them before finishing my own (which I did just this morning).

Here ends Inspirational Friday: Hive War though if you have more pieces on the topic, as always feel free to post them at any time with a suitable title to the post.

Here begins our eighth challenge of Inspirational Friday 2017:
Propaganda
In Wartime, truth is so precious that she should always be attended by a bodyguard of lies.
- M2 Terran Warmaster

Only the mob and the elite can be attracted by the momentum of totalitarianism itself. The masses have to be won by propaganda.

The oblique paradox of propaganda is that the lie in the throat becomes, by repetition, the truth in the heart.

The weapons of Chaos are legion, from the fallen and renegade astartes through masses of turncoat Guard regiments and cults which lurk on countless Imperial worlds to the daemonic hordes at the command of the gods themselves. And one of the most subtle weapons of the Primordial Annihilator is the twisting of the truth, the tempting lie.

The theme of this Inspirational Friday challenge is propaganda in all its forms.

Inspirational Friday: Propaganda runs until the 28th of April.

Let us be inspired.

And who shall judge this new challenge? That decision lies with our current judge: Scourged (since he’s back, unless he wants to pass the duty to Carrack)!
To the chosen winner, step forth and claim your prize:

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,772 posts
Carrack, I loved Cancon’s observations about the hive and that while ten minutes on the plains of homeworld you saw no change, ten minutes travel in the hive took him to entirely new cultures. And I loved the unexpected results of Yarl’s first grenade! biggrin.png

brettfp, that was good! I look forward to seeing this Nurgle kill team. Please post a link here when you’ve got them started. smile.png

brettfp

brettfp

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 389 posts

Thanks Kierdale, Here it is

Probably should put it in sig too :S

Creepy Chaos Stuff - Mechanical Daemons & Death Guard

Waaagh Sparktoof - Kult of Speed Orks

brettfp does Necromunda - Various Necro projects

My Savlar Chem Dogs WIP - 'Cry Havok and let slip the Chem Dogs of war!'

gallery_30308_9518_8793.jpggallery_30308_9518_10273.pnggallery_30308_9518_1334.png

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

Ah, some fun choices to pick from. brettfp, I enjoyed your contribution. In only a few short stanzas you conveyed the delight, malice, and dread that encompasses the Grandfather and his followers. Very nice. I look forward to seeing more of your work around these parts, should you decide to hang around and develop some more fiction for your Carnival of Rot. 

Carrack, I really felt likes your conveyed the very nervous human element of gang warriors. We all focus so much (at times) on the demigod Astartes and their minds that it's easy to forget that the humans are far, far different. The operation of Cancon and Yarl felt real, the bustling nature of the hive felt real. Plus, the little twist with the consequences of the smoke grenades was oh-so Tzeentchian. Good stuff all around.

Kierdale, yours too felt very human (and inhuman when appropriate, heh). The panic and fear of Henke and Teun as the small fish in a big pond was palpable. The scramble to escape their own backfired machinations was real. Also, I really enjoyed the subtle touch of changing the font for Old Cog's dialogue: that small change immediately triggered a cold, mechanical voice in my mind. Very clever. 

In the end, though, I had to make my decision based on one defining quality for me: setting. Only one tale truly felt like it put me inside of a dank, crowded hive, succumbing to the cramped conditions and immersing me in the daily struggles of the Imperium. For that, the honor of this week's winner goes to Carrack. Congrats. 

MaliGn

MaliGn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,297 posts
What the High Lords of Terra Don't Want You to Know!

Good Evening and welcome to VoxWars! With me, your host Darius Icke! Coming to you live on 4TK FM and across the Noo-Sphere! In the Grim Darkness of the 41st Millennium there is only war for your mind! What a show we have for you this evening my friends, we'll be shining a light on the dark underbelly of our Machiavellian overlords, a beacon in the sordid quagmire in which they grind us inexorably into fuel for their industro-military machine! A beacon of Truth my friends, A beacon of Truth!

Truth, hmm, funny thing Truth, we think we know what it is, we put our faith in our masters telling us the Truth, yet i am here to tell you this evening that they are incapable of telling the Truth, they will do anything in their power to prevent you from learning the truth, we're going to peel away the layers of their lies, reveal them for their hypocrisies, unmask their deceits and then you will be able to begin your path to the truth! Heed me my brothers, my sisters, heed me and you will learn to see with new eyes what your masters do not want you to see!

Now let's take our first caller this evening, now, our first caller is an active soldier within the Imperial Guard, so we have had to conceal his identity and mask his voice, for reasons which will become apparent to you when you here what he has to share, for this reason we shall refer to him as Trooper Jenkins. Good evening Trooper what is it you wanted to share with us this evening?

"Hi Darius, i wanted to talk to you about Cadia Man, I was there Man, and what they are telling you ain't right Man! I Seen things! They tell you that it was geological, but i seen them! Space Marine and Xenos working together man! They was up to something! Some funked up Magos..."

Let me interrupt you there Trooper, you're saying that Space Marines were working WITH Xenos? Throne! That's unreal! What happened to purging the alien? It's one rule for us and no rules for them! The Adeptus Astartes are supposed to be the paragons of humanity! And you're telling me that they are working with Alien scum?! Call me a bigot but i do not suffer the alien to live! It just shows that they don't want us to know what's going on out there! Then Cadia "conveniently" explodes! A source tells me that it was an agent of the mechanicus that caused that! It's all a cover up my friends! You are being lied to!

This isn't even a new thing! They have been pulling this crap for thousands of years my friends! You ever think about it? Every time that the people of a world get to close to the truth they pull the same "overrun by Xenos, order exterminatus" BS! Ever hear of Calth? Prospero? Caliban? Of course you haven't! They. don't. Want. You. To. These brave visionaries: Aurelian, Lupercal the rest of them they saw the truth and they were silenced! I'm telling you all my brothers! They will even silence their own!

I'm getting all worked up here, I'm telling you folks it really makes me mad! But I need to get going now or they will find my location! Tune in again next week when i will bring you revelations about the perfidious xeno-lizards that have infiltrated planetary governments across the galaxy! Catch you next time on VoxWars, remember the war is for your mind!

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,772 posts
Conception
Hidden Content

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
Truth of the War
Spoiler

What is Truth?
Spoiler

Edited by Carrack, 25 April 2017 - 09:59 PM.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,772 posts
I will be busy at the time I usually update IF tomorrow so I'm posting the new topic now, but if anyone has any more entries for Inspirational Friday: Propaganda please do post them within the next 12 hours. I ask Carrack to wait 12 hours from the posting of this message before judging smile.png

Thank you for your entries in Inspirational Friday: Propaganda.
MaliGn gave us VoxWars, spreading the truth that the Imperium wished to keep from the ears of the masses. The truth about Cadia and Imperial collusion with Xenos forces. I loved the way this was presented, bringing to mind modern shock jocks and conspiracy theorists.

Carrack’s piece was Truth of the War, an excellent alternative look at the events of the War of the Shield, putting a twist on key happenings to make the Imperial lord appear inept and tyrannical. I really liked the fact that Chaos cults might sew such twisted versions of the truth: making the well-intended acts of loyalists seem suspicious - undermining even their victories - and purporting the strikes of the Enemy to be barbaric acts by those same loyalists.

And I gave you Conception – a tale of Exalted Fecund (the Slaaneshi cult allied to the Psychopomps marines) preachers on an Imperial world subverting the Imperial Creed’s worship. Worming their way into the hearts and minds of citizens, into the regiments of the Imperial Guard...and bringing forth changelings.

Here ends Inspirational Friday: Propaganda though if you have more pieces on the topic, as always feel free to post them at any time with a suitable title to the post.

Here begins our ninth challenge of Inspirational Friday 2017:
The Ends Justify The Means
In an hour of Darkness a blind man is the best guide.
In an age of Insanity look to the madman to show the way.

Every advantage in the past is judged in the light of the final issue.
- Demosthenes

The Warhammer 40,000 universe is one of madness.
When the agents of the Emperor’s most Holy Orders of the Inquisition will call down Exterminatus upon a planet, when entire regiments of Imperial Guard will be executed in the aftermath of victory against daemonic forces lest word of the monstrosities they fought spread, to what terrible lengths will the forces of the Primordial Annihilator go to achieve their goals?

Inspirational Friday: The Ends Justify The Means runs until the 12th of May.

Let us be inspired.

And who shall judge this new challenge? That decision lies with our current judge: Carrack.
To the chosen winner, step forth and claim your prize:

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
Well even with just two contestants, this week was hard to judge because both stories had such different tone.

I choose Kierdale as the winner.

MaliGn

MaliGn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,297 posts
Congrats Kierdale, I rather enjoyed your story, a worthy winner.