Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Inspirational Friday 2017: The Black Legion (until 1/5)

Inspirational Friday Inspirational Friday 2017 Fanfic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
224 replies to this topic

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,801 posts
No flak, Urriak! I haven’t read it yet but thank you for the first entry :tu:

For those who are not interested in writing any fiction on the topic but are interested in discussion, we’ve discussed a few ideas in the thread in Amicus: HERE.

MaliGn

MaliGn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,306 posts

The Faithful Son

"What if Horus had won?!" The old warrior spat, bitterly injecting a savage inflection to the sentiment. "Let me tell you about 'What if Horus Won'" his lips twisted into a cruel snarl as he spoke the fallen Warmaster's name. "Horus was a fool, he never understood the Truth! He tried to make slaves out of Gods!" He shook his head and looked down, "What if Horus had won?" He muttered, almost to himself. "What would have happened then? The corpse-emperor fallen at his favoured son's feet? The whole Galaxy would have learned the Truth! The Truth that Blessed Lorgar found on Cadia! The Primordial, fundamental Truth that underpins everything." The ancient Word Bearer's eyes gleamed at the mention of his Primarch; where otherwise only hatred burned, for an instant something more shone. 

"Fear, Pain, Hunger, Despair, these are what keeps Humanity alive, not some guiding light, it has ever been so, when you strip back everything else it is the urgency of these base emotions that has always been the driving force of life itself." He paused, relishing the knowledge; licking his lips he continued: "These base emotions are the source of the Dark Gods' power, their very essence, this was Horus' biggest failure. He thought he could control them, control the Gods of the Empyrean! Pah! He may as well have tried to hold the snows of Fenris in his hands or parlay with an Ork!" The speaker paused, as if pleased with himself, he smiled in self-satisfaction. 

"Horus was lucky he lost, if he had won he would have tried to exert control over the uncontrollable, he would have attempted to wrestle his will onto the raw hunger of instinct personified! He was ever the puppet of the Dark Gods, a tool they would have discarded once it had served it's use." The smile was resolved by a disdainful sneer, "Horus was a plaything, nothing more, had he won he would have learnt just how fickle Chaos can be, he would have been torn apart, as would the Galaxy, now you may see that as a blessing, and perhaps it would have been. After all it would have allowed someone who truly understood the Truth to gain power." He smiled again, his thin lips twisting around his pointed teeth mockingly. 

"Lorgar knew, Lorgar had faith." His voice quickened, a note of fervour gripping him as he uttered his beloved primarch's name. "Lorgar would have ridden the ebb and flow of the tides of the raw unchecked emotion that would have engulfed the galaxy, he understood that change and alteration were inevitable and rather than fight against these things he would have been a noble pilot, dancing like a leaf on the wind!" His eyes almost began to glaze over with the reverence in his voice. "This is why the Aurelian has been in exclusion for millennia since Horus failed, preparing for the next opportunity to present itself, as it does now at the dawn of the so-called Dark Imperium! the Urizen's time is coming!" Spittle gathered at the corners of the fanatic's mouth, the cadence and pitch of his voice peaking as his excitement grew to a fever pitch. His eyes shone with barely controlled mania, "if Horus had won? Don't make me laugh!"

Sagentus

Sagentus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,650 posts
Urriak- great read and perspective of the iron warriors. Also i think the idea of the universe still being a massive battleground even if horus won and the way they are head hunting the other legions a great read

MaliGn - i really like the idea of horus winning beimg just a thought of the word bearer and how he saw horus was just a paw in the chaos gods game

Urriak Urruk

Urriak Urruk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 746 posts

Urriak- great read and perspective of the iron warriors. Also i think the idea of the universe still being a massive battleground even if horus won and the way they are head hunting the other legions a great read

MaliGn - i really like the idea of horus winning beimg just a thought of the word bearer and how he saw horus was just a paw in the chaos gods game

Thanks! I bet Horus believed that by killing the Emperor it would have been game over, he's the new big boss, roll credits. But from the loyalist perspective, Guilliman was already prepared to start over with Secundus, and the more wild Primarchs like Leman probably would have wanted Horus' head as some sort of consolation prize.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,801 posts
The Last
Hidden Content

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

Acuity

Hidden Content

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pnggallery2900461982240.pnggallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Warpmiss

Warpmiss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 388 posts
Imperium Novus

Spoiler

Also my first time participating in anything like this. I hope I didn't just write a mess.

Sagentus

Sagentus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,650 posts

First time trying this, i tried to incorporate my own army to

Spoiler

Edited by Sagentus, 24 November 2017 - 10:01 AM.

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts

Absent

Calebra Hive
Spoiler

Edited by Carrack, 24 November 2017 - 09:01 PM.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,801 posts
med_gallery_63428_7083_113631.png

Thank you all for your entries in Inspirational Friday 2017: If Horus had won. We had a good range of stories!
Urriak gave us From Ice and Iron, detailing the home system of the Imperial Fists (I don’t know how much of this fluff is canon but it was very good). I liked the `Frozen Cage` in this timeline, mirroring to some degree the Iron Cage of the normal timeline. The clash of old rivals turned foes: the Iron Warriors and the Imperial Fists. And an interesting turn of events – and Primarch – at the end. If that’s your first attempt at writing, Urriak, you have quite a talent. I hope you’ll give us more in the future.

The Faithful Son was MaliGn’s entry, in which a veteran Word Bearer scorned the very notion of Horus having won. Perhaps this marine understands Chaos better than Horus did? Or he underestimates the Favoured Son? We’ll never know.

The Last was my entry for this theme. I took us an unspecified number of millennia past the Horus Heresy. Chaos had burned itself out, particularly in the case of Khorne, Nurgle and Tzeentch, with the conquest of Terra and the destruction of Mankind. The Eldar had risen once again, though not quite in the way they are in the normal timeline. I realized that Nurgle losing power would likely mean that Isha could escape: the Eldar would have a goddess of life, rather than an avatar of death. And in this timeline the priesthood (equivalent to warlocks and farseers) had taken a lesson from the near-forgotten Imperium and kept the masses all but ignorant of Chaos. The priest in the story, charged with exterminating Humanity wherever they might find it, even slays their comrades to terminate what they believe to the be last human. Or is it just the last Sensei? Either way, a god is inadvertently born (without a race to worship it?).

Scourged’s entry, Acuity reunited the Alpha Legion – now under Omegon – with the Cabal. I thoroughly enjoyed this piece and really liked Omegon’s motivation. What indeed could be any more human? The mention of the other legions and their doings was a nice background addition.

I’m very glad that Warpmiss didn’t give up on her piece, Imperium Novus. It was good to see things from the point of view of a mortal, a cog in the wheel, still turning but with someone else turning the handle. To see how the administration of the turned Imperium would steadily change (no doubt to greater madness in the years to come). I liked that the story mentioned the Lectitio Divinitatus as it’s one of my favourite pieces of fluff about the Emperor, Lorgar and the Word Bearers.

Sagentus – also another first-time entry (give us more!) – gave us a tale of World Eaters assaulting Valhalla in the wake of Terra’s fall. It was short but captured the bloodthirst of the berserkers very well. A little more about the changed timeline would have made it stand out more, I feel.

Absent was Carrack’s piece, taking us once more to Calebra Hive and yet another twist on the theme. The timeline hadn’t changed at all, but for those below a certain level of the hive, life existed – to some twisted extent – as if Horus had been victorious, and Chaos reigned. That was a very interesting point, that even in the 41st millennium, likely there are areas where things have not changed, where Chaos was still prevalent, since the Heresy.

I hereby close that topic but if anyone has more stories on that theme, at any time, please post them here with a suitable title.

And here begins our twenty-second challenge of Inspirational Friday 2017:
Exalted Champions
Champions of Chaos vying for power, rewards and the recognition of the Chaos Lords and gods they serve (and indeed no doubt the position of the former!), these potent warriors inspire their brethren and reap rewards from their patrons (not to mention the spoils of war). Brave warriors seeking out glory upon the battlefield. Commanders of fellow astartes. Corrupt madmen.

Tell us this time a tale of an exalted champion. Photos welcome too msn-wink.gif

IF2017: Exalted Champion runs until the 8th of December.

Let us be inspired.

And who shall judge this new challenge? That decision lies with our current judge: Warsmith Aznable.

The winner of IF2017: Exalted Champion shall claim the Octed amulet:
gallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Trevak Dal

Trevak Dal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,337 posts
I knew I wasn't going to make the deadline, but now after reading your story Kierdale I'm not sure I want to continue as mine has a similar theme (Tau centric though, in what would be m50k) as they discover the ruins of the various human worlds, are warned off by Eldar (who the Tau Empire have a mutual alliance with along with several other xenos races).

There are no humans in my story. At all, spoilers-the Cabal's plan worked, humanity is dead'd. The Tyranids attacked but were repelled and deterred. All in all its just like it says in the tag line "humanity will not be missed" and life goes on in the Milky Way.

It centers around an Earthcaste archeology mission, who followed a series of clues back to the Human Home Sept (Sol).

Edited by Trevak Dal, 25 November 2017 - 08:32 PM.

"Our Turn" - Centurion Khârn.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,801 posts
Trevak, please do write it up. I’d love to read it :tu:

Urriak Urruk

Urriak Urruk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 746 posts

Sorry, does someone get picked as a winner of each challenge? I'm curious who won the last one.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,801 posts
Urriak, as Warsmtih Aznable won IF: Chaos vs. Imperial Guard, he’ll pronounce judgment on IF: If Horus won... at some point before the current challenge closes :)

Warsmith Aznable

Warsmith Aznable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,713 posts

I am sorry for the delay; it's been a busy weekend!

I'll cut to the chase: MaliGn's "The Faithful Son" is the winner I choose.

What I like about it is that it capture's the arrogance of the zealot perfectly. I can totally see a Word Bearer thinking and saying exactly these things with utter and unironic sincerity. The story is simple, to the point, convincing, and well executed.

It's always hard to choose, but it is an honour to bear the responsibility. Thank you all; I enjoyed reading everyone's work.

The Iron Hounds (CSM) project log here & IA here. | Our Martyred Lady (SoB) project log here  | Lamenters (BA) WIP thread here.

Index of Inspiration Friday entries here.

gallery_29004_9303_844.pnggallery_53134_9839_10377.jpggallery_53134_9839_46080.jpggallery_53134_9839_9398.jpggallery_29004_9303_844.png

"Three times faster than the usual Warsmith."

Warpmiss

Warpmiss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 388 posts

Congratulations, MaliGn!! Enjoy the amulet of the Gods!

As for the new challenge, I feel like I should write something about my IW boys since I want to write some fluff for them anyway but I kinda want to draw something instead! Not sure if I'd be able to do either of those things, though. sweat.gif

MaliGn

MaliGn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,306 posts

Truly humbled to win this one, I know that there was an expectation for this to be more of an alternate history theme, but I had a flash of inspiration and ran with it. I'm glad that it seems to have come across more or less as I intended, one of my favourite parts of the hobby was the short halfpage to a page stories that used to be all through white dwarf and the codexes, rulebooks etc, often written by those that have now become the Black Library authors. These excerpts would not always feature a full story but all would hint at the bigger picture, I miss this aspect a bit and have often found a worthy replacement in this series of threads.

It was certainly in this vein that I tried to write my entry, an incomplete meeting between an unknown listener and the protagonist that aims to leave more unsaid than said.

I'm very pleased that this seems to have worked and my thanks again. I look forward to reading the entries I will be judging.

Macbeefin

Macbeefin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 34 posts

I really enjoyed all of the If Horus had won stories, so I was inspired to try my hand at a story about an Exalted Champion. Hope you guys enjoy. 

Unworthy

Hidden Content

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

A less-than-serious entry this time around. While ruminating on idea for this week, something struck me within the descriptions of the Exalted Champion - how they constantly fight for the attention of their patrons just for the chance to be noticed and rewarded. Enjoy my thinly-veiled silliness, friends.

Hidden Content

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pnggallery2900461982240.pnggallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,801 posts
med_gallery_63428_7083_113631.png

Thank you for your entries in Inspirational Friday 2017: Exalted Champion.
Only two, but good ones (for different reasons biggrin.png).
Macbeefin gave us Unworthy, with Raxus the exalted champion of Khorne. While once he had been constantly tortured by the Butcher’s Nails, longing for release, he now hungers for them, seeking combat wherever he can in order to awaken them once more.

Thinly veiled indeed! Kouhai? Senpai? Tsundere? biggrin.pngScourged, you can’t sneak these past someone who lives in Japan. I found it very amusing and I’m sure we could all see the punchline coming from a mile away (and still enjoyed it).

I did get started on a piece for this topic myself but it started going down a different path – though a good path – so I’m going to keep working on that for a possible future IF theme (namely `Fallen Hero`. ‘t would be unfair if I didn’t let others know that its coming too).

I hereby close that topic but if anyone has more stories on that theme, at any time, please post them here with a suitable title.

And here begins our twenty-third (and final) challenge of Inspirational Friday 2017:
The Black Legion
Formed from the remains of the XVI Legion: the Sons of Horus (and before that, the Luna Wolves), the Black Legion were so named by their new leader, Ezekyle Abaddon.
The Black Legion operates as countless warbands, raiding the Imperium at the whim of their lords and commanders, uniting as one unstoppable force under the banner of Abaddon when he begins his Black Crusades.
And the Legion does not only comprise the scions of the warmaster, for myriad warbands now wear the black, having sworn loyalty to the Legion seeking power, vengeance...or forced to do so by the Legion itself.
Unlike many warbands and former legions, the Black Legion includes devotees of all the Chaos deities (and indeed those who swear no allegiance to any deity).
The Khornate Hounds of Abaddon, the Slaaneshi Children of Torment, the Tzeentchian Sons of the Cyclops, the Nurgle-worshipping Bringers of Decay, the forsaken Oath-Broken and the possessed Tormented. There are even former members of loyalist legions and chapters, such as the Lost Lion.

Tell us this time a tale of the Black Legion, be they the protagonists or antagonists.
IF2017: Black Legion runs until the 5th of January. With the festive season being busy, you’ve got almost a month!

Let us be inspired.

And who shall judge this new challenge? That decision lies with our current judge: MaliGn.

The winner of IF2017: Black Legion shall claim the Eye of Horus amulet:
gallery_63428_7083_16990.png

MaliGn

MaliGn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,306 posts
Tricky to choose here, but I have picked a winner, mainly because I felt it captured the bloodthirater ruthlessness of a khornate champion, Macbeefin's story Unworthy takes the Octed this week.

Macbeefin

Macbeefin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 34 posts

Thanks for reading guys. I've always found it especially cruel how it seems some of the most infamous Chaos champions seem to rarely be granted Daemonhood  (Khârn, Abaddon etc), and yet there are plenty of Daemon Princes around who are far less prolific and yet have somehow been gifted immortality by the gods! I tried to capture how (an already pretty angry) berserker champion might feel about this - his supporters idolise him, and his prowess is unmatched, yet the only approval he desires, from Khorne, is instead given to some berserker Raxus easily defeats. The gods are as unknowable as they are fickle!

Shout outs to Scourged as well... the whole thing flew over my head until I read the last line haha. Had a good laugh after that.

Blackcadian

Blackcadian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 309 posts

From Ice and Iron

This is my first attempt at something like this, don't give me too much flak! I got to expand on the murky fluff of Dorn's homeworld and try and weave a redemption in there if all the Primarchs are supposed to eventually turn on Horus.

EDIT: Fixed a typo.

Well done Urriak - I think this may well be the first piece of Iron Warrior fluff that I actually like! There’s some emotion in it, unlike in say Storm of Iron. As I said, well done!

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,801 posts
The IF2018 thread is up and I’m allowing two more weeks for the Black Legion topic. If the festive season was as busy for you as it was for me, no writing got done. :D

Warpmiss

Warpmiss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 388 posts

Wow, thanks for that, Kierdale! I had an idea for the Black Legion topic but didn't get around to writing it. I'll be taking this second chance!