"Coils of the Hydra" Deep Strike prerequisites

Caillum

Just came across this while discussing "Rewards of Treason" units...

In "Coils of the Hydra", one of the restrictions is this:

"Infantry squads that do not have either a Dedicated Transport or the ability to Infiltrate or Deep Strike may not be chosen as part of this force."

Pretty simple for the most part: if you don't take a unit AND a Dedicated Transport, then they must have the ability to Infiltrate or Deep Strike. Assault Marines, for instance, have the ability to Deep Strike, but they don't have to do so.

The ability to Infiltrate can also be granted by Mutable Tactics, and either can be granted by Warlord Traits, giving you some options to avoid buying lots of Dedicated Transports.

Now, Withershadow just asked this question: does a transport with the Deep Strike special rule help meet the requirements of this RoW, provided the Infantry squad starts the game embarked on it?

Looking at it, I'm inclined to think it does. The Infantry squad arrives from Deep Strike, it just so happens to so via a transport. There's a precedent for this sort of thing, with regards to Interceptor, as you can use Interceptor to shoot at a unit that has just arrived from Deep Strike via a transport.

The following units would work for this prerequisite:

- Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod,

- Kharybdis Assault Claw,

- Storm Eagle Assault Gunship,

- Caestus Assault Ram

- Darkwing Pattern Storm Eagle Gunship,

- Thunderhawk Gunship,

- Thunderhawk Transporter,

- Sokar Pattern Stormbird.

Anyone have any reason this shouldn't fly? Not looking to break the game here, just helping a restrictive Rite of War to be a little more flexible. :)

I had this discussion years ago when the rules for CotH and AL were first published.

My gaming group decided not to allow it, since the Deep Striking flyer / pod / whatever is neither the infantry units dedicated transport, nor does it grant the DS USR to the unit it transports. The vehicle is merely deep striking itself, and taking a unit along for the ride.

And thus I never got to use my Storm Eagle this way ... 

Fair call people. It wasn't a line of thinking I'd considered before, that's all.

For what it's worth, I wasn't trying to say it gave the squad the Deep Strike special rule, rather that it gave them "the ability to Deep Strike".

So...The only way to take Alpharius (Or any other HQ) in a Coils army is to use the Infiltrate mutable tactic, seeing as they doesn't have it base and can't take a DT? :/

Or is it okay because they're not an 'Infantry Squad'?

It doesn't work on Alpharius as he doesn't have the legion astartes rule...

Right, so you can't take Alpharius at all, seeing as he can never Deep Strike, Infiltrate, or use a DT? Using One of Many isn't any of those so I don't think that'd get past the problem.

That's what I thought, but Coils specifically prohibits you from taking an Infantry unit at all withoit one of those 3 things. The RoW cuts you off from putting those units without them in your list list from the get-go.

Perhaps I am just mighty confused, but it seems a tad odd to me. Also, HQs still would have to be Infiltrated seeing as they can't take a DT or Deep Strike.

I can't quite fathom why this discussion pops up every couple months, but alas.

The RoW specifically states that INFANTRY SQUADS must have the ability to Deep Strike  (by themselves, not by some other FOC choice) or take a dedicated transport.

An Independent Character is not an infantry squad.

An thus your HQ choice can be attached a unit and ride with them in their DT.

Oh, got no more space in the Rhinos your Tacs are riding in ? Well, then find another way.

CotH can be tricky to make it work and it's also quite specific. That's the main reason I almost never play it.

AL excels at making the more generic rites even better, that's why I most often go for LRC, Chosen Duty, PotL or Sacrifical Offering.

If and when I run CotH I most often use the reserve shenangians setup to the fullest:  Skorr joining a unit of Destroyers in their dedicated LR Proteus with Augury Web, for a total of -3 to enemy reserve rolls.

You're very welcome.

Let's face it, Forge World made a great game with the HH series, but sometimes the wording in their rules is ... not the most consistent.

Still, they're doing a better job at it than GW with their monthly updates and codex releases and soon-to-be Age of the Emperor game ...   xD

Also, I'm a person all for spending more time at the gaming table with friends and a chill mug of beer as opposed to theory-hammering and interpreting text passages. 

I can't quite fathom why this discussion pops up every couple months, but alas.

The RoW specifically states that INFANTRY SQUADS must have the ability to Deep Strike  (by themselves, not by some other FOC choice) or take a dedicated transport.

An Independent Character is not an infantry squad.

An thus your HQ choice can be attached a unit and ride with them in their DT.

While I agree that this is probably the intention of the writers, the problem is that infantry squad is never defined. So we do not know whether an independent character (or any other one model unit of the infantry type) is or is not an infantry squad. It definitely is an infantry unit.

Archived