Dark Lord of the Inquisition ... or something like that

A few years ago I began initial planning for the core of a daemonhunters army, only getting as far as the inquisitor that would lead the force. I can't find that topic, so I suspect that it has been archived. I didn't get far in that discussion, though, and things have changed a bit, so it's time to begin planning the force anew.

Codex: Imperial Agents has provided me with inspiration to begin working on this force again. The nature of that codex, however, is not that it necessarily provides for a complete army to built from the units within (except, of course, for the Adepta Sororitas). Rather, that codex seems intended to provide gamers with a variety of ways to expand upon or fill gaps within armies built using the other codices for the various forces of the Imperium. So what I'm looking at is building a small force that I can add to another army. This force isn't intended to be complete in and of itself - it's decorative and fun and thematic.

"Thematic?" huh.png

Disclaimer up front - I'm working with a theme of the Sith from the Star Wars universe. No, I'm not talking about a mash-up (though there's nothing wrong with mash-ups). I just want the small force to be evocative of the Sith from Star Wars while fully retaining a "proper" grimdark Warhammer 40,000 feel.

gallery_44777_3498_17325.jpg
It all starts with my inquisitor. The base model for my inquisitor will be the cowled crusader model, seen at right. I'm going to have to do a little work to ensure that the model stands out as an inquisitor instead of a crusader, and so that it might potentially be visually recognizable as a (potential) warlord for the larger force. First things first (and possibly the only real thing), I'm going to have to lose the shield as neither of the inquisitor options (more on that in a bit) allow for an inquisitor to have a storm shield. I can see two easy options here. First, I can carefully remove the shield so that the arm/hand remain (largely) intact, then add a weapon to that hand. Alternately, I could chop the arm/hand and repose them so that they hand down at the model's side, possibly holding something. I'm not too keen on the first option as the right arm is already in a somewhat static position (which I really like) - it would seem kind of awkward for both hands/arms to be similarly posed. The second option is far more attractive, though a bit more work. I can easily envision the arm held ever-so-slightly raised with the palm up, as if the inquisitor is holding something (psyker energy, perhaps). Oh, did I mention that the inquisitor will definitely be a psyker? Yes, the intent is for the inquisitor to evoke a dark lord of the Sith kind of vibe (probably more Kylo Ren than Darth Vader now). The model will be painted with a black cowl/cloak and black tabard, while the armor will be metallic (I'm still debating between silver and bronze, but I'm leaning towards silver). The blade will most likely be painted to resemble a sith lightsaber in terms of colors. The spot color will be red, with a few other minor additions here and there. The border of the external cowl/cloak will have a decorative border, much as the image at right, though probably white and red, and probably not a checkerboard pattern (though I haven't decided upon a final pattern yet).

Before I go further, it's important to make clear that the inquisitorial force will be built as an Inquisitorial Henchman Warband found on page 131 of C:IA. So the two mandatory elements are an inquisitor and a unit of acolytes. There are a number of optional elements of the warband and also the option to use the Chambers Militant rule to bring an additional squad as part of the formation. Since I'm going for the Star Wars sith vibe, this drives me to make the Inquisitor hail from the Ordo Xenos with the chamber militant unit representing a unit of Deathwatch veterans.

I've already established that he will be upgraded to a psyker, so it's a given that I'll replace "any weapon" (the chainsword) with a force weapon since he's a psyker, so I'm focused on what to do with the other weapon (the bolt pistol). I'm considering two options. First is to exchange the bolt pistol for a power sword. Alternately, I could exchange the bolt pistol for a conversion beamer. Following the first option, while I'd love to simply explain to my opponent that the inquisitor actually has a force weapon and a power weapon, "but you only see him holding one sword," I feel almost obligated to make a concession to WYSIWYG by adding the hilt of a weapon protruding from beneath his cloak. The benefit of the "two swords" option is that he would gain an Attack; though I suppose it's worth mentioning that he would be 30 points cheaper than the conversion beamer option. With the conversion beamer option, I would rely upon some degree of creativity with the WYSIWYG and explain that the "glowy whatever thingy" in his open left hand is warp energy that is represented by the conversion beamer. My concern, again, is WYSIWYG, but there's no way I'm going to model something that would be recognizable as a conversion beamer on this guy.

Moving on, the chamber militant comes into play. While the Deathwatch veterans rules would be used, I would fall back on the Crimson Guard from Star Wars, especially with their brief appearance in Rogue One showing that they are not limited to guarding the Emperor/Darth Sidious. So I'd probably model these guys as being from the Red Hunters Chapter. In order to differentiate these guys from another Space Marine force (since the larger force I'm likely to add this inquisitorial warband to will be a Space Marine army), I'll probably use Mk IV armor from the Betrayal at Calth game, Mk III armor from the Burning of Prospero game, or both. Alternately, I might use the Custodian Guard miniatures from the Burning of Prospero game since the Deathwatch veterns would have a boltgun and a power weapon (spear). Well, perhaps just the hands/guardian spears from the Custodian Guard miniatures on Mk III/IV armor. Or perhaps I should mix in some sentinel blades/storm shields - at least one for the Watch Sergeant's xenophase blade. Yes, this squad would be limited to the bare minimum of 5 veterans.

Moving back to the rest of the warband, I'm looking to keep the Acolytes to the minimum of 3 models, upgrading all of them to Mystics, and then modeling them as ... something ... maybe evoking K-2SO (but not too much - I need to preserve the grimdark integrity of the force and anything blatantly Star Wars would ruin things). Basically, the acolytes are mandatory, but I don't really see them fulfilling a necessary role in the warband with regard to the Star Wars thing. It is likely that these would be represented as droids servitors. Coloring of these guys would match the armor of the inquisitor, with a dominant spot color (most likely black).

gallery_44777_3498_1252.jpg
There are two optional elements of the formation that I am looking at, however. The first, and a must-have, is a tech-priest enginseer. I love the miniature (the version I have is seen at right), and my inquisitor needs someone to keep his augmetics working. This guy would be colored similarly to the inquisitor, but with red robes out much as the image at right. The second element is one or more (six max) Jokaero weaponsmiths, though these would probably be modeled as droids servitors (different in appearance from the "mystics," even if only by virtue of a different spot color and obvious "digital weapons").

Another "must-have" for the warband is a ride. The Acolytes can take a [sororitas] rhino or a Land raider (Deimos, Crusader, or Redeemer). I'm more keen on a Land raider variant, most likely the Deimos unless I need the Crusade (the latter only if I take more than ten total models). The plan would be for the vehicle to be able to embark the entire warband, which starts at ten models (1 inquisitor + 3 acolytes + 5 Deathwatch veterans + 1 tech priest enginseer). So I'd only need the Crusader if I add the Jokaero weaponsmiths, and would be limited to 5 "Jokaero weaponsmiths" (fewer if I take additional "acolytes"). No, I'm not even considering the chimera (I don't have any) or the valkyrie (again, I don't have any, and I'm not a fan of flyers in the game). Again, the color scheme would match the inquisitor's armor, with black and red as the dominant spot colors.

Hopefully it is evident that this isn't intended to be a competitive formation. This is intended to be a fun addition to a larger force, and the composition of that larger force is irrelevant. I just want this to be a fun force that pays homage to Star Wars while (hopefully) remaining true to the Warhammer 40,000 universe.

My goal with this topic, other than to solicit feedback, is to provide progress (if I make any) and the background. I'll build some preliminary background for the various elements, but will provide full backgrounds for each element as I complete the models.

Fingers crossed...

Ah, if I ever get my "Sith" Eldar army finished, we should have a "Sith" vs. "Sith" game and batrep. msn-wink.gif

Have you considered the Blood Angels bits for your "Crimson Guard" miniatures? Those might give some distinctiveness from "normal" Space Marines.

Ah, if I ever get my "Sith" Eldar army finished, we should have a "Sith" vs. "Sith" game and batrep. msn-wink.gif

Well I only have one "Sith" in my army, so if you only have one, then we're okay within the Rule of Two. msn-wink.gif

Have you considered the Blood Angels bits for your "Crimson Guard" miniatures? Those might give some distinctiveness from "normal" Space Marines.

Hmmm...I hadn't thought about the Blood Angels, but I will now. I'll have to see if I have enough for 5 minis.

Having just seen rogue one (probably the best one yet, let's be honest), and being an avid starwars fan meself (not that it holds a candle to WH40k), I am very intrigued by the project! Love the idea of an imperial cult led by a nasty ambitious character, hell-bent toward his own self-serving goals and aspirations, and drawing on Imperial resources to do so. Oooh so many rogue trader ideas.. anyway I love the guy you chose for your "Sith" Master, I think a combination pallet would be well suited! If I may though, there is no way to attach the Acolytes to the Veterans, and the ICs would have to choose.. But with that backstory there is PLENTY of potential composition. And for weapons? Any one of the Mandalorians would tell you to how effective a ripper is. Basically primitive projective weapons in starwars are called slugthrowers, and the Mandalorian "ripper" is a pistol that fires projectiles instead of energy beams like BLASTERS!laugh.png which makes personal shielding useless in most cases.. Psybolt/psycannon/boltweapon/forceweapon/daemon"sith"weapon combos, and Acolytes in Power Armor Got 5! points cheaper per model in C: IA and carapace armor is 3pt cheaper p/m..

• Deathwatch Bodyguards as Elite Imperial "Super" Soldiers
  • Inquisitor with Free fw ML1 and bolt pistol as mercenary rogue "sith" lord.. maybe with rad/psychotroke grenades
  • Acolytes in PA or CA with hotshot lasguns could be nice, and Plasma guns seem a nice star wars fit
  • Bring the Astropath as a ML1 sith apprentice
  • Robed priest is a much to hold the space of the Sith Order
  • death cult assassins would fit perfectly into this story and you could call their swords vibroblades!

As for colors, I love the look of dark red on both silver and gold.. But keeping your gold nice and dark and rich with yellow would provide a juicy contrast to the deep sith crimson.. His robes should probably be black but this might allow for some sweet object source lighting from his saber (daemon blade/force weapon- on a side note both of those weapons have melee rule and therefore gain +1 attack if you're swinging with the fw instead of the daemonblade, so you get to choose. Sounds very sithy to me.) but his armor could be any combination of white/black like Ventress, silver or blue like Grievous or Jango... But Gold would be very grim dark and red would seem like royal sith.. plenty of money for a squad of deathwatch bodyguards and an imperial sith cult to back them up..

Having just seen rogue one (probably the best one yet, let's be honest), and being an avid starwars fan meself (not that it holds a candle to WH40k), I am very intrigued by the project! Love the idea of an imperial cult led by a nasty ambitious character, hell-bent toward his own self-serving goals and aspirations, and drawing on Imperial resources to do so. Oooh so many rogue trader ideas.. anyway I love the guy you chose for your "Sith" Master, I think a combination pallet would be well suited! If I may though, there is no way to attach the Acolytes to the Veterans, and the ICs would have to choose.. But with that backstory there is PLENTY of potential composition. And for weapons? Any one of the Mandalorians would tell you to how effective a ripper is. Basically primitive projective weapons in starwars are called slugthrowers, and the Mandalorian "ripper" is a pistol that fires projectiles instead of energy beams like BLASTERS!laugh.png which makes personal shielding useless in most cases.. Psybolt/psycannon/boltweapon/forceweapon/daemon"sith"weapon combos, and Acolytes in Power Armor Got 5! points cheaper per model in C: IA and carapace armor is 3pt cheaper p/m..

• Deathwatch Bodyguards as Elite Imperial "Super" Soldiers
  • Inquisitor with Free fw ML1 and bolt pistol as mercenary rogue "sith" lord.. maybe with rad/psychotroke grenades
  • Acolytes in PA or CA with hotshot lasguns could be nice, and Plasma guns seem a nice star wars fit
  • Bring the Astropath as a ML1 sith apprentice
  • Robed priest is a much to hold the space of the Sith Order
  • death cult assassins would fit perfectly into this story and you could call their swords vibroblades!
As for colors, I love the look of dark red on both silver and gold.. But keeping your gold nice and dark and rich with yellow would provide a juicy contrast to the deep sith crimson.. His robes should probably be black but this might allow for some sweet object source lighting from his saber (daemon blade/force weapon- on a side note both of those weapons have melee rule and therefore gain +1 attack if you're swinging with the fw instead of the daemonblade, so you get to choose. Sounds very sithy to me.) but his armor could be any combination of white/black like Ventress, silver or blue like Grievous or Jango... But Gold would be very grim dark and red would seem like royal sith.. plenty of money for a squad of deathwatch bodyguards and an imperial sith cult to back them up..

While I'm drawing upon some imagery from Star Wars, I want to keep it consistent and focused around the inquisitor. Bringing the Mandalorians in would confuse the issue a bit (and I may work on such an idea later as another project). The core idea here is the "Sith" inquisitor and his bodyguard, which is focused around the Adeptus Astartes. I considered an Ordo Malleus inquisitor (allowing a daemon weapon), but the Grey Knights options didn't feel appropriate. The Ordo Hereticus isn't even a player because the chamber militant is the Adepta Sororitas, and those don't work for the theme. So I'm pretty much limited to the Ordo Xenos [because of my own self-imposed limitations], which means no daemon weapon.

The character of the inquisitor isn't necessarily one of ambition. Rather, the key adjective would be "sinister." When this inquisitor arrives, his reputation precedes him and you just know you're in trouble (much as Darth Vader's appearance at the second Death Star presaged bad things for the guy in charge).

Xenos inquisitors that can requisition DW cannot take a daemon weapon.

Correct. His weapon will be a force weapon.

Game-wise: just take the DW as a separate detachment (e.g. the Kill-Team from C:IA).

Fluff-wise: the boundaries between the Ordos are quite fluid - see the Eisenhorn trilogy for a parallel.

The Inquisitorial Henchman Warband is the formation around which this idea is being based, with the "Deathwatch" taken as part of that formation's rules. This isn't for a competitive list - it's a fun add-on to the main list (which will be Codex: Space Marines of one flavor or another).

With regards to transportation... How about converting a Corvus Blackstar into an Imperial Shuttle?

That is an excellent idea, but won't work. I'm using the Inquisitorial Henchman Warband as the formation for this guy and, while the Deathwatch Veterans are part of the formation, I'm going to avoid the potential for argument that taking a Corvus Blackstar would invite (it's not an option for the acolytes, which are the base of the formation). It's something to consider, though, and I wish I'd thought of this.

Ultimately, while I want the formation to evoke the imagery of the Sith from Star Wars, I don't want things to be too overt. The formation must look like it belongs in the Warhammer 40,000 universe.

Of course, right on all accounts, I guess I just got caught up in the spirit! It's all just brainstorming at this point, though, and your hindering your creative process ^ , our ultimate, and sinister Inquisitor would surround himself with the perfect bodyguard from an expansive galaxy, and would naturally follow a cycle through periods of both respite and ambition. It's my understanding that you want a character and retinue that are very specific.. certainly sounds like your got your vision already, so begin the project and we'll assist you in the progress.. Vader spent years in meditation, as well as much of his later life actively hunting Jedi and also hiring assassins/bounty hunters to assist. I really think you should go back and read ^ what i wrote again with that in mind. Both universes are so expansive and evolutionarily (and much of the imagery) similar that you have virtually limitless possibilities for cross-over characters, and retinues.

• 3 months later...

Well, the Shadow War game has changed my outlook on this. Shadow War Armageddon is the perfect vehicle for this idea and my lack of time to complete a "real" Warhammer 40,000 army. While I had initially considered a Grey Knights kill team, the publication of the Ordo Xenos inquisition has given me a vehicle for this project. While I imagine my "Dark Lord of the Inquisition" as a more sinister Ordo Malleus type of inquisitor, rules for that ordo aren't available yet. I think I can make the Ordo Xenos work. For now. msn-wink.gif

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor, power sword, storm shield, power armour, digital weapons

Crusader, power sword, storm shield

Inquisitorial Acolyte, sniper rifle, telescopic sight, camo gear, photo-visor

Inquisitorial Acolyte, storm bolter

Inquisitorial Acolyte, storm bolter

Inquisitorial Acolyte, shotgun

That's 1,000 points exactly. It's only 6 models, though, so I may have to reconsider some things if I want to maximize boots on the ground. One thing I might do is drop the crusader and save that bit for a Deathwatch Veteran (Red Hunter standing in, of course). I might then put two additional models into the fray, one focused on hand-to-hand and the other augmenting the base of fire (perhaps another sniper?).

Archived