Hello there,

for those Fraters out there, who are not familiar with our project:

Alternate Heresy

18 completely new Legions

More than two factions

Some canon characters in completely different roles

A different outcome than canon

BLING! BLING! BLING!

AND tons of awesome stuff done by some of the most creatives minds I've ever encountered

So we decided to come up with our own wiki page in order to give YOU (yes, YOU, sitting in front of a desktop, reading this right now) a better overview about the project, its characters, its stories and so on.

You might have noticed that we already got 110 (plus this one) threads in our little niche of the B&C community. That's a hell lot to read in order to catch up.

A wiki might give you a better chance to do so. http://image.bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png

Long speech short, here is the link: http://botl.wikia.com/wiki/The_Brotherhood_of_the_Lost_Wiki

Bare in mind that this has recently started. Therefore, we are currently eager to fill this wiki with our stuff. Updates will be done nearly daily, so stay tuned. http://image.bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_emoticons/default/msn-wink.gif

As some of us are not familiar with wikis and how to work with them, this thread shall serve as a Q&A session.

Hope you will enjoy what you will see here and there as well.

Kelborn http://image.bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png

Edited by Kelborn

Some of the things you will use most often are headers

==level1==
===level2===
====level3====
And so on...

Links inside the wiki

[[Title_of_linked_page]]
[[Title_of_linked_page|"used text"]]
And bolds italics,

''bold''
'''Italic'''
''''Bolditalic''''
(Some of these may be switched round, so feel free to experiment a bit and pm me if you notice I got something wrong :P)

Ah, figured it out. Given that the Lost Angels are not a legion, and do not have a primarch or homeworld, should i make a new template infobox for non-legion factions, or should i use the current template and just put 'n/a'  on all inapplicable fields (like primogenitor)? 

EDIT: I'm making an infobox template for non-legion factions like the Mechanicum and Auxilia. What 'labels' should I include? So far I have Known Leader(s), Allegiance, Noteworthy Domains, Strategic Tendencies, Colours. Anything else?

Edited by foamy248

Yay, finished the primarch redirect pages (until someone comes along and finds a variation I haven't thought of). So now, if you want to create a link to say, Alexandros, you'll be able to write

[[Alexandros]]

rather than

[[Alexandros Darshan VonSalim|Alexandros]]

or

[[VonSalim]]

rather than

[[Alexandros Darshan VonSalim|VonSalim]]

if you wish to use the warmaster's last name in your text.

I haven't created a redirect page for the nickname "Alex" as it could be ambiguous between Alexandros and Alexos, and I'm not going to bother with any other nicknames for the moment.

If in the future you want to create your own redirections (one never knows), you just have to create an article page for what you want to redirect, and type the following piece of wikitext in that page (and only that line!):

#redirect [[Full name of the article]]

EDIT: Oh, also, before I forget, if you ever want to create a link to a category page (lets say, Category:Primarchs), you can create it by typing:

[[:Category:Primarchs|Primarchs]]

In this case, don't forget that all important ":" before category, because otherwise it will add the current page you are working on to the category, rather than create a link.

EDIT2:

I've created two new templates, which add a little information to the beginning of an article about the creators of said article, and template to say that information is being ported over from the B&C. The first is used like this:

{{Creator|User1|User2}}

You can add (IIRC) 6 user names as creators, so only the primary contributors should be included for that. Simply add a "|" between each user.

Also, this creates a link and a category for a WIKIA user (and not a B&C user), so you can add a link to your B&C member account in your wikia account presentation, if you so choose (I'll try and do something similar in mine so you have an example). Remember to use the Wikia username rather then the B&C username ;)

the Migration template is far simpler:

Migration

:)

Edited by Lord Thørn

I'm so confused. How do I edit the Legiones Astartes info boxes?

Edit as in change what can be in the astartes box on any page, or edit the content for your specific page?

For those who know ooprogramming, the class or the instance?

The latter is quite a bit easier, though I may have seen it be a bit buggy on this wiki.

When you click on edit page, you'll see one or two green puzzle pieces: these are how "templates" (including infoboxes) appear in your edit page - click once on either and it'll give you a glimpse at what it looks like when saved. Find the template you need before the next step: once with the template overlook open, there *should* be an edit button that appears in one of the corners if you hover the mouse in the box - click on that and it'll give you the infobox edit page.

Now, when doing my own editing, I've not seen that "edit infobox" button, but I prefer going through the source code anyway, so here's a failsafe method of editing that way:

When in the article edit page, at the top right hand corner of the main box, there'll be a "source" tab that you'll need to click open - this is a different way of viewing the editing stage, which crucially gives you all the information in your infoboxes. They'll be presented as:

{{legionesastartes|numeration=Vth Legion|primarch=Alexandros Darshan VonShalim}}

(I can't remember the exact name of the template in question, so you're going to copy the first element between the {{ and the | which is the exact name of the template - now you're going to open a new navigator tab and go to the address

botl.wikia.com/wiki/template:(the name you copied)

This will open the infobox's main definition: crucially, there's a list of possible items in your infobox - you'll be able to add any one of these (a single time each) to the infobox on your page: don't worry about the order, just as long as each item is separated by a | and you put an = between the item name and the item content. Remember to keep the infoboxs name as first element http://image.bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png

If needed, I'll try and take some screenshots later http://image.bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png

Edited by Lord Thørn

All I'm trying to do is add in the other infobox stuff, allegiance, numeration, etc. I don't see an Edit button. All I see is the top-right 'X' and the 'Delete' button in the bottom-right.

All I'm trying to do is add in the other infobox stuff, allegiance, numeration, etc. I don't see an Edit button. All I see is the top-right 'X' and the 'Delete' button in the bottom-right.

Yep, i had a look since writing this and couldn't see it either, so your best bet would be to do it through the "source" method. I've added a couple of items to the halcyon wardens which might help you work from there

Try to use as many links as possible in infoboxes (like the alexandros link i added) even if the linked page hasn't been created yet: this allows the possibility to easily expand into the pages we know are needed

Yep, i had a look since writing this and couldn't see it either, so your best bet would be to do it through the "source" method. I've added a couple of items to the halcyon wardens which might help you work from there

Try to use as many links as possible in infoboxes (like the alexandros link i added) even if the linked page hasn't been created yet: this allows the possibility to easily expand into the pages we know are needed

+1 Programming Skill

Thank you. I've managed to edit the Infobox so that it's now showing all the pertinent info.

Question, what's the proper etiquette for linked keywords? Do you just link the first instance of that key word, like 'Unification Wars', or are you supposed to have a link for every iteration of the key word/phrase?

Question, what's the proper etiquette for linked keywords? Do you just link the first instance of that key word, like 'Unification Wars', or are you supposed to have a link for every iteration of the key word/phrase?

What I generally see is the first instance of a word per main section (the == sections ==) and I think that seems to work rather well ^^

Double post for something I just thought of:

If you want to link to a section on the same page, you can use the # symbol as in:

[[Crimson Lions#The Burden|the Burden]]

will create a link to the section called the Burden in the Crimson Lions page

• 1 month later...