The Fortis Crusade

:biggrin.: Loving the reactions here guys! 

Good job on the Assault Marines. Is that an Iron Warrior's severed head at the thunder hammer wielder's feet, or just an empty helmet?

That is indeed an Iron Warrior's head severed clean off, though I suppose you could say it is an empty helmet as well, because with Iron Warriors there's not much difference :teehee: hehe. 

Are the spent shell casings part of the base? If not, what did you use to make them?

Those shell casings are part of the base. 

Hmmm...blue...a hood...

Will I be needing the Paddleum, brother? I feel like I might.

Who knows? I certainly don't! 

Blue? Has someone broken the seals on the Librarius and gone pilfering through the dusty armoury?

The mystery builds... :biggrin.:

That is indeed an Iron Warrior's head severed clean off, though I suppose you could say it is an empty helmet as well, because with Iron Warriors there's not much difference

Well said.

Blue? Has someone broken the seals on the Librarius and gone pilfering through the dusty armoury?

The mystery builds...
The Librarius has force weapons, which count as "normal" power weapons if psychic powers are neutralized (see Khârn the Betrayer's 4th Edition Special Rules) or downright absent. If the Black Templars are in need of power weapons, but the Techmarines can't produce enough before the next battle begins... (Shrugs.) Well, needs must. Break the seals.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

It's been far too long, and I've actually been playing my Templars quite a lot recently. It's time to bring the Fortis Crusade back up to speed. 

I've been playing 650 point games at my LGS on Tuesday nights bringing the following list:

Captain, MC Bolter, Power Sword, Warlord (Iron Resolve), Relic (Armour Indomitus) 

Emperor's Champion

5 Scouts, Heavy Bolter

5 Scouts

5 Crusader Squad, Flamer, Combi Flamer, Heavy Bolter

5 Hellblasters

Razorback, Twin AC (Crusader Squad + Champion).

It's working quite well. I plan to change things up now that CA is out, but I'll have this list in my back pocket. None of the units I'm using here got point changes I'm fairly certain. 

On the grander scale of things, here's what I'm looking to try out in the coming weekends:

Black Templar 2k Double Battalion:

Battalion, Sword Brethren

HQ- Helbrecht, Captain (Jump Pack, Teeth of Terra, Plasma Pistol)

Troops- 5 Scouts(bolters), 5 Scouts(bolters), 5 Scouts (Heavy Bolter)

Elite- 5 Company Veterans (Storm shield + Power Fist), Ironclad Dreadnought (Chainfist + Hurricane + Launchers)

Battalion

HQ- 2x Lieutenant (Power Sword)

Troops- 5 Intercessors, 5 Crusaders (Missile), 5 Crusaders (Plasma, Combi Plasma, HB)

Heavy- Devastators (HB and Missile), Hellblasters, Rapier Quad Launcher

Flyer- Stormraven (Twin HB, Twin Plasma Cannons, Hurricanes) Transporting Helbrecht, Lieutenant, Vets, Plasma Crusaders, and Dreadnought

Transport- Repulsor (all gatling and storm bolters) Transporting Hellblasters and Intercessors.

This puts me at 1995 points

I have a decent mix of anti-infantry and anti-tank, where I struggle will be against horde armies. Specifically Orks. Both my transports have the fly keyword so I will getting hit automatically by tractor cannons, and I don't have many twin assault cannons where I normally do. 

Points to address:

-Not sure about the company veteran loadout. I may sub out the storm shields for storm bolters to help with anti-horde. 

-I took the twin plasma cannons on the Storm Raven to bring its cost down. The twin plasma cannon makes it sub-300 and can act as an anti vehicle weapon in a pinch. 

-I have one Crusader squad with a missile launcher that's sitting. I used to have a ride for them with a Razorback but I couldn't fit the Razorback and the dreadnought. 

-Another thing I thought about taking out was the quad launcher. People either know what it does and spend an inordinate amount of points to kill it or the ignore it and they regret it. Not sure.

-Helbrecht at 150 points is amazing consider the force multiplier he is and the close combat beast he is. Just to do a bit of math, Helbrecht buffing a squad of power fist sword brethren with the suffer not stratagem deals an average of 20 damage to anything that you wound on a 3+. Which is the majority of things in the game at strength 10. 

-I think power fists on sword brethren is the way to go. You have plenty of attacks with suffer not for killing any tough infantry units, monsters, or vehicles. The main exception to this are things with a high invuln save. I wouldn't charge these guys into a Hive Tyrant. A Carnifex, maybe even a Tyrannofex, after my dreadnought has soaked the overwatch, yes. Anything with a 4+ invuln save or higher I wouldn't chance unless its already hurt quite badly or my opponent doesn't have any command points left to interrupt. 

Brothers if you have any suggestions on my list please do let me know. 

"Is it ready?" A deep, raspy, and aggressive voice bathed in the harsh tonality of experience inquired. 

"They are, Marshal." Replied a metallic, manufactured, neurotic, and feminine creature of steel and red robes. 

"Good, see to it that the best of my sword brethren are outfitted with the final production models and ready within 10 hours. They will be needing the new armor, and the power of the new weaponry to complete their mission. The importance of this cannot be understated. This is a decapitation, a killing blow to the head so we may topple the body of our foe." Said Marshal Praxis. 

"Oh I believe we will both be quite pleased, your Champion has grown quite fond of my prototype and he find it to work quite well. These five other suits will perform much the same." Archmagos Nazarrah Omnia energetically rambled on as she often did, much to annoyance of Marshal Praxis. But he allowed her this small indulgence as payment for something which transcended such minor annoyances.

"Whilst the first suit was built specifically for him, tailored to his biometrics and physicality, these versions may not be quite as comfortable, but will offer an improvement in maneuverability, speed, and dexterity over standard astartes armor. I might even allow myself a small brag that my Omnia pattern power armor may not be as durable as Cawl's little pet project, it is certainly faster, more maneuverable, and far superior for the swiftness of close combat. I-" Nazarrah would have continued if it were not for the low and thrumming whur of plasma generators, the aggressive and angular glowing red visors, and the clack of metal on metal fast approach them both. 

There were five of them, each wielding a weapon of their choice according to their preference. Sword Brother Arktis, the commander of most elite team of the Fortis Crusade's veterans stepped forward with his impressively large Solarite-pattern Broadsword in hand. One of only 5 custom weapons created by Omnia herself to their exact specifications. The voice which came through the helmets built in voice transponder simply said "Ready to deploy Marshal." 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Sword Brethren of the Fortis Crusade deploy!

wCAIQDG.jpg

GYD6vpx.jpg

zQFTada.jpg

8YHxLIP.jpg

DtIHecN.jpg

xKkFPEZ.jpg

uizPmZb.jpg

Two of these guys had been finished a while ago, but never really saw much use. I had a lot more of them for eventual use as company veterans or vanguard on foot. Now I finally felt like I had reason to finish a squad! Each Sword Brother I feel like brings his own unique personality, and only two of them have similar weapons. 

Other things I've been working on: 

6XvrqE9.jpg

aZuGBuR.jpg

hN0uMVh.jpg

guW64m2.jpg

My magnetized jump pack captain can now use the Teeth of Terra! 

cPlH6Wt.jpg

FC4THUy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Another Battle Report:

The Black Templars faced off against the Night Lords in massive three thousand point deployment. The battlefield was in the middle a shipyard depot, with one side having a lot of "lanes" created by large containers, and the depot proper on the other side. Each side was fighting to establish a beach-head, a severing strike to ensure reinforcements could flow and move on to the main assault target. 

We played the "Beachhead" mission in Chapter Approved 2018, 1 objective in each deployment zone and one in the center. One of my favorite missions of the new book. 

Keeping things short, I brought an extremely fluffy list. I brought things I normally don't, like massive 10+ man mixed crusaders squads and Chaplains. I also brought my Leviathan Dreadnought and LRC. Helbrecht and the Emperor's Champion, the nasty tag team they are also made an appearance. 

The force was divided in two, I had my main force consisting of all of my vehicles and ground-pounder units to hold the line, and then in reserve I had an elite strike team with massive firepower lead by Captain Death Hammer. 

The first turn of the game was heavily in the Night Lords favor, they killed a devastator squad that had 4 lascannons and scored some wounds on various vehicle targets. A nasty group of Raptors moved forward aggressively, taking the Imperial land pad in the by the center objective. 

My Vanguard Veterans and Chaplain moved to intercept them, ultimately failing the charge. All I managed in the first turn was putting some wounds on a helbrute.

In the second turn things got very interesting. Night Lords terminators port in from the warp, the traitor legion pops the LRC, exposing Helbrecht, the Champion, and some of the Sword Brethren, but not much else happens. Raptors and Crusaders kill each other amidst the chaos of the battle, the night lord leadership debuffs working wonders against the large crusader squads.

In response, the Templars off the majority of the raptors, the traitor leviathan dread, and both of helbrutes. The Night lords now have very little in the mid field, as the majority of their troops are scattered around the backfield near the docks trying to fire off missiles. 

The strike team drops in. 5 Tactical Terminators, 5 THSS Terminators, 3 Primaris Inceptors with Plasma exterminators, and Captain Death Hammer himself all take the midfield objective along side a crusader squad that was transported in a Rhino. The Inceptors wipe away a Chaos biker squad with ease, and the terminators engage Chaos marines and Obliterators in the midfield depot. Shifting me off that objective was going to be difficult. 

Through a mistake by the Night Lord raid master not realizing the Emperor's Champion was within 3'' of him after a charge, even the talons of the black hunt are not enough to save him from the black sword buffed by Helbrecht. The Champion slays him in single combat.

In turn 3 the Night Lords attempt a response but don't have much left to take the center field. The Leviathan dread remains at 1 wound left, the foul traitor terminator squad shoots helbrecht, charges him, but he stands and kills three of them in response in the combat. The Champion goes down as a result of multiple attacks from enemy psykers. 

The Inceptors from the strike team move to engage the chaos Terminator squad in my backfield trying to reach the objective in the Templar's side of the depot, and to my surprise they wipe them out with ease. The mid field belongs to the Emperor from that point on. With no way to take the midfield, and no way to flank the Templar's hold on the depot, the Night Lords withdraw with what they have left. 

The Black Templars successfully establish a beach head to allow Imperial reinforcements to safely gather without harassment in preparation for a final strike on the hab block Chaos forces are using as a base. Who knows what horrors await them?

Just wanna say, Helbrecht is an absolute freaking beast. I buffed him with Suffer Not the Unclean to Live, and boy did he sure make certain some unclean raptors did not live. Exactly 7 of them actually, all by himself. re-rolling failed wound rolls is super nice on top of the extra attack. All of my Sword Brethren had died before I got to use it on them, so I just used it on Helbrecht instead. Not bad tbh

Archived