Night Lords "Sacrificial Offering" 3k with Sevatar

Caillum

Over here I discussed using Sevatar's version of 'Master of Ambush' to unique effect within the "Sacrificial Offering" Rite of War. So I thought I'd share my WIP list for this concept!

PRIMARY DETACHMENT

HQ

'Sevatar': Rite of War (Sacrificial Offering) xxx

Chaplain: Crozius Arcanum (axe); artificer armour; refractor field 105

TROOPS

20 Tactical Space Marines: Tactical Sergeant (artificer armour; power fist); 19 Tactical Space Marines; swap bolters for chainswords 250

15 Assault Space Marines: Assault Sergeant (artificer armour; power fist; combat shield); 14 Assault Space Marines; 3 × power axes 298

ELITES

Apothecarion Detachment

Apothecary: artificer armour; power sword 65

Apothecary: power sword; jump pack 70

FAST ATTACK

Javelin Attack Speeder Squadron

Javelin Attack Speeder: pintle-mounted multi-melta; 2 × hunter-killer missiles 75

Javelin Attack Speeder: pintle-mounted multi-melta; 2 × hunter-killer missiles 75

HEAVY SUPPORT

Predator Strike Squadron

Predator: turret-mounted Executioner plasma destroyer; dozer blade; pintle-mounted combi-plasma 140

Predator: turret-mounted Executioner plasma destroyer; dozer blade; pintle-mounted combi-plasma 140

Spartan Assault Tank: armoured ceramite; flare shield; dozer blade 375

Fire Raptor Gunship: 2 × turret-mounted Reaper autocannon batteries; 4 wing-mounted Hellstrike missiles 240

FORTIFICATIONS

Aegis Defence Line: Comms Relay 70

ALLIED DETACHMENT

HQ

Force Commander: Alchem-jackers; Abhuman Helots; needle pistol; Charnabal sabre; carapace armour 135

TROOPS

12 Grenadiers: Grenadier Sergeant; 2 x Special Weapons Grenadiers (heavy stubbers); 9 Grenadiers; autoguns 95

12 Grenadiers: Grenadier Sergeant; 2 x Special Weapons Grenadiers (heavy stubbers); 9 Grenadiers; autoguns 95

FAST ATTACK

3 Auxilia Sentinels: 3 x  autocannon; 3 × hunter killer missile 120

HEAVY SUPPORT

3 Artillery Carriages: 4 × additional Auxilia Crew; Medusa siege guns (breacher shells) 327

3,000 points

The Force Commander joins the Artillery, and they and the Infantry hunker down behind the Aegis Defence Line. Alchem-jackers stops them from running away, while Abhuman Helots makes them a bit harder to remove. The Sentinels attempt to Scout into cover. Medusa breacher shells are 48", Str 10, AP 1, Heavy 1, Blast (3"), Armourbane, so they deal with the hardest targets. The Militia would ideally be modeled using Genestealer Neophytes with Skitarii Vanguard heads for that steampunk look. Kinda like this:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/3/11/785149_sm-Malfian%20test%202016%20WIP%202.JPG

Sevatar, the Chaplain & Apothecary 1 ride in the Spartan. Night Lords want to see combat, so this should get them there for a Turn 3 charge (best you can do in this RoW). Apothecary 2 joins the Assault Marines and they also hunt for people to skin. The Predators are the anti-TEQ unit, the Javelins hunt light/medium armour, and the Fire Raptor takes out air threats & generally harasses units.

I think that it will be pretty hard to remove all of the Militia in 1 turn. I could add a Medicae Detachment, but that won't stop a Typhon or Stormsword (which is the greatest threat). Also contemplated swapping the Artillery for some Leman Russ Vanquishers, or maxing out the Grenadier Squads for more insurance.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

If you swap a grenadier unit out for levies and then use the points saved to add 50pts of grenadiers and upgrade to lasrifles you end up with 40 bodies for the same price as 24 because of not needing to buy weapon upgrades twice and not paying 15 extra for SMU tax, if you're worried about the small size of the grenadier units in your list. Also could swap for regular militia and just add 8 grenadiers if you want a unit that can actually hit things more frequently than ws/bs2 levies.

@Harvest545, I played around with the Militia Troops for a while. They don't bring a lot to the army, as they're not Scoring, and all except Grenadiers suck. Perhaps multiple Militia bodies and an investment into more Night Lords Troops is the answer.

Abhuman Helots are always Distrusted Allies for all Legion Armies though, leaving you with only 2 scoring units in 3.000 pts.

I know. If you read my original thread that I linked in the 1st post, I point that out. It's actually a good idea fo run Abhuman Helots, as Night Lords and Imperialis Militia are already Distrusted Allies! :) But only 2 Scoring units is definitely a weak point...

Some more revision required!

Slight changes to the list. Dropped a Javelin and turned the remainder into 3 units of 1. Swapped the Assault Squad & Apothecary for 2 Tactical Squads with Rhinos. Also swapped the 2 squads of Grenadiers for an Auxiliary Squad and a Fire Support Squad.

This gives me a 3rd scoring unit and an extra dozen bodies behind the Aegis, costing me a Javelin. The 2 Tactical Squads are geared up, so they should be able to go harass objective holders with their Talent For Murder bonuses. And I know heavy stubber Militia are awful in-game, but they add to the flavour. :)

PRIMARY DETACHMENT

HQ

'Sevatar': Rite of War (Sacrificial Offering) xxx

Chaplain: Crozius Arcanum (axe); artificer armour; refractor field 105

TROOPS

20 Tactical Space Marines: Tactical Sergeant (artificer armour; power fist); 19 Tactical Space Marines; swap bolters for chainswords 250

10 Tactical Space Marines: Tactical Sergeant (artificer armour; power axe); 9 Tactical Space Marines; add chainswords; legion vexilla 175

Rhino: dozer blade; pintle-mounted multi-melta 55

10 Tactical Space Marines: Tactical Sergeant (artificer armour; power axe); 9 Tactical Space Marines; add chainswords; legion vexilla 175

Rhino: dozer blade; pintle-mounted multi-melta 55

ELITES

Apothecarion Detachment

Apothecary: artificer armour 55

FAST ATTACK

HEAVY SUPPORT

Predator Strike Squadron

Spartan Assault Tank: armoured ceramite; flare shield; dozer blade 375

Fire Raptor Gunship: 2 × turret-mounted Reaper autocannon batteries; 4 wing-mounted Hellstrike missiles 240

FORTIFICATIONS

Aegis Defence Line: Comms Relay 70

ALLIED DETACHMENT

HQ

Force Commander: Alchem-jackers; Abhuman Helots 120

TROOPS

20 Militia Auxiliaries: Sergeant; 19 Militia Auxiliaries; autoguns 60

10 Militia Fire Teams: autopistols; heavy stubbers

FAST ATTACK

3 Auxilia Sentinels: 3 × autocannon; 3 × hunter killer missiles 120

HEAVY SUPPORT

3 Artillery Carriages: Medusa siege guns (breacher shells) 315