Magnets question

Hi guys

Just a query, has anyone tried using magnets with metal models? Did it work?

Reason I ask is because I'm contemplating using magnets on metal dreadnought to ensure that I have as many arm weapon combinations available as possible and I'm wondering:

A - does the fact a model is metal mess with the magnets? And

B - are the magnets strong enough to take the weight of a metal weapon arm?

Any advice, tips or experiences greatly received

Might want to use paper clip pins to make sure the metal arms don't swing. Just offset the pin a little from the magnet, and then the corresponding hole in the arm will prevent droopping.

I have an old metal furioso, and if I'd used magnets for it like I use in infantry, it'd require pinning. If using plastic dreadnought arms, infantry sized magnets are fine.

Might want to use paper clip pins to make sure the metal arms don't swing. Just offset the pin a little from the magnet, and then the corresponding hole in the arm will prevent droopping.

I have an old metal furioso, and if I'd used magnets for it like I use in infantry, it'd require pinning. If using plastic dreadnought arms, infantry sized magnets are fine.

Another option is to use 2 smaller magnets one below the other. That should prevent the arm from swinging.

You can use deeper magnets for a stronger pull too - a 6mm diameter with a 7-10mm depth is still small enough to fit into the Dread's arms, and strong enough to hold.

Do two magnets on each side of the body part, put a steel washer on the arm parts, and you will not only get a super-strong bond, but the two magnets will stop the arms from rotating/sagging as Ciler rightly points out.

Another couple of tips for you, related to the tools you will need:

- Use a ground (not rolled or twisted) drill bit. Costs more, but is better made and won't stick so much when you drill.

- Get a drill bit that's carbide-coated. It cute better, easier, and will work much better for you when drilling metal models.

- Consider getting a drill bit 0.5mm bigger than the diameter of the intended magnets.

- You might also want to be aware that most hobby drills won't accept drill bit diameter much over 6mm, so you may want to consider getting 5mm diameter magnets instead (and a 5.5mm drill bit).

- If you go with smaller diameter magnets, and you use a washer in the arm, consider using 2-3 magnets in each side of the body to hold the arms.

Hope that helps, and please show us the results of how you get on! :)

As far as I know, no one is making miniatures out of iron or nickel or invar, so you needn't worry about how they'll work with magnets. msn-wink.gif

Not everyone took science in school long enough to know which metals that are not of daily use (such as aluminum) have or do not have magnetic properties. msn-wink.gif

Archived