Praevian?

Targetlock

Hi all.

So for my growing shattered legion force I'm thinking of doing a Praevian leading a unit of Castellax (using converted 40k Kastelans) my force btw is loyalists from the traitor legions. what are your experiences of this unit? are they any good?  what would be the best loadout for the praevian (though i have converted a suitable sons of horus character with a combi-weapon) 

Thanks for any comments :)

They are amazing almost to the point of compulsory depending on your legion of course, if your Iron Hands, they are effectively T8 vs shooting, if you are Blackshields Gene-Bulked you are T8 and S7. I run 3 with Darkfire Cannons and Flamers along with a Boarding shield on the Praevian and a combi flamer so when people do try to charge they make a disorded charge and take 7 wall of death auto hits along with the Darkfire that can blind them before then enter combot. The unit cost about 500+ points so when I do run this I tend to run it as a counter LOW. They always make their points back, Ive locked Mortarion in combat for the entire game, Ive locked Corax in combat every time he left and charged again he had to deal with the overwatch, they killed a Levithan and Typhon Siege tank in a single round, I could go on but this is by far my favorite unit ever.

Thanks for the comments, not sure how i will be converting them yet tbh :) i'm surprised the black-shield rule would actually apply to them! but as I'm running a shattered legion force i can't use them anyways.

Yeah they are pretty good. Darkfire cannons, imo, are mandatory as the unit is slow and they give you the opportunity to engage practically any unit at range.

Their damage output isn't massive, a unit of two with a Praevian costs as much as a Primarch, although they are very tough.

Darkfire cannons should have no chance to kill a Typhon, unless you literally roll all 6s for all your shots.

You assume too much, I never said they shot it to death. Also yes it can, S7 Lance brings Typhon to armor 12 5s Glance 6s pen roll on the pen chart explode is 1+D3 hull points, one pen can take off 4 hull points I dont need all 6 to do the job.

Personally I love the look of the unit but there's better options for the points.

I would agree dark fire cannons are pretty good and definitely the best choice to go with.

On a side note I'm no dg player but Mort should destroy this unit as I'm pretty sure he's got instant death on his weapon so can't see them lasting more than two rounds max.

Doesn't it have a flare shield, thus reducing the cannons to S6?

No, it does not. Armored Cermite only.

Personally I love the look of the unit but there's better options for the points.

I would agree dark fire cannons are pretty good and definitely the best choice to go with.

On a side note I'm no dg player but Mort should destroy this unit as I'm pretty sure he's got instant death on his weapon so can't see them lasting more than two rounds max.

Yeah I didn't think I was gonna make it but I kept making my 4+ invul saves. Plus with the guys bad rolls he was only getting one or two wounds on me.

Anyway.

It's one of the best units there is.

I've killed almost everything with them.

My loadout for them is always Darkfire Cannons, Enhanced Targeter and Frags. My Praevian gets a Refractor Field and a Bolter. I never take my Legion rule since I play IW. And I guess Tank Hunter is way better anyway. If he hits with his Bolter it's four shots hitting on twos, re-rolling ones, glancing on fives, penetrating on sixes and can re-roll those penetration rolles as well.

On top of that they wound almost everything on a two and again re-roll ones if the dude hits with his Bolter.

Hell of unit.

How are you getting 4+ invulnerable saves?

Castellax have a 5+ against shooting and a 6+ in melee.

A Praevian in combat with a boarding shield get a 5++ Iron hands get Cyber Familiars bumping that up to a 4++. You cant make this stuff up man the unit is amazing. Some might say broken even.

Plus look that them they look cool as all get out.

http://i.imgur.com/8SQ6bFdh.jpg

For my shattered legion I'm thinking of having them as either IW or Sons of horus and yeah was considering darkfire cannons along with targetting arrays, though ive had no chance to use Darkfire Cannons. for the Praevian possibly a boarding shield to mess with enemy charges, a Bolter and a power weapon.

And remember with the Praevien he just has to hit the target not wound it, so a bolter would be great for him so within 24" your castellax get Preferred Enemy with BS5 so your darkfires are likely to never get hot and always make contact.

yeah was thinking a combi-flamer smile.png plus power weapon and shield, would the cortex designator benefit work for overwatch?

Off the top of my head no it only say in the "shooting phase" or something like that but if in the shooting phase you shoot a unit that your strongly believe is going to charge you then yeah it works

yeah was thinking a combi-flamer smile.png plus power weapon and shield, would the cortex designator benefit work for overwatch?

Off the top of my head no it only say in the "shooting phase" or something like that but if in the shooting phase you shoot a unit that your strongly believe is going to charge you then yeah it works

It's just a successful shooting attack.

So when you get charged you wall of flame and the Castellax/Vorax will have preferred enemy.

Archived