Feel 40k is pulling you away from the Horus Heresy?

Ishagu

ive been dabbling in 40k the last couple of months. but once inferno drops, im sure it will resurge my 30k feels. having a large space wolf legion ive been waiting a long time for this and i havent wanted to touch them for a bit now as im scared illpaint assemble something thats not kosher

I feel the complete opposite - I've been playing 40k for almost 20 years. I am VERY excited about the fluff advancement, however, the ruleset is too bloated for my liking.

30k just feels SOOO right.

For myself, 30k is where it's at.

All I see is conversion potential for the heresy.

Yes sir.

Every GW release, AOS or 40K, has me accessing its potential use in my 30K army. I switched over to 30K so hard it's going to take a lot for me to come back to 40K. The yarns being spun aren't there immediately grabbing me, and all the nifty models I'm interested in seem to eventually come (or even debut) as 30K units anyway; Knight Warden, Mechanicum stuff, Custodes.

My only 40K regret was not grabbing the Badab War books, as after the Heresy that may be a fun historical event go explore in the hobby.

Not even the recently released Codex: Genestealer Cults was able to spark my interest in 40k again, and I'v been collecting and playing 'Stealers since 1989.

As for my Battle Sisters and Dark Eldar / Harlequin forces ... I feel they have become more and more removed from their former incarnations with each passing year.

Have probably played them once each in the past two years, so much for 40k.

30k is where the heart is.

I stopped playing 40K during 5th, I'm not 100% why but I think it's a few reasons.

Space Wolves became WolfyMcWolfFace with things like Thunderwolf cavalry and Wolf Claws (Pro tip an actual wolves claws are pretty dull from not being able to retract them). Everything in the Wolf Pack set being covered in Wolf iconography (which to be fair is mitigated by diluting with standard marine kits)

And FW were releasing Horus Heresy stuff, it excited me, I preferred the darker grey and fell in love with the setting of a galactic civil war.

I actually gave away my 40K models to some kids at my GW store (to the disappointment of the store owner I feel) and bought a few of the HH kits and have been waiting on Inferno ever since.

Another factor is probably time, I work in a pub on the early shifts that require me waking up at 01:45 in the morning and unsurprisingly working weekends so finding a time to game is pretty difficult in my home town (wouldn't be an issue if I move down South as there's a FLGS which has nightly gaming), also not being able to drive hinders my mobility.

Gonna echo what I've heard above.

40k is getting better, but besides the AdMech/Traitor Legions stuff I haven't been interested in 40k for a while, and feel like i'm being further pushed away by the continuous cycle of releases. Particularly the Curse of the Wulfen- I think that release sealed the deal for any 40k gaming I might have done, largely because I was tired of being roflstomped by a grand total of two units/formations, while my Iron Warriors/Cybernetica struggled to kill a single model.

30k, in comparison, is much more balanced, and even when its not, the main difference for me is that when I get "roflstomped" by Inductii/etc. (looking at you Guiltysparc) I have fun doing it, and it feels more like a game of strategy than "I bring formation x and you don't have formation y so I win."

The only time I really pay attention to 40k is when I watch Batreps online, and even then, only from Winters SEO. Otherwise, I scrounge for 30k games, which I find much more exciting and enjoyable. That said, I agree, 30k is lagging right now, but like 1000 Sons said, once Prospero drops I think it'll pick back up.

For me, interest in 30K got me playing 40K again...but a group of us are playing 4th Edition as that's the last time any of us really enjoyed 40K. Things like the Rubric Marines and the Scarab Occult kits pretty much only exist as fodder for the 30K, and nothing GW has done in the past year and a half has really pulled me or interested me in the slightest. 

I believe 40k is out of control. I liked the concept of the direction it was going, but not the execution. It led to even more discrepancy in power levels and lead to some crazy amounts of crunch optimization. A lot felt like sales to drive models. I like the 30k system a lot more. It's not perfect, but its constrictions are outweighed by its balance relatively speaking. There are still 'wombo combos' in 30k, but it's nothing compared to 40k.

I believe 40k is out of control. I liked the concept of the direction it was going, but not the execution. It led to even more discrepancy in power levels and lead to some crazy amounts of crunch optimization. A lot felt like sales to drive models. I like the 30k system a lot more. It's not perfect, but its constrictions are outweighed by its balance relatively speaking. There are still 'wombo combos' in 30k, but it's nothing compared to 40k.

It's going to get worse before it gets better.  See Fall of Cadia for outrageous rules combos.

It's going to get worse before it gets better.  See Fall of Cadia for outrageous rules combos.

I like the combos, I find the story more fluffy, make gaming fun, sometimes challenging.

It'll be an even bigger drama when the loyalist primarchs drop and people start abusing the imperial friends shenngans with every variety of crazy independant characters with a vaiety of cherry picked special rules joined together with grav spam topped off with a Primarch.

Anyway sorry for thr doom and gloom getting back on topic, today was one of the first major 30k narative campaigns at the club nearest to me (unfortunately I had to work and couldnt get time off sad.png ) and it went off pretty well alot of people turned up some with count as or borrowed heresy armies (since interst is slowly building up and ther are few with actual heresy armies, even had a couple ork players take part) and the interest in heresy shot up heaps. Thanks to it alot more campaigns/ events have been planned and I have found more people to play heresy games so its pretty awesome. So looking forward till my Black Shield is fully painted as Ive played a heresy gsme with a borrowed iron hands force but will be so much more fun with my own army

I feel I should add I've still not actually played a game of either since 5th edition but I am gearing back up in anticipation of my Wolves finally getting their army list (so no worries about making things I can't take).

I bought Kill team yesterday primarily for the rules set (though I do want to build a Codex Chapter demi company for fun and always wanted a Tau mechanised force) and I'm still sitting on two copies of B@C just waiting to kitbash with some Wolves.

Will be picking up a copy of Burning of Prospero too at about the same time as Inferno (please FW do a "bundle" with Inferno and BoP to get me even closer to free shipping).

I'm glad though that GW is bringing out these factions people have wanted for ages, Mechanicum, Skitarii, GSC. It gives me hope for a Kroot Auxiliaries codex (the old Chapter Approved looked like a lot of fun and I'm sure they'd sell, especially due to their mercenary nature), Arbites (with Repressors please!) and Rogue Traders.

Plastic Inquisitors would be awesome, particularly if they came in kits like the Space Marine Commander/Empire Battle Wizard.

While I remain 40k in terms of what I collect and paint (my Crimson Tears, Deathwatch and Inq28), I have to say I keep an eager eye on the HH. Basically the only good thing about 40k at the moment is model releases and I'm not buying most of it because I already have too much stuff.

Marshal Loss' post does a good job of summarising things that threaten to kill my interest in 40k and push me backwards in time or further towards my Malifaux stuff. Probably not the HH in full as I love the stuff I've already created, but 2nd/3rd founding chapters and the Scouring? Looks mighty appealing right now.

As an IG player, 40k offers me nothing. 

See, I want to enjoy 40k, as the diversity is lovely and the local groups have a good mix of pretty much every faction, but after spending a year of not just losing every battle, but being obliterated and tabled within a couple of turns, I simply have no motivation to play 40k at all. I'm hopeful for 8th, and go to dabble with painting my Death Korps from time to time, but they certainly do not see table time. 

The local 30k scene is quite dilute still - but I'm still much happier running my merry band of Isstvan III loyalists against the cheesiest of Eldar than trying to make IG work or have to interact with 40k list building in its current incarnation. 

I do actually have this problem. I keep wanting to focus on my 30k stuff but then the newest 40k release just pulls me back in, plus I collect some AoS stuff as well so my 30k time/money is assaulted on two fronts :/

I turned my back on 40K years ago and I don't regret it. I'll admit the Legions supplement almost pulled me back, but I decided I'd rather play balanced than flavor of the month. I appreciate the models GW is putting out and I'm glad they pushed the narrative forward, but in the end I cannot see myself enjoying games against some of the armies, which just so happen to be numerous and popular.

I definitely do not feel like going back to 40K. If they ever really fix the rules, then I might consider doing so and pick up some Nids, Orks and maybe even DA or Guard. Otherwise, 30K all the way baby! Hydra Dominatus!

I am also leaning more towards 30k these days, the only thing holding me back being my crippling indecision at choosing a legion. Im finding the current crop of detachment \formation\interactions all way too much for me these days and the one force I had some interest in (deathwatch) I won't be expanding like I had planned to thanks to a lacklustre book and FAQ.

Archived