Feel 40k is pulling you away from the Horus Heresy?

Ishagu

I have one real 40k-specific army, and that's only because I get to scratchbuild custom warmachines for sentient green space fungus. It's my modeling army, typically aimed at apoc with friends. Otherwise, 40k seems...kinda juvenile. Like a video game I loved years ago but I go back to it and I can't help but notice how childish and simple everything is. It didn't used to be that way, but now army gimmicks have jumped the shark, power creep is insane, close combat is just dead (alongside the close combat armies)...even the fluff is wonky. Traitor Legions brought me back a little, but that's more of them Ctrl-C Ctrl-V the Legion Rules (which they messed up the AL's anyway). It all just seems so very silly, and if you're a bottom army, they can't fix you. Or, mistake why people play a certain army (random strength weapons with BS2...I can't even...).

I painted a small AL force, played one game against Dark Angels and was hooked HARD. The scale of 30k just feels like an epic duel that could warrant its own BL book. I played a 17,500 per side Heresy game with friends the other day, and it was glorious (Guilliman died to mass XXth tank fire, and Vulkan smashed Angron apart in five rounds).

EDIT: To answer your question, Ishagu, it's that to a certain extent. I've also found that players who play 30k tend to be less power gamer-types and more "let's have a pint and roll some dice. Rule #1 is have fun". GW certainly mishandles things, but it's the epic feeling to Heresy.

So, would you all say the primary reason for your dedication to 30k is the poor handling GW is guilty of in regards to the 40k game?

Not really.

I used to play fantasy in the 15k sized games, big epic fights with mighty heroes and monsters. 

The Heresy lets a loyalist like me field big monsters of my own.

GW cocking up 40k just makes the decision easier.

So, would you all say the primary reason for your dedication to 30k is the poor handling GW is guilty of in regards to the 40k game?

This was my primary reason for quitting 40k. I won't go back.

I stick to 30k for a lot of reasons, but one that civsmitty mentioned is especially true for me- 30k attracts an older crowd. Balance and all that aside, 40k feels more and more marketed towards younger kids (maybe I'm just older). On the flip side, 30k is more like historicals. More mature content, people invest more time into their armies and the background, etc. I'm pretty sure this is a common theme around here.

I'd certainly say so. 

As a Guard player, the 40k side of things holds absolutely zero appeal when the army which got me into 40k is ignored again and again with no end in sight. I don't mind losing - but having to play with a massive handicap against most other armies in a completely off-the-rails power creep environment holds no appeal. 

I also strongly dislike the formation-centric list building in 40k. I can't experiment, tweak or otherwise mess around without further increasing my handicap, whereas in 30k the Rites of War and the different Imperial Militia and Mechanicum variants are all about choice and customization. 

I can, and do, regularly review, adjust and knitpick my 30k lists for some time - whereas 40k is "which formations are the most powerful for your faction/ will allow you to survive past turn 2 against Eldar, or kill at least 10 necron warriors" 

That being said, Forgeworld's complete stop of support for their own 40k products has also driven me away. I ran DKoK and Minotaurs - both of which are hopelessly out of date and are completely excluded from the formation-building fun times which 40k has become.

As I've said before, I'll happily play 40k armies when they conform to the 30k framework - even just the basic 25% max LoW, only infantry troops score (though preferably formation free, especially for more powerful factions) - it works a hell of let better with my legion or Solar Auxilia than I could ever hope to pull off with my Guard. 

This was my primary reason for quitting 40k. I won't go back.

I stick to 30k for a lot of reasons, but one that civsmitty mentioned is especially true for me- 30k attracts an older crowd. Balance and all that aside, 40k feels more and more marketed towards younger kids (maybe I'm just older). On the flip side, 30k is more like historicals. More mature content, people invest more time into their armies and the background, etc. I'm pretty sure this is a common theme around here.

I also strongly dislike the formation-centric list building in 40k. I can't experiment, tweak or otherwise mess around without further increasing my handicap, whereas in 30k the Rites of War and the different Imperial Militia and Mechanicum variants are all about choice and customization. 

I can, and do, regularly review, adjust and knitpick my 30k lists for some time - whereas 40k is "which formations are the most powerful for your faction/ will allow you to survive past turn 2 against Eldar, or kill at least 10 necron warriors" 

Both of these points really kind of highlights why I would rather go towards 30k than 40k right now. Better, fairer ruleset, more mature mindset from players.

I hate daemons and their players, period.

Some updates.

Just searched my local hobby forum and saw the newest topic. It was like: I'm a new player and can you please give me a powerful Thousand Sons/Tzeench Daemon Theme list? I don't want to buy any of those models with 'weak' rules.

And I was like: Go play chess, dude. (Rolling eyes)

In my opinion, the art style, sculpt quality, Handling of themes, writing style, and more "realistic" approach to events in 30k vastly outshines that of 40k. Every black book is a work of art and the love and quality placed into each is astounding. On top of this, the miniatures produced by FW have an air of realism that the cartoony aesthetic of 40k sorely lacks. 40k isn't bad by any means but it feels more inline with fantasy than it does science fiction and that just isn't for me. Honestly If it wasn't for 30k, I don't think I would be in the hobby at all

As several have mentioned, 30K appears to be played by lets say more rounded individuals (mentally) who no doubt want to win but without disregard to the fluff. The guys i've occasionally played pick up games of 40K with over the last years, about one game per edition since 3rd, have taken joy in stomping me with high cheese despite it being clear that I had no idea what I was doing. 30K armies seem to be built according to rule of cool or fluff with a desire to create a spectacle and story when gaming. I will not care if I lose as long as I dont feel cheated.

Case in point, I've used my wolves once so far, legion rules against a guy who kindly volunteered to teach me the ropes of the new edition. His army was 40K and consisted of Dark Angel Terminators allied with Khorne Deamonkin, was pretty weird looking and totally disengaged me from any narrative. In any event I Fury of the Legion-ed his 20 cultists, Contemptored his Deathwing and flamered the summoned deamons in 2 turns at which point he decided he had somewhere else to be. So I won, no doubt foiled whatever dirty trick he was planning (there was a box of assorted deamons including bloodthirster next to the table) yet felt no joy in doing so.

Since then I'm building towards a 30K campaign with some guys in the local store and already enjoying the progress without a single battle to date. I can't wait for Inferno so I can really immerse myself.

Theres not been any exciting new-new toys for what seems like an eon, im not interested in Custodes or huuuuge models so ive gone back to working on 40k stuff, some Rough Riders and a new Corsair army for a Tale of 4 gamers thingee. Im pretty sure inferno will bring something interesting though :D 

40k hasn't truly been a thought in my mind since maybe 4th edition and I've got some great nostalgia lol. 30k has reigned supreme for me since it's initial release but has since tapered off a bit for me lately.

I'm really just super apprehensive with 40k's new direction but I'd be lying if I didn't have my attention grabbed by the new TS, Magnus, and the threat of returning loyalist primarchs (in plastic?!?!?!). I'm pretty much withholding my judgement until the newest ruleset comes out and we finally see the direction they wish to take 40k.

Archived