Magnetization question

Brother Talarian

Not sure where I should have posted this, pinned magnet thread or my WIP thread. Didn't feel as it was progress worthy to go in my WIP, so feel free to move.

Anyhow, why is it requires/suggested to trim the turret, as well as some turret weapons for the LRBT? I didn't trim and it fits fine for me.... Is it a snugger fit...? I haven't put much thought into it but cutting more away would make it looser, in my mind.

Thanks in advance.

I cannot understand your post.

What is a snigger fit?

With magnets, a looser fit isn't always a bad thing... it aides areas that may end up scuffing paint if it is a tight fit.

I haven't one this step yet.

-------------------------------------------------

Turret

No magnets are required. Do not glue the turret base on.

Trim the inner turret slot diagonally as shown

gallery_62353_10053_5240.jpg

Glue the mantlet onto the front of the turret.

gallery_62353_10053_29188.jpg

Some small trimming is also required to the turret weapons as shown below. Ensure that you only trim a small amount at a time and offer the weapon up to the turret to ensure a snug fit.

gallery_62353_10053_8329.jpg

gallery_62353_10053_14160.jpg

gallery_62353_10053_441.jpg

The turret top will now fit snugly to the turret base and by simply applying light pressure they can be separated. The fit on both my trial models is firm enough to lift the weight of the complete Leman Russ by the turret.

gallery_62353_10053_9798.jpg

---------------------

This. I just want to understand the value of trimming away these pieces before I do it.

• 2 weeks later...

No problem... there is no such thing as a daft question - only a daft answer ;)

It allows the different main gun options to be able to slip in and out as the gun mantlet is glued onto the turret rather than onto the main gun option.

gallery_62353_10053_441.jpg

Gluing the mantlet onto the turret means that the tabs on the gun need to be trimmed as they are designed to act as a location point for the mantlet so,

as the gun is raised or lowered, it would snag on the fixed mantlet.

gallery_62353_10053_29188.jpg

The part on the left is the mantlet.

Archived