What would you like BL to do as a sequential series?

DukeLeto69

Ok while I think we can all agree that The Beast Arises had its flaws and had some weaker books it also had some really excellent entries and as an overall story was pretty darn good!

IMO it was an excellent idea that had a few problems in execution.

From a marketing POV it was an excellent idea as it created a huge buzz in the BL community and a pipeline of product we were almost guaranteed to buy each month.

Personally I would love BL to do more sequential series (ie a single large-scale story told over several books by a group of authors) although I would like to see tighter editorial control and perhaps slightly fewer authors involved.

So what entry in the 40k timeline would you like to see covered by future sequential series?

I will start with...

THE ASTROPATH WARS

BTW - I expect many people will say The Age Of Apostasy or Reign of Blood etc I thought so too initially but now I think that would lend itself better to a Setting Series more like Horus Heresy as it spans a long time frame and probably has room for hundreds of different stories/characters.

For me a Sequential Series needs to be more tightly focused and probably covering a shorter timescale.

I think you've hit two great points. First: tighter focus. Second: be a setting.

Like the HH opening trilogy.

What they might want to do is a focussed tight series, but that lends itself to divergent/other big stories.

So the Age of Apostasy told three books Vandire's assistant, three books of Thor's best pal. Intimate and heavy character driven, but absolutely huge capacity for soin-off stories.

The same idea, for me, would be workable for:

- The Abyssal Crusade. (Go extraordinarily heavy on cameos/incidental characters.)

- The Nova Terra Interregnum

- The Moirae Schism

I'd love to see the Moirae schism as told by a coterie of trainee techmarines. Really go deep into it. 3-8 books, extraordinarily character driven.

Big plot things, very few tedious go-nowhere fight scenes.

Oh the Abyssal Crusade would be cool.

What I would like to see?

- Badab

- the False Primarch

- the Black Crusades

- the first Tyranid war (just for the sake of retcon Wards "We were outnumbered but somehow we won!" UM stuff)

- Abyssal Crusade (now that it was mentioned)

I really liked the one per month, over in a year pace of TBA, but the number of books should be dictated by the story not the other way around.

@Xisor named two of the stories I would most like done (Abyssal Crusade, Moraie Schism) but I also wouldn't mind seeing the Badab War done in a similar fashion. FW did a great job in their IA books showing the overall campaign, but I believe it being retold in TBA style, with the politics at play and deeper characterisation of the main players, would make another great series.

Limiting the amount of authors involved might sound like a good move, but could affect the quality of the books (restricting it to just 4 would mean 3 each to write). A good, tight editorial team is more important IMHO.

I'm a fan of doing the Badab War too.

I'm also going to say that GW missed a trick by not having a monthly model to accompany the books. Who wants a Chapter Master Koorland model? I do. How about Grand Master of Assassins Vangorich(sp?)? I do. Or The Beast? Who doesn't want a Dreadnaught sized Ork. I do.

Hopefully it becomes a thing.

I'm a fan of doing the Badab War too.

I'm also going to say that GW missed a trick by not having a monthly model to accompany the books. Who wants a Chapter Master Koorland model? I do. How about Grand Master of Assassins Vangorich(sp?)? I do. Or The Beast? Who doesn't want a Dreadnaught sized Ork. I do.

Hopefully it becomes a thing.

Totally agree. That is the way to sell models using BL - Tie the model(s) to the books not the books to the model releases.

Good suggestions everyone. For me it would be awesome to have in that order:

1) Gothic war - full battle of Gethsemane (not 4 pages of text for it) and Shiendlegaist.

2) Scouring full list of cleansing ;)

3) - The Nova Terra Interregnum
4) Badab
5) The Black Crusades
Everything else is meh for me. Age of Apostasy is the most uninteresting event where

Age of Apostasy is the most uninteresting event where

Really! Well different folks and strokes and all but AOA = Goge Vandire Reign of Blood (lots of politicking opportunities there). Daughters/Brides of the Emperor and birth of the Sororitas. Sebastian Thor! Founding of the Ordo Hereticus! Plague of Unbelief. Founding of the Amalathians. Nah i reckon that would be a nice series (though as I said in OP a setting series not a sequential series).

Really! Well different folks and strokes and all but AOA = Goge Vandire Reign of Blood (lots of politicking opportunities there). Daughters/Brides of the Emperor and birth of the Sororitas. Sebastian Thor! Founding of the Ordo Hereticus! Plague of Unbelief. Founding of the Amalathians. Nah i reckon that would be a nice series (though as I said in OP a setting series not a sequential series).

I do not like stories based only on human ambitions or daemons or heretics. I love CSM (there are none from Vandire side), love tactical and void warfare from the point of different sides. All that and especially Sebastian Thor story are too religious. And religious is bad in case of BL. Cause all the Garro stories based on 'religion' and fate are the worst thing from all the Horus Heresy stuff released to date

Ditto, Duke. I could do with less tales of Space Marines bearing grudges.

Let's see something of the modern-day Kor Phaerons and Luthers, the Sindermans and the Malcadors.

In short: let's see those Inquisition books due out. And maybe a resurgence of Necromunda, political and provedural stories. Give me the worst monsters of the galaxy: Humanity.

Let's see something of the modern-day Kor Phaerons and Luthers, the Sindermans and the Malcadors.

In short: let's see those Inquisition books due out. And maybe a resurgence of Necromunda, political and provedural stories. Give me the worst monsters of the galaxy: Humanity.

Yes yes yes and yes. Inquisition novels from Wraight is a must read for me. I can't wait to get my hands on them. Wraight excerpt at BL Live 2016 from his incoming book was AWESOME!

QFT

Im pretty sure most would agree that the best of the Beast Rises series was the politicking behind the scenes.

An entire series of that would get all of my money and love

Naaaaahh

Don't know if we need the Unification era being covered.

Maybe one to give a glimpse of how the setting was back then, featuring Big E and Malc.

Only thing I would be interested in: how was it back then in terms of regions, kingdoms, tribes and the like.

Though the HH books done by FW give a good glimpse, something like a world map of UW Terra would be cool. :)

Naaaaahh

Don't know if we need the Unification era being covered.

Maybe one to give a glimpse of how the setting was back then, featuring Big E and Malc.

Only thing I would be interested in: how was it back then in terms of regions, kingdoms, tribes and the like.

Though the HH books done by FW give a good glimpse, something like a world map of UW Terra would be cool. smile.png

eeeeeeeh, I'm gonna stick with my love for Unifacation Wars ;)

Unification Wars would be very cool if done by good authours

It could be a whole setting in and of itself...the Age of Thunder, post-apocalyptic Earth brimming with psykers and techno savages. The rise of the Emperor and his thunder legions. The Emperor himself need not be the focus. PoV characters could be mortal soldier, Thunder Warrior recruit, newly conquered subject, what have you.

If people don't want to know about that period, disregard/don't buy the books!

For Imperium focused stuff:

I'd like to see Nova Terra Interregnum/Cataclysm of Souls/Moirae Schism novelized.

I probably won't wind a ton of friends with this but I'd like books where Xenos are the protagonists. Perhaps a series on the rise of the Kabals in Commorragh? Or a series on the establishment of the Farsight Enclaves?

@veterannoob: and its your good right to do so :)

@Formosus: didn't think of that but yeah, Fatsight enclaves would be something of interest for me as well :)

Archived