IronDrake28

+++ AL Coils List (Warhammer 30,000 - The Horus Heresy v46) (3001pts) +++

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List v208) (2342pts) ++

+ HQ (172pts) +

········Legion Centurion (172pts) [Combi-Weapon, Power Dagger, Psychic Mastery Level 2, Tartaros Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Thunderhammer]

············Consul [Librarian]

+ Elites (1100pts) +

········Legion Destroyer Squad (355pts) [9x Legion Destroyer Space Marine, Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 2x Missile Launcher with Suspensor Web and Rad Missiles Only]

············Legion Destroyer Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Phosphex Bombs]

········Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (250pts) [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Veteran Tactics: Marksmen]

············Additional Wargear [2x Plasma gun]

············Legion Veteran Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Chainsword/Combat Blade, Power Dagger]

················Combi-weapon [Combi-weapon: Plasma gun]

········Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (250pts) [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Veteran Tactics: Marksmen]

············Additional Wargear [2x Plasma gun]

············Legion Veteran Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Chainsword/Combat Blade, Power Dagger]

········The Rewards of Treason (245pts)

············Deathshroud Terminator Squad [Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod, 3x Deathshroud Terminators]

+ Troops (480pts) +

········Legion Tactical Squad (160pts) [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines]

············Additional Wargear [bolters]

············Legion Tactical Sergeant [bolter]

········Legion Tactical Squad (160pts) [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines]

+ Heavy Support (590pts) +

········Legion Fire Raptor Gunship (230pts)

············Four wing-mounted: [Hellstrike Missiles]

············Two Turrent-mounted: [Reaper Autocannon Battery]

········Legion Jetbike Sky Slayer Support Squadron (180pts) [Melta Bombs, Multi-melta, 3x Space Marine Sky Slayers]

········Legion Jetbike Sky Slayer Support Squadron (180pts) [Melta Bombs, Multi-melta, 3x Space Marine Sky Slayers]

+ Lords of War (415pts) +

········Alpharius (415pts)

+ Legion +

········Legiones Astartes [ XX: Alpha Legion, Traitor]

········Rite of War [The Coils of the Hydra]

++ The Age of Darkness (Imperialis Militia and Cults Army List v21) (244pts) ++

+ HQ (160pts) +

········Force Commander (160pts) [Cyber-familiar, Digital Laser, Iron Halo, Power Weapon]

············The Muster of Worlds [Cult Horde, Tainted Flesh]

+ Troops (84pts) +

········Inducted Levy Squad (42pts) [Auxilia Pistols, 19x Levy Auxiliaries]

············Custodian [Augmented Weapon]

········Inducted Levy Squad (42pts) [Auxilia Pistols, 19x Levy Auxiliaries]

I'm hoping this list is decent, I always try to squeeze as much cool stuff into a list as I can. (Hence the destroyers :P)

So I'm hoping you guys can help me refine this list, and tell me what could be improved upon.

I'm probably using Scout, though I could use Tank Hunters, for my Mutable Tactics. The vet tac squads and destroyers will be outflanking, whilst the librarian and Alphy I'll jump in the dreadclaw with the deathshroud.

If anyone has a decent alternative to the Libby it'd be much appreciated. I couldn't really see any consul helping my power armoured units much, and only the chaplain and librarian stood out as being helpful to the deathshroud. I figured the libby could get prescience off more times than the chaplain's hatred would come into affect. Either way it's only a mild improvment over preferred enemy.

Thanks in advance. :)

***Edit: Revised list below.

2 things make this list illegal sorry:

- Librarians are Support Officers, so they cannot be used a Compulsory HQ choice. He is your only HQ, so you're going to need someone else. Chaplain is a solid choice instead - the Hatred really helps Primarchs!

- Deathshroud cannot take a Dreadclaw as a Dedicated Transport. Dreadclaws used to have a rule allowing any Terminator-armour equipped unit of 5 models or less to take them as DTs, but they no longer have the rule. Only DT for the Deathshroud is a Land Raider Phobos.

Other than that, the list is pretty good. Couple of suggestions though:

- I would give every Rhino a dozer blade, and a multi-melta if you can afford them.

- Power fists on the Veteran Sergeants (with their power daggers) makes them amazing!

- Vexillas on all the squads are very useful.

- As an alternate "Rewards of Treason" unit, consider Invictarus Suzerains. They can take a Phobos as a DT, and you can take an Apothecary, Chaplain and Alpharius alongside them! The Chaplain in particular really buffs their Legatine axes (any 6 To Hit auto-wounds).

- To pay for all this, drop the Destroyers. They are garbage. I don't think anyone will disagree with this sentiment.

Points permitting, I would also boost the Levy Squads. 20 will die very quickly. :)

Thank you for being so concise Caillum, I'll take all you've said into consideration and put up a revised list. I can't believe I forgot that librarians are support officers. And the illegal dreadclaw is what I get for not checking my book. :P

I second most of what Caillum mentioned above, bare two exceptions from personal experience:

1. Destroyers unlock a LR Proteus as their DT, which fulfils CotH requirements regarding infantry squads and stacks really nice with CotH reserve manipulation. Just keep them as cheap as possible.

2.  The Force Commander with the Cult Horde upgrade really likes a Power Fist combined with a Tainted Weapon and Digi Lasers to give +2 A to the Fist.

I'd drop the Halo, he already has a 4++ due to Cyber Familar and being a Daemon, thereby saving points for the Power Fist.

Otherwise, yes, get Vexillas where possible and get more Levies.

+++ AL Coils List V2 (Warhammer 30,000 - The Horus Heresy v46) (3004pts) +++

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List v208) (2315pts) ++

+ HQ (135pts) +

········Legion Centurion (135pts) [Artificer Armour, Power Dagger, Refractor Field, Thunder Hammer]

············Consul [Chaplain]

+ Elites (1080pts) +

········Apothecarion Detachment (65pts)

············Legion Apothecary

················Additional Wargear [Artificer Armour, Power Sword]

········Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (280pts) [9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Veteran Tactics: Marksmen]

············Additional Wargear [Legion Vexilla, 2x Plasma gun]

············Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier [Dozer Blade]

············Legion Veteran Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Power Dagger, Power Fist]

········Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (280pts) [9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Veteran Tactics: Marksmen]

············Additional Wargear [Legion Vexilla, 2x Plasma gun]

············Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier [Dozer Blade]

············Legion Veteran Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Power Dagger, Power Fist]

········The Rewards of Treason (455pts)

············Invictarus Suzerain Squad [6x Invictarus Suzerains]

················Land Raider Phobos [Dozer Blade]

+ Troops (510pts) +

········Legion Tactical Squad (170pts) [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines]

············Additional Wargear [bolters, Legion Vexilla]

········Legion Tactical Squad (170pts) [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines]

+ Heavy Support (590pts) +

········Legion Fire Raptor Gunship (230pts)

············Four wing-mounted: [Hellstrike Missiles]

············Two Turrent-mounted: [Reaper Autocannon Battery]

+ Lords of War (415pts) +

········Alpharius (415pts)

+ Legion +

········Legiones Astartes [ XX: Alpha Legion, Traitor]

········Rite of War [The Coils of the Hydra]

++ The Age of Darkness (Imperialis Militia and Cults Army List v21) (274pts) ++

+ HQ (150pts) +

········Force Commander (150pts) [Cyber-familiar, Digital Laser, Power Fist]

············The Muster of Worlds [Cult Horde, Tainted Flesh]

+ Troops (124pts) +

········Inducted Levy Squad (62pts) [Auxilia Pistols, 29x Levy Auxiliaries]

········Inducted Levy Squad (62pts) [Auxilia Pistols, 29x Levy Auxiliaries]

Okay, I've dropped the destroyers, 355pts is a tad much for a cool unit on second thought. :(

A chaplain and an apothecary have replaced the libby.

And the deathshroud have been switched with suzies in a phobos. I'd feel bad about it but I play UM, so I shouldn't feel *too* bad. :P

I've added fists to the vet sargeants, and dozer blades to their rhinos, but I couldn't quite afford the multi-meltas. Vexillas for everybody!

The normal tacticals will just be for holding objectives so I wanted to keep them cheap and cheerful.

Also added more levies, and changed the commander's wargear. I forget they gain the daemon rule.

Does my list have enough anti-tank? It seems a bit too focused on anti-infantry.

What is your plan for Alpharius now that the dreadclaw is removed?

The skyslayer multimelta jetbikes are ok anti-tank, but you only get 3 shots, which means 1 miss on average, 2 hits which need to be within 12" to get the extra dice for armour pen, which I think is a bit risky as they're quite a pricey unit to lose if they get charged by something like a dreadnought. You could change one of the veteran units to machine killers, swap the plasma for melta and take some combi meltas

The suzerain's in the landraider are pretty expensive; almost 500 points for 6 guys in a landraider, I'd consider taking an anvillus drop pod (fast attack) for the suzerain, chaplain and alpharius. This would then free up some points for combi weapons for your veterans and multi melta's on your rhinos.

The skyslayer multimelta jetbikes are ok anti-tank, but you only get 3 shots, which means 1 miss on average, 2 hits which need to be within 12" to get the extra dice for armour pen, which I think is a bit risky as they're quite a pricey unit to lose if they get charged by something like a dreadnought. You could change one of the veteran units to machine killers, swap the plasma for melta and take some combi meltas

The suzerain's in the landraider are pretty expensive; almost 500 points for 6 guys in a landraider, I'd consider taking an anvillus drop pod (fast attack) for the suzerain, chaplain and alpharius. This would then free up some points for combi weapons for your veterans and multi melta's on your rhinos.

Alpharius was going to go in the land raider with the suzerains. I see what you mean about the price, but I can't give them a dreadclaw as a DT so it would be an illegal choice for Coils. I figured 25pts on 1 extra suzie was better than anything else.

I'm quite a fan of the sky slayers. With melta bombs and multi-meltas they're only 10pts more than a 3 man outrider squad (which I was using before) with TL meltaguns and melta bombs, but they have preferred enemy from Alphy anyway, they have better range, a 2+ save, and I can give them scout with mutable tactics, or just deep strike them with tank hunter.

Interesting list, i'm looking at doing something very similar myself. Although i'm a little confused, can someone explain why Chaplains are good for Primarchs? Bit new to the 30K world so I may have missed something, but don't they only give Zealot to the unit, which Alpharius provides through Fearless? 

I was looking at taking some Suzerains, Apoth, Alph and a Forge lord with Rad grenades, inside the Phobos. Might be a bit harsh and expensive though...

Interesting list, i'm looking at doing something very similar myself. Although i'm a little confused, can someone explain why Chaplains are good for Primarchs? Bit new to the 30K world so I may have missed something, but don't they only give Zealot to the unit, which Alpharius provides through Fearless?

I was looking at taking some Suzerains, Apoth, Alph and a Forge lord with Rad grenades, inside the Phobos. Might be a bit harsh and expensive though...

The forgelord doesn't benefit the until enough for me, and they're a tad more expensive than a chaplain. (At least with the loadoit I use.)

Suzies benefit from full re-rolling to hit because of the auto-wound on a 6.

I think chaplains are good because their hatred buff is reliable, in that it will always go off and will always be useful, where a librarian might fail to cast or a forgelord'a rad grenades will be inconsequential to some enemies.

Alpharius having preferred enemy means he gains even less of a benefit compared to other primarchs from hatred, but in this circumstance a chaplain is the best choice after some thought.

Dark Serpentine, post up your list when you've written it!

As Irondrake said, you need to think carefully when building up expensive units and adding multiple characters, it's very easy to put all your eggs in one basket, so to speak, and leave the rest of your list feeling a bit lackluster.

Irondrake, let me know how the jetbikes do, I've got 3 on the way and am looking forward to using them for my sons of horus :)

Dark Serpentine, post up your list when you've written it!

As Irondrake said, you need to think carefully when building up expensive units and adding multiple characters, it's very easy to put all your eggs in one basket, so to speak, and leave the rest of your list feeling a bit lackluster.

Irondrake, let me know how the jetbikes do, I've got 3 on the way and am looking forward to using them for my sons of horus :)

Plasma vets in rhinos, and jetbikes are the focus of my current smaller list.

The bikes tend to be looked over/ignored, but they can do some damage. Alpha Legion rules help to get them up the board for the sweet melta-ing. Deep-striking them is dangerous but it's worked out for me a couple times. I'm sure scatter mitigation of some variety would help. I use them as a suicide unit, but a more proficient player would probably kite them around the enemy to avoid fire.

I'd love to make a jetbike command squad one day...maybe when the full Dark Angels rules get released. :P

To waste points on non-AL models when you already invested in Alpharius seems crazy to me.

That Raptor should be 240.

Ah, I meant the DA as a separate force. I was just musing on my recent found love for jetbikes haha.

Cheers for spotting that points error. :)

I find skyslayers to be awesome, especially with Alpharius, although I agree 3 may be too few. I try to go for a full unit when possible.  Getting the extra die is not always necessary then, just getting a pen or two through is often enough to do some silly damage.

The drop pod for the combat unit isn't actually legal in coils, because it's not a dedicated transport and does not confer deep strike to the unit inside. So you would have to pick infiltrate to include the Suzerain, but then Alpharius cannot join them.

Also worth keeping in mind it has recently been pointed out to me that Alpharius does not grant preferred enemy while in a transport.  He's quite hard to use, actually, all my planned lists with him are on hold.

The attack re-rolls is still a solid buff even if you don't need fearless (plus Alphy can always split off to go after a different target), but I agree that the Forge Lord is a stronger option. I think he does quite a bit actually for a unit with S4 weapons. So instead of wounding ~58.5% of the time, you're wounding ~77%. 18.5% increase in wound rate is very solid. Plus they are among the fightier and tankiest Consuls with a 4++ invulnerable and extra fist attack (so with a fist and dagger you're talking about 5 power fist attacks base).

Withershadow, i was thinking along the same lines with the Forge Lord. With WS5 and PE, they really need a buff to their wound rolls. Plus he helps keep the phobos alive at a stretch. For those that are interested, i have posted my list back up. Would love to hear what people think.

I always liked the Forge Lord, but I thought the Chaplain gave them the better buffs. I think I'm converted to the FL after those points Withershadow! Somehow I never factored in the PE that Alpharius already granted. :)

Archived