Knight House WIP

Tyriks

So, I think I should divide my AdMech WIP thread and the Knight House I'm working on.  I should take some pics later of the first Knight, but I'm kind of stuck on a name for the house right now.

The House was ancient, and headquartered somewhere in the Obsidious system, but died out during the Old Night and only remained as legends until several centuries ago.  Through dubious means, a Forge Lord acquired a Knight chassis (maybe more than one, not sure yet) and spent decades repairing and rebuilding it.  As he got it ready, he sought out active Freeblades and pilots who had survived losing their Knights, and bribed those he could to come to Obsidious and join him, and used them and the rebuilt Knight(s) to restart the House.  He claimed he had discovered the deactivated Knights and so sought out distant descendants of the old house, and hoped for political advancement due to his find.  However, it backfired, because the Knights were determined not to dishonor the name they had falsely taken as their own (being ashamed of their secret). 

So, for a name, I have a few ideas.  First, I could twist the name of an actual extinct noble house into something that sounds 40k appropriate. For example, House Mannoth (taken from house Monmouth) or House Hexetus (house Exeter) or house Khandos (house Chandos).  The other option is making one up, which I find harder.  I thought up a few sort of generic names that sound like Knight Houses, but I am not that excited about them since they are generic (stuff like Coldshroud, Hawkwood, Winterveil from the canon Houses).  I had a few name ideas I like more but they don't sound that much like noble houses.  One I have lingered on is House Fulkanith (derived from 'volcanic,' with the idea being that in ancient texts the word is used to describe their corporate personality as well as their headquarters, and it is mistakenly attributed to be the name of the house).  But I'm not entirely sold on that, and I think something like Mannoth might be better.  I'm open to any thoughts, if anyone has them!

Here's some WIP shots of the Knight so far. There's still a TON to do but it's coming along!

gallery_92812_12820_872221.jpg

I haven't glued the jousting shield on yet because it isn't done yet, and it's easier painting it when it isn't attached.

gallery_92812_12820_1676098.jpg

gallery_92812_12820_675962.jpg

I had originally used the Mechanicus mask that looks like a Necron face. However, I was happy with the eyes, which completely did not show through that mask, so I hastily painted up this one.

gallery_92812_12820_35081.jpg

The arms are all magnetized. I have yet to build the other main guns (not sure if I want to magnetize both since that's a lot of work, I may just build the melta for now). There will be red on the armor, not just black. I just want to finish the black before I start on the red. I'll probably wash the body a little more later, too.

Edited by Tyriks

Indeed, coming along nicely :tu: The model is quite large in surface area with a fair bit of detail so it can take a while before you feel like you're making progress. Don't worry about the house name yet, there is plenty of time to come up with that. All I had were some rough ideas for the name and lore for my knight house until I had mostly completed the model, then it gave me the ideas I needed :)

Good job thus far.

Indeed, coming along nicely :thumbsup: The model is quite large in surface area with a fair bit of detail so it can take a while before you feel like you're making progress. Don't worry about the house name yet, there is plenty of time to come up with that. All I had were some rough ideas for the name and lore for my knight house until I had mostly completed the model, then it gave me the ideas I needed :smile.:

Thanks!  And you're totally right - I just spent about two hours adding more nuln oil to a lot of the leadbelcher parts, then going over other parts with iron breaker to lighten them up, and I honestly can't see a difference without before and after pics!  But I refuse to cut corners on a model like this, and I know it will look better in the end if I do it, so it's worth the time.

Indeed, larger models should be a labour of love :) I have no idea how many hours I sank into my Knight other than "a lot" but she stands tall as the best model I have ever done so they were all well spent. You will be able to look back on this topic and say the same - as Jeff says take your time the model is too nice to rush anyway ;)