Power Fist, Artificer Armor
Drop Pod
[305]

(10) Terror Squad
9x Volkite Charger
Drop Pod
[305]

(10) Assault Squad (Apoth, Curze, Vigilator)
2x Power Axe, Power Fist & Artificer Armor
[220]

Fast Attack:
Primaris-Lightning
4x Kraken, BSC, GTA
[230]

Xiphon
[205]

Heavy:
Leviathan
Drill, AC, Phosphex, CML
Dreadnought Drop Pod
[430]

Lord of War:
Konrad Curze
[435]

[3000]

I don't think I missed any limitations or rules or anything. This is my first real foray into a Terror Assault list. As I own a ton of basic Marines and drop Pods, it seemed a good way to re-use some units from my DAV list and expand my collection. 

The Assault Marines Scout forward and are Shrouded/Stealthed with FNP. That should make them survive a rough round of shooting, if it happens. They are the anchor. On T1, I can bring down the Atramentar, the Leviathan, and a Terror Squad. That is some hefty, with a second wave of Terror Squads dropping in to help mop up. Xiphon for AA, Primaris to nuke Flare Shielded stuff, and the Leviathan to help tear up armor as well. 

Thoughts?

In an effort to maximize anti-tank, which the list needs on the drop to help mitigate that weakness, I was thinking of swapping the Atramentar over from the above loadout to this:

(5) Legion Cataphractii Terminators 
Chainfist & Combi-Melta, 3x Combi-Meltas & Power Axes, 1x Chainfist & Combi-Bolter
Anvillus Dreadclaw 
[360] 

Thoughts?

One thing to consider is that Night Lords can take teleporter transponders, so there's no reason to waste pts on a dreadclaw for them, especially if you're going to take combi weapons on them giving they will shoot the turn they drop in. I would suggest combi plasma over melta though, the double shots is more useful against a wide range of targets, and plasma can still damage most vehicle's side/rear armor. 

If you still want 5 pods in the list, you could drop the xiphon and take a veteran unit with combi meltas and machine killers in a pod to add a little more anti tank. 

One thing to consider is that Night Lords can take teleporter transponders, so there's no reason to waste pts on a dreadclaw for them, especially if you're going to take combi weapons on them giving they will shoot the turn they drop in. I would suggest combi plasma over melta though, the double shots is more useful against a wide range of targets, and plasma can still damage most vehicle's side/rear armor. 

If you still want 5 pods in the list, you could drop the xiphon and take a veteran unit with combi meltas and machine killers in a pod to add a little more anti tank. 

Having the Terminator come in T1 vs T2 is a big difference. That is T2 assault vs T3, plus it puts me at 5 Pods. That being said, I have no idea what Angelus will bring the 8th, but I venture a guess at the Atramentar. I would hate to model and paint up Legion Termies just to abandon them when our Legion specialty releases, but now that I think about it... why not? Maybe they won't overlap that much. Who knows!

One big reason I went Combi-Melta was to give me a secondary vector against a Knight on T1. They get one facing for their shield, this gives me two units that can shoot - one of them will be outside that arc, meaning I can do significant damage to a Knight on the drop. 

Not sure Vets are worth dropping the Xiphon - that is my only AA unit really. And it has two Lascannons and a TL ML (AP2!) for antitank work too in a pinch. 

Considering your terminators are mainly geared for just assaults with no combi plasma, I'd say that's a fair point. Even if Angelus give us Atrementar (which I certainly hope it does) that's not going to make legion terminators completely useless, plenty of other legions with special terminator units still use the base unit. 

Maybe AA is a problem in your meta, i've never really had a need though for a dedicated AA unit, just don't face that many fliers, and machine killer vets would be better anti tank than an xiphon. Plus the lightning could serve as AA in a pinch after unloading it's missiles on a ground target, though that's assuming it's still alive of course. 

Considering your terminators are mainly geared for just assaults with no combi plasma, I'd say that's a fair point. Even if Angelus give us Atrementar (which I certainly hope it does) that's not going to make legion terminators completely useless, plenty of other legions with special terminator units still use the base unit. 

Maybe AA is a problem in your meta, i've never really had a need though for a dedicated AA unit, just don't face that many fliers, and machine killer vets would be better anti tank than an xiphon. Plus the lightning could serve as AA in a pinch after unloading it's missiles on a ground target, though that's assuming it's still alive of course. 

I never make that assumption and a lone Fire Raptor going unanswered would cause me great woes. I know my meta won't shy from them, especially our RG player and having it gives me a leg up on the Legions who don't pack AA.

Also, I have a distinct hate of Plasma. No one rolls 1's like I do. Seriously, I have killed more of my own dudes with Plasma than enemies. It is awful. 

Does MK on Vets really make a difference? If they have AC, the +1 isn't going to make it much easier (16% improvement). I think having Combi-Meltas on more durable bodies (2+/4++) is more advantageous, albeit more expensive PPM+Transport.

I did think about a Cortus w/ twin Grav as a solid alternative though. Staying in the Pod for the cover save and shooting out Grav shots, then disembarking and assault with a Chainfist next turn? Seem legit?

Cortus contemptor with fist/chainfist and dual grav has always been my go to anti tank option in terror assault, never leave home without one, sometimes even two if I badly need anti tank. Only thing to keep in mind is the shrouding save is going to apply to yourself and your target, and the cortus already has a +5 invul on the front, though granted that's not hard to get around. I do actually prefer the normal contemptor if I have the pts, but doesn't happen all that often. 

I would say MK on vets makes a big difference, mainly because you have a chance to pen an armor fourteen vehicle, whereas without MK you don't. Granted as you said it's a small improvement, but that chance for an explodes result makes all the difference. 

Man hating plasma, it's my absolute favorite as far as ranged weapons go. Understandable I suppose though if you roll ones all the time. 

I mean again I face very few fliers, but if you're constantly facing something like a fire raptor then having an xiphon is ideal. 

Cortus contemptor with fist/chainfist and dual grav has always been my go to anti tank option in terror assault, never leave home without one, sometimes even two if I badly need anti tank. Only thing to keep in mind is the shrouding save is going to apply to yourself and your target, and the cortus already has a +5 invul on the front, though granted that's not hard to get around. I do actually prefer the normal contemptor if I have the pts, but doesn't happen all that often. 

I would say MK on vets makes a big difference, mainly because you have a chance to pen an armor fourteen vehicle, whereas without MK you don't. Granted as you said it's a small improvement, but that chance for an explodes result makes all the difference. 

Man hating plasma, it's my absolute favorite as far as ranged weapons go. Understandable I suppose though if you roll ones all the time. 

I mean again I face very few fliers, but if you're constantly facing something like a fire raptor then having an xiphon is ideal. 

SO! With all that input, how about this option:

HQ:

Vigilator

Artificer Armor, Jump Pack, Refractor Field, Nostroman Chainglaive, Trophies

[145]

Elites:

Apothecary

Jump Pack

[60]

Contemptor-Cortus

2x Grav, Chainfist

Dreadnought Drop Pod

[275]

Troops:

(10) Terror Squad

9x Volkite Charger

Drop Pod

[305]

(10) Terror Squad

9x Volkite Charger

Drop Pod

[305]

(10) Terror Squad

9x Volkite Charger

Drop Pod

[305]

(10) Assault Squad (Apoth, Curze, Vigilator)

2x Power Axe, Power Fist & Artificer Armor

[220]

Fast Attack:

Primaris-Lightning

4x Kraken, BSC, GTA

[230]

Xiphon

GTA

[215]

Javelin Attack Speeder

CML, MM, 2x HK Missiles

[75]

Heavy:

Leviathan

Drill, AC, Phosphex, CML

Dreadnought Drop Pod

[430]

Lord of War:

Konrad Curze

[435]

[3000]

Not a major shift from the prior list, but features the twin Grav Cortus (an excuse also to put a NL Contemptor on the table! WOO!) and a Javelin, because that can help with antitank work too, even if it is a bit delicate. Otherwise, same basic premise as any TA list.

What do you think?

I think that's better, the terminators were filling an anti infantry role which you already have plenty of, the contemptor and javelin will give you a bigger anti armor punch which is more useful.  Also javelins might be flimsy, but I think they are great, for their cost they are a great bargain. It's better to field 2-3 since they are so flimsy, if you dropped the power axes on the assault marines, maybe some fists on your sergeants and made your vigilator a bit more bare bones you might be able to find the pts if you want a second javelin.  

I think that's better, the terminators were filling an anti infantry role which you already have plenty of, the contemptor and javelin will give you a bigger anti armor punch which is more useful.  Also javelins might be flimsy, but I think they are great, for their cost they are a great bargain. It's better to field 2-3 since they are so flimsy, if you dropped the power axes on the assault marines, maybe some fists on your sergeants and made your vigilator a bit more bare bones you might be able to find the pts if you want a second javelin.  

I honestly was working hard to find points for a second. Damn me if I could't. That will require playtesting. If some of those frills prove less useful, I can cut them. But I am so loathe to go without Fists and Axes! But I do agree with you that 2+ is always the best way to roll. :)

Machine killers makes a huge difference especially if they have armoured ceramite. It's not a 16% improvement as much as a doubling of your chances to remove a hull point and then a further chance to blow it up on a 5+.

You don't seem to have to select veteran tactics at the army building stage, so you can go with the one you need based on the opponent. If a bunch of regular vehicles, just use baseline meltaguns. If ceramite AV14 hulls, kill the machine!

Archived