LOW for 3000 point army

Bythehololight

I own and have fielded a Falchion at 2500 points  So I  will comment on my experiences with it. 

It is ... a very FAIR superheavy tank, its not terribly potent It CAN  be very good , but its not an all powerful destroyer of worlds , Sometimes you will find you are getting more work out of its sponsons than its main gun , not a bad tank by any means , but not the best thing in the world honestly .

I own and have fielded a Falchion at 2500 points So I will comment on my experiences with it.

It is ... a very FAIR superheavy tank, its not terribly potent It CAN be very good , but its not an all powerful destroyer of worlds , Sometimes you will find you are getting more work out of its sponsons than its main gun , not a bad tank by any means , but not the best thing in the world honestly .

Thanks bladewolf. Would you stick with the Falchion, or in hindsight would you go for something else?

The Typhon  is really good  denies cover saves ,  has a larger blast  , shorter range but is  much cheaper 

I have run both and the Typhon  proved to be more effective over a similar number of turns  for me 

( granted this was in two different tournament events ) 

My friends at my local store dont want to play against the Typhon ,they are fine with playing against the Falchion.  

I also have run the Fellblade and Fellglaive variants, the Typhon beats both of them as far as effectiveness over similar turns though The Fellblade is a very good all around tank , and the  Glaive if your opponent is not spacing properly is  also pretty good.  

The Typhon simple is more attractively priced , with a very good weapon and AV 14 all around. 

Primarchs are great, they really can be very useful in games.

The Stormsword is my favourite of the large Super Heavy tanks available to Marines, and a Typhon is similar though perhaps less exciting.

Primarchs are great, they really can be very useful in games.

The Stormsword is my favourite of the large Super Heavy tanks available to Marines, and a Typhon is similar though perhaps less exciting.

Do you mean the Stormblade? Or the stormsword via the iron warriors and their primarch?

No, 30k Legion can take a Stormsword as a LoW.

36" range, Apocalyptic, Str10 Ap1, Ignore Cover Primary Weapon on a 9HP platform with potentially 4 Las Cannons and 5 Heavy Bolters on top and a Marine Crew.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Imperial-Guard-Stormsword?_requestid=20450318

It's in the most recent red book as an option but the rules are found in Escalation (though I'm happy to share them).

The Typhon is really good denies cover saves , has a larger blast , shorter range but is much cheaper

I have run both and the Typhon proved to be more effective over a similar number of turns for me

( granted this was in two different tournament events )

My friends at my local store dont want to play against the Typhon ,they are fine with playing against the Falchion.

I also have run the Fellblade and Fellglaive variants, the Typhon beats both of them as far as effectiveness over similar turns though The Fellblade is a very good all around tank , and the Glaive if your opponent is not spacing properly is also pretty good.

The Typhon simple is more attractively priced , with a very good weapon and AV 14 all around.

Thanks again very informative. Along with everyone else's advice I am now more indecisive than I was before! Ha

Two of the best options are the Typhon and the Stormsword. 

The Typhon  is a bit more defensive having 14 all around , though the blast is a touch smaller ( but still quite large ) 

The Stormsword   has weaker rear armor so it takes more finesse  to use but has a larger blast with better sponson options and 3 more hullpoints. 

I prefer the Typhon personally but both are very strong , and provide a very potent shooting threat to your lists. 

As far as primarchs go , I find them to be  units you use if your legion  and list have synergy with what they bring to the table.
They are all fairly strong in close combat , and they all  have their bonuses , but I  often find that  you can play around them , or prey on the fact that many of them  are not terribly mobile without a transport.   Also when it comes to LOW effectiveness to cost , something like a Typhon has a higher chance of making its points back , than a Primarch , his ride , his retinue etc etc   

Again speaking from my personal experience more than anything else. 

As far as primarchs go , I find them to be  units you use if your legion  and list have synergy with what they bring to the table.

They are all fairly strong in close combat , and they all  have their bonuses , but I  often find that  you can play around them , or prey on the fact that many of them  are not terribly mobile without a transport.  

I think the mobility issue varies a lot from primarch to primarch. Curze, Mortarian and Corax all have excellent mobility even without a transport. Other primarchs like Horus and Preturabo have access to special deep strike rules that gets them in enemy lines pretty quickly. Then yes you have a bunch of primarchs who need a standard transport, but in many of those cases you're getting really good synergy bonuses you can use depending on your army build  from primarchs like Guilliman. 

That all being said yes I can see how often just a big tank with a big template can be more useful, but I find primarchs too fun to pass up on them in big games. 

3000 points is a big game.

I recommend the maximum damage from a Stormsword or a list geared around maximising a Primarch.

You want to help the games end faster!

I searched the red book and didn't find the option to take a stormsword. It's at least not in the list at page ten. Where can I find it?

Hm.

I read there to, but could not find the Stormsword. The other tanks I found though. Gonna check that again after work. (It's 08:27 in the morning in my country)

Maybe I missed that.

Just checked the red book. It's on page 10. The Banehammer is also selectable, I'd forgotten about that one.

Personally my preference is always primarch first but Lorgar buffs my army well and has a few options where as some primarchs can be so so.

If your looking at superheavies I can't recommend the glaive enough, it's filthy and it's pretty consistent. Falcion is also a good option but its hit and miss, amazing when you get those 6s but can be disappointing.

Could be.

I have no blurb in mine.

Oh and by the way. Blurb is really funny word. Had to look that up to understand you. :D

Curious though, because I thought that I have the new Red book with all the updatet units like cheaper Tactical Squads and so on.

Archived