Returning to Guard after 15+ years

Thoridon

One suggestion as someone who did something similar upon returning to the hobby

Keep him as a reminder of how far you've come

I regret stripping all my Mordians and repainting them and only having a few crappy pics to reference how I've progressed

This is harder with models no longer in production

He was sitting in acetone within minutes of me posting that.

I had a lot of badly painted models from my youth, and it would be a shame not to use them now. Considering I started painting before I was 10 I had the whole spectrum of crappy paint jobs, through to those that weren’t too awful before I stopped.

I might save a couple of old models with my earliest paint jobs but to be honest if I can repurpose something I probably will.

I feel I have a more relevant progress journey from when I picked things up again 4-5 years ago to now, where I can see a definite difference. These are all done in my mid thirties, not when I was 9-10-11 and slapping humbrol enamels on in thick layers.

Will bear that in mind though, if I find one I can set aside for nostalgia :)

I really like the original Lightning model :) There's just a lot of cleanup needed on it as the resin quality was quite a bit worse than we have on new FW models. Various panels warped, parts not fitting together cleanly, air bubbles and so on. I have some more milliput work to do on that before I can start the painting but it'll be worth it. I'm not sure if the warping and so on was from the casting or due to sitting in its box for ~20 years.

I think the only modification I made was magnetising a new plastic autocannon under the nose to fit the current rules. That and magnetising a new flying stand as I'd obviously lost the original.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...