Guilliman and Grand Master Voldus

Prot

Am i the only one who doesn't like voldus?

To me he looks no better than someone i could kit bash with the usual gk tda box.

The new cypher on the other hand. Down right amazing.

He looks like a solid GK with a unique chest plate, and something other than books standing on top of his TDA.

To me he looks no better than someone i could kit bash with the usual gk tda box.

You may be... although I must admit I am a fan of the subtle look. Like WD said, the ornate chest plate and the unique Daemonhammer are more than enough to signify his rank for me. Definitely buying him.

His pose doesn't suggest a "beat stick" character; I'd anticipate he'd be a fairly standard GM in terms of combat but his special abilities will be more strategic, buffing and/or psychic. In fact, I rather like his undemonstrative, relaxed stance: given he's in the company of two of the most legendary characters in the 40k-verse, both of whom are in dynamic combat poses, his "actually, I don't need to make an effort to look cool" attitude radiates competence and confidence.

His pose doesn't suggest a "beat stick" character; I'd anticipate he'd be a fairly standard GM in terms of combat but his special abilities will be more strategic, buffing and/or psychic. In fact, I rather like his undemonstrative, relaxed stance: given he's in the company of two of the most legendary characters in the 40k-verse, both of whom are in dynamic combat poses, his "actually, I don't need to make an effort to look cool" attitude radiates competence and confidence.

Not only do I agree, I also hope you are correct, I would love to see him buff the psychic phase. It would also be great for the GK overall to have more options in general.

I have been thinking more about Voldus and I really think he will be a gateway to a form of LibCon.

It won't be as strong as LibCon, but I see it extremely similar to Thousand Sons' Exiles formation.

Voludus +3-5 Librarians. Pass all tests on 3+ ( pretty much passing Sanctic on all but 2's)

Vanilla Variant. LvL 3 Libby +3-5 Libbies. Pick an area of expertise (Divination, Telepathy, etc) All tests on that discipline are passed on a 3+.

Neither formation should/would have a range restriction on the bonus.

I know the "LibCon" thing has been overdone but I don't see why GK won't get a variant of it.

Voldus will have something specific.... something very anti-daemon I imagine. His inherent power might be more situational but when I think of Greyfax, she has a fantastic power but she's so mediocre otherwise for her points it's a hard fit in a lot of lists.

So far from what I've seen or my impression we get 2 great characters and one meh character. So my  assumption is Cypher awesome Robo Girlyman awesome Voludus will be meh for most people. However saying that I hope the Meh for most people is still awesome for pure GK players in the sense that unless you field GK's he won't be a force multiplier for their army. With that being said being from the 3rd which is more or less responsible for librarians I think we can reasonably assume he will be a buffer/psyker of higher caliber.

Some of the assumptions I would have

Grand master as well as Librarian, so 4+ invul save (Iron Halo) Libby with possibly 3 wounds (sanctuary giving him 3+ save) - This is most likely a guarantee but could be better basically I can see him as a Grand Master Statline librarian best of both worlds

I would assume he would come as stock ML3 Psyker possibly ML4 but doubtful

Hammer will most likely be master crafted

150-200 pts most likely 200 pts However I could see this going as high as 250 pts

I could see him being the mirror of Ahriman via Wrath of Magnus (can't make comparisons if any I don't have the WoM book)

1 unique psychic power to him

1 Unique Formation with him to use with Grey Knights However before I get excited I would almost certainly expect this to be a very expensive formation pt wise to field. With is I would lean for it being more psyker friendly over deep strike friendly IE casting on 3+ when generating powers etc. 

You may be... although I must admit I am a fan of the subtle look. Like WD said, the ornate chest plate and the unique Daemonhammer are more than enough to signify his rank for me. Definitely buying him.

I agree. I mean the whole line is very uniform with subtle differences. I don't think he could look that different without becoming an entirely different unit. I like him. I just can't see him being that great unless he's over 200 points which has him competing with Draigo.

He is likely to be within the 200-250 point range. That seems to be the norm for most of these guys at the least.

He will likely be the psyker of the three. Seems to be a theme they are doing for the other two triumvirates at least.

Classic GK equipment. ML2 or 3 with some kind of fluffy ability that we haven't seen yet. Probably something that will effect demons.

The previous Triumvirates have been pan-faction characters, so that'll probably continue. I could see this one giving anti-Chaos benefits to their detachments: Cypher granting PE:CSM (insider knowledge) and Voldus PE:Daemons.

Hopefully he'd give something else for GKs...

I'd kill for a Psyker whose guaranteed Vortex.

I agree. I mean the whole line is very uniform with subtle differences. I don't think he could look that different without becoming an entirely different unit. I like him. I just can't see him being that great unless he's over 200 points which has him competing with Draigo.

Im curious, how would you feel if his stats were like this:

My guess is a ML3 grandmaster with a MC daemonhammer who knows all of the sanctuary discipline. 215pts.

ML3, MC AP2 CCW, with access to Sanctuary. He would definitely be much better than our other Characters but would you shell out 215 pts for it? Points-wise that's around Dreadknight territory, but with the stats skarn suggested I would certainly be tempted to drop a ML3 Libby and a bit of something else to try and fit him into my army. Would you think at those stats he would be competing with Draigo for space, or would they synergise well together in the same unit? 

I'd kill for a Psyker whose guaranteed Vortex.

I'd be okay with that. I love Vortex. It's the most 'all or nothing' psyker power there is, imho of course.

That would be a very interesting/unique set psychic power. Crunch-wise, you'd literally be playing RUSSIAN ROULETTE with your MIND BULLETS! lol

Still, while potentially very powerful and the idea of wreaking havoc with a moving D-blast on the table, with your opponent cursing, "...this is madness!" hilariously awesome, I dont know about risking your 200+ point character to melting his mind every psychic phase. Sure, you dont have to use it every turn or any turn at all really, but his base points will account for him having that set power, and if you've paid for it, ideally it should be usable. As other have mentioned, if he comes with an inherent psychic buff (eg. harness WC on a 3+), re-roll Perils of the Warp, or FnP (also possible from Paladin unit), then maybe Id risk Perils to summon the Vortex.

So from the newest leaks he's definitely a psyker of renown. They keep mentioning of how he comes from the librarian brotherhood etc. He's Hammer is named which means it could have some kind of added benefit. So far no minuses that I can deduce. Any other thoughts on him from leaked comments? Also disappointing that he's going to be massively overshadowed by Cypher and Mr Primarch. However this could be good cause it may mean that his rules have to be that much better to compete? (I know wishful thinking)

So from the newest leaks he's definitely a psyker of renown. They keep mentioning of how he comes from the librarian brotherhood etc. He's Hammer is named which means it could have some kind of added benefit. So far no minuses that I can deduce. Any other thoughts on him from leaked comments? Also disappointing that he's going to be massively overshadowed by Cypher and Mr Primarch. However this could be good cause it may mean that his rules have to be that much better to compete? (I know wishful thinking)

I can't help but interpret the constant mentioning of his Psyker capabilities as a high liklihood of awesome rules (ML4 even?!) The named hammer will be good I believe.

It's just hard to see things like "epitome of the GK" and leader of the brotherhood with "the chapter's most powerful psykers" as anything less than epic. The biggest curiosity I have is how he will buff the army as the other Triumverate characters do with their factions.

My hope meter is currently off the charts... lol

Yeah I don't see how we don't get some kind of brand new formation out of this, we definitely got cheated in the imperial agents codex with the NSF lite... but if they give us a fluffy formation we can definitely hope for some psychic buffs, especially with all this hype around the 3rd Brotherhoods psykers... =D

Wishlist:

Lets GKs cast ML+1 powers, yes please!

He can cast on a 3+ yeh Ill take that too.

Buffs others to reroll perils, result nice and not OP.

I have to say I'd be bummed if GKs missed out on formations. Or if the ones we get are apoc level.

My impression from what's been shown on B&C and on the GW site is that the detachments given in GS1 and GS2 have been mixed, rather than mono-faction (although I'd be happy to stand corrected by someone with either of those books), so I'd be cautious about expecting a pure GK detachment or formation.

My impression from what's been shown on B&C and on the GW site is that the detachments given in GS1 and GS2 have been mixed, rather than mono-faction (although I'd be happy to stand corrected by someone with either of those books), so I'd be cautious about expecting a pure GK detachment or formation.

This is a good point. But so is newdigital's.....

It's safe to assume then that Voldus is going to be a plug and play librarian, but for GK he will will extend his powers by a greater factor when with the 3rd Brotherhood.

He is the 'fresh' faced Grandmaster of the Librarius. I would hope he would be ML3, and have some inherent power (Greyfax-ish) and enpower Grey Knight forces.

This is in line with what you guys are saying and what we're reading on the website.

I just can't believe Voldus allows the appearance of Cypher in Guilliman's ressurrection.

Now I know that Guilliman has to strike a deal with Cypher, but knowing he's ultimately going to betray the Emperor, why on sweet Terra would he stand by this? Just because Cypher promises a ticket to Terra?

Archived