Heresy Weekender News and Discussion

helterskelter

Been digesting the rules over the last few days. I'm really glad to see these armies getting such good support after so long. On the other hand, I'm feeling some serious power creep and I am worried about how this affects some of the other legions. It feels like these armies are balanced against each other, but not necessarily the rest of the legions.

I wonder if there's any future proofing, unlikely but still possible, involved with a new game edition. Or perhaps FW are leaning on the 'fun first' scene that 30k seems to have been built on.

Honestly when it comes to the power creep I am not really seeing it, Subtract Magnus and Russ from the equation, I think both of those have rules that are easy to abuse if not hampered through ITC style rulings.....

As for the armies themselves; the wolves feel about right, strong, relatively fast, hit hard in melee, and have some unique options for organization. Counter attack after you win a combat, and +1 WS when charging feels good, the frost weapons all seem good and reasonably costed, and the units I have read feel good without feeling overpowered at first glance; Perhaps I am wrong as I didn't go over them with a  fine-tooth comb the way I did the 1k sons rules, but they feel fine to me as far as initial impressions go.

Now for the sons; The sons seem....,pretty good overall (Excluding abuse of Magnus), they seem like tiny bonuses overall to allow certain army builds to benefit so your list will be more specialized.......*but* certain things will always be a thing....

Generally there is NO reason not to make a Heavy Support or Volkite Charger/rotor cannon team Corvidae, its free re-rolls.  And for any terminator in the list "Raptora" is really *the* only option for obvious reasons regarding terminators, the same goes for any unit with an innate invulnerable save.....Raptora is going to be a thing ALOT, as the Pavoni and the Athenans are almost useless on the table In crunch (I have a feeling this is to balance out Biomancy and Telepathy being Go-To Psychic lores)  As the Pyrae, Corvidae, and Raptora all have very good and practical uses on the table I struggle to see Pavoni or Athenaens getting extensive table time.

the Negatives of the army feel painful; if you kill all the characters a PERMANENT -1 LD? OUCH!  And Army-wide pinning for perils, making going "for sure" casts dangerous as you take army-wide pinning checks, it feels like a good balance overall since the access to casting and the LA;1k sons buffs balance out a bit.

We can give our Terminators, Veterans, and Independents, Warp Charge, and many of these units have Access to Asphyx shells for Shredding boltguns, I have a feeling that those will see extensive use making our elite infantry very good at shredding a plethora of Toughness based targets. Level 3 Praetors, and all the characters having free "ignore first perils" for a pittance per character. And the obvious uses of a Vet-Sniper squad with Asphex bolts is pathetically obvious to anyone that plays 30k and will be a go-to option in a lot of lists.

The Super-Scouts seem decent for their points cost if you toss a few charge dice at their unique ability, might actually make a unit of snipers viable in 40k/30k, where most aren't but they are pricey so balances out, 2+ to hit 4+ to wound, rending on 6's, and re-rolling failed rolls....May actually work. Use with Amon for mind-numbingly difficult unit to get rid of, added bonus; its a fast slot.

The Blade-Squad seem ever so slightly overcosted (par the course for 30k so no biggy!) and then you realize 3+ with no invul, and you *MUST* purchase them an Assault Vehicle, as well as them having huge bonuses for more then 4 figures, you want the squad at least at 9 if not 10. jacking up the cost a fair bit. These will absolutely *shred* anything that is not in terminator armor, oh and about those buried "legion apothecaries".... "FNP? whats that??" ;-)

The Archaen-castellax (I believe is the name) seem fantastic honestly for the points cost, Easy to use in any army with multiple psykers, hit hard, good shooting with lots of bolt weapons with shred, for only a tiny bit more then regular castellax (If I recall correctly) for the built in 5++ invul and we don't waste a HQ slot just to gain a cortex controller as any psyker can work them.  That and being a Warmachine-style "arc node" for any Witchfire nearby........Its a neat trick for firing around corners/buildings, and obviously intended for something like Zone Mortalis.

Sehkmet are......wow.....kinda insane, but no more so then Firedrakes, or any Two Wound terminators. They lack gun options, but as of RAW at this moment are allowed to "PICK" their spells from Pyro/Telekine, making those lores good instead of mostly wasted rolls. They feel points effective in a game where very little is "truly" points effective, probably why they feel so strong. 

It doenst feel overpowered, but it doesn't feel weak either. I think its a nice balance.

Hey all, just had a chat with Rob Macfarlane about Space Wolf models that he's designed. I think this will make a lot of people very happy.

Grey Slayers are done, and are not just one kit. They are several different upgrade kits to cover all the weapon options, 10 heads a kit, an artificer armour sergeant, 20 shoulder pads, and then the weapon options. I'm not clear on there being different heads in each kit, but I expect it's the same base with different weapon options being what makes each set unique. Still, awesome!

Varagyr are half-finished, torsos & heads and pads done. Rob really wants to do running legs as well to emphasize their aggressive nature, with knotwork on the knees and carefully draped pelts that flow with the armour, but that's undecided as of now.

They've also planned out but not started on the models for Priests of Fenris, but there will definitely be models for Speakers of the Dead & Casters of Runes.

Only thing that hasn't been worked out so much is Deathsworn, and they should still arrive this year. 

Honestly when it comes to the power creep I am not really seeing it, Subtract Magnus and Russ from the equation, I think both of those have rules that are easy to abuse if not hampered through ITC style rulings.....

As for the armies themselves; the wolves feel about right, strong, relatively fast, hit hard in melee, and have some unique options for organization. Counter attack after you win a combat, and +1 WS when charging feels good, the frost weapons all seem good and reasonably costed, and the units I have read feel good without feeling overpowered at first glance; Perhaps I am wrong as I didn't go over them with a fine-tooth comb the way I did the 1k sons rules, but they feel fine to me as far as initial impressions go.

Now for the sons; The sons seem....,pretty good overall (Excluding abuse of Magnus), they seem like tiny bonuses overall to allow certain army builds to benefit so your list will be more specialized.......*but* certain things will always be a thing....

Generally there is NO reason not to make a Heavy Support or Volkite Charger/rotor cannon team Corvidae, its free re-rolls. And for any terminator in the list "Raptora" is really *the* only option for obvious reasons regarding terminators, the same goes for any unit with an innate invulnerable save.....Raptora is going to be a thing ALOT, as the Pavoni and the Athenans are almost useless on the table In crunch (I have a feeling this is to balance out Biomancy and Telepathy being Go-To Psychic lores) As the Pyrae, Corvidae, and Raptora all have very good and practical uses on the table I struggle to see Pavoni or Athenaens getting extensive table time.

the Negatives of the army feel painful; if you kill all the characters a PERMANENT -1 LD? OUCH! And Army-wide pinning for perils, making going "for sure" casts dangerous as you take army-wide pinning checks, it feels like a good balance overall since the access to casting and the LA;1k sons buffs balance out a bit.

We can give our Terminators, Veterans, and Independents, Warp Charge, and many of these units have Access to Asphyx shells for Shredding boltguns, I have a feeling that those will see extensive use making our elite infantry very good at shredding a plethora of Toughness based targets. Level 3 Praetors, and all the characters having free "ignore first perils" for a pittance per character. And the obvious uses of a Vet-Sniper squad with Asphex bolts is pathetically obvious to anyone that plays 30k and will be a go-to option in a lot of lists.

The Super-Scouts seem decent for their points cost if you toss a few charge dice at their unique ability, might actually make a unit of snipers viable in 40k/30k, where most aren't but they are pricey so balances out, 2+ to hit 4+ to wound, rending on 6's, and re-rolling failed rolls....May actually work. Use with Amon for mind-numbingly difficult unit to get rid of, added bonus; its a fast slot.

The Blade-Squad seem ever so slightly overcosted (par the course for 30k so no biggy!) and then you realize 3+ with no invul, and you *MUST* purchase them an Assault Vehicle, as well as them having huge bonuses for more then 4 figures, you want the squad at least at 9 if not 10. jacking up the cost a fair bit. These will absolutely *shred* anything that is not in terminator armor, oh and about those buried "legion apothecaries".... "FNP? whats that??" ;-)

The Archaen-castellax (I believe is the name) seem fantastic honestly for the points cost, Easy to use in any army with multiple psykers, hit hard, good shooting with lots of bolt weapons with shred, for only a tiny bit more then regular castellax (If I recall correctly) for the built in 5++ invul and we don't waste a HQ slot just to gain a cortex controller as any psyker can work them. That and being a Warmachine-style "arc node" for any Witchfire nearby........Its a neat trick for firing around corners/buildings, and obviously intended for something like Zone Mortalis.

Sehkmet are......wow.....kinda insane, but no more so then Firedrakes, or any Two Wound terminators. They lack gun options, but as of RAW at this moment are allowed to "PICK" their spells from Pyro/Telekine, making those lores good instead of mostly wasted rolls. They feel points effective in a game where very little is "truly" points effective, probably why they feel so strong.

It doenst feel overpowered, but it doesn't feel weak either. I think its a nice balance.

Worth pointing out though. Space Wolves have counter attack by default. They don't need to win an assault to gain it (Have the page in front of me here). Which I feel is a bit excessive (in my opinion).

Maguns is so broken that I might have a chance against eldar

If I pick the 2nd TS rite of war what prevents me from picking a typhon with Magnus,  uber broken!

My local group has ruled that Magnus' -1 hit aura doesn't apply when invisibility is cast on him and his unit. He's still insanely powerful even with that tiny "nerf".

Can't wait to see the Russ vs his brothers mathammer.

Maguns is so broken that I might have a chance against eldar

If I pick the 2nd TS rite of war what prevents me from picking a typhon with Magnus,  uber broken!

You want people to play against? lol

Well when you're against tau with only giant robots and drones shooting twice or eldar D spams (event he flyers shoot that!) you gotta do something!

Against HH armies I'd never take the above but in 40k you just have to keep up with the arms race...

There is no cost justification for something that cannot be killed without the express presence of SoS.

The whole idea of Magnus and his sorcerous sons is that they're almost untouchable without anti-psyker support

With anti-psyker support, they're highly vulnerable.

There is no cost justification for something that cannot be killed without the express presence of SoS.

The whole idea of Magnus and his sorcerous sons is that they're almost untouchable without anti-psyker support

That is a horrible design philosophy for a model game.

What's in Angelus?

What's in the book:

1) blood angels legion

2) dark angels legion

3) daemons

4) dark Mechanicum

5) night lords

DARK MECHANICUM SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEE YAHHHHH

This!

Good thing FW takes so long on these books! I am currently pretty hyped for Ksons - with a book that has Dark Mechanicum, Daemons And NightLords...would probably screw over my painting schedule ad Infinitum if it was released some months from now.

That is a horrible design philosophy for a model game.

Depends on your approach to the game.

If like me you think competitive balance is a joke in the 40K rule set, it's a non-issue.

I would not expect anyone in my group to play him in a deathstar.

Archived