+++ Talon's Reach - An Armory Building Event +++

Race Bannon

You noticed that too, eh?  :wub.:

Now I *have* to build a Sraven and Sternguard squad sooner than later :laugh.:

:wacko.:

I thought you might like that :)  Progress has been made slowly on the SRaven, though I've hung my brush up for tonight.

I'd love to see an R.A.G. in your scheme, after looking through what else you've been up to.  I am going to redo my Sternguard when I get the models, though.  Needs more melta (but that's OT for this lol)

Typhoon launchers are the indeed the favourite option at the minute

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww227/MinkGoblin/IMG_0077_zpstxjjy7xr.jpg

Initially I'd kept it simple (flare launchers + razorback plate) but the flare launchers are a bit small and the rhino plate a bit flat

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww227/MinkGoblin/IMG_0074_zpspxfrkgv9.jpg

The stormtalon missile pods have great potential though,as they have the same angle as the hull, so could detach from the flanks like the Cheyenne. i'll investigate further and report!

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww227/MinkGoblin/IMG_0075_zpshz8rvkct.jpg

Go with the 3rd one. The missile pods actually look like they belong on the hull like that.

Although I like the Stormtalon missile pods as well, the Typhoon launchers get to the Aliens dropshop look better.  If those are selected, then I'm curious where the middle "spine" piece comes from.  Is that in the Blackstar kit?

Although I like the Stormtalon missile pods as well, the Typhoon launchers get to the Aliens dropshop look better.  If those are selected, then I'm curious where the middle "spine" piece comes from.  Is that in the Blackstar kit?

Is it maybe the fuselage piece from the Valkyries that extends back from the cockpit, down the center?

The top bit is the 'top' of the troop compartment on a Stormfang - it is uncannily well suited for covering the =I= bit on the roof, basically just saw in 2  grooves parallel to the 'I' of the '=I=' on the roof and slot in, without much changes, as the curvature and slope fits the Blackstars own curvature/slope. I'll post pics when I get there.

It's not quite suited for the 'flipover' missile pod deployment of the Cheyenne, though, so the jury's still out on using it, or not.

I'm looking at an hybrid of both pods atm: Stormtalon pod casings that sit in the hull where currently the '=' of the '=I=' are, that 'pop open' to reveal the typhoon pods in deployed position, pretty much where they are in the first pic. Heavy cutting involved, so taking time to think it through, but should be able to post pics at the end of the week end.

It looks brilliant Shrieker, nice bit of work.

My Stormraven has arrived (by which I mean I managed to sneak it into the house without Mrs Bindoff noticing I'd bought it) so I can start getting on with the last part of my vow tonight. Question: I'm planning on loading for anti armour with MM and AC, and probably dropping the hurricane bolters. Does anyone think this is a colossal error and I should attach at all costs?

NB I'm not into magnets. The presence of my Whiteshields squad running around means magnetised bits tend to get lost

Stormraven loadout is tricky in my book because the model is big enough (physically) to get a lot of attention. If you are going AT, then drop the Hurricane Bolters, in my opinion. Especially if magnets are not a part of the plan.

As promised, Race Bannon, circa 1993-ish paint job:
gallery_6494_582_213089.jpg

Here's the story: I spend a night painting this guy and bring him to the store to show off. A friend looks at him and syas something like, "Man, he looks like Race Bannon." Although a fan of Johnny Quest, that was slightly deflating, and it stuck for years. The kind of stick that when playing with him everyone didn't call the model a "Captain", but as Race Bannon. So, when I joined the B+C, it was easy to pick my board name.

He got a big bath recently. I have the newer Web Exclusive version but that in way Way WAY down the project list.

I seriously think (just for fun and laughs and to build board camaraderie) that the next challenge, whatever it is should include an Army appropriate "Race Bannon" figure for everyone's army and should get a official - 

"40k Special Agent"

award for their efforts( this is after all your Forum Race, and it will be fun "and productive" to easily add a white haired member to everyone's army :happy.:

I will probably make one up anyway when we do our next Vow challenge(in April or May?)...

Cheers, Mithril

Haha, you guys :blush.:  How could anyone say no to these ideas :wub:

I'm possibly three hobby days away from finishing my vow.  The trick will be the brass plate I put on the front of the Rhino hull: the detail does not jive with my expectation to do it quick, but I think the result will be worth the effort.  I'm also lining up my next project - Lucius Drop Pod!  That should not take long at all. :unsure.:

Progress on the vow - maybe just over halfway.  My painting isn't amazing but I'm happy with it.  

IMG 2982

The group so far - two finished drop pods and my assembled stormraven.  The inside is finished, as are the two turrest

IMG 2981

And the techmarine - I love this cockpit.  It's a shame there isn't as much glass as on the stormtalon, so you can't really see it.  

IMG 2980

I thought the servitor seemed a bit.... odd as a choice for marines, as I think of them being BS3 so I thought I'd try cramming a marine in there.  Just about fits, if we assume he's stowed his PAULDRONS somewhere.  

Archived