Order of the Sanguine Shroud

micahwc

My starting force is as follows:

Vestal Task Force - "Vindicta"

Required HQ

• Ministorum Priest, Litanies of Faith, Evicerator

Required Troop 1

• Battle Sister Squad "Etruria Iustus", 5 battle sisters, flamer, heavy flamer, Immolator with Multi-Melta

Required Troop 2

• Battle Sister Squad "Iustus Indignato", 5 battle sisters, flamer, heavy flamer, Immolator with Multi-Melta

Required Elite

• Death Cult Assassin squad, "Silentium". 5 Death Cult Assassins, Immolator with Multi-Melta

Optional HQ 2

• Ministorum Priest, Evicerator

Optional Troop 3

• Battle Sister Squad "Iustus Damnationem". 5 Battle Sisters, flamer, heavy flamer, Immolator with Multi-Melta

Optional Elite 2

• Death Cult Assassin squad, "Caedius", 5 Death Cult Assassins, Immolator with Multi-Melta

Optional Heavy Support 1-3

• Exorcist "Telum", storm bolter
  • Exorcist "Ballistarium", storm bolter
  • Exorcist "Tormentum", storm bolter

Waiting on some flamers, heavy flamers, and heads to finish the troops. I have the death cult assassins assembled. I still need to make some ministorum priests, and will need to wait a while to buy rhinos in order to convert them into Immolators and Exorcists. Rhino chassis and tracks are about $20 on Ebay and I'll need at least 8 of them for this Vestal Task Force. All of the above is a hair under 1200 points, so I think it's a good starting point to aim for.

Plan is to have the priests ride with the assassins in the Immolators. I think the evicerators will combine nicely with the DCAs, giving the squad some heavy hitting power. DCA will eat MEQs, Immolators go for tanks, sisters do whatever they need to do.

The rest of my points will go towards an Inquisition acolyte force, which will have access to a lot of plasma.

Thanks,

I modified the Wyche heads and glued them on. You are right. I think I'll sculpt some hoods over the faces like the art for the DCA shows, and add some tabbards to all of them. I may cut some of the spikes off as well. If they were only going with my Inquisitor I'd just say the inquisitor acquired their services somehow, but since I plan on using them with sisters I should probably make it look less like heresy.

Edit: I spent a couple hours last night sculpting on the wyches. The are all wearing a kind of half cloak with a hood. The hoods cover the pointy heretical ears. The cloak goes down the back about half way, and down the one unarmored arm. I figured hooded cloaks are kind of a classic staple for assassins. I also cut off the shoulder spikes and trimmed the spikes on the legs on some models. I'm pretty happy with them right now, except for one that will need a bit more work tonight. I tried sculpting a hood over his hair bun and it just looks like he has a ginormous head. Unfortunately the phone was dead so I don't have any pictures right now.

I received an order of Instant Mold yesterday so I tried molding a shoulder pad I had sculpted. Unfortunately it did not turn out well.

Finally, the fleur de lis punch I ordered also arrived. It's a little bigger than I hoped, but all the sister's have a fleur de lis on the backpack now, covering the blood angels iconography.

Just ordered the rest of the bits I need to finish my three squads of battle sisters. Ordered 6 Cadian flamers and some bases. To distinguish between regular and heavy flamers I am thinking of running the regular flamers without the fuel hose and fuel tank, and using the included fuel tanks for the heavy flamers. Would anyone have a problem with this to distinguish the two kinds of flamers?

Three squads of sisters, each with a flamer and a heavy flamer. Trying to decide if upgrading the sister superior to a Veteran is worth it for the points. I think the extra chance of getting an act of faith is probably worth 10 points as long as you can make use of the act of faith. Also thinking about giving the sister superior a combi-melta. I'll have a lot of melta in the immolators, but you never know if it will come in handy. I'm not worried about plasma as my acolytes will have a lot of it.

I went ahead and used the marine arms. They are a little large, but it wasn't going to be cost effective to swap them for anything that will look right. I think my favorite are the arms from the Tempestus Scions, but they are pretty expensive as bits. The arms from my Mantic enforcers look about perfect, but I only have three sets that are not already attached to a body.

I got an email from Statuesque informing me my order of heads shipped, so they will be here in two weeks or so.

Yeah, I'll have to order some though. The town I live in has one place that sells greenstuff and it's really overpriced. Miliput can be bought at hobby lobby with a 40% off coupon.

I think I'll end up replacing these priests with some non-GW miniatures. I'll chalk it up to sculpting practice. I will say that working on them has helped my sculpting abilities develop a bit. I've learned a bit about the properties of miliput and how it works as it sets up over time. I've learned a bit about shaping it after it dries. I've found some tools that work better than others. (My favorite it a metal nail file that I snapped the tip off of. It works really well for filing miliput slowly, and it also works well for scoring straight lines in it)

I've got my sisters all assembled and I'm pretty happy with them. Just waiting on heads to arrive so I can start painting them.

I started painting my assassins. I tried brushing my off white color onto their robes and wasn't particularly happy with how they turned out. That paint did well out of my air brush when I thinned it a lot, but with a brush it just doesn't seem to cover very well and it also seems really grainy- even when thinned.

I'm starting to get a decent collection of Vallejo paint, and I'm generally happy with them. I have to say though that I am not happy with their skin tones. I bought four skin tones that are supposed to compliment each other. One of them is like a Donald Trump orange, and another is a bright yellow. I don't really see how they could be used for skin tones unless you are painting a model with jaundice, or a model that's radioactive. I have however had really great experiences with their metallics and other paints.

I'm really out of practice painting. I used to be halfway decent at it, but that was when I was painting a new Malifaux box set every other week.

I'm a VERY firm proponent of Running Before You Can Walk projects with sculpting! Choose something big and just throw yourself at it, and you'll learn so much you didn't know you didn't know. Obviously, little, achievable projects are vital too, for keeping up moral, and not outright wasting sculpting material, but you just don't learn as much. It sounds like you're well on your way! Looking forward to seeing more :D

I'm a VERY firm proponent of Running Before You Can Walk projects with sculpting! Choose something big and just throw yourself at it, and you'll learn so much you didn't know you didn't know. Obviously, little, achievable projects are vital too, for keeping up moral, and not outright wasting sculpting material, but you just don't learn as much. It sounds like you're well on your way! Looking forward to seeing more :D

I agree. There's a lot of times where you look back, and are like "wow" I did that? As well as a large amount of well, at least I leaned how not to do that?

But in the end, you end up learning quicker the more you throw yourself into it.

Spent a few hours working on some fleur de lis out of milliput. I printed out a small one I found on Wikipedia, cut it out with a craft knife, traced it onto a circle of semi-dried milliput, and then cut and carved for a bit. These will go on the whirlwinds I have on order.

I also spent some time working on coming up with a Astra Militarum Veteran for some Armageddon Steel Legion.

http://imgur.com/XPGYACK

http://imgur.com/3SYjWxD

I think these will look alright once they are painted. These will be going on my exorcists. I've discovered that it's easier to carve than to sculpt, at least for me.

Originally I used a craft knife and a file. I then switched to an Opinel #9 which was much easier to control and which worked better for scraping than the craft knife. It's also almost as sharp as a new craft knife blade, while being a lot easier to control.

http://imgur.com/9IzeFVV

On a serious note, if you need a good pocket knife look into Opinel. This was $16 with overnight shipping. Most people recommend the #8. My first was a #8, this is a #9. It's about as large as I would want to go for something you carry in your pocket. The number corresponds to blade length in centimeters.

The fleurs-de-lis look rough, like something literally chiseled out of stone. This impression can work with a sufficiently good backstory, e.g., the fleurs-de-lis once decorated a shrine or temple that was destroyed in an enemy attack, were salvaged from the temple ruins and then mounted on the Exorcists to make the tanks bearers of holy relics, encouraging the Sisters to fight harder and exact vengeance for the desecration of the temple.

Just discovered clay tearing, I'm thinking I'll try that to see how it works. Basically you print a design on glossy paper using toner, rub it on a flat sheet of clay, heat it up a bit, rub some more, and remove the paper. It will tear the clay where the toner was. You then bake the paper and the remaining clay and end up with two clay stamps of your design, one positive and one negative.

I've got all the tools for it already except for the glossy copy paper. I even have an old printer at work like is recommended for this.

I ordered three rhino sprues and three sets of multi melta from Leman Russ side sponsons. Time to kit bash some immolators.

My heads arrived yesterday. They look great and I think they will look really good on my sisters, unfortunately I ran out of super glue so I can't get them on yet.

Won a bid on eBay for an unpainted vindicare assassin. It's an older metal model but it's new old stock. $10 shipped.

So as of right now I have (or have ordered) three 5 lady squads of battle sisters, 10 death cult assassins, 3 immolators, 2 exorcists, and a vindicare assassin to make a force with.

Here is a close up. I still need to clean these up a bit before finishing the paint.

http://m.imgur.com/account/micahwc/images/KbIaE2E

Archived