Gathering Storm

G_R_H

So I've been away from 40k fiction for a while(pariah, talon of horus), due mainly to the Horus Heresy series, but where do we stand with this gathering storm lore? Are they going to novelise it or what?

I mean these are big stories, just to know what RG's thoughts on the imperium now and what he's going to do, and then there's cypher and the Fallen... what's going on with those fellas?

There are some novels coming out that are 'current' 40k, like Carrion Throne, that may (but IMO very low likelihood) touch on current events but as far as I'm aware all the fluff for Gathering Storm has been contained to those sourcebooks. Might be something coming down the pipeline though, although none of the upcoming releases BL has listed up through May seem to expand on Gathering Storm specifically. Given the rumors of 8th edition dropping sometime in summer, I think it would be a safe bet to say that novels addressing what's going on in current 40k specifically will be released either late this year or next year. 

Of course, if someone has more information they can correct me, by all means.

Since Curse of the Wulfen / Legacy of Russ, they really haven't done much in the way of direct tie-ins. Even Wrath of Magnus didn't get an adaptation, even though it was originally planned to get one.

BL is back in charge of their own department, so they'll probably try to release stuff authors find compelling to write about again instead of clogging the pipeline for the foreseeable future. Either way, I'm not opposed to waiting for tie-in novels. After all, when the campaign books and their ramifications are clear, the authors might be better equipped to deal with the novelization of events, and include proper foreshadowing of things to come, and build neat character arcs that don't get abandoned halfway through.

This thread was the first I had heard of the Gathering Storm, so I decided to investigate.

...what? This is batcensored.gif. My mind is actually blown!!

Can anyone summarise the events so far for me please? I don't play tabletop so can't really justify buying the books.

Cadia's gone, Eldar teaming up with Imperials, Guilliman's back. And Celestine shanked Abaddon.

Is the Abaddon thing confirmed? Thought this was still rumour?

It was inevitable the Primarchs would start to return starting with the Daemon Princes. People saying this is the End Times equivalent for 40k miss the point that technically it has always been the end times with the whole 2 minutes to midnight. It is now 1 minute to midnight! It was always hinted that the Primarchs might return so I am going to call it...

Cypher will turn out to be a goody all along and enable The Lion to be released from The Rock who will be very angry.

Russ will return because it is Wolftime...and to find out where his 13th company boys went! He will be very very angry!

The Khan will finally find his way out of The Webway and will be pretty damn angry!

Corax will stop sulking and decide what he really means when he says "nevermore" and join his bros in being very angry!

And Vulkan will escape from The Green and tell everyone to calm down and take stock before being rash!

Cadia's gone, Eldar teaming up with Imperials, Guilliman's back. And Celestine shanked Abaddon.

Is the Abaddon thing confirmed? Thought this was still rumour?

It was inevitable the Primarchs would start to return starting with the Daemon Princes. People saying this is the End Times equivalent for 40k miss the point that technically it has always been the end times with the whole 2 minutes to midnight. It is now 1 minute to midnight! It was always hinted that the Primarchs might return so I am going to call it...

Cypher will turn out to be a goody all along and enable The Lion to be released from The Rock who will be very angry.

Russ will return because it is Wolftime...and to find out where his 13th company boys went! He will be very very angry!

The Khan will finally find his way out of The Webway and will be pretty damn angry!

Corax will stop sulking and decide what he really means when he says "nevermore" and join his bros in being very angry!

And Vulkan will escape from The Green and tell everyone to calm down and take stock before being rash!

holy moley tamole.

so how does the flow of this affect BL's output? do they usually cover tabletop/WD stuff in novelised form?

Though it is rumored that RG might kill Abbi.

Don't believe that as it would end the arc of THE traitor immediately. Or he might return as THE incarnation of Chaos Undivided...

Whatever the case: weird stuff is about to come. ^^

Celestine vs Abbi & Cadia's gone = Gathering Storm I: Fall of Cadia

Eldar teaming up with Imperials & the rise of Ynnead, the avatar of death at the cost of Biel-Tan = Gathering Storm II: Fracture of Biel-Tan

Guilimans return = Gathering Storm III: Rise of the Primarch

Available on checking in the N&R subforum.

With Cypher we have a few interesting possibilities.

Either he is actually one of the Calibanite Fallen, and either has nefarious plans or, as has long been hinted, an agenda for redemption, OR he is Holguin, who we've seen in Angels of Caliban and got entrusted with the broken Lion's Blade then and there, after Guilliman broke it. The latter would mean he was a loyalist all along and just got scattered when Caliban broke apart.

If it is Holguin, Guilliman himself would know him. It would explain why he might be able to trust him somewhat. But it would also remove a bit of the redemption flair Cypher always had.

I called it in the Rise of the Primarch thread.

Cypher stands before the gathered Inner Circle of the entire Legion of the Unforgiven, revealing something of great importance which will result in the fracturing of the DA Legion.

Those, who are not familiar with the history of the DAs and their secrets, will paint their armor black again, join Cypher and fight at the side of RG. Maybe Azrael will join them as well as I can imagine him to be more straightforward than bound to secrets.

Those, who are members of the Inner Circle, will break with their brothers, believing Cyphers revelations being heresy. Either they will unwillingly follow in the footsteps of true traitor Fallen or become a renegade, zealous faction. Possibly lead by Asmodai.

During this, Johnson awakes, sees the ruins of his once proud Legion and before he can make a decision or say something, the story will end with a cliffhanger per excellence.

Though it is rumored that RG might kill Abbi.

Don't believe that as it would end the arc of THE traitor immediately. Or he might return as THE incarnation of Chaos Undivided...

Whatever the case: weird stuff is about to come. ^^

The Abaddon thing I heard was that Cypher is going to shoot him in the face, though I have no idea how valid that rumour is.

Well, I guess the grim darkness of the far future has been largely forgotten. I will spare you all a protracted statement about why I find this all rather silly, and instead say only this:

You can't heal in stasis. You can't do anything in stasis. So, Ima pretend that whatever apothecary assessed Guliiman's wounds after the fight with Fulgrim made a horrible mistake, and that it wasn't life threatening at all. He didn't heal because he wasn't even that hurt. Mostly because that would be hilarious.

Two theories

Either Celestine heals him by sacrificing herself

Or

Omegon kilked RG whike everyone was thinking that Alpgarius got killed and took RGs place

Well, I guess the grim darkness of the far future has been largely forgotten. I will spare you all a protracted statement about why I find this all rather silly, and instead say only this:

You can't heal in stasis. You can't do anything in stasis. So, Ima pretend that whatever apothecary assessed Guliiman's wounds after the fight with Fulgrim made a horrible mistake, and that it wasn't life threatening at all. He didn't heal because he wasn't even that hurt. Mostly because that would be hilarious.

Ah, but, Angel Exterminatus already showed otherwise...via the Heart of Iron.

Guilliman's miracle healing in stasis has been a point in almost every Codex that mentioned him. They never stated it as absolute truth, but it has been a long time coming. Horus Heresy developments like the Heart of Iron made the thing more likely to happen.

And I don't think this will be retconned. Unlike the Eye of Terror campaign, they're going all in here and have stated numerous times that this year especially will be seeing plot progression with a bunch of campaigns. Shield of Baal is going to factor into things some more it seems, as the aftermath of that is still ongoing, and War Zone Fenris leads directly into this.

I'm just wondering if, possibly, a large part of the Ultramarines is still stuck at the Damocles Gulf at the time of the upcoming invasion of Ultramar.

GW is trying to move away from a static setting and adopt aspects that make the competition's games cool. Privateer Press does the unit cards and campaign stuff, it works there, and AoS was the trial run for it. 40k Campaign sets have done pretty damn well, and funnily enough people always complain about the limited changes to the status quo or character deaths. This is just giving fans the step-wise progression they wanted.

Archived