Gathering Storm

G_R_H

Maybe I have the wrong end of the stick for the vast portion of the consumers. Which bits do most people (who aren't me) actually enjoy? Where's everyone getting their kicks?

Am I out of touch? No, it is the children who are wrong.

Honestly, while the entire thing felt rushed as all hell, I did like some thematic complexity that was brought in by the third book. And by that I mean slight break from the usual "Grimdark" theme.

Which, frankly, is something I needed to reignite my interest in the setting after Master of Mankind. So there is that? It is a flawed work, but interesting stuff can be done with it.

Maybe I have the wrong end of the stick for the vast portion of the consumers. Which bits do most people (who aren't me) actually enjoy? Where's everyone getting their kicks?

Honestly, while the entire thing felt rushed as all hell, I did like some thematic complexity that was brought in by the third book. And by that I mean slight break from the usual "Grimdark" theme.

Which, frankly, is something I needed to reignite my interest in the setting after Master of Mankind. So there is that? It is a flawed work, but interesting stuff can be done with it.

Definitely it could be done much better. And definitely it is a good 'events' range in general. If they would improve 'presentation' and 'writing' it could be AWESOME.

Maybe that 'childishness' of writing depends on the wriiting team, which seems to cheerful for the setting :)

Everyone likes cheerful. Just not HeritorA. He is not cheerful. :(

You have been told of the Inquisition; that shadowy organisation which defends Mankind and the Emperor from the perils of heresy, possession, alien dominance and rebellion.

You have been told the Inquisition are the ultimate defence against the phantoms of fear and terror which lurk in the darkness between the stars.

You have been told the Inquisition are the bright saviours in an eclipse of evil; purest and most devoted warriors of the Emperor.

You have been told the Inquisition is united in its cause to rid the galaxy of any threat, from without or within.

Everything you have been told is a lie!

=][=

Not quite everyone. ;)

Definitely it could be done much better. And definitely it is a good 'events' range in general. If they would improve 'presentation' and 'writing' it could be AWESOME.

Maybe that 'childishness' of writing depends on the wriiting team, which seems to cheerful for the setting smile.png

Yeah, the format needs work. I do feel that they probably rushed it to make preparations for the 8th edition, which will probably shake things up even more so.

And frankly? I think the setting benefits from a bit of hope and Imperium actually making a decent showing for once. There is value in variety. Both monetary (Because GW wants to sell those Imperial models and, shocking no-one, people like to see the side they root for win every once in a while), and thematic, because there is nothing better to make shadows and darkness appear greater than to bring in a bit of light.

Especially the latter is something I quite appreciate, because I felt that both GW and BL pushed Grimdarkness excessively lately, to the detriment of every other theme, complexity, depth and even common sense. 40k started as a parody, but it is no longer one. We need more thematic variety if we are to treat stories that are written with even a degree of seriousness.

'We need more thematic variety if we are to treat stories that are written with even a degree of seriousness.' - absolutely and totally agree!

Even through they had a lot of darkness 'lately' - it is always with the seeds of hope (just look at almost every A D-B book - even then you kill someone major and all went to epic ... there is  always 'help', bright shining light in the tunnel for someone else).

Fall of Cadia - then all is lost > boom The Saint Arrive, boom IF arrive, boom necrons for the help (by the way - old necrons who weren't talking or creating alliances with SM were much more scarier then the new talking, collecting ones) etc. etc.

I could talk lots about Necrons and why they're better as Newcrons, but this is a Gathering Storm thread so I'll put that aside for now.

So I've heard from somewhere that BL is being given more freedom to write the books they want, not just tie-ins to everything GW comes out with. That true? And if so, will that affect the chances of getting novels about these new characters? I can't say I'm against stuff like the Charcarodon novel, or the SoB book coming out soon (I miss you, Miriya) but will there be a price to pay?

Yes, they are now going back to writing more of what they pitch vs. just tie in.

As to the 'we need more hope' you all can speak for yourselves. I'll take my Grimdark and appreciate it as long as it lasts.

It's fairly safe to assume (in my humble opinion) that once the Authors have digested the events of TGS and whatever comes next that they will put together some wonderful novels for us to enjoy. (Especially the few excellent authors that there are currently)

I'm most happy about this as it will get their creative juices flowing (within reason and approved by the BL overlords)

It's fairly safe to assume (in my humble opinion) that once the Authors have digested the events of TGS and whatever comes next that they will put together some wonderful novels for us to enjoy. (Especially the few excellent authors that there are currently)

I'm most happy about this as it will get their creative juices flowing (within reason and approved by the BL overlords)

Give me Wraight, French and Bowden please.

I'll take just about anyone myself. I'm a little tired of pre-judging authors by now. I've seen enough hate and bile poured on people by the Internet's teeming masses that now I'll buy something specifically Because people say they're a bad author, just to get my own opinion of them. It's not that surprising either, when I find out that most of their complaints are overblown exaggerations.

I'll take just about anyone myself. I'm a little tired of pre-judging authors by now. I've seen enough hate and bile poured on people by the Internet's teeming masses that now I'll buy something specifically Because people say they're a bad author, just to get my own opinion of them. It's not that surprising either, when I find out that most of their complaints are overblown exaggerations.

In general you are right, but If I would have a choice between Wraight, Fehervari, French, Bowden and Kyme, Thorpe, Guymer, Haley - just guess whom will I chose teehee.gif

Still gathering storm is pretty weak sauce.

But hot as a chili pepper to the young minds, whose mind is too small for doubt msn-wink.gif

In general you are right, but If I would have a choice between Wraight, Fehervari, French, Bowden and Kyme, Thorpe, Guymer, Haley - just guess whom will I chose teehee.gif

Probably different ones from who I'd pick. As would be the case for most people here. There are no universal standards here.

Hold on to your tinfoil hats, for Xisor speculates:

"Roboute" *is* the Emperor. proto-Thorians (not Isstvanians as I originally typed, though there is indeed some overlap!) have been at work for ten thousand years seeking the Emperor's return - Guilliman reaching the Throne Room was enough to reawaken the Emperor within Guilliman - and to realise that the resurrection is botched and incomplete, but needs now must...

I'd definitely give Thorpe and Kyme's take a go, if they got one, especially given the former's previous work in game development. Kyme is also the only full time permanent writer at Black Library now that Laurie's left (I think that's how is role was described?) so he'd be well placed to see the developments as they happened.

Probably different ones from who I'd pick. As would be the case for most people here. There are no universal standards here.

Yes there are a universal standards - Kyme, Thorpe - bad for 80% of readers and Guymer/Haley - hit or miss (50/50)

"Roboute" *is* the Emperor. proto-Thorians (not Isstvanians as I originally typed, though there is indeed some overlap!) have been at work for ten thousand years seeking the Emperor's return - Guilliman reaching the Throne Room was enough to reawaken the Emperor within Guilliman - and to realise that the resurrection is botched and incomplete, but needs now must...

No, no, no - please simply dont

Guy Haley is always a hit to me. I love his xenos-perspective novels: he wrote Valedor and it's tie-ins, and the Ork trilogy of short stories. Also wrote one of the best Tau stories too. Now if only he'd tackle Necrons....

By the by, how would you all feel about stories including the Custodians and Silent Sisters? If the new state of affairs has them traveling again, that's something interesting to cover. Of course, I'm probably getting ahead of myself. The Horus Heresy is still going on, so we'll probably see plenty of them in the coming Siege.

Ugh, hurry up GW. Launch your next campaign with Orks and Necrons gearing up for the next millennium! Tau too!

I think your tin foil has torn

Guy Haley is always a hit to me. I love his xenos-perspective novels: he wrote Valedor and it's tie-ins, and the Ork trilogy of short stories. Also wrote one of the best Tau stories too. Now if only he'd tackle Necrons....

By the by, how would you all feel about stories including the Custodians and Silent Sisters? If the new state of affairs has them traveling again, that's something interesting to cover. Of course, I'm probably getting ahead of myself. The Horus Heresy is still going on, so we'll probably see plenty of them in the coming Siege.

Ugh, hurry up GW. Launch your next campaign with Orks and Necrons gearing up for the next millennium! Tau too!

which was the tau story he wrote? 

find the tau lack in much literature, even more so in worthwhile literature. 

Archived