8th Edition: Zeal Rising

d3m01iti0n

can anyone fill me in on the disengage part works? seems like consolidating into combat might be nice, but not if the opponant can just chose to walk off and shoot you next turn?

Unless the unit has a keyword like fly or a special rule they lose all actions in exchange for disengaging.

Hey all,

I've played my first game of 8th now using the FLGS books. I played against eldar which included a Wraithknight, bikes and elites in wave serpents.

I took:

- Helbrecht, with Chaplain, with choppy crusaders in LRC

- shooty crusaders in razorback x2

- storm talons x2

- storm raven with CC dreadnought

- TFC

Here are my humble observations:

1. Twin assault cannons are excellent and great value for points.

2. Lascannons are great but concentration of fire is important. I wasted a bit of shooting half-killing vehicles when I should have just shot at one thing and moved to the next.

3. Choppy squad was good on the charge, and character buffs helped a lot :)

4. I think I managed about 4 or 5 Bolter wounds on the wraithknight. I was pleasantly surprised.

Hey all,

I've played my first game of 8th now using the FLGS books. I played against eldar which included a Wraithknight, bikes and elites in wave serpents.

I took:

- Helbrecht, with Chaplain, with choppy crusaders in LRC

- shooty crusaders in razorback x2

- storm talons x2

- storm raven with CC dreadnought

- TFC

Here are my humble observations:

1. Twin assault cannons are excellent and great value for points.

2. Lascannons are great but concentration of fire is important. I wasted a bit of shooting half-killing vehicles when I should have just shot at one thing and moved to the next.

3. Choppy squad was good on the charge, and character buffs helped a lot smile.png

4. I think I managed about 4 or 5 Bolter wounds on the wraithknight. I was pleasantly surprised.

haha, a few minutes too late^^

Can you tell us more about the game?

Have you guys noticed the Rhino Primaris? Would make for a great companion to a LRC with CC Crusaders ;)

It's a 100pts Razorback with a Twin Plasma Gun for 20pts and an Orbital Array for 50pts

Orbital Array (once per battle): 72" Heavy D3 or D6 when targeting 10+ models, S10, AP-4, Dd6

The cool trick is the Servo-skull Hub: In each Shooting Phase choose between:

-Add 1 to hit rolls for a single unit within 12"

-A Vehicle within 12" regains one lost wound.

That's already in my list.

The Rhino Primaris is one of the Warhammer World exclusive tanks. Or was. Personally I feel like since they shared the rules they can share the love. tongue.png

Didn't know that, will run a proxy model.

Not taking range into consideration, MultiMelta or Lascannon?.

The root of my indecision:

-LasPredator it's 202pts = 4 shots (depending on sponsoon orientation) 

-A MultiMelta+MeltaGun 5 man squad in a TwinLas Razorback it's 224pts = 2 Melta + 2 Las shots

-A Lasgun 5 man squad in a TwinLas Razorback it's 205pts = 3 shots

-Or even a SoB Dominion (extra move after deployment and AoF) 4 Melta squad in a TwinMM Immolator it's 230pts = 6 shots

add a Priest for 35pts and you get 12 shots total not counting any Act of Faith lol

I'm not experienced enough to distinguish the 2 effectiveness vs enemy units, care for an example?

Looks like the predator wins overall. The others require exposing infantry at toughness 4.

Unless you need to separate the unit and spread fire across the field then probably the double melta w/ razorback.

I'm grinding my gears over a crusader squad with rhino versus a unit of assault marines.

Looks like the predator wins overall. The others require exposing infantry at toughness 4.

Unless you need to separate the unit and spread fire across the field then probably the double melta w/ razorback.

I'm grinding my gears over a crusader squad with rhino versus a unit of assault marines.

Been grinding my gears since joining this thread, can't decide.

Look at that Dominion squad, moves twice on first turn (including transport) can shoot 12 meltas and potentially 24 with AoF, plus SoF gives 6+ invul save and much needed protection against Psykers.

They seem like the perfect fluffy allies in this edition :)

SoF only lets Ssters deny on a single D6, so don't expect it to work on higher cost powers. That said, since flamers are the friend of running units Dominions can be terrifying as they run about with 5d6 flamer shots (combi plus four flamers).

SoF only lets Ssters deny on a single D6, so don't expect it to work on higher cost powers. That said, since flamers are the friend of running units Dominions can be terrifying as they run about with 5d6 flamer shots (combi plus four flamers).

Pretty much every unit gets that deny.

Add a Priest (A3) with a CombiFlamer and you get 13D6 shots lol, liking the idea.

I think you want more Lascannons than meltas for the range. After killing a target the melta squad would have to reposition, if they didn't get charged, rapid fired or whatever happens to people up close to the enemy :P On the other hand, that damage"reroll" is tasty if you got something that REALLY needs a proper purging. So i'd assume both. Maybe two Predators with Bolter sponsons, since we can split fire these days, to keep the cost down and add versatile fire support?

I've been toying around with the idea of running three five-man crusader squads with combi-plasmas and power swords on the sword brothers, plasmaguns, and power swords alongside Helbrecht in a LRC. The idea is to use them as one unit for a concentrated assault on part of the enemy's line. With the combined firepower of the LRC and six plasmaguns it can do some damage and then charge to mop up any surviving threats with a combined nine strength five power sword attacks. I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep everyone in Helbrecht's bubble but if it works it could prove devastating.

I've been toying around with the idea of running three five-man crusader squads with combi-plasmas and power swords on the sword brothers, plasmaguns, and power swords alongside Helbrecht in a LRC. The idea is to use them as one unit for a concentrated assault on part of the enemy's line. With the combined firepower of the LRC and six plasmaguns it can do some damage and then charge to mop up any surviving threats with a combined nine strength five power sword attacks. I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep everyone in Helbrecht's bubble but if it works it could prove devastating.

You can give a Plasma Pistol to the SB for 7pts ;)

I'm trying something similar tomorrow in my 2k point game. I'm probably fighting nids or genestealer cult. 

I'm taking 2 Crusader Squads, Helbrecht, Emp's Champ, in an LRC. Crusader squad loadouts are Melta, Combi Melta, Multi Melta on one of them, then Flamer, Combi Flamer, Power Sword on the other. Tried to go with a kinda fluffy approach yet something that would still have some punch. 

I'm also going to try out Company Veteran bikers, tactical terminators with a cyclone missile launcher (dear fething emprah that thing is expensive), and I'm trying out the what I like to call, the Vanguard Tactical Plasma Nuke. 5 Jump Pack Vanguard Vets, 9 plasma pistols, power axe on the sarge, Jump Pack Captain with a Grav pistol and a Power Axe. Is it weird? By Horus's balls it is. But it might just be weird enough to work. 

With the lower points cost of Pistols and Power Weapons, they sure work well together, but I really want the Power Weapon Initiate to work for my 14-man Crusader Squad instead of arming him with a Heavy Weapon... I think there's still a place for the massive Crusader mob with melee weapons, but it's more in line with the harassment squad, that extra squad in the back that will usually kill things that we normally tend to ignore... besides, in the points respect of things, they are rather cheap for the damage that they could do...

I'm still trying to figure out how to make the choppy Crusader squad in general work... as I'm not happy about snapping arms off of already sealed and painted miniatures...

Honestly 4 points is cheap enough to put a power weapon on an initiate imo even if he only has 1 attack. Just make sure to have a chaplain nearby to make sure that attack hits

Honestly 4 points is cheap enough to put a power weapon on an initiate imo even if he only has 1 attack. Just make sure to have a chaplain nearby to make sure that attack hits

This is correct the math does say you will be getting more out of one power sword attack vs 2 chainsword attacks vs MEQ.  Not by much but it is only a 4 point cost.  Power Axe is not a bad choice either as you can not manage T8 for only 1 point more than a power sword.  

I'm on vacation so I don't have time to do a power sword vs power axe comparison but I believe Axe most likely will win vs MEQ but only by a little.  

The best way to decide on which power weapon really depends on whether you're facing more T3 or T4+ guys. A maul is great for cleaving up Guardsmen and eldar. It can still deal with high toughness low save monsters, but isn't really ideal against marines. Power axes are the best for marines, and swords are a good inbetween for meq and geq mixed metas, denying armor saves and still wounding guardsmen on a 3+. It's kind of not as important with the new wounding chart, so long as you actually take power weapons.

I think if you are taking Helbrecht than swords are probably one of the better options. The difference between S5 and 6 isn't going to come into play too much on normal infantry 

Archived