8th Edition: Zeal Rising

d3m01iti0n

Sigismund (and his fate) are a bit off topic. You can find an old discussion about Sigismund's fate here.

There's also a wonderful vignette about Sigismund finally facing Abaddon in Talon of Horus in Abaddon's first black crusade. That vignette doesn't relay the outcome, which many are looking forward to in a future book, but it's easy to add 2 and 2 to get 4 when you consider which one of the two is still around millennia later.

It would probably be best to discuss Sigismund in another topic.

As for how Roboute Guilliman would react to the Black Templars, that would be interesting. The primarch of the Ultramarines, after all, was responsible for reorganizing the remaining legions into chapters. His brother, Rogal Dorn, consented. Guilliman might be ... concerned ... that the Black Templars don't follow the Codex Astartes chapter organization that their own primarch agreed to. The size of the Black Templars might be even more of an issue, assuming the Black Templars currently (after the end of the events to be covered, that is) exceed the nominal size of 1,000 battle-brothers. I could see Roboute Guilliman allowing some leeway in both regards, but there may be limits to what he would consider appropriate. Now what he would do is another matter entirely, and I won't bother speculating upon that.

Cypher's return to the fold, meanwhile, might be something of a non-issue for the Black Templars. Unless, that is, past incidents (i.e., the Ophidian Gulf) come into prominence somehow and treachery by an erstwhile ally is implicated.

sorry for the super blurry image, but the black Templar are on ultramar in book 3. This is from the the warhammer community page, top right corner where celestine is at, you can see the Marshal that led the BT on cadia.

GS3-4-500x313.jpg

I just find great pride in the fact that the least codex adherent cheper in existence is the one that secured guilliman's salvation...

If there isn't some insight into whatever RG thinks of them I'll be disappointed.

I expect something passive aggressive from Bobby G, like "You've made something of yourselves Black Templars despite Sigismund's disregard for my knowledge."

Personally Im not expecting anything in this book thats strictly for us, the Triumvirate and formations will most likely be for GK/SM and Fallen with each getting something, perhaps a combined Detachment like Castellans for non-BT Space Marines/GK/DW(dont leave them out!) and maybe a mix of DA/IG for Fallen.

Vows for the Emperor's Champion, thats all I want.

As for how Roboute Guilliman would react to the Black Templars, that would be interesting. The primarch of the Ultramarines, after all, was responsible for reorganizing the remaining legions into chapters. His brother, Rogal Dorn, consented. Guilliman might be ... concerned ... that the Black Templars don't follow the Codex Astartes chapter organization that their own primarch agreed to.

Well, yeah, Black Templars don't quite follow it, but one of the oldest known copies is a relic aboard the Eternal Crusader. So it's not like we spit on it when taking our oaths or something. That's nice for ott zealous banter on the forum/between gamers, but it is an established fact that the BT have some respect for the book even though they don't follow it all. In this time of ending, gathering storm or whatever, if RG has enough time to care about that, there's a problem with what we have been told.

The size of the Black Templars might be even more of an issue, assuming the Black Templars currently (after the end of the events to be covered, that is) exceed the nominal size of 1,000 battle-brothers.

Some inquisitor(s)/faction tried to look into that and failed to get any conclusive evidence. Unless we get to peace and RG orders a census of all marines, he'll probably be happy to take what he can get. And for now that's one crusade and I trust that marshal to know not to mention too big of a number for the chapter, if he even knows it is that big. It is said that only Helbrecht has the true number.

I could see Roboute Guilliman allowing some leeway in both regards, but there may be limits to what he would consider appropriate. Now what he would do is another matter entirely, and I won't bother speculating upon that.

Here we agree, except that I will speculate and say: I think he'll just be: "You got lots of marines? Alright, send them over there where there's a bunch of CSM/Demons." And after that it is possible that neither our size or organization will matter as we will be a tiny collection of surviving marines.

Cypher's return to the fold, meanwhile, might be something of a non-issue for the Black Templars. Unless, that is, past incidents (i.e., the Ophidian Gulf) come into prominence somehow and treachery by an erstwhile ally is implicated.

That would take quite some work. Unless the Fallen have infiltrated the DA to even know about this, it's likely never going to be mentioned (and if they indeed have infiltrated them, maybe it's a fallen who blew up the Ophidium Gulf! :P).

I am rather curious as to what the BTs would think of a bunch of surviving DAs from the heresy era though, especially after the inevitable awkward moment of current DAs finding out about them. That's one of the most interesting part as, apparently, the Fallen now have some pretty hefty backup and I'm looking forward to knowing why.

Thinking about it, what would be fun for me to see is RG doing an eye roll after noticing the BT belief in the emperor as a god and their veneration of a mortal. But knowing GW, it might be more likely that the Emperor is actually becoming a god and RG will realize it. Which would make us some of the first marines to find out "the truth" and possibly be the only way I could like the new faithful BT fluff (although I'll still have a problem with veneration mortals, be they astropaths or "living saint").

I was discussing this with some friends at work. I think RG has been bought back to be the authority to agree to the parley between the new Eldar and the Human race.

Who else would have the authority to order a cease fire between Space Marines and Eldar? He will then swan off to Terra to sort the huge back log of problems. I don'y think he will have a massive impact on the game post this current issue.

Oh and....

"The Black Templars of my Brother, Dorn, have been on their Eternal Crusade for ten thousand years?" the Primarch asked.

"Yes, my Lord." answered Captain Ventris.

"Their ZEAL is impressive." (Not red as RG is not a BT)

"It is never diminished Lord." forwarded Captain Cerantes.

"I approve, I will meet this Helbrecht, we have much to discuss. Where is he?"

"On a Crusade my Leige, agaisnt the Orks." reported a Tech Priest.

"Ever the Crusaders. My Brother would be proud."

I am surprised our minis have made it into two of the campaign books now. I thought they (GW) would have forgotten us in the webway as soon as the new Gulliman figure came out.

I am not. Rejoice!

http://i.imgur.com/V5vJAqY.png

I am surprised our minis have made it into two of the campaign books now. I thought they (GW) would have forgotten us in the webway as soon as the new Gulliman figure came out.

I am not. Rejoice!

http://i.imgur.com/V5vJAqY.png

Imperator Vult

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

to answer the thread title...

What gathering storm means to the black templars?

A doubling down on the new religious fluff.. we are best buds with the ecclesiarchy when we used to be "desperate allies" only as far back as the 6th ed BRB.

really dissapointed with that, but not at all surprised... silver lining, is everything else seams ok so far... and it's nice to get some rules and fluff... definitly the opposite of being squated!

Duncan has a Twitter page btw. Show him some support msn-wink.gif

Also, will Almirch call Helbrecth for support? Will he stop his Ghazghull chase and come to defend Terra?

If GW is actually going to continue this throughout the year then I expect to be another set of books to take on the other major end scenario of 40k, the Tyranids. Gathering Storm was for the 13th BC so GW could easily do another set of books about the Octavian War to shine some spotlight on Orks, Tyranids, Necrons and Tau with BT/IG as special guests (Maybe even a Triumvirate of Helbrecht, Yarrick and Xenos Inquisitor).

Why would RG be taken back by the existance of the Black Templar?

He was up and active for about 100 years after the heresey and the one that oversaw the breaking up of the Legions and knows exactly what Dorn and Sigismund pulled to maintain as large a single force as possible.

Basically he should be well aware of what the Templar are and their fanatical Emperor following nature given he would have already witnessed it first hand. He should also have some awareness of how the people of the Imperium view the Emperor as a god given that he would have seen how many thought that before the Heresey and the subsequent founding of the Temple of the Saviour Emperor.

The one thing that should in theory freak him out is St Celestine herself, because that is a level of mojo well beyond what he knew his father capable of.

16473854_1550609821635659_65128114740972

Yup, teaching the boys in blue like any Neophyte. Meat shields stand in front ;)

Neophyte Gulliman might make a halfway decent Initiate yet. I mean he already knows to hit things with a sword, and the creativity of having it on fire is the sort of thing that would be welcome in my Crusade.

when we used to be "desperate allies" only as far back as the 6th ed BRB.

Well we used to be on good footing with them as far back as the 4th edition codex (which is arguably the one true source of templar attitudes and lore). We honour them (and lets be clear here, with 'them' we really just mean Sisters of Battle, those are what are reffered to in both the old codex and the 6th ed BRB) on one of our most sacred chapter banners, which I don't think would be the case if we could barely stand their presence. And this is before we the new fluff had us adopt imperial doctrine. Really, my point is the mention of us being desperate allies with them in the 6th ed BRB just comes out of nowhere and is it being inconsistent more than anything else.

Does it really worth it to buy the book Fall of cadia in terms of fluff and rules ?

I heard there is not so much fluff about Templars, and considering that the 8 th edition is coming in few months, the rules and detachment/ formations might become outdated really quickly. 

I would like to add Ste celestine to my crusade but since rumors popped out about rules integrated in warscrolls and a codex Battle sisters might come ... idk

Archived