8th Edition: Zeal Rising

d3m01iti0n

While mortal wounds would be cool it wouldn't be very effective considering he will probably not have enough attacks to bring down tough characters which is what he's supposed to do

Well I forsee that characters will probably have between 5-6 wounds. Hopefully that includes the EC, but I dunno. I also see that they will probably have around the same amount of attacks as now, maybe bumped up a bit because of the loss of having dual CCW

Based on AoS, I can totally imagine buffs like extra attacks or rerolls to wound when in a combat with an enemy character. I personally incline towards the Black sword being damage d3 all the time, which would also help him out a lot as a monster slayer.

I'm wondering If Chaplain abilities' will be expanded/made more interesting, similar in a way to prayers in AoS.

It could be something like Litanies that are activated on a roll of 4+ or something that provide squad based or small AOE benefits like an extra attack, reroll of armor saves, etc

My biggest issue with 8th is the Primaris dudes. With the official information about the starter box and having seen more of the Primars line, I think I'll be totally cool with not buying them. The lack of dedicated assault units (just look at the (hilarious) assault squad with bolters) is a almost certainly deal-breaker. But I'll still wait for the rules for our current range to make a final decision.

Seeing and knowing more, what do you think about their usefulness for a Templar army?

My biggest issue with 8th is the Primaris dudes. With the official information about the starter box and having seen more of the Primars line, I think I'll be totally cool with not buying them. The lack of dedicated assault units (just look at the (hilarious) assault squad with bolters) is a almost certainly deal-breaker. But I'll still wait for the rules for our current range to make a final decision.

Seeing and knowing more, what do you think about their usefulness for a Templar army?

Okay honest opinion they will probably have some pretty useful options for us, especially since they all appear to be fire support units of some sort and they're a bit more durable then the standard marines.

On the other hand every single thing I've seen so far I hate, they look stupid.

I don't mind them so much except for the assault versions. Holy throne they are terrible. Pointless psyker hood things? Ski's on their feet? What were they thinking?

I don't mind them so much except for the assault versions. Holy throne they are terrible. Pointless psyker hood things? Ski's on their feet? What were they thinking?

I would say 'assault Centurions', but that name is already taken.

Every time I look at them, they look worse - they seem like a Librarian and a T'au suit had a baby that inherited the worst of each, and the minis fill me with the same zealous revulsion that such a combination would instill.

They look like shock absorbers. Actually of anything that and the curved flight stands are probably my favorite parts of these.

They look like Jet Packs more than Jump Packs to be honest.

I don,t hate them, but overall the who Primaris release feels....bland. There is definitely something missing with themnbut I can,t put my finger on it,

Well if I had to guess the Inceptor Squad is a hybrid range support assault.  But they do feel very close to the star craft reaper.  Yes I know Blizzard took influence from GW but they feel very close.

Yes, I was hoping for at least one unit of dedicated assault.  

These are the snap fit version of the models so these is a chance that we will see combo boxes of these models.  The DG model have some difference between the preview models and what we see in the starter set.  

@Fulkes good call on the transports being use to eat overwatch.

It will be interesting to see if Assault vehicles are still around and what they might do now.

Don't put too much faith in GW over the initial rules. The Imperial book still lists the "unique" chapters without us, which means we're nothing more than Chapter Tactics again. I'm pretty sure we're never getting our identity back.

So much for New GW listening.

Don't put too much faith in GW over the initial rules. The Imperial book still lists the "unique" chapters without us, which means we're nothing more than Chapter Tactics again. I'm pretty sure we're never getting our identity back.

The only way for us to get more is to push via the correct outlet.  This might make some people mad at me or even get me banded for saying this but as good as this forum is for BT it does very little to get GW's eye.  It's just a forum and they don't care.

When GW opens up a avenue for feedback we as in every BT player that we can get needs to make our voice heard.  Also the current FB page is just PR deflection tool and not really a feedback location.

I'm not expecting BT to get anything more than the JJ/Ward love child that we have seen so I'm not going be disappointed with more of the same.  I do think 8th overall seems like it could be the best version of 40k but we are only given tiny elements without knowing the units and points.  If we do get something more than the JJ/Ward love child BT I will be happy.  

I have been trying to find a method to give more comprehensive feedback but have had little luck so far, but I'm going to keep trying.  

Seeing as they're just converting codexes and supplements into new rules, I'd wait for us to get an actual Marine codex before grumbling about us not getting unrolled.

At the risk of the wrath of the more ZEALOUS on this board, but to throw a figment of a theory out as neutral advocate, shouldn't the Templars at the same time be grateful that this seems to be a push towards the old Legion organisation? It's essentially a 40k port of the 30k ruleset with dedicated tac and support squads, plus stronger assault moritats. Acknowledging the BT as the most CC-oriented and dedicated of the IF legion, could there not be room for a grudging appreciation of a return to the better ways?

The way I see it, we don't really care about externally imposed force organisations. We do what is necessary. We have carried the Emperor's light to the darkest corners of the galaxy in our Eternal Crusade. We don't need a blue Primarch to bring back any 'better ways' because they were never forgotten amongst our brethren.

I have had reservations of 8th, I have reservations on the Primarus Marine, but to put it simply, GW seems to be echoing military unit decisions made IRL. I hated the uniform change the US Army went with in the mid '00, but nobody asked my opinion. We were just forced to take it.

I will NOT be fielding the PM's... initially. I will take a "wait-a-moment" approach to them and see what they look like on the battlefield. This does NOT mean that I never will, however. Maybe when GW makes a more choppy unit of them, then I will reconsider.

I'm thinking the initial lack of options for these units might be due to being in the starter. We might see options for them later when they get actual kits.

That'll determine how good/bad/heretical they really are.

Initial reaction of the Interceptors is best said as Dave Chappelle on SNL recently:

"Those are some ugly a** boots you got on there. As the white boys on the internet say... WHAT are THOSE?" ( 1:40 http://bit.ly/2eQKQso)

I was looking at the Interceptors and thinking, "how can I fix this?" After many long moments, I gave up. It's a bit like a Ma.K suit (http://bit.ly/2q7Ye5J) with the legs that have more in common with that of a devastator. 

The Gravis armor, besides looking like he's got a beer gut (which would be funny, but it's not supposed to be) it has a power pack like the Intercessors, so either this is a variant of that armor or a very large departure from the terminator marks.

Very curious about the rules for the Hellblaster squad. Still gets hot? Maybe different rules like, instead of gets hot it can't fire for one turn. So instead of dying the unit can fall back and take cover while cooling off.

Primaris Ancient is most likely one of the "ascended" Astarte from the existing Ultramarines that is leading the new Primaris troops. 

Archived