Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

8th Edition...what does it mean for the Templars?

• Please log in to reply
1024 replies to this topic

Fulkes

Fulkes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,376 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars
I assumed it wasn,t a psyker hood due to the lack of wires but an armoured cowl to defend against attacks to the head from your blind spots.

gallery_83651_12132_28438.png

SWORD BROTHER RYAN

SWORD BROTHER RYAN

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 104 posts
  • Chapter Name: BLACK TEMPLARS

Sorry, but that hood HAS to go! If it's fire from blind spots you're worried about, that censored.gif ing thing would CREATE more blind spots than it helps to prevent!

SUFFER NOT THE UNCLEAN TO LIVE!

UPHOLD THE HONOR OF THE EMPEROR!

ABHOR THE WITCH, DESTROY THE WITCH​!

ACCEPT ANY CHALLENGE, ​NO MATTER THE ODDS​!

Challenge%20Against%20the%20Dawn_zpsbnxx

Fulkes

Fulkes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,376 posts
I was thinking of more that the new gorget turns into a massive bullet/shrapnel catch and the hood helps block that from behind...

That said I won't get worked up until I can read up on the new power armour and then decide how stupid it is in the context of the setting,

Marshal_Roujakis

Marshal_Roujakis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,347 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars Chapter

Really? The deathguard looked bigger than regular marines... to me anyhow...

Also, sadly, despite your valiant effort roujakis, I still don't like centurions. (I am ZEALOUSLY enthralled with all your other templars however)

Thank the emperor, it means I shan't have to truescale any centurions!

Had multiple looks just top be exactly sure... yeah, the Death Guard are Death Watch sized, but they are definitely not Primaris sized, my Templars are still decently scaled if compared to Death Watch since they are only half a head taller... unlike Primaris which are a full head taller in comparison to the Death Watch Space Marines...

'No matter the laurels of victory, no matter the glories others may seek. We are Space Marines, the Adeptus Astartes, the Angels of Death! And more than this.' he said, his voice dropping quiet. 

'We are Black Templars. Victory is its own reward.' - High Marshal Helbrecht - 'The Crusader' - Crusade to the Ghoul Stars -

Spoiler

The Vengeance Crusade Thread

Fulkes

Fulkes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,376 posts
While the new Plague Marines aren't taller, they are wider. Apparently the Cult troops are seeing some diversity in size.

On another note, I spotted a theory for the new Jet Pack Primaris guys: those aren't skids but anti-grave plates they're standing on.

If so, then I can accept the less dynamic poses.

That said, the lack of a melee focused unit (outside of the LT) for these new guys doesn't give me hopes for their ability to crusade. I mean I don't see even a combat knife on those models. Heck the Death Guard brought more melee to the fight than they did.

KhorneHunter57x

KhorneHunter57x

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,771 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars, Ultramarines

Very curious about the rules for the Hellblaster squad. Still gets hot? Maybe different rules like, instead of gets hot it can't fire for one turn. So instead of dying the unit can fall back and take cover while cooling off.

Gets Hot will probably have to change anyway, what with the change to how Blast weapons work - otherwise, the Plasma Cannon just became the worst heavy weapon by far. msn-wink.gif

"...for all the structures and guidelines the Codex Astartes provides for a Space Marine Chapter, its most valuable lessons are those on versatility and adaptation." -pg. 4, Codex Supplement: Angels of Death

I prefer to think that bolt weapons do, in fact, use cased ammunition - mostly for the reasons you state. It looks cool. They jingle when they hit hard ground. It's like the Emperor's wind chimes.

Marshal_Roujakis

Marshal_Roujakis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,347 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars Chapter

Very curious about the rules for the Hellblaster squad. Still gets hot? Maybe different rules like, instead of gets hot it can't fire for one turn. So instead of dying the unit can fall back and take cover while cooling off.

Gets Hot will probably have to change anyway, what with the change to how Blast weapons work - otherwise, the Plasma Cannon just became the worst heavy weapon by far. msn-wink.gif

It'll probably go back to it's roots of rolling before firing, if you roll a 1, then suffer a single wound, if not, then shoot normally...

As for other non-blast Gets Hot weapon, maybe it would be the same...

'No matter the laurels of victory, no matter the glories others may seek. We are Space Marines, the Adeptus Astartes, the Angels of Death! And more than this.' he said, his voice dropping quiet. 

'We are Black Templars. Victory is its own reward.' - High Marshal Helbrecht - 'The Crusader' - Crusade to the Ghoul Stars -

Spoiler

The Vengeance Crusade Thread

SydonianDragoon404

SydonianDragoon404

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 195 posts

I'm probably just going to remove the gun shields. Otherwise these guys are awesome. Kinda sad that there's no assault variant. Come on GW, show us that new dreadnought!!!!

doren

doren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6 posts
After seeing the jump pack unit, i keep thinking about a unit of mechs from armored core.

They have the option of full flight but prefer use use the jump packs to fast skate on the ground.

Still not a fan since there's no melee weapons to be found.

So i'm working on a BT Deathwatch army until i see a proper codex. I retired my army when i stopped playing 12 years ago. I can't bring myself to update the old army.

However, if we get solid rules, i'll gladly build a new army from the ground up. But still no primarus marines. Eff those newbs.

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,840 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars/Grey Talons

If this continues it seems I'll move to AoS permenantly.

Those are some ugly ass models.

if what continues? They made some ugly models, it isn't the first time **Cough**Centurions**Cough** and won't be the last. I don't see anything to get all gloom and doom about.

No doom and gloom just bland and boring design.
I usually like GW new models.
But these ones are a miss in my opinion.
I will skip the starter set. Gonna wait for the box sets.

Acebaur

Acebaur

++ VENATORIS MALUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,581 posts
So these are a miss and you are talking about giving up on 40k entirely at the dawn of possibly the best edition ever?
  • Firepower likes this

"There can be no meeting of minds and no understanding with such beings as exist in the dark places of the galaxy.There is simply a choice: defeat them, or be defeated by them. And Defeat them we will"
- Chaplain Emmerich

++++ The Jericho Crusade ++++

CrusadeExpansionIXCompletion_zps4f00cd3f Chaos%20at%20the%20Gates%202%20CompletioCrusade-of-Wrath-Banner_zpskditgcqh.gifCrusadeExpansionVMedallion_zps88e43d63.jCrusadeExpansionVIIMedallion_zpsfda1ee3bgallery_29004_6198_8099_zpsb5dd686e.pngsml_gallery_29004_10691_2146_zpsoudrnnrwChallenge%20Victor%20Small.jpg_zps92z4io

"Let our feet, steel clad, pressed into the soils of this alien land, remark on our passing. What need have we of plaudit and praise? No matter the laurel of victory, no matter the glories others may seek.
We are the Black Templars. Victory is it's own reward."

- High Marshal Helbrecht

T-Rock

T-Rock

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 197 posts

I think the warp is affecting the content of your transmissions, Sete. You should have a word with your astropath. tongue.png

Despite the fact I just finished them a few months ago, I'm tempted to steal their clear stands and attach them to some of my assault marines. I feel like having some airborne and others on the ground would make for really dynamic looking squads.

• TheOneTrueZon likes this

ffx98dl.jpg?4

balordazul

balordazul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 160 posts

Taking a look today's blog post being a FW data sheet I wanted to work on some theory craft.  I normally find FW rules to be slightly better than GW providing them a purchasing incentive over the standard model range as well to compensate for monetary value of the models.  

Looking at the Hellforged Siege drill what can we take away for the possibly for the Assault Centurion siege drills?

This one is Sx2 -4AP and D of 4 with no abilities.  The assault centurion siege drill is S9 AP2 armor bane so how might it be converted and what is your best guess?

For me I'm thinking it will be Sx2 -4AP but the D value going from FW to GW I'm guessing most likely only D3 or static 2.

What is your guess?

Well this also tied into chain fist as we see that the melta rule would not work with it as written.  Do you think it will just be roll two dice and discard the power or simply re-roll failed to wounds with a Chain fist?

PS: sorry Acebaur about looking at centurions again but I'm curious on how these things might work.

Edited by balordazul, Yesterday, 04:55 PM.

Acebaur

Acebaur

++ VENATORIS MALUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,581 posts
You're allowed to discuss centurions and how they might work in 8th. I just personally don't like them ;)

"There can be no meeting of minds and no understanding with such beings as exist in the dark places of the galaxy.There is simply a choice: defeat them, or be defeated by them. And Defeat them we will"
- Chaplain Emmerich

CrusadeExpansionIXCompletion_zps4f00cd3f Chaos%20at%20the%20Gates%202%20CompletioCrusade-of-Wrath-Banner_zpskditgcqh.gifCrusadeExpansionVMedallion_zps88e43d63.jCrusadeExpansionVIIMedallion_zpsfda1ee3bgallery_29004_6198_8099_zpsb5dd686e.pngsml_gallery_29004_10691_2146_zpsoudrnnrwChallenge%20Victor%20Small.jpg_zps92z4io

"Let our feet, steel clad, pressed into the soils of this alien land, remark on our passing. What need have we of plaudit and praise? No matter the laurel of victory, no matter the glories others may seek.

- High Marshal Helbrecht

balordazul

balordazul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 160 posts

I know that is why I said I'm sorry sweat.gif.

With a little more contemplation about chain fists being just modified power fists it could be something like.

Sx2 -3ap Damage is D3 and a minus 1 to hit.  

So the element that most likely will be changed is the Damage value with some possibilities.

1. D6 - boring but more consistent with GW rule writing.

2. D3 + value - for example D3 + 2 - I like this system but we have not seen the new dev team so far.

3. static value like D = 3 .... boring but we have seen elements like this  

This might become a very interesting option for termies.

I'm still curious about LC, siege drills and Crozius. 

Firepower

Firepower

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,969 posts

Yuck.  Yeah, not a fan of these jet packers.  And there does indeed seem to be some Tau design influence at work in places, which is all the more reason to ban them from my Crusade. :P

• TheOneTrueZon likes this

Suffer not the xeno psyker kitten, as to it the souls of man are but balls of yarn and jingly amusements!
Brother Chaplain Kage: "I don't think anything makes Firepower happy."
gallery_38474_6916_12161.jpggallery_38474_6916_19616.jpgBT_Chaos_at_the_Gates_Banner.gifgallery_38474_6916_5384.jpggallery_29004_6198_9307.pngsml_gallery_29004_10691_1994.pnggallery_38474_6917_1744.pnggallery_38474_6916_16905.png
Templars a la Firepower -- IA: Broken Arrows -- Broken Arrows WIP Blog -- My Crummy Sketches

d3m01iti0n

d3m01iti0n

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,162 posts
Basically anything not in our old dex is heresy.

Except TFCs.

"The third and final group are aberrants; Chapters who, through quirk of gene-seed, mutation or stubbornness, eschew the Codex Astartes in favor of other structural and combat doctrines......Others, such as the Space Wolves and the Black Templars, remain stubbornly independent, looking to their own founder's ways of war and caring little of how they fare in the eyes of others......Such divergent Chapters play little part in this volume, for this is the tale of the Ultramarines, and all who follow their example."
- from the 5th Edition Space Marine Codex[/quote]

Fulkes

Fulkes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,376 posts

Basically anything not in our old dex is heresy.

Except TFCs.

No, those are heresy too because they don't shoot swords.

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,704 posts
  • Chapter Name: Ultramarines
The gun shields on the Interceptor kit is to shield from muzzle flash.
Some weapons have that in real life :-D

PS: Centurions are fantastic
  • Fulkes likes this

-~Ishagu~-

Acebaur

Acebaur

++ VENATORIS MALUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,581 posts

Except space marines don't need to shield themselves from muzzle flash, they have helmets and enhanced eyes that do that for them.  So.. yeah... they are still fail ;)

- Chaplain Emmerich

- High Marshal Helbrecht

Fulkes

Fulkes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,376 posts

Except space marines don't need to shield themselves from muzzle flash, they have helmets and enhanced eyes that do that for them.  So.. yeah... they are still fail msn-wink.gif

And yet they can still suffer from the "Blind" rule from certain wargear...

TheOneTrueZon

TheOneTrueZon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 331 posts
  • Chapter Name: Silent Sword Crusade

If you filed down the bottom half into a point so that it more resembles a shield, then paint it with Templar heraldry, so the recipient of assumed many bolter shots will know they are from a Templar weapon. 

"My blood is the same colour as yours. And what I do, I do to protect Earth, same as you. You don't like how I do it, that's your prerogative. But there are things going on out there that you know nothing about. Threats to the human race that no one never hears about, because we stopped them. There are dangers all around us. And whether you like us or not, we may be all that stands between you and the abyss."
- Bester, Babylon 5

http://www.bolterand...-sword-crusade/

ETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei01.jpg ETL_2016_Badge_10_Badge_of_the_Artificer Challenge%20Against%20the%20Dawn_zpsbnxx

Canadian_F_H

Canadian_F_H

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,648 posts
I still think with enough bling from the BT kit and other sources, and some jeweler's chain, the models could see stark improvement.

Lysere

Lysere

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,438 posts
  • Chapter Name: Templar Order, Void Hunters
While we don't know if the Inceptors will have any other options I'm really on the fence about the starter box. Unless I can get someone to buy the deathguard off me right at the start then I'll probably just buy the few models I like from it individually.

I wouldn't mind using these guys for more dakka so the real Templars can focus on stabbing things.
ETL_04_Primus_Inter_Pares.jpgImg_CH00_08Awards_06_ETL_2013A_zpscbc6fekJirQ.gifsml_gallery_29004_10691_1994.png

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,840 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars/Grey Talons

So these are a miss and you are talking about giving up on 40k entirely at the dawn of possibly the best edition ever?

Yes.
The rules are great. The rest is not really that impressive.

But I will give it a chance.
I just need to see something else than the starter set.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users