8th Edition: Zeal Rising

d3m01iti0n

The fall of cadia book accurately depicts templars in a way that feels as if they are stubborn, relentless, fearless and durable. thumbsup.gif Certainly better regarded for their heroics than the other two chapters with forces there.

However, the book also takes a big steaming pile on my beloved tempestus scions, who don't fit their fluff at all. ermm.gif Ah well, can't have it all, I guess.

Why aren't the scions depicted well? Is it because they die in droves or just because they don't display a lot of heroics?

Specifically, their rebreathers do not render them immune to nurgle's plague (in their codex it does, nurgle finds it fascinating). Despite wearing environment suits that allow them to survive in a vacuum, their skin turns black with frostbite while on the icy moon (the unaugmented inquisitor is fine). They also aren't as fearless as their codex implies, being outshone in almost every instance by cadian guardsmen. Kasrkin are given only passing mention, even though they would be the most elite of cadian soldiers.

All that being said, they treated the templars well, I was quite pleased when they mentioned that the defensive position held by the templars had been ground to rubble around them as they fought. They really made templars out to be both ferocious like space wolves, and stubborn like Imperial fists.

Why aren't the scions depicted well? Is it because they die in droves or just because they don't display a lot of heroics?

Specifically, their rebreathers do not render them immune to nurgle's plague (in their codex it does, nurgle finds it fascinating). Despite wearing environment suits that allow them to survive in a vacuum, their skin turns black with frostbite while on the icy moon (the unaugmented inquisitor is fine). They also aren't as fearless as their codex implies, being outshone in almost every instance by cadian guardsmen. Kasrkin are given only passing mention, even though they would be the most elite of cadian soldiers.

All that being said, they treated the templars well, I was quite pleased when they mentioned that the defensive position held by the templars had been ground to rubble around them as they fought. They really made templars out to be both ferocious like space wolves, and stubborn like Imperial fists.

Yeah I was curious about the rebreather issue as well, but I think their deaths on the ice moon were to show how dangerous it was (the Templars aren't going to die because of their armor and augmentations and the inquisitor is a main character so...). As for their courage and skill I really didn't notice, I just always assume the guardsmen are dying in great numbers. 

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like the Black Templar get to be the ones to die to show that this battle with chaos is serious in book 3.

On the positive side the Templar at least outlasted the sisters of battle by the looks of things so at least GW are being consistent with the order in which armies are killed.

feZzrta.jpg

Yeah, that saddens me.  My first and truest love is Ultramar, but I have deep and wide appreciation for the BTs.  I was looking forward to seeing them fight back to back with the Ultras as the storm broke across the galaxy.  

I like the new-style narrative, but it's too bad that you need to have a name and a plot to be around for more than a few minutes.  I feel like there is a happy median that we blew past at some point.

Amalrich goes to Terra with Guilliman, and Amalrich becomes Emperor dry.png

Now, how about that formation that includes all those named characters? Plus, where the heck is Amalrich's model ;) I guess he gets ganked by Cypher shortly after becoming Emperor so he doesn't need one :P

I hope he gets to Terra, has a look around and then shouts "Last Shield" at the choir of astropaths over and over until that is all that is heard.

But I'm starting to think the Templar and Sisters have had their moment to shine/die for the Emperor in book 1 and are now to be largely forgotten as the Ultramarines and Grey Knights team up to do the narratively significant stuff.

Oh yeah a new BT model yes.gif

Well take the exemple of the sisters, in the previous campaigns they were there just to die but finally got two beautiful models: Celestine and Verydian.

I don't mind BT have the same treatment if we end up with new models for our chapter.

Amalrich should have been part of the third triumvirate. He's the one who gets the job done ^^

Hm, didn't the BT split in the Webway with only some going to Ultramar? It's weird, have faith in Him On The Golden Throne and see in the book, Brethren.

Also, Amalrich's Crusade is concurrent with Armageddon and Grimaldus and many other Crusades. It's but a splinter of us gone,

+ Their sacrifice remembered, the Crusade Eternal +

So in mid 2016 we found out that our Spiritual Liege had returned to GW.

In 2017 we have the Ultramarines and Grey Knights teaming up to save the Galaxy with Rowboat leading them.

Now I'm not suggesting any sort of connection, but if we see writing indicating the Ultramarine geneseed is superior or other chapters' are divergent and or mutated, the Black Templar get ground into the dirt and the story has Marshal Marshall Amalrich gushing over Robotnand claiming that he is the best ever, then we will know what has transpired.

In 2017 we have the Ultramarines and Grey Knights teaming up to save the Galaxy with Rowboat leading them.

Now I'm not suggesting any sort of connection, but if we see writing indicating the Ultramarine geneseed is superior or other chapters' are divergent and or mutated, the Black Templar get ground into the dirt and the story has Marshal Marshall Amalrich gushing over Robotnand claiming that he is the best ever, then we will know what has transpired.

This has transpired.

Co3aCE9W8AACOZ_.jpg

Dorn is dead, the Imperial Fists Chapter Masters inscribe their names on his bones. So pretty sure he isn't coming back msn-wink.gif

They inscribe it upon his hand. that is the only bones they have of him. Not the rest of his body, just his hand.

Pardon my ignorance, but who is our "Spiritual Liege"?

Banjulhu, on 28 Feb 2017 - 03:00 AM, said:snapback.png

Pardon my ignorance, but who is our "Spiritual Liege"?

The picture is of Mat Ward.

However, he is not our Spiritual Liege. If any can make that claim it would be A-D-B or McNeill.

Archived