8th Edition: Zeal Rising

d3m01iti0n

my $.02 I thought the regimental standard article was only there to support the necromunda reboot. I didn't see anything more coming out of it.

It probably is but it tells us that GW has put Armageddon as an "unresolved" conflict ready to be developed into something new in the future, I would not be surprised if the next campaign starts with the end of the 3rd war and follows the Orks/BT/Yarrick chase the same way the first Gathering Storm book began with how the 13th Black Crusade had ended in old lore. Specially because Orks are rumored to get something in the future and a Codex:Armageddon 2.0 is the perfect excuse to do something for Orks, Black Templars, Imperial Guard and after the Templars get caught on Tyranids do something for them as well.

If this does happen then the triumvirate has to be Grimaldus+Helbrecht+Yarrick with Grimaldus and his Servitors being the large model, could even come in an oval base!.

This was my thinking. I didn't see them as mutually exclusive, if anything I feel it'd be sensible to build on the Necromunda interest and pull in the wider war. Again, this is all total conjecture, but it seems sensible to me that they are going to "wrap up" a lot of the dangling story lines in order to move the meta narrative forward. Based on what we saw with Cadia and the 13th Black Crusade, it stands to reason a supplement could easily do the same for Armageddon. 

Another thing I was wondering; with Cadia destroyed, will they be moving to release some new guard units? I know they are just "standard IG" troops, but the minis are named "Cadians" after all. Armageddon seems like a sensible place to explore some Astra Militarum fluff as well. 

Regardless, it's a pretty exciting time fluff wise and stuff like this gives us some juicy scraps to chew on in the meantime. 

my $.02 I thought the regimental standard article was only there to support the necromunda reboot. I didn't see anything more coming out of it.

It probably is but it tells us that GW has put Armageddon as an "unresolved" conflict ready to be developed into something new in the future, I would not be surprised if the next campaign starts with the end of the 3rd war and follows the Orks/BT/Yarrick chase the same way the first Gathering Storm book began with how the 13th Black Crusade had ended in old lore. Specially because Orks are rumored to get something in the future and a Codex:Armageddon 2.0 is the perfect excuse to do something for Orks, Black Templars, Imperial Guard and after the Templars get caught on Tyranids do something for them as well.

If this does happen then the triumvirate has to be Grimaldus+Helbrecht+Yarrick with Grimaldus and his Servitors being the large model, could even come in an oval base!.

This was my thinking. I didn't see them as mutually exclusive, if anything I feel it'd be sensible to build on the Necromunda interest and pull in the wider war. Again, this is all total conjecture, but it seems sensible to me that they are going to "wrap up" a lot of the dangling story lines in order to move the meta narrative forward. Based on what we saw with Cadia and the 13th Black Crusade, it stands to reason a supplement could easily do the same for Armageddon. 

Another thing I was wondering; with Cadia destroyed, will they be moving to release some new guard units? I know they are just "standard IG" troops, but the minis are named "Cadians" after all. Armageddon seems like a sensible place to explore some Astra Militarum fluff as well. 

Regardless, it's a pretty exciting time fluff wise and stuff like this gives us some juicy scraps to chew on in the meantime. 

While agree about it being an advertisement for the new game I feel like the choice of Armageddon may be telling for future installments. I doubt the Black Templars would be featured twice in any Triumverate though, however, I would love to see one of our characters included as part of a triumverate with Yarrick. I'm not sure which would be better, Grimaldus or Helbrecht. Personally I'd go with Grimaldus, Yarrick, and a new Imperial Guard character. As Hero of Helsreach Grimaldus could awkwardly stand beside an ordinary human and Yarrick, and it would give the guardsmen some much needed love. Also, if GW made plastic steel legionnaires I think I would squeal with excitement. Hopefully with this we'll also see an Ork triumverate of some sort, something to help the poor boyz out.

again, Grimmy doesn't NEED a new model. his model can stand toe to toe with any of the current sculpts. I think if we DO get a character, it will be a named Emperors Champion. Again, thats where GW oddly took Almarach. Which i thought was strange a Marshal would be adorned with that title, but what ever. XD

again, Grimmy doesn't NEED a new model. his model can stand toe to toe with any of the current sculpts. I think if we DO get a character, it will be a named Emperors Champion. Again, thats where GW oddly took Almarach. Which i thought was strange a Marshal would be adorned with that title, but what ever. XD

Could be a named Marshal in the sense we don't have one, but while Amalrich could've been that, they instead made 'em an EC indeed (and, most likely, dead). Which isn't that odd, mind you, in the sense that Sigismund was the First Captain of the Imperial Fists when he was made EC :P 

The Sons of Horus may be no more, but rising from their ashes come the Black Legion. Returning after his long self-imposed exile, Abaddon offers the disparate Chaos Space Marine warbands within the Eye of Terror a simple choice – join him or die. As his newborn war host emerges from the Eye of Terror to ravage the galaxy, none can stand in Abaddon’s path, not even the Black Templars Chapter - sworn to stand guard at the storm’s edge - nor the Emperor’s Champion himself.

• 3 weeks later...

​My $.02, Cadia, Ultramar, Holy Terra, Armageddon... I care not where the Eternal Crusade fights, so long as the Crusade remains Eternal! Once we bust the (4-point of contact) of Chaos, then we still have Orks. After them, these nasty Tyranid bugs need a huge spraying from a can of raid filled with promethium and sparked alight with a flame. Let us not forget this small blue civilization trying to muscle in on our space, or these silvery skeletons that decided to go to sleep rather than fight for "What was theirs anyway" and wake up now? (How do you speed up rust?)...

​Point is, we are Templars! We are larger than the Codex allows because we need to be in order to take the fight to all points where our beloved Imperium is threatened!

We die in service to the Emperor and His Imperium every day. WE DON'T NEED A PRIMARCH! WE SAVE THEM!

Hey mods, could we please change my thread title to "8th Edition...what it means for Templars"? I feel there's a lot of potential discussion if I upgrade it and GS was a good lead in.

And I'll start by saying assault vehicles...just wow.

Easy there. Nothing is confirmed.

Its a rumour. And it would severely cripple armies like Tau.

I don't mind, burn those blue xenos, but the cheese and wine community would go ballistic.

The way i see it, and i have been saying this for years now, we will have new plastics and codex!

GW is focusing on smaller factions, Thousand Sons got a good release, now Death Guard.

Black Templars? They are not vanilla. And it's high time GW sees that.

A neophyte box with bolt pistols, chainswords, boltguns (mirrors the bird dudes TS had)

A basic infantry squad with tabards, chains the whole deal.

Tartaros sword brothers terminators with the bling.

Add some the High Marshall, Grimaldus and an Emperor Champion.

Profit. Lots of profit.

They will do the same with Death Guard and i shall be damned if they won't do the same with BT.

Hey mods, could we please change my thread title to "8th Edition...what it means for Templars"? I feel there's a lot of potential discussion if I upgrade it and GS was a good lead in.

You can try and change the name by using the full edition option on the first post.

Regarding vehicles - there doesn't appear to be a reason for the current rules, they are just dumb. This specific restriction was probably the biggest reason I stopped playing.

Elaborate...?

As Sete said, there isn't much to go for. Take a look at this thread - it should update you on stuff.

I'm definitely buying into the killteams. I've had 10 bolter Neos on my list for a bit now so this will be my chance to fill out the shooty Crusader squad. All with sniper goggles of course.

GW says they have more factions incoming. I would love to have something really fluffy, but I will settle for GW acknowledging Neos/Initiates in the rules, if only to keep reminding them that they created us, made us non codex adherent, and we're still awaiting our update.

There's no need for a neophyte box, the scout box already provides all of those options.

If the other rumors are true, I'm honestly not looking forward to anything but wounds on vehicles and assaulting from rhinos

I think Thousand sons were a smaller faction than Black Templar before the last months so we may have a chance to get some attention from GW

I don't expect a new upgrade kit but several units/kits, just like the TS got instead of one upgrade kit for their whole army. 

I won't hope too much though as i was a bit disappointed with the Gathering storm. 

About the 8th, as far as we know it looks good for choppy armies like Black Templars, Blood angels or those filthy Orks. 

Gw is not able to balance all phases at once, in 6th and 7th it was the reign of shooting and psy, maybe in 8th it will be a time of swords. 

Wounding on vehicles would be terrible... it's not as if we already have problems with really flimsy Rhinos, now even Bolters can wound them regardless of facing too... might as well NOT use vehicles... imagine a Land Raider Crusader being torn apart by weight of Dice from Lasgun fire... seriously, LAND RAIDER CRUSADER! TORN APART BY FLASHLIGHTS! wounding on vehicles would be terrible!!!

there should be rules restricting certain weapons from even denting certain vehicles... otherwise, what's the point of using vehicles if an Eldar without a strength boost can whittle wounds off vehicles...

I'm rather looking forward to the confirmed movement stats and the confirmed Armour Saved modifiers... might make Terminators tough again if they won't be forced to use the 5++ during every shooting phase... but it might also make them weaker against massed firepower...

As for BT boxes... I'd like to have something new... but I also don't want to lose the old set... they have pretty good gear in there, and the new upgrade kits for other armies lack vehicle upgrades... maybe a set of non-FW Terminator Shields would be nice, or Templar Terminator upgrade kit... that would be cool...

I like how vehicles work at the moment, mostly, apart from glancing stuff to death.

I would like Glancing hits to be possible Crew Shaken/Stunned, no Hull point loss

Penetrating hits to be as now but only the last HP lost could cause an explosion, which would hurt, more than current.

That way a Las Cannon could still Wreck a Rhino, with some lucky dice, in one shot. But can still be glanced by Bolters (16 mini missiles hitting the side of your rhino will upset the drivers/passengers.)

Wounding on vehicles would be terrible... it's not as if we already have problems with really flimsy Rhinos, now even Bolters can wound them regardless of facing too... might as well NOT use vehicles... imagine a Land Raider Crusader being torn apart by weight of Dice from Lasgun fire... seriously, LAND RAIDER CRUSADER! TORN APART BY FLASHLIGHTS! wounding on vehicles would be terrible!!!

there should be rules restricting certain weapons from even denting certain vehicles... otherwise, what's the point of using vehicles if an Eldar without a strength boost can whittle wounds off vehicles...

I'm rather looking forward to the confirmed movement stats and the confirmed Armour Saved modifiers... might make Terminators tough again if they won't be forced to use the 5++ during every shooting phase... but it might also make them weaker against massed firepower...

As for BT boxes... I'd like to have something new... but I also don't want to lose the old set... they have pretty good gear in there, and the new upgrade kits for other armies lack vehicle upgrades... maybe a set of non-FW Terminator Shields would be nice, or Templar Terminator upgrade kit... that would be cool...

Well they could easily just tie certain effects onto the vehicle tag, poison and flesh bane won't work but haywire and armour bane do. Change the effect of rending from always wound on a six to something else, or maybe not even effect vehicles at all.

Just because the vehicles would use a different stat doesn't mean they'll suddenly become squishier, if anything it'll save them from melta one shots and the like making them far more useful.

Archived