Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Upcoming BL stuff

• Please log in to reply
2612 replies to this topic

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,273 posts

Don't think they have, like most WD stories. I'm actually surprised by AD-B writing Guilliman, especially on such a subject. It's something that Haley has been tackling in Dark Imperium / Plague War and the shorts quite extensively already.

Knockagh

Knockagh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,024 posts
It’s incredibly short. I thought it a surprising subject for Aaron. Like a lot of shorts it probably written in a moment of inspiration!

cheywood

cheywood

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 425 posts
Audiobooks versions of Necropolis and Blackstone Fortress are coming next week apparently: https://www.warhamme...s-now-in-audio/

I suspect a few people will be happy to see Necropolis finally available.

Knockagh

Knockagh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,024 posts
Looks like we are in for a run of tie in fiction this year... I’m delighted we are getting some fiction to go along with the awakening as I felt like the continuing storyline was leaving me behind. I tried one of the game books but it had very little in it for fiction lovers and I’ve not kept up with the little shorts on community. That said strict tie in fiction has an up and down record in GW history. From the heights of Eisenhorn to the lows of those mechanicum books. It’s in good solid hands with Guy. Would love to see Justin Hill, Nick Horth and Peter Fehevari getting a shot at something in this series. Wraight, Abnett, Thorpe, ADB and co. have enough work to be getting on with! Fehevari would certainly add some psycho drama to this, it’s kind of perfect for him.

cheywood

cheywood

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 425 posts

Looks like we are in for a run of tie in fiction this year... I’m delighted we are getting some fiction to go along with the awakening as I felt like the continuing storyline was leaving me behind. I tried one of the game books but it had very little in it for fiction lovers and I’ve not kept up with the little shorts on community. That said strict tie in fiction has an up and down record in GW history. From the heights of Eisenhorn to the lows of those mechanicum books. It’s in good solid hands with Guy. Would love to see Justin Hill, Nick Horth and Peter Fehevari getting a shot at something in this series. Wraight, Abnett, Thorpe, ADB and co. have enough work to be getting on with! Fehevari would certainly add some psycho drama to this, it’s kind of perfect for him.

Horth’s only written for AOS right? It would be interesting to see him tackle a 40k project.

I strongly disagree with Fehervari however. Asking him to write something in a shared narrative where he has to link in to other authors’ work and match their style feels like a relative waste of his talents to my mind.

Edited by cheywood, 23 May 2020 - 04:25 PM.

• fire golem, DarkChaplain, Lord Marshal and 2 others like this

Knockagh

Knockagh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,024 posts
Horth did a 40k short in white dwarf, nothing spectacular but I took it as a toe dipping for him. I adore his AoS books so would love him to do some 40k.

I was putting Fehervari into the mix as he is great at creating an atmosphere and the psychic awakening needs some mystery and crazy atmosphere. Yes your right he probably wouldn’t want to fit in with a storyline but I think he could make a great contribution to the setting

cheywood

cheywood

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 425 posts

Horth did a 40k short in white dwarf, nothing spectacular but I took it as a toe dipping for him. I adore his AoS books so would love him to do some 40k.

I was putting Fehervari into the mix as he is great at creating an atmosphere and the psychic awakening needs some mystery and crazy atmosphere. Yes your right he probably wouldn’t want to fit in with a storyline but I think he could make a great contribution to the setting

That’s fair. Personally I think a lot of Fehervari’s brilliance comes from his intricate world building and you’d lose a lot of that in Dawn of Fire as he’d be one among many. Fehervari being a lead author and plotting out stories for others to write would be more interesting to me, assuming of course that his plots are done justice.
  • DarkChaplain likes this

cheywood

cheywood

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 425 posts
BL’s back to releasing new books: https://www.warhamme...rders-are-back/

Next week sees the Sons of the Selenar regular edition, print on demand HH, and the two kids books.

theSpirea

theSpirea

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 135 posts

I was thinking getting into HH PoDs but have heard only bad things about the quality. It seems it's not the usual hardcover, binding is cheaper/glued and the paper is of lesser quality. Personally, I already consider BL's hardcovers a bit overpriced so I'm not sure I want to pay even more for subpar quality. 

BL hardcovers
(the middle one is supposed to be HH PoD). Could anyone comment on that?

Kelborn

Kelborn

++ LECTOR HOSPITIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,091 posts
  • Faction: None - I'm a fluff nerd.
Tempted to get Sons of the Selenar.

Should I've read their previous history? Only read Angel Exterminatus thus far.

And do you think it'll be 25€, as well?

Lost Legion, the Predators                                                     Liber Astartes Swap Challenge 2019   

tn_gallery_87379_12273_68539.jpg gallery_26154_15777_13780.png 

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

This is my mod voice. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My mod voice is a means to an end.

Let us avoid it, alright?

kamedake88

kamedake88

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 50 posts

I swear to god if I don't get news of Darkness in the Blood coming to audio in the next month I am going to go into conniptions.  

Edited by kamedake88, 25 May 2020 - 02:17 AM.

• Noserenda likes this

It's also quite funny to think that countless billions of pilgrims and Marines over the millennia stop at the Temple of Correction to worship at the feet of a giant Slannesh fish nugget. - kamedake88 

caladancid

caladancid

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 688 posts

Yes but where is Manflayer.

• mc warhammer, Sandlemad, DarkChaplain and 1 other like this

malika666

malika666

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,967 posts

NECROPOLIS AUDIOBOOK!!!!! :D

• JH79 likes this

Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

JH79

JH79

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 408 posts
  • Faction: Wardens of Darkness

BL site has Sons of Selenar ebook up for pre-order release on the 6th of June... interestingly enough there's a free extract from the Audiobook version included on the same page! The audiobook isn't listed anywhere on their site or Audible, typical BL accuracy i suppose, but i'd say it's highly probable it'll get released at the same time.

cheywood

cheywood

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 425 posts
Seems like BL is slow rolling new content for whatever reason. No new books next week, just paperback editions of old releases: Heralds of the Siege
Ghoulslayer
Vaults of Obsidian (Blackstone fortress anthology)

It seems quite foolish to hold back actual new releases in favor of paperback editions, but maybe there are extenuating circumstances like shipments not arriving from the printer yet or a desire to release Manflayer alongside the Fabius mini.

cheywood

cheywood

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 425 posts
Anyone else noticed that the community site’s been giving Black Library updates almost every Wednesday in recent weeks?

This week it’s more info on Warhammer Crime, specifically the descriptions for Haley’s Flesh and Steel and the short story collection No Good Men. No mention of release dates beyond a generalized ‘later in 2020’.

Flesh and Steel:

Born into riches, Probator Symeon Noctis attempts to atone for his past sins by championing the powerless of Nearsteel district. But the sprawling city of Varangantua is uncaring of its masses, and when a bisected corpse is discovered in the neutral zone between Nearsteel and the Adeptus Mechanicus enclave of Steelmound, Noctis finds himself cast into his most dangerous case yet.

Partnering with the tech-priest Rho-1 Lux of the Collegiate Extremis, Noctis is drawn into a murky world of tech-heresy, illegal servitors and exploitation that could end his career, or his life.

No Good Men:

In the grim darkness of the far-future, there is a vast city… An urban sprawl of murder and corruption. A den of vice and illicit deeds where the law is failing, and justice is fleeting.

Glutted merchant-kings turn the wheels of industry, feeding the engine of war on distant worlds while the lowly dream only of survival. As the gilded prosper, hidden behind their fortress walls, the masses must find a place within the underbelly. But regardless of station, whether criminal or law-keeper, one fact remains true – this city is dirty, and no one escapes it without a little sin. For in Varangantua, there are no good men.

This Warhammer Crime collection features stories by Chris Wraight, Darius Hinks, Gareth Hanrahan, Graham McNeill, Guy Haley, Marc Collins and Nick Kyme.

Link: https://www.warhamme...omepage-post-3/

Edited by cheywood, 03 June 2020 - 11:59 AM.

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,273 posts

I'm actually REALLY disappointed that they're back to plastering the big (new) 40k logo onto the Warhammer Crime covers and spines. That they didn't do this with Warhammer Horror was much appreciated.

The Warhammer Crime logo is nice, compact and as there isn't even a split between 40k and AoS like with horror, actually putting the logo on the cover seems redundant. I could understand the spine, for folks browsing store shelves, but on the cover? It seems like a nuisance.

Beyond that, I can't stand the No Good Men cover. It looks very tacky, and visually distinct from the novel & audio drama. The style of those is very 40k without being overly franchise-y. It's grim, dark and oppressive, working both with the gothic infrastructure and character silhuettes. The anthology cover tries to be minimalistic, but color-wise, I hate the composition. While Horror has its own issues (the stacked letters, primarily), at least the simplicity works there. Here, they're juggling a dark blue-grey, bright red, dirty yellow and white. Not only that, but they've got overlaid textures to make them look unclean, or even torn.

And if that wasn't enough to bust the simplicity angle? The font also comes distorted, by virtue of being sliced in the middle of each line, and then offset a smidge.

This doesn't look good. It looks tacky, out of sync with the rest, while throwing multiple different design angles at the wall with none of them really sticking to it. Worse, if Horror is anything to go by, this is the general design they'll be going with for upcoming anthologies as well, simply shifting color palette and motive somewhat. Will they be keeping the red cross behind the title? Or will it be a circle, triangle, octahedron or whatever next? Doesn't help either that the "NO" on the spine is underlaid with the cross, too, with the two colors contrasting... not well.

I so hope this imprint takes off and Wraight, Worley and Haley get to write lengthy series for it, as implied, but damn, that anthology cover in particular looks like something an intern whipped up on the quick, not unlike the Advent Calendar short story covers - just that this time it ain't a faction icon stock image, but some random "dead guy's hand in a puddle of blood" stock image turned lineart.

• Knockagh likes this

Brother Lunkhead

Brother Lunkhead

++ ANTICUS ÆSALON ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,565 posts
  • Faction: Praetorian Sword, Ultramarines

I was thinking getting into HH PoDs but have heard only bad things about the quality. It seems it's not the usual hardcover, binding is cheaper/glued and the paper is of lesser quality. Personally, I already consider BL's hardcovers a bit overpriced so I'm not sure I want to pay even more for subpar quality. 

(the middle one is supposed to be HH PoD). Could anyone comment on that?

Sadly, I have to concur with your observations. I've had the same experience. Suppose I should have known better as I noticed that the few first print HH HC's I'd purchased were printed using highly acidic paper (noticeably yellowed after only one year.... not a good sign). For me it's PB's and audio books from here on.

gallery_26154_15777_13780.png

Knockagh

Knockagh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,024 posts

I'm actually REALLY disappointed that they're back to plastering the big (new) 40k logo onto the Warhammer Crime covers and spines. That they didn't do this with Warhammer Horror was much appreciated.
The Warhammer Crime logo is nice, compact and as there isn't even a split between 40k and AoS like with horror, actually putting the logo on the cover seems redundant. I could understand the spine, for folks browsing store shelves, but on the cover? It seems like a nuisance.

Beyond that, I can't stand the No Good Men cover. It looks very tacky, and visually distinct from the novel & audio drama. The style of those is very 40k without being overly franchise-y. It's grim, dark and oppressive, working both with the gothic infrastructure and character silhuettes. The anthology cover tries to be minimalistic, but color-wise, I hate the composition. While Horror has its own issues (the stacked letters, primarily), at least the simplicity works there. Here, they're juggling a dark blue-grey, bright red, dirty yellow and white. Not only that, but they've got overlaid textures to make them look unclean, or even torn.
And if that wasn't enough to bust the simplicity angle? The font also comes distorted, by virtue of being sliced in the middle of each line, and then offset a smidge.

This doesn't look good. It looks tacky, out of sync with the rest, while throwing multiple different design angles at the wall with none of them really sticking to it. Worse, if Horror is anything to go by, this is the general design they'll be going with for upcoming anthologies as well, simply shifting color palette and motive somewhat. Will they be keeping the red cross behind the title? Or will it be a circle, triangle, octahedron or whatever next? Doesn't help either that the "NO" on the spine is underlaid with the cross, too, with the two colors contrasting... not well.

I so hope this imprint takes off and Wraight, Worley and Haley get to write lengthy series for it, as implied, but damn, that anthology cover in particular looks like something an intern whipped up on the quick, not unlike the Advent Calendar short story covers - just that this time it ain't a faction icon stock image, but some random "dead guy's hand in a puddle of blood" stock image turned lineart.

Absolutely agree. The art in the run up to the new addition release has been awful. The comedic necrons and marines are beyond a joke and just look stupid. I hate it when they plaster the books in warhammer logos. The BL logo should be sufficient. BL have moved away from a tacky look in recent years but this release (with the exception of the excellent video) seems to be a direct effort to insert as much tacky over the top stupidity they can find. It’s horrible

Roomsky

Roomsky

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 933 posts
Personally, I’ll take the minimalist covers over the majority that look like model advertisements, it looks like a book I’d at least investigate as a layman.

Though I’m somewhat RG colourblind so maybe the colour combination is worse than I can see.

My webcomic, "Human," can be read here.

[WARHAMMER IS FOR EVERYONE]

A Melancholic Sanguinity

A Melancholic Sanguinity

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 604 posts

Oof that No Good Men cover actually makes my eyes tear up if I look at it for too long.

Also, I am genuinely astounded by Guy Haley's volume of output. Does he sleep?

Red_Shift

Red_Shift

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,234 posts
I've been eagerly awaiting new BL fiction post lockdown but I couldn't bring myself to meet the Sons of the Selenar price tag for a novella.

I could do with some good news with BL as I have found reading on the decking of an evening a welcome distraction from the pressures of work and it would be nice to have some new reads to look forward to.
  • caladancid likes this

caladancid

caladancid

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 688 posts

I've been eagerly awaiting new BL fiction post lockdown but I couldn't bring myself to meet the Sons of the Selenar price tag for a novella.

I could do with some good news with BL as I have found reading on the decking of an evening a welcome distraction from the pressures of work and it would be nice to have some new reads to look forward to.

Yeah it was the same for me. 

DukeLeto69

DukeLeto69

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 856 posts
As someone who has all the (released to date) HH books in MMPB I took plunge and am buying the SoT novels in standard HB as don’t want to fall too far behind.

However, decided that novellas will be purchased as Trade Paperbacks to protect my wallet!

JH79

JH79

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 408 posts
  • Faction: Wardens of Darkness

Soooooo then... Manflayer Audiobook anyone? 

Release date is 20/06 so I'd say it's a good chance that eBook and Hardback and or Paperback will drop at the same time...

• DarkChaplain, cheywood and Roomsky like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users