Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Upcoming BL stuff

• Please log in to reply
3671 replies to this topic

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,659 posts

I gotta say, I like Helen Keeley's narration as Beta Bequin. Should be fun.

Felix Antipodes

Felix Antipodes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 775 posts
  • Faction: Fighting Furies
Further to my last post, the Bloodquest II GN is now up on the Oz site. Better late than never!

InKaras

InKaras

++AQUILA CÆRULEUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,035 posts

Very happy right now.

I got my hands on  Liber Xenologis (Hardback)

This will be my first special book (maybe it's not so special, I don't know) in a long time.

I also got the free book which I am actually pretty excited for.

• Triszin, Knockagh, sitnam and 1 other like this
April 14th / 2010 A New Kidney for me, yeay!

sitnam

sitnam

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 433 posts

Very happy right now.

I got my hands on  Liber Xenologis (Hardback)

This will be my first special book (maybe it's not so special, I don't know) in a long time.

I also got the free book which I am actually pretty excited for.

Ordered mine too. I guess it isnt limited edition, I only barely ordered it today

Posted Image
The Order of His Amethyst Heart
The Dancing Scythes Chapter

Taliesin

Taliesin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,276 posts

Brexit is going wonderfully, innit?

Who would have thought that not having a proper deal in place, or even a temporary one, until the week before things actually went into effect could end up badly? Or rather, how the hells was the UK surprised by actually having a severe lack of customs staff and procedures this late into the game? It was so blindingly obvious that, without the trade union, customs offices would suddenly be overwhelmed with all the packages and shipments they'd have to check again for the first time in... decades?

As much as I think this issue warrants dunking on GW, especially due to their poor communication and planning - they could have easily shipped an appropriate chunk of their EU and US stock to the mainland ahead of time, resulting in barely any delays from the usual on the customers' end - the root cause is still the UK government's inability to actually anticipate the effects of the last what, running on 5 years of debate, votes, referendums, further debates, negotiations and so forth? 

Its a huge mess. I see Kelborn posting that his package has been waiting for clearance, thats what mine said since last Monday too.

From what I have gathered speaking to the 3rd party seller in my country as well as the words from GW customer service on Friday is that GW has many, many shipments to customer stuck in that UPS warehouse in Germany. It doesnt get much coverage here I guess since a lot of the posters are UK residents.

The 3rd party seller told me that new shipments are actually supposed to arrive quickly this week, which convinced me to order Pariah and Pentinent through them, he said its the older shipments that are still stuck in big quantities.

Edited by Taliesin, 22 February 2021 - 12:47 PM.

Bobss

Bobss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 177 posts

I didn't want to make a thread about this, and this thread has sort of become a catch-all for these sorts of questions, but I've only noticed today that the Josh Reynolds Blackshields audio trilogy hasn't been collected into official print form has it? I could've sworn they were part of the Burden of Loyalty or Heralds of the Siege anthologies, but according to several wiki-type sites they aren't (fwiw the last printed anthology I bought/read was The Silent War). I initially wondered if this was linked with the wider Josh Reynolds Leaving Black Library Saga, but from what I can see several other audios such as Nightfane haven't been collected either

I expect there to be a few Siege of Terra short stories at some point in time (maybe?) so I imagine these would be collected with them but I honestly have no idea. Thoughts?

theSpirea

theSpirea

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 272 posts

There are 5 new short stories coming out (at least I don't think they've been published before). https://www.blacklib...ption-2021.html

• The Labyrinth of Lost Souls - McNeill
  • Warsphere - Hinks (Blackstone Fortress)
  • The Sisters of Death - Ware (Adepta Sororitas)
  • The Perfect Assassin - Kloster (Maleneth)
  • The Bigger They Are - Mitchel (Ciaphas Cain)

Lord Nord

Lord Nord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 886 posts

Where is he, why has he been cut open, and most importantly of all… who could he possibly be?

So I take it "The Labyrinth of Lost Souls" is a (barely) post-Rubicon Ventris story?

BLPROCESSED-The-Labyrinth-of-Lost-Souls-

Edited by Lord Nord, 22 February 2021 - 03:56 PM.

I wouldn't even gatekeep you.

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,659 posts

I didn't want to make a thread about this, and this thread has sort of become a catch-all for these sorts of questions, but I've only noticed today that the Josh Reynolds Blackshields audio trilogy hasn't been collected into official print form has it? I could've sworn they were part of the Burden of Loyalty or Heralds of the Siege anthologies, but according to several wiki-type sites they aren't (fwiw the last printed anthology I bought/read was The Silent War). I initially wondered if this was linked with the wider Josh Reynolds Leaving Black Library Saga, but from what I can see several other audios such as Nightfane haven't been collected either

I expect there to be a few Siege of Terra short stories at some point in time (maybe?) so I imagine these would be collected with them but I honestly have no idea. Thoughts?

There's also the Malcador audio drama that they labeled as part of Primarchs, when no Primarch even appears outside of namedropping, and Illyrium, which takes place between Ruinstorm/Spear of Ultramar and Guilliman arriving at Terra (at least the framing story, the core is about Guilliman's conquest of Illyria via flashback conversation).

Then you have the two Siege novellas from two years ago, Embers of Extinction (post-Crimson Fist Perturabo), Prelude to Nikaea, a just-before-Siege Malcador story from WD, The Serpents Dance & The Lightning Hall, The Revelation of the Word (Lorgar during the Shadow Crusade) and Hubris of Monarchia.

I don't think Two Metaphysical Blades has been collected yet either.

There's a load of short stories and audio dramas yet to be collected. Just no word about it whatsoever, and at this point I'd have expected at least one dedicated Siege anthology. We got material for two already, even just on pre-Siege stuff.

As for Endryd Haar in particular, there really needed to be a fourth audio drama by Josh to get the Riven Hound from Broken Chain to Saturnine. There's a glaring gap in the narrative that we may never get, unless another author picks up the threads, which then won't be an audio drama I'd bet. A pity. Josh's Haar is great.

-------------

Not really excited about the selection of short stories, personally. Cain is always welcome, of course, but seeing yet another author dabbling on Maleneth Witchblade (Gotrek's new companion) is annoying, especially when their track record has been mostly Necromunda so far.

I also expect today's story to be about Ventris, to bridge the gap between The Death of Uriel Ventris and The Swords of Calth.

The Blackstone Fortress story is welcome, but also something that I feel is late to the party, considering the game and expansions are leaving the shelves soon. And the Ware Sororitas story will probably be up a lot of folks' alley, but it's just yet another short story in a series that should have been collected thrice over by now, where you basically need a map just to see where each story fits. Danie Ware really needs an anthology with the novellas and short stories all in one place, and soon.

Speaking of Ventris, actually, I'm intrigued by the synopsis, which shows that Ventris is leading his company in the Indomitus Crusade post-Rubicon. However, I don't believe that Ventris was Primaris when he met Guilliman in the first Dark Imperium novel - how could he have been when Calgar wasn't, after all - which basically confirms that the Indomitus Crusade will be carrying on after Dark Imperium's revisions, rather than getting trimmed like it originally appeared in the old timeline.

I wonder if we'll be seeing some references to the Plague Wars in Swords of Calth, considering Ventris returned to Ultramar along with his Primarch.

Edited by DarkChaplain, 22 February 2021 - 03:26 PM.

• LetsYouDown, byrd9999, theSpirea and 1 other like this

A Melancholic Sanguinity

A Melancholic Sanguinity

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 700 posts

I'm a little surprised that the various limited editions from this past weekend are still available for pre-order (at least in the US).

I hope it's not some back-end error that's just reporting items as available when they're actually all gone with cancellation notification emails to follow.

That's not something that's ever happened, has it?

cheywood

cheywood

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 598 posts

I'm a little surprised that the various limited editions from this past weekend are still available for pre-order (at least in the US).

I hope it's not some back-end error that's just reporting items as available when they're actually all gone with cancellation notification emails to follow.
That's not something that's ever happened, has it?

They’re also still available in Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Sold out everywhere else I could see. I hope it’s not a glitch, given that they’ve had a few days to notice and fix it. The only previous example of which I can think is The Solar War. The ordering process was a mess and I recall at least one member here having their order cancelled. Those who’ve been ordering limited editions for longer might recall more examples though. BL only sucked me in when they went to the 6 month exclusivity period.

Edited by cheywood, 22 February 2021 - 06:24 PM.

Lord Nord

Lord Nord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 886 posts

I went ahead and got the Graham McNeill story. Yeah, pretty much exactly what I thought it was, but it's not like they tried to hide it. Hard to think it would be anything else, with McNeill writing, the Swords of Calth having just gone up for pre-order on Saturday, and the artwork practically screaming "THIS! IS! RUBICON!"

Decent story, though. And I think someone owes Barry Windsor-Smith a royalty check.

RedFurioso

RedFurioso

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 316 posts

considering the game and expansions are leaving the shelves soon

Was it rumored/confirmed somewhere? sad.png

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,659 posts

considering the game and expansions are leaving the shelves soon

Was it rumored/confirmed somewhere? sad.png

Not really confirmed, but it's already been pretty tricky to get a hold of some expansions locally. It seems pretty similar to how it went for previous Warhammer Quests or even Warhammer Underworlds, where things start dropping out of the shop one by one til they run out of stock on the main game.

Lord Nord

Lord Nord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 886 posts

Speaking of Ventris, actually, I'm intrigued by the synopsis, which shows that Ventris is leading his company in the Indomitus Crusade post-Rubicon. However, I don't believe that Ventris was Primaris when he met Guilliman in the first Dark Imperium novel - how could he have been when Calgar wasn't, after all - which basically confirms that the Indomitus Crusade will be carrying on after Dark Imperium's revisions, rather than getting trimmed like it originally appeared in the old timeline.

I wonder if we'll be seeing some references to the Plague Wars in Swords of Calth, considering Ventris returned to Ultramar along with his Primarch.

Well, they did say in the reveal stream that the Dark Imperium novels would now only be covering the first phase of the Indomitus Crusade (EDIT: more accurately, the END of the first phase as opposed to the end of the Crusade), so it was never intended as a secret that it would have gone on afterwards. The question of course is if they have any intention of being on record as to how long it went on in the revised timeline. Did it still last for another century or did it end earlier or will we just enter into a new storytelling era where events much past the end of Godblight are no longer referenced or only revealed slowly as the timeline advances at a more sedate pace?

It's funny - the White Dwarf article specifically mentions The Great Work as a story that happens "during the Indomitus Crusade" even though it's one of the more problematic stories out there now. Not only was it originally set after the Crusade ended (not a big fix there), but a core aspect of the story was that it took place over a century after the Scythes' homeworld was rendered uninhabitable - now that span of being a toxic atmosphere is reduced from over a hundred and twenty years to just twenty. Again, still not terrible. BUT there's also the matter of the Scythes' chapter being ground down to almost nothing over the course of the Crusade, something that a mere twelve years of fighting shouldn't have been able to do (especially since we read that they were given Primaris reinforcements and those too are down to a comparative handful).

So if The Great Work is going to be set around twelve years post-Rift instead of 112, then there's another story that needs to be told about just how the Scythes got so whittled down in such a short time. Or at least an explanation needs to be worked in that the Primaris reinforcements we read about in the novel were actually just a small delegation and there are still other Primaris Scythes out on deployment (even though the novel specifically said that was all of them).

And I do think they'll move The Great Work all the way back to twelve years post-Rift just to keep the storyline consistent for Decimus Felix, since I expect Godblight to reference the development he had here rather than treat it as events that won't happen for some time. Ditto for the development that Cawl denies wanting to be Fabricator-General of Mars upon learning that the Cawl Inferior has been pushing for that with Guilliman supposedly at Cawl's behest. That again is a point that was brought up in  the first Dark Imperium novel and I'd expect it to be furthered in book three, which it can't be if Cawl doesn't find out about it until years later.

Edited by Lord Nord, Today, 01:00 AM.

cheywood

cheywood

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 598 posts

Well, they did say in the reveal stream that the Dark Imperium novels would now only be covering the first phase of the Indomitus Crusade, so it was never intended as a secret that it would have gone on afterwards. The question of course is if they have any intention of being on record as to how long it went on in the revised timeline. Did it still last for another century or did it end earlier or will we just enter into a new storytelling era where events much past the end of Godblight are no longer referenced or only revealed slowly as the timeline advances at a more sedate pace?

It's funny - the White Dwarf article specifically mentions The Great Work as a story that happens "during the Indomitus Crusade" even though it's one of the more problematic stories out there now. Not only was it originally set after the Crusade ended (not a big fix there), but a core aspect of the story was that it took place over a century after the Scythes' homeworld was rendered uninhabitable - now that span of being a toxic atmosphere is reduced from over a hundred and twenty years to just twenty. Again, still not terrible. BUT there's also the matter of the Scythes' chapter being ground down to almost nothing over the course of the Crusade, something that a mere twelve years of fighting shouldn't have been able to do (especially since we read that they were given Primaris reinforcements and those too are down to a comparative handful).

So if The Great Work is going to be set around twelve years post-Rift instead of 112, then there's another story that needs to be told about just how the Scythes got so whittled down in such a short time. Or at least an explanation needs to be worked in that the Primaris reinforcements we read about in the novel were actually just a small delegation and there are still other Primaris Scythes out on deployment (even though the novel specifically said that was all of them).
I thought that the Scythes were doing fine numbers-wise as of the Great Work but the non-primaris veterans were effectively gone?
Spoiler

Edited by cheywood, Yesterday, 10:27 PM.

• DarkChaplain likes this

Lord Nord

Lord Nord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 886 posts

I thought that the Scythes were doing fine numbers-wise as of the Great Work but the non-primaris veterans were effectively gone?

I believe I took the section you quoted as meaning that the Primaris would rebuild the chapter back to a formidable force, not that they were there already. But it's been a while - I might be misremembering. Can you give me a chapter number for that?

cheywood

cheywood

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 598 posts

I believe I took the section you quoted as meaning that the Primaris would rebuild the chapter back to a formidable force, not that they were there already. But it's been a while - I might be misremembering. Can you give me a chapter number for that?

Sure can, it’s chapter 2. I can’t claim to have a perfect memory of the book either, so you could be entirely right and there’s a mention of low primaris numbers that I missed.

Lord Nord

Lord Nord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 886 posts

Sure can, it’s chapter 2. I can’t claim to have a perfect memory of the book either, so you could be entirely right and there’s a mention of low primaris numbers that I missed.

Ah, no it looks like I did misremember that and I think I know why after re-reading the passage. I remembered the remarks about the chapter being worn down and the small number of Firstborn remaining, but at some point I think I conflated the Primaris members of Decimus' party for the remaining Primaris in the Scythes. Decimus does contrast the two forces in his head, but I misremembered that as him comparing the Firstborn and Primaris halves of the Scythes chapter. I had been thinking that the Primaris Scythes were then sent away prior to the mission to the surface. But no, they were never there. It was Decimus' Chosen that they were being compared to. So there can indeed be a large contingent of Primaris-only Scythes still running around out there.

But that chapter does again reinforce that it took a long time for the Firstborn to get whittled down to the few that appear in The Great Work. Decimus mentions that the Scythes were down to two chapters when the Primaris reinforcements arrived (which would have been a year or so post-Rift at the earliest, minus maybe a few months). As Thracian points out, those figures were "a century out of date," meaning it took over a hundred years for the Firstborn Scythes to get ground down from two hundred to thirteen. But now in the revised timeline, if The Great Work still follows closely after Plague War, then that grinding down would have had to happen in just a dozen years. That would be a staggering casualty rate for an Astartes chapter, even one that spent the entire time on the front line. Especially considering that those are all experienced Firstborners getting killed and not wet-behind-the-ears Primaris (I'm sure they lost some of those too, but if they'd died at anywhere near the same rate as the Firstborn I think Bobby G. would have to think about revoking their charter).

• cheywood likes this

cheywood

cheywood

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 598 posts

Ah, no it looks like I did misremember that and I think I know why after re-reading the passage. I remembered the remarks about the chapter being worn down and the small number of Firstborn remaining, but at some point I think I conflated the Primaris members of Decimus' party for the remaining Primaris in the Scythes. Decimus does contrast the two forces in his head, but I misremembered that as him comparing the Firstborn and Primaris halves of the Scythes chapter. I had been thinking that the Primaris Scythes were then sent away prior to the mission to the surface. But no, they were never there. It was Decimus' Chosen that they were being compared to. So there can indeed be a large contingent of Primaris-only Scythes still running around out there.

But that chapter does again reinforce that it took a long time for the Firstborn to get whittled down to the few that appear in The Great Work. Decimus mentions that the Scythes were down to two chapters when the Primaris reinforcements arrived (which would have been a year or so post-Rift at the earliest, minus maybe a few months). As Thracian points out, those figures were "a century out of date," meaning it took over a hundred years for the Firstborn Scythes to get ground down from two hundred to thirteen. But now in the revised timeline, if The Great Work still follows closely after Plague War, then that grinding down would have had to happen in just a dozen years. That would be a staggering casualty rate for an Astartes chapter, even one that spent the entire time on the front line. Especially considering that those are all experienced Firstborners getting killed and not wet-behind-the-ears Primaris (I'm sure they lost some of those too, but if they'd died at anywhere near the same rate as the Firstborn I think Bobby G. would have to think about revoking their charter).

That’s totally understandable, especially since one of Felix’s bodyguards is a Primaris Scythe. Yeah, it’s definitely a high casualty rate even for just the Firstborn. The way I see it the Scythes saw the arrival of the Primaris as an excuse to throw themselves headlong at the Hive-Mind, heedless of casualties now that their chapter’s future was secured.
  • Lord Nord likes this

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,659 posts

I seem to recall the Scythes in the novel being the old guard that believe they're better of going down by themselves and leaving the new generation in charge, to put a lid on their (to them) shameful history and not burden the new guys with it. It wasn't that their Primaris were gonna go extinct, just the old Astartes that still remember their time on Sotha - and that was extinction by choice.

There's definitely some revising necessary to get the numbers correct, even if we involve warp time shenanigans, they're just too much of a discrepancy. It's a pity we haven't gotten a Scythes novel since Slaughter at Giant's Coffin. I wonder if Laurie would have continued his arc, had he not moved on to Riot along with the others.

There's actually a line that indicates Mortarion's attack on Ultramar was still happening in the present, too. So... yeah.

• cheywood likes this

sitnam

sitnam

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 433 posts
I finished Warsphere, being a sucker for Kroot, Blackstone Fortress, and Dahyek Grekh. I'd say it serves as a neat little story to expand upon Grekhs story. Would love to see Darius Hunks tackle a full blown Kroot novel, I quite like how he portrays them.
  • byrd9999 and theSpirea like this
Posted Image
The Order of His Amethyst Heart
The Dancing Scythes Chapter

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1), Cerbero666