Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Upcoming BL stuff

• Please log in to reply
2620 replies to this topic

Xisor

Xisor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,192 posts

Anyone notice that BL have sneaked Cult of the Warmason by CL Werner (a Genestealer cult novel) into the the April coming soon! Defo wasn't there last time I looked!

I have never read anything by CL Werner so not sure how good he is. Will be interesting to contrast to the virtually perfect Genestealer Cults by Peter Fehevari!

U wot m8.

---

Joking aside, CL Werner's absolutely terrific. Get working through his back catalogue.

Siege of Castellax was very good, my only word of caution is that it's one of the most relentlessly bleak 40k novels going. Very impressive though, but not exactly whimsical! His Thanquol trilogy, on the other hand; bleak, hilarious, horrific, satirical. They're really great. And his Time of Legends novels are shockingly good too.

As such, I'm *massively* looking forward to Cult of the Warmason.
  • Space Truckin, Pariah32 and DukeLeto69 like this

HeritorA

HeritorA

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 3,552 posts
  • Faction: Hydra

Anyone notice that BL have sneaked Cult of the Warmason by CL Werner (a Genestealer cult novel) into the the April coming soon! Defo wasn't there last time I looked!

I have never read anything by CL Werner so not sure how good he is. Will be interesting to contrast to the virtually perfect Genestealer Cults by Peter Fehevari!

U wot m8.

---

Joking aside, CL Werner's absolutely terrific. Get working through his back catalogue.

Siege of Castellax was very good, my only word of caution is that it's one of the most relentlessly bleak 40k novels going. Very impressive though, but not exactly whimsical! His Thanquol trilogy, on the other hand; bleak, hilarious, horrific, satirical. They're really great. And his Time of Legends novels are shockingly good too.

Yeap - me too. I believe Clint Werner will do Genestealers justice! 

DukeLeto69

DukeLeto69

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 870 posts

U wot m8.
---

Have avoided SMB novels for the most part (Helsreach and Battle for the Fang aside) but Siege of Castellax is a maybe! I think Xisor and Heritor have similar tastes to me overall (though Xisor I have never agreed with Atlas Infernal) so Cult of the Warmason is now on my must read list.

2017 is shaping up to be the BEST 40k year for BL in a long time! Ironically not so for HH which is clearly last year!

Apothecary Vaddon

Apothecary Vaddon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,296 posts
  • Faction: n/a, don't do TT

Siege of Castellax has to be a must read. That's the novel that gave us hypersonic bolt rounds and hilarious aim prediction for Marines, after all.

Edited by Apothecary Vaddon, 10 February 2017 - 08:34 PM.

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,578 posts
  • Faction: Inkspillers
Castellax is Iron Warriors vs Orks right? I seem to recall hearing good things about that

Humble scrivener (alternate Episode IX attempt now in-progress), caretaker of the Lightning Bearers and member of the Broken Throne alt-Heresy project

HeritorA

HeritorA

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 3,552 posts

U wot m8.
---

Have avoided SMB novels for the most part (Helsreach and Battle for the Fang aside) but Siege of Castellax is a maybe! I think Xisor and Heritor have similar tastes to me overall (though Xisor I have never agreed with Atlas Infernal) so Cult of the Warmason is now on my must read list.

2017 is shaping up to be the BEST 40k year for BL in a long time! Ironically not so for HH which is clearly last year!

exactly. One of the best years for W40K for sure and one of the worse for Horus Heresy. In my humble opinion thanks.gif

Siege of Castellax has to be a must read. That's the novel that gave us hypersonic bolt rounds and hilarious aim prediction for Marines, after all.

Lol, true.

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,291 posts

How can this be one of the worst years for Horus Heresy when even WITH the re-releases and anthologies we're still getting more new material than just some years ago? Nothing can be as bad as basically getting jack all. We're even getting four Primarchs novels this year!

As for The Siege of Castellax, I loved it. It was ultra bleak. Nutrient paste made from humies? Yes, please. It was a testament to the Iron Warriors' ruthlessness and disregard for humanity.

• hopkins, JH79 and DukeLeto69 like this

hopkins

hopkins

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 907 posts

How can this be one of the worst years for Horus Heresy when even WITH the re-releases and anthologies we're still getting more new material than just some years ago? Nothing can be as bad as basically getting jack all. We're even getting four Primarchs novels this year!

this!!

if we get Wolf Cull too, even better

• DarkChaplain likes this

HeritorA

HeritorA

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 3,552 posts

As for The Siege of Castellax, I loved it. It was ultra bleak. Nutrient paste made from humies? Yes, please. It was a testament to the Iron Warriors' ruthlessness and disregard for humanity.

You answered it yourself - 'WITH the re-releases and anthologies'

And to be honest - what new HH novel do you see in the first half of 2017???? I will tell you - there are none - except for the Crimson King at the End of the June (so it's July - second half of the year).

Primarchs serie is not HH same as TBA is not W40K. And Primarch novellas suck

Edited by HeritorA, 13 February 2017 - 01:19 PM.

hopkins

hopkins

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 907 posts

in your humble opinion

wasn't keen on bobby g

great wolf was awesome

magnus/perturabo/fulgrim being handled by my some of my fave authors, so no worries there

• DarkChaplain, R_F_D and JH79 like this

HeritorA

HeritorA

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 3,552 posts

in your humble opinion

wasn't keen on bobby g

great wolf was awesome

magnus/perturabo/fulgrim being handled by my some of my fave authors, so no worries there

In my humble opinion - so far the score into the worse side.thanks.gif

Book 1 Roboute Guilliman has 0 plot, I can't even understand why they decided to write that. It was painful and boring to read.

Book 2 about Russ strangely was amazing. (Except for the point where Russ show his jentleman side by threatening Lion for his own SW sons mistake. Guys just imagine - you have several squads of sons killed on a whim of a rash SM and after that you are threaten and the aggravated side didn't even show remorse - in place of Lion I would have slaughtered them all. Instead Russ says theatrical sorry and then threaten you personally - and everyone forgot about the accident in 1 page wallbash.gif  )

Book 3  - So-so, definitely ruined images of several key characters of the HH and recycled heroes again instead of creating new ones.

So yeah - 2 bad novellas versus 1 good one so far. Roll in Perturabo thanks.gif

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,291 posts

And I'll keep making the argument that Guilliman had neat themes and seeing his role as a builder of empires and believer in symbolism where he also had to weigh it up against his pragmatism was cool to see. It showed many of his concerns, the way he led his Legion pre-Heresy, the Ultramarines' feelings after Monarchia and so much more, all dressed up in an escalating war against some ork remnants. It flowed well, despite the focus on battles, and explored the Destroyers in ways they've not been before.

Besides, they're novels, not novellas.

• HeritorA and R_F_D like this

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

++ PRÆCEPTOR BARBATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,955 posts
So far, 2 great and 1 okay novel in my eyes.
(Great=Guilliman and Magnus, Okay=Russ)

Edited by Wolf Lord Kieran, 13 February 2017 - 05:48 PM.

Space Wolves are badasses that operate just barely within the rules. 13th Co. didn't even know there were rules applying to how badass they could be. DepthCharge on the Space Wolves

I'm so pleased that GW have gone to such great lengths to produce these awesome Space Wolves basing kits. Wraithwing on the Thousand Sons Rubic Marine release

"The Fell Hand is a name that has been passed on through out the Legion. When one warrior bearing it died, the name is left to be earned by another. Thus it was passed from Floki to Volund to Erik to Geigor. And then the tradition died, because censored.gif Bjorn got the name and proceeded to live for 10 censored.gifmillenia." - Sagas of the Wolf Priests. Wispy

Arkangilos

Arkangilos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,762 posts
  • Faction: Sanguinary Crusaders

Except for the point where Russ show his jentleman side by threatening Lion for his own SW sons mistake.

I don't see the problem here. Sounds pretty realistic to me.

Previously known as Telanicus

Sanguinary Crusader Page (Lore, Models, Etc)
IT Warriors of Cain Unholy Chosen

The Four Star Pact (Chaos Alliance Lore, Model, Etc)

R_F_D

R_F_D

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 431 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels

Lolz that old chestnut (hasten to add, I have no problems with what they are)

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,997 posts
On the Primarch novellas

Guilliman - 7/10
Russ - 8.5/10
Magnus - have not read but sounds like maybe an 8

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

++ PRÆCEPTOR BARBATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,955 posts

Except for the point where Russ show his jentleman side by threatening Lion for his own SW sons mistake.

And it gets more realistic when you re-read it. 

'Let it be heard,' he said, a soft growl that nevertheless carried to all quarters. 'You were wronged. We wronged you. I come here for your pardon.'

The Lion smiled thinly, and finally extended his hands in greeting. He came forwards and took Russ by both arms. 'It is given,' he said, less sourly now, though still with that sonorous seriousness of purpose that seemed to mark his every word. 'For those are noble words.'

Russ gripped him back, making the embrace closer and dragging the Lion's ear to his fanged mouth. 'I said them for your knights,' Russ hissed, now in his brother's hearing alone. 'I'll add this, just between us - if you ever fire on my sons again, boy, I'll rip your throat out and eat it. How do you like that oath?' The Lion sprung back, startled. It looked as though he couldn't be sure if it was a jest or not, and his expression tightened with sudden wariness.

Chris Wraight. Leman Russ: The Great Wolf (Kindle Locations 1430-1438). 

Russ didnt threaten the Lion for the mistakes of the Wolves, he threatened the Lion because the Dark Angels open fired on the Wolves. 
Sure, the Wolves ignoring the hails of the Dark Angels was stupid, purely plot required stupidity.

But the Dark Angels replied in kind, then the Lion moved to humiliate a primarch in front of both Legions. Which Russ allowed to happen to diffuse the tension as much as possible.

• Arkangilos, DarkChaplain, HeritorA and 2 others like this

Space Wolves are badasses that operate just barely within the rules. 13th Co. didn't even know there were rules applying to how badass they could be. DepthCharge on the Space Wolves

I'm so pleased that GW have gone to such great lengths to produce these awesome Space Wolves basing kits. Wraithwing on the Thousand Sons Rubic Marine release

"The Fell Hand is a name that has been passed on through out the Legion. When one warrior bearing it died, the name is left to be earned by another. Thus it was passed from Floki to Volund to Erik to Geigor. And then the tradition died, because censored.gif Bjorn got the name and proceeded to live for 10 censored.gifmillenia." - Sagas of the Wolf Priests. Wispy

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,997 posts
I think Russ' anger is a realistic symptom of Russ' personality

In this situation, I don't think Russ' anger is justified.

His men ignore hails, his men blow up a bunch of DA.

That would be extreme recklessness at the cost of allied lives. Recklessness is something the Wolves are known to exhibit when lusting for action. Furthermore, Russ and the VIth treat Dulan as a race against the Lion and the Ist, to prove the VIth's detractors wrong.

In conclusion...it's less random, plot-induced stupidity and more in-character recklessness under the circumstances IMO.

As for the whole apology business...OK, so the Lion pressures Russ to issue a public apology rather than a private one. How is that unreasonable? SW rush in and blow up DA, not the other way around. A public apology is owed to the Ist, in my view.

A more stubborn Lion could've insisted that in addition to a public apology, Russ should impose serious punishment upon the most reckless offenders. A vindictive Lion would probably leverage the Wulfen mutation against the VIth after this event.

Russ gets off very easy IMO.

Edited by b1soul, 14 February 2017 - 02:41 AM.

• Augustus and rendingon1+ like this

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

++ PRÆCEPTOR BARBATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,955 posts

That would be extreme recklessness at the cost of allied lives. Recklessness is something the Wolves are known to exhibit when lusting for action. Furthermore, Russ and the VIth treat Dulan as a race against the Lion and the Ist, to prove the VIth's detractors wrong.

In conclusion...it's less random, plot-induced stupidity and more in-character recklessness under the circumstances IMO.

As for the whole apology business...OK, so the Lion pressures Russ to issue a public apology rather than a private one. How is that unreasonable? SW rush in and blow up DA, not the other way around. A public apology is owed to the Ist, in my view.

A more stubborn Lion could've insisted that in addition to a public apology, Russ should impose serious punishment upon the most reckless offenders. A vindictive Lion would probably leverage the Wulfen mutation against the VIth after this event.

Reckless action is something we DONT see in 30k Space Wolves. Much of the action sequences we have of them show a very calculated approach to battle, not the raving berserker they appear to be.

40k I'd agree with you, but much of 30k shows a different Wolves. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The apology. Let's remember the scene.

The Wolves rush in, attack and enemy ship and unintentionally kill Dark Angels.

The Dark Angels very intentionally open fire upon the Wolves in response. 

So, one is an accident created by ignorance, another a near act of war between allies.

Then, rather than taking the apology between equals (as they are), the Lion turns it into a ceremony of sorts and humiliates Russ. Russ, seeing the slight was started by his side, takes the humiliation publicly but sets the matter straight(er) in private between him and the Lion.

Russ is the 2nd Primarch to be found. He is a proud being. For him to submit to the humiliation is huge, but he does because of the severity of the offense.

The only bit I agree your view is that the Lion could have leveraged the Wulfen against Russ. I wish that were further elaborated on, but if wishes were fishes nobody would ever go hungry

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,578 posts
  • Faction: Inkspillers
As the cover image for the upcoming collection suggested, we're getting The Soul-Severed by Wraight as part of it. Tell me they're adapting it from the audio drama

Edited by bluntblade, 14 February 2017 - 10:53 AM.

Humble scrivener (alternate Episode IX attempt now in-progress), caretaker of the Lightning Bearers and member of the Broken Throne alt-Heresy project

Taliesin

Taliesin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,140 posts

It's an audio anthology, this collection.

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,291 posts

Yep, just a CD including The Soul, Severed, Perpetual and Valerius.

HeritorA

HeritorA

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 3,552 posts

And I'll keep making the argument that Guilliman had neat themes and seeing his role as a builder of empires and believer in symbolism where he also had to weigh it up against his pragmatism was cool to see. It showed many of his concerns, the way he led his Legion pre-Heresy, the Ultramarines' feelings after Monarchia and so much more, all dressed up in an escalating war against some ork remnants. It flowed well, despite the focus on battles, and explored the Destroyers in ways they've not been before.

They are novellas - 126 pages is not a novel. BL to cover it's tracks and issues with authors being busy created a new slot - called 'short novels' by them. But that slot is called - novella.

On the Primarch novellas

Guilliman - 7/10
Russ - 8.5/10
Magnus - have not read but sounds like maybe an 8

Guilliman - 2/10

Russ - 8/10

Magnus - 5/10

And it gets more realistic when you re-read it. 

'Let it be heard,' he said, a soft growl that nevertheless carried to all quarters. 'You were wronged. We wronged you. I come here for your pardon.'

The Lion smiled thinly, and finally extended his hands in greeting. He came forwards and took Russ by both arms. 'It is given,' he said, less sourly now, though still with that sonorous seriousness of purpose that seemed to mark his every word. 'For those are noble words.'

Russ gripped him back, making the embrace closer and dragging the Lion's ear to his fanged mouth. 'I said them for your knights,' Russ hissed, now in his brother's hearing alone. 'I'll add this, just between us - if you ever fire on my sons again, boy, I'll rip your throat out and eat it. How do you like that oath?' The Lion sprung back, startled. It looked as though he couldn't be sure if it was a jest or not, and his expression tightened with sudden wariness.

Chris Wraight. Leman Russ: The Great Wolf (Kindle Locations 1430-1438). 

Russ didnt threaten the Lion for the mistakes of the Wolves, he threatened the Lion because the Dark Angels open fired on the Wolves. 
Sure, the Wolves ignoring the hails of the Dark Angels was stupid, purely plot required stupidity.

But the Dark Angels replied in kind, then the Lion moved to humiliate a primarch in front of both Legions. Which Russ allowed to happen to diffuse the tension as much as possible.

How exactly would any person will react - if you intentionally kill their brothers? I think DA opening fire is the actual behavior that you will get in that case.

Exactly. Fully agree with you b1soul!

Reckless action is something we DONT see in 30k Space Wolves. Much of the action sequences we have of them show a very calculated approach to battle, not the raving berserker they appear to be.

40k I'd agree with you, but much of 30k shows a different Wolves. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The apology. Let's remember the scene.

The Wolves rush in, attack and enemy ship and unintentionally kill Dark Angels.

The Dark Angels very intentionally open fire upon the Wolves in response. 

So, one is an accident created by ignorance, another a near act of war between allies.

Then, rather than taking the apology between equals (as they are), the Lion turns it into a ceremony of sorts and humiliates Russ. Russ, seeing the slight was started by his side, takes the humiliation publicly but sets the matter straight(er) in private between him and the Lion.

Russ is the 2nd Primarch to be found. He is a proud being. For him to submit to the humiliation is huge, but he does because of the severity of the offense.

The only bit I agree your view is that the Lion could have leveraged the Wulfen against Russ. I wish that were further elaborated on, but if wishes were fishes nobody would ever go hungry

I do understand that by the human logic of loving something you can't see the obvious flaws.

'The Wolves rush in, attack and enemy ship and unintentionally kill Dark Angels.'  - they were hailed repeteadly for several minutes by DA. They intentionally decided not to reply.

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

++ PRÆCEPTOR BARBATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,955 posts
If the wolves had intentionally open fired on the dark angels, I would 110% agree with you.

But out of ignorance (that is largely out of character in their 30k presentation so far) they open fire on an enemy ship that had dark angels on board.

So they accidentally, through ignorance, kill dark angels.

The dark angels, on purpose, open fired on their allies and then the Lion went out of his way to my humiliate his brother.

Neither side came out looking particularly well here
  • Kelborn likes this

Runefyre

Runefyre

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,847 posts
  • Faction: VI legion

The sum of it is, the Dark Angels shows just as little restraint as the Wolves, but with potentially even more devastating consequences. You had allied capital ships almost destroying each other while you have an extremely advanced civilization's homeworld actively trying to kill you. Both sides made mistakes, and almost paid for it. The Wolves were the only ones willing to admit it.

• HeritorA and Kelborn like this

He is the Lord of Winter and War

He is the Executioner, and the most Loyal Son

He is the Fury and Savagery of the Storm

He is the Vengeance of a Galaxy Wronged

He is the Father of Heros, He Has Come

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users