Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Upcoming BL stuff

• Please log in to reply
1313 replies to this topic

Taliesin

Taliesin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 785 posts

So many good books coming out!

I have to say though, for some reason the new Black Library pre-order thing with books is really annoying to me. Wonder why they started doing that.

The thing that really annoys me about it is that if you pre-order a book, you’ve still got to wait as long for it to be delivered as if you ordered it on day of release. I’m sure they could dispatch it so that it arrived then like many other companies do.

I mean, I still do pre-order things, but resentfully...

I feel you. I preorder a lot of books almost 9 months in advance via Amazon, and often they somehow fail to stock them at Amazon Germany, resulting in 3 week delays past the release date for me. I STILL haven't gotten my Ciaphas Cain Omnibus 3, either. It was supposed to be delivered a month ago, then went basically into availability limbo. 

This is the downside of Amazon.de for me as well. I've noticed that they will say that a book is available on a certain date ( take for instance the upcoming Fire and Blood by George RR Martin) , and then when that date comes, they don't have stock, they never seem to order in. Whereas Amazon.com actually does ship on day of release. Of course, for us Europeans that is not what we want as they have much higher shipping costs and longer transit time.

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,528 posts

As a rule of thumb, I've made it a habit to ALWAYS call them up about those issues, multiple times for longer delays even. It seemed to have helped with one publisher at least, though the last two times might have been flukes. I'll be more certain next month, when volume 8 releases...

It's strange that it keeps happening to BL now as well, though. In my experience, they were among the most reliable preorders. Sure, they were delayed a week or two from the BL/GW direct launch, but they were never actually short on stock and they sold well enough over here that they prepared ahead of time.

I can only imagine that it's down to BL's massive expansion in their own German branch. Almost every major novel release has been translated and published within a short window of the original English release, and they've got a ton of older works coming on top of them. I wonder if either BL or Amazon are making a conscious decision somewhere in the supply chain to lower the priority of English editions for releases that have German copies coming soon after. Generally you'd expect those to be more popular/accessible to the native customer base, at least.

Fun fact: The aforementioned Ciaphas Cain Omnibus 3 is now back to "usually available within 1-3 months", when yesterday they had it on "Unavailable". There appear to be no other sellers listed as you would expect from other books, not even Bookdepository. The ONLY two marketplace sellers are scalpers who try to sell a book priced at 20€ officially via the publisher for either 35€ or a staggering 71€.

Almost makes me wonder if BL really did screw up the Ciaphas Cain Omnibus 3 launch. Did anybody get their copy yet?

Roomsky

Roomsky

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 475 posts

As a rule of thumb, I've made it a habit to ALWAYS call them up about those issues, multiple times for longer delays even. It seemed to have helped with one publisher at least, though the last two times might have been flukes. I'll be more certain next month, when volume 8 releases...

It's strange that it keeps happening to BL now as well, though. In my experience, they were among the most reliable preorders. Sure, they were delayed a week or two from the BL/GW direct launch, but they were never actually short on stock and they sold well enough over here that they prepared ahead of time.

I can only imagine that it's down to BL's massive expansion in their own German branch. Almost every major novel release has been translated and published within a short window of the original English release, and they've got a ton of older works coming on top of them. I wonder if either BL or Amazon are making a conscious decision somewhere in the supply chain to lower the priority of English editions for releases that have German copies coming soon after. Generally you'd expect those to be more popular/accessible to the native customer base, at least.

Fun fact: The aforementioned Ciaphas Cain Omnibus 3 is now back to "usually available within 1-3 months", when yesterday they had it on "Unavailable". There appear to be no other sellers listed as you would expect from other books, not even Bookdepository. The ONLY two marketplace sellers are scalpers who try to sell a book priced at 20€ officially via the publisher for either 35€ or a staggering 71€.

Almost makes me wonder if BL really did screw up the Ciaphas Cain Omnibus 3 launch. Did anybody get their copy yet?

Best I can pitch in is that here in Canada the third omnibus landed on bookstore shelves about a week after the website launch. Amazon.ca has a few new copies on order, and the physical release has apparently vanished off the BL website. Very odd.

Considering how awesome the cover for Blades of the Traitor was, Morty looks a bit doofy on The Buried Dagger. How Garro will manage to be involved in both plots is beyond me, though I suppose we'll just have to wait and see. Hoping we get a bit more of Barbaran culture than Swallow dragging out what everyone already new from codices this time.

• DarkChaplain and Orwell84 like this

caladancid

caladancid

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 430 posts
I have wondered for the past few months if something strange is going on with Black Library. The preorders are all over the place, some books aren’t even available as eBooks on BL.com (only on amazon), the website is poor in reliability, etc.

For what it’s worth, I got my Cain 3 omnibus very soon after release day through amazon.

Orwell84

Orwell84

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 89 posts

Considering how awesome the cover for Blades of the Traitor was, Morty looks a bit doofy on The Buried Dagger. How Garro will manage to be involved in both plots is beyond me, though I suppose we'll just have to wait and see. Hoping we get a bit more of Barbaran culture than Swallow dragging out what everyone already new from codices this time.

Agreed. Was a bit disappointed to learn that Garro and Malcador would be taking up part of a book supposed to be about the XIV and Morty's fall. Granted they've had more appearances in the past three to four years than earlier and much of that was Wraight's skillful handling.

• Roomsky likes this

Mellow

Mellow

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,198 posts
All these delivery woes make me glad I went ebook only years ago :)

aa.logan

aa.logan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 52 posts
  • Faction: Tanks

Well in that case, let me complain about ebooks costing more than paperbacks...
  • Xisor and DarkChaplain like this

veterannoob

veterannoob

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,018 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard 14th Legion

I'm on to Titandeath before (or while) the novellas. Tough choice.

ooh, what to read first?

45564880_10156524506680837_5668798308877

• Orwell84 likes this

Mellow

Mellow

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,198 posts

WHAT!!!!!!! ohmygodthatsimpossible!

Punishing Pete

Punishing Pete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 457 posts

WHAT!!!!!!! ohmygodthatsimpossible!

I don’t buy ebooks so I did not know that. That’s insane. I wouldn’t read an ebook if you gave me it free never mind charging more!

Burni

Burni

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 239 posts
I’m an avid ebook reader as it means my book is always in my pocket and I can read it in the dark (while my toddler is going to sleep for example). But yeah the pricing sucks and they never go on sale. It’s pretty funny that the ebook matches the edition too, released with hardback? Hardback price. Softback edtion now out months later? Same ebook is now cheaper.

Anyway, sorry to continue the derailing...

Am looking forward to 2019 BL’s releases. After falling out with HH when it became a full time job to keep up with all the novellas etc, am looking forward the Siege as it sounds much easier to follow. Not sure what to make of Horror but will look out for any titles that sound interesting. Hopefully there’ll be some more dark millennium stuff.

Punishing Pete

Punishing Pete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 457 posts
My Dad who is also an avid reader recently bought a kindle oasis and he raves about it. He has cancer and bought it for easy reading during long chemotherapy sessions. I was pretty stunned he likes it so much. He was telling me how cheap the books were. He’s not a BL fan obviously!

aa.logan

aa.logan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 52 posts
  • Faction: Tanks

I’m an avid ebook reader as it means my book is always in my pocket and I can read it in the dark (while my toddler is going to sleep for example). But yeah the pricing sucks and they never go on sale. It’s pretty funny that the ebook matches the edition too, released with hardback? Hardback price. Softback edtion now out months later? Same ebook is now cheaper.
Anyway, sorry to continue the derailing...

It’s actually inconsistent, and if we’re talking about future releases has made me delay the purchase of several books, because it isn’t always clear how much the ‘paperback’ ebook will end up costing- for example, Sons of the Hydra is £9.99 for the ebook and £8.99 for the physical paperback

https://www.blacklib...ydra-ebook.html

Not quite sure why the pricing should be hardback>ebook>paperback, when if a book goes paperback first, the ebook is cheaper. I know it’s only a quid, but still...
  • DarkChaplain and caladancid like this

Tymell

Tymell

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 515 posts

I think the podcast Sons of Heresy interview the author who confirms it is a split two story that is connected via Garro.

Swallow spoke about this at Warhammerfest in Dusselforf. It is a Death Guard book and there will be lots of them in it, but it is indeed split with that other storyline, there is a lot happening on Terra which he wanted to cover. So yes, definitely a split. Malcador, Garro, he clearly wanted to cover that as well.

Possibly similar in that sense to Old Earth.

Hmm, that's what I was afraid of. I'm trying not to pre-judge here, but that definitely concerns me. With Old Earth I think it works fine, since the Salamanders don't really -need- any more coverage (granted, I feel they are sorely lacking in terms of legion identity/culture and good characters, but in terms of pure page count, they can afford to share a novel). But the Death Guard feel like they should really have this one all to themselves.

I feel a sense of impending dread, and not in the good way :P Still, we'll see.

Edited by Tymell, 11 November 2018 - 10:19 PM.

• DarkChaplain and Orwell84 like this
---------------------------
(On-going) HH project, characters, timeline points, ships - https://sites.google...ellsheresy/home

Feel free to PM in case of missing info or sudden but inevitable errors!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users