Claws and Effect's WIP thread.

Claws and Effect

Okay, because I like you guys. 

First up is the Chaplain. He started out as what was going to be a Devastator Sergeant. Then I had the idea to turn the axe into a crozius, and Bob's your uncle. 

IMG 20170617 100051

IMG 20170617 100104

IMG 20170617 100116

Next up is the Techmarine. I've had the servo arm and axe for probably 20 years, but I lost the rest of the model a few moves ago (10-15 years or so). Didn't have any Khorne Red at the time, so I used Mephiston Red and just coated the whole thing in Nuln Oil. 

IMG 20170617 100134

IMG 20170617 100145

IMG 20170617 100159

So there they are, a couple quick and dirty kitbashes to give me some more HQ to work with. I used mostly Forge World parts for the main bodies. I got a MkIV heavy support squad a while back and decided I didn't want a whole squad of MkIV with lascannons. So I used a couple for other things. 

Changed my display name. This is the name I use on pretty much every other website.

I didn't use it here initially because I wasn't sure if spaces were allowed and I hate underscores.

I'll leave my profile pic for a while until y'all get used to the new name.

Claws and Effect was my main character in the MMO City of Heroes. I met my wife in the game and they shut it down, so I like to remember it. Hence the name.

It also fits with my obsession with Lightning claws, so that's a nice bonus.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update on what I've been working on lately. 

First up, the Sternguard Squad I promised a while back. First a group shot:

IMG 20170709 005500

Forgot a couple shoulder pads, but that's easy enough to fix out of the crapton I have. And, yep, that's my beautiful beast behind them ;)

Next up is the heavy flamer hose conversion I thought turned out pretty good. 

IMG 20170709 005522

I used a hair tie for it, with a cut up and drilled out vox unit serving as the mount on the tank side. It's quick, easy, and cheap. 

Finally, a full shot of my Heresy relic Fire Raptor. I plan on doing it in late Heresy/Scouring era paint, as though it has been around that long and they just never felt the need for a repaint.

IMG 20170709 005413

Nice!

But what is a late Heresy/Scouring era paint on vehicles and how does one recognize it?

Honestly I'm not sure. But I'm pretty sure Google knows. 

It might be easier to just do XIXth Legion paintwork and make it a Crusade relic instead. One key difference is unlike my other vehicles this one won't have any Company markings. 

I will probably not be vowing the Raptor. Most of my stuff is just painted to table top quality. I intend to make the Fire Raptor the centerpiece of my army and will be putting every ounce of skill I have into it. The fact that some of the pieces still aren't straight is driving me nuts, but you can't tell they aren't straight until they're in place. 

Trying out a new idea for some variety.

Since my army will be led by Shrike, who is now the Chapter Master, I don't have to stick with strictly the 3rd Company.

I imagine Shrike can pull a squad or two from any company he wants to form a force he personally leads.

That opens up the ability to paint orange, gray, and blue pauldron trim. Just for variety.

I'll post some pics when I get some of the pads repainted.

• 2 months later...

Wow, I haven't updated this thread in a while.

I have news, with pics coming tomorrow (today by the time anyone reads this I suppose)

1) Fire Raptor build is DONE!!! (!). There are still a couple fiddly spots that are driving me bonkers (anyone else have trouble with the bolt cannon housing/nosecone?), but I realized that if I obsessed over every tiny thing I'd never get it done. Going to hit it with some Krylon Satin Black Paint + Primer on the next nice day (Likely Sunday). I noticed I had to use a LOT of Chaos Black spray to get the coverage I wanted on resin, and I really didn't want to use most of a $17 can of spray paint on one thing (it's a little bigger than a Stormraven if you've never seen one in person).

2) Someone got the parts he needed to get his Shrike kitbash started. I'll let you guess who.

Okay, yeah, it's me.

I bought Edryc Setorax, dry assembled him, and immediately hacked him apart without mercy. He donated his claws and jump pack to the cause. Because I like the curve his claws have, and his jump pack is the only one other than Shrike's that has the grenade launcher mounted on it. I used a set of Vanguard legs and a torso from the Forge World Raven Guard Upgrade kit. I've been saving this one, it's the one with the corvia on it. And I'm using the skull-like MkVI helmet from the same kit.

And I managed to get him into a really cool pose. By accident actually. I let go of him and he shifted just right.....and stayed. Without glue. I considered it a sign and immediately glued his legs in that spot.

3) I have some work to get done on my Whirlwind, too. Just waiting on the turret to arrive from Poland (Kromlech).

Once I have those things done, my tourney list will be ready. I may not finish Shrike by then. I only have 2 weeks and I want to take my time with him.

IMG 20171006 083051

I thought the pose was pretty cool on this one. Like he's leaping to his left in preparation to strike with his right claw.

Like I said, total accident. I let go of him and he actually stayed like that, so he's perfectly balanced.

• 2 weeks later...