Jolemai

So out of curiosity, how hard/easy has everyone found their first greenstuff/sculpting work to be? I have been mulling it over with a possible second vow but I feel like the internet makes sculpting seem way easier than it actually is. Thoughts? Encouragements?

As with painting it requires some experience and proper tools&techniques. Keep practicing but don't expect the most awesome greenstuff sculpts anytime soon. :D

Ok here goes

I, Gav1892, rise to the challenge of The Great Baalite Bake Off and vow to kitbash the following on or before April 3rd, 2017. Success will bring honour to the Blood Angels

1 Captain Aphael (with Command Squad because why not)

1 Librarian

1 Chaplain

1 Sanguinary Priest (1 ooc Medicus Primae Priest Conversion)

1 chopped and modified Commander Dante

Maybe some more depending on what i have lying around

Welcome and vows logged! Please read up on the parts restrictions and the FAQ on what's required for each model if you haven't already :)

Finished my new version of Captain Aphael for my newly redesigned 2nd company

Old Aphael

med_gallery_60125_10160_854017.jpg

New Kit bashed version

med_gallery_60125_10855_1247579.jpg

med_gallery_60125_10855_813934.jpg

med_gallery_60125_10855_884722.jpg

med_gallery_60125_10855_567978.jpg

med_gallery_60125_10855_668060.jpg

The parts list if I can remember correctly is

Torso and Legs - FW Legion Centurion

Head - BA Upgrade kit

Power Pack - Command Squad

Iron Halo - BA upgrade kit

Right Arm - Command Squad

Plasma Pistol - B&C MK4 kit

Left Arm - BA Tactical Squad

Shoulder Pads - Right side from Command Squad, left side I think is DC

Power Sword - BA Tac Squad

Congratulations on making a very good rendition of Alphael, I'm sure he'll be great to paint. However, he will be signed off as an OOC entry as you have used the torso and the legs from an existing model.

Finished my BA Librarian to add to my painting queue

med_gallery_60125_10855_467287.jpg

med_gallery_60125_10855_1123115.jpg

med_gallery_60125_10855_1324437.jpg

med_gallery_60125_10855_550896.jpg

Parts list

Torso - DA veteran (someone put it in an eBay order by mistake), logos removed and green stuff over

Power Pack - BA Tactical Squad I think

Right Arm - Standard Tactical Squad

Power Weapon - Grey Knights wardens stave

Right Shoulder - Deathwatch model

Head - Deathwatch model

Left Arm - Death Company with flamer

Left Shoulder - BA Upgrade kit

I like how mysterious he looks and never thought to use a DA hood on a Librarian :) You haven't mentioned where the legs are from? Is it the same piece as the torso? Only if that's the case then this will be OOC too...

Love what I'm seeing! Great work, everyone. I think I'm ready to go for number two!

I, Grazcruzk, rise to the challenge of The Great Baalite Bake Off and vow to kitbash DC Tycho, an ooc DC Chaplain, and an ooc Librarian. on or before April 3rd, 2017. Success will bring honour to the Scarlet Mantle, whilst failure is not an option...  

The two ooc entries are older 3/4 metal guys that I'll only be adding new backpacks and arms to.

Subsequent vow logged :thumbsup:

I, the Psycho, rise to the challenge of The Great Baalite Bake Off and vow to kitbash a Captain of the IX Legion on or before April 3rd, 2017. Success will bring honour to Azra'il Company, IX Legion element, Battlegroup Nehvra. Failure is absolutely unacceptable.

Happy to accommodate you again fellow 30k ancestor :smile.: I'm sure it will be fine, but if you have any queries about making it Codex-legal then feel free to ask.

Sorry, but you need to finish your other one first...

Oops, didnt realise!

Captain Raxiatel, Caller of the Fires

Front

gallery_58096_11797_301743.jpg

Left side

gallery_58096_11797_78287.jpg

Right Side

gallery_58096_11797_185213.jpg

Rear

gallery_58096_11797_40797.jpg

Angle

gallery_58096_11797_402234.jpg

Parts used:

Ravenwing black knight bike and legs

ravenwing command torso

ravenwing black knight arms

blood angels upgrade sprue death mask

calth mk4 marine shoulder pads

deathwatch heavy thunder hammer

vanguard veteran thunder hammer

blood angels tactical squad backpack and shoulder pad (for blood drop and chalice icons respectively)

space marine standard topper

green stuff for artificer legs

space marine tactical back pack

skulls from imperial sector basing kit.

I, Xenith rise to the challenge of The Great Baalite Bake Off and vow to kitbash one Death Company Chaplain and Mephiston, Lord of Death, as an out of comp entry, on or before April 3rd, 2017. Success will bring honour to the Blood Angels 4th Company, whilst failure is not to be contemplated.

Ave Sanguinius.

Cheers, second vow has been logged - this is also our first Mephiston entry!

Question about the bike though, what weapon is that on the front of it? :unsure.:

Sorry, but you need to finish your other one first...

Oops, didnt realise!

Captain Raxiatel, Caller of the Fires

Front

gallery_58096_11797_301743.jpg

Left side

gallery_58096_11797_78287.jpg

Right Side

gallery_58096_11797_185213.jpg

Rear

gallery_58096_11797_40797.jpg

Angle

gallery_58096_11797_402234.jpg

Parts used:

Ravenwing black knight bike and legs

ravenwing command torso

ravenwing black knight arms

blood angels upgrade sprue death mask

calth mk4 marine shoulder pads

deathwatch heavy thunder hammer

vanguard veteran thunder hammer

blood angels tactical squad backpack and shoulder pad (for blood drop and chalice icons respectively)

space marine standard topper

green stuff for artificer legs

space marine tactical back pack

skulls from imperial sector basing kit.

I, Xenith rise to the challenge of The Great Baalite Bake Off and vow to kitbash one Death Company Chaplain and Mephiston, Lord of Death, as an out of comp entry, on or before April 3rd, 2017. Success will bring honour to the Blood Angels 4th Company, whilst failure is not to be contemplated.

Ave Sanguinius.

Cheers, second vow has been logged - this is also our first Mephiston entry!

Question about the bike though, what weapon is that on the front of it? :unsure.:

It's a radical grenade launcher, standard kit for the Ravenwing. I'll be counting it as a combi grav.

OK, just finished a heresy project, so I've rummaged around in my bits box and know what I'm making now. Therefore, I vow as follows, first:

I, The Father Mapple, rise to the challenge of The Great Baalite Bake Off and vow to kitbash one Death Company Chaplain, equipped with a jump pack, crozius, and inferno pistol, on or before April 3rd, 2017. Success will bring honour to the Blood Suns successor chapter, whilst failure is not an option...

If I finish this one and can find the dreadnought parts I've apparently put in a very, very safe place, I'll do a librarian dreadnought next.

Vows

Vows are any unit that can legally be chosen to represent a Blood Angels force in the 40k universe at the time of writing:

• Any HQ choice from Codex: Blood Angels
  • Anything from the following list:
  • Captain Karlaen
  • Cassor the Damned
  • Commander Dante
  • Cypher
  • Death Company chaplain
  • Gabriel Seth
  • Lemartes
  • Malakim Phoros

Sooo...Space Marine Command Tanks?  :-D

Edited by Xenith

So out of curiosity, how hard/easy has everyone found their first greenstuff/sculpting work to be? I have been mulling it over with a possible second vow but I feel like the internet makes sculpting seem way easier than it actually is. Thoughts? Encouragements?

Just started with the world of Green Stuff and finding it difficult to get what i want out of it

Ok here goes

I, Gav1892, rise to the challenge of The Great Baalite Bake Off and vow to kitbash the following on or before April 3rd, 2017. Success will bring honour to the Blood Angels

1 Captain Aphael (with Command Squad because why not)

1 Librarian

1 Chaplain

1 Sanguinary Priest (1 ooc Medicus Primae Priest Conversion)

1 chopped and modified Commander Dante

Maybe some more depending on what i have lying around

Welcome and vows logged! Please read up on the parts restrictions and the FAQ on what's required for each model if you haven't already :smile.:

Finished my new version of Captain Aphael for my newly redesigned 2nd company

Old Aphael

med_gallery_60125_10160_854017.jpg

New Kit bashed version

med_gallery_60125_10855_1247579.jpg

med_gallery_60125_10855_813934.jpg

med_gallery_60125_10855_884722.jpg

med_gallery_60125_10855_567978.jpg

med_gallery_60125_10855_668060.jpg

The parts list if I can remember correctly is

Torso and Legs - FW Legion Centurion

Head - BA Upgrade kit

Power Pack - Command Squad

Iron Halo - BA upgrade kit

Right Arm - Command Squad

Plasma Pistol - B&C MK4 kit

Left Arm - BA Tactical Squad

Shoulder Pads - Right side from Command Squad, left side I think is DC

Power Sword - BA Tac Squad

Congratulations on making a very good rendition of Alphael, I'm sure he'll be great to paint. However, he will be signed off as an OOC entry as you have used the torso and the legs from an existing model.

Finished my BA Librarian to add to my painting queue

med_gallery_60125_10855_467287.jpg

med_gallery_60125_10855_1123115.jpg

med_gallery_60125_10855_1324437.jpg

med_gallery_60125_10855_550896.jpg

Parts list

Torso - DA veteran (someone put it in an eBay order by mistake), logos removed and green stuff over

Power Pack - BA Tactical Squad I think

Right Arm - Standard Tactical Squad

Power Weapon - Grey Knights wardens stave

Right Shoulder - Deathwatch model

Head - Deathwatch model

Left Arm - Death Company with flamer

Left Shoulder - BA Upgrade kit

I like how mysterious he looks and never thought to use a DA hood on a Librarian :smile.: You haven't mentioned where the legs are from? Is it the same piece as the torso? Only if that's the case then this will be OOC too...

Yeah to be honest just looked through and i reckon its all going to be OOC stuff (grrrrr). The Libby head came from a Deathwatch model that i ordered off eBay to use to various bits seperately.

Im going to still add my vow as OOC stuff if your happy with that as it will give me a reason to keep putting conversions together

Yeah, pretty much what sfPanzer said ... on the whole I'd say the internet does make it seem easier than it is, however, with practice you can definitely develop some skills. My first ever attempts with green stuff were pretty awful and I still shy away from it, but I've gotten better and have been able to have some good results with simple stuff like a sash.

Bear in mind that people with little GS practice don't really show it off so much, or make tutorials, so what you see on the internet is a subset of GS users with a relatively higher skillset (due to practice).

I think making good looking armour ribbing between joints on SM armour is one of the most useful but challenging things you can do with GS. Have a go at that til you get it right then you can do loads of stuff.

In my case, I am looking at doing a robe like outfit. It's going to be over BA branded armor (shooting for mk4 like). But since they will be running, I need GS to work better with the pose.

Think Mephiston and the Sanguinary Priest (clampack) but with half the collar size. Using running legs from VV sprue. Really technically difficult in my mind since any DA robes are very static and boring.

Edited by Spagunk

Well, this may be a sign from Sanguinius/the Emperor ... looking randomly in my box of ancient WHFB bitz, I found a set of wings that would be perfect for a Sanguinor conversion I've been mulling. That saves me about $20 CDN based on various wing options I had priced out on eBay and bitz dealers.

Now, if I can source one other part I need for my idea at a reasonable price, then I'll throw my hat into this event.

I assume that metal wings would have no impact on in/out of competition since in the rules I see mention only of legs, arms, torso, and head for calculating % allowed of metal or Finecast/resin.

In my case, I am looking at doing a robe like outfit. It's going to be over BA branded armor (shooting for mk4 like). But since they will be running, I need GS to work better with the pose.

Think Mephiston and the Sanguinary Priest (clampack) but with half the collar size. Using running legs from VV sprue. Really technically difficult in my mind since any DA robes are very static and boring.

I do agree that the internet does make sculpting seem a lot easier than it actually is, but I suppose it comes down to if you're willing to waste some GS in the beginning to practice and build your experience. The right tools also make a difference, like with metal tools or rubber tipped color shapers (as well as some sort of lubricant like vaseline or water when sculpting). A good tip for working with GS is to not try and do everything all at once. Since you're thinking of doing robes it would be better to cover the model with GS in the places you wanted robes first and let it cure before sculpting the folds into the robes.  For more static objects GS isn't actually that difficult but things like robes or capes that flow can get more difficult. Alternatively, with some converting I think you could use the Mechanicus Electropriest robes with Vanguard Veteran legs to work? Hope that helps a bit.

OK, just finished a heresy project, so I've rummaged around in my bits box and know what I'm making now. Therefore, I vow as follows, first:

I, The Father Mapple, rise to the challenge of The Great Baalite Bake Off and vow to kitbash one Death Company Chaplain, equipped with a jump pack, crozius, and inferno pistol, on or before April 3rd, 2017. Success will bring honour to the Blood Suns successor chapter, whilst failure is not an option...

If I finish this one and can find the dreadnought parts I've apparently put in a very, very safe place, I'll do a librarian dreadnought next.

Welcome to the event and vow logged :tu: Don't forget his rosarius!

Vows

Vows are any unit that can legally be chosen to represent a Blood Angels force in the 40k universe at the time of writing:

• Any HQ choice from Codex: Blood Angels
  • Anything from the following list:
  • Captain Karlaen
  • Cassor the Damned
  • Commander Dante
  • Cypher
  • Death Company chaplain
  • Gabriel Seth
  • Lemartes
  • Malakim Phoros

Sooo...Space Marine Command Tanks?  :-D

To be honest, I completely forgot about them! :blush.: However, as the Datasheet requires both tanks to appear, I'm not going to add them to the event - especially as there's just over a month remaining.

Well, this may be a sign from Sanguinius/the Emperor ... looking randomly in my box of ancient WHFB bitz, I found a set of wings that would be perfect for a Sanguinor conversion I've been mulling. That saves me about $20 CDN based on various wing options I had priced out on eBay and bitz dealers.

Now, if I can source one other part I need for my idea at a reasonable price, then I'll throw my hat into this event.

I assume that metal wings would have no impact on in/out of competition since in the rules I see mention only of legs, arms, torso, and head for calculating % allowed of metal or Finecast/resin.

No restrictions on wings (or heads for that matter).

Yeah to be honest just looked through and i reckon its all going to be OOC stuff (grrrrr). The Libby head came from a Deathwatch model that i ordered off eBay to use to various bits seperately.

Im going to still add my vow as OOC stuff if your happy with that as it will give me a reason to keep putting conversions together

By all means, knock them together so you have some stuff ready for the ETL. Whether they are OOC or not, you're still going to have some unique conversions for your army :thumbsup:

Thread updated to here

Another finished OOC entry my 8th chaplain for my new force

med_gallery_60125_10855_635282.jpg

med_gallery_60125_10855_491586.jpg

med_gallery_60125_10855_708132.jpg

med_gallery_60125_10855_1140531.jpg

Parts list

Torso legs and left arm - Deathwatch chaplain Cassius

Head - Command Squad

Right Arm - Sanguinary Guard Power fist

Right Shoulder - Death Company

Left Shoulder - Command Squad

Power Pack - FW MK4 Command Squad

I've finished my Death Company Chaplain.  Some parts are still connected with blu-tac as lately I have preferred to paint components separately.  He has a counts-as rosarius on the left shoulder pad.  His Gilded Crozius is represented by the rather substantial size and the more ornate head piece.  I like the aggressive pose, but the Night Lords skull mask is definitely my favorite part.  Had a lot of fun sifting through the parts boxes to make this guy. :smile.:

Front:

DC Chap front view

Angle:

DC Chap front 2

Right:

DC chap R

Left:

DC chap L

Back:

DC chap rear

As for parts, I used the following:

Head: FW Nightlords upgrade pack
Torso: GW Blood Angels upgrade pack
Legs: Sanguinary Guard box
Arms: DC box thunder hammer
Gilded Crozius: BA Terminators standard
Inferno pistol: Chopped off from a Sanguinary Guard arm
Jump pack: Lemartes blister pack
Left shoulder pad: Sternguard box (has counts-as rosarius)
Right shoulder pad: DC box

Edited by Hannibaal

I've finished my Death Company Chaplain.  Some parts are still connected with blu-tac as lately I have preferred to paint components separately.  He has a counts-as rosarius on the left shoulder pad.  His Gilded Crozius is represented by the rather substantial size and the more ornate head piece.  I like the aggressive pose, but the Night Lords skull mask is definitely my favorite part.  Had a lot of fun sifting through the parts boxes to make this guy. :smile.:

Front:

Right:
Left:
Back:

As for parts, I used the following:

Head: FW Nightlords upgrade pack
Torso: GW Blood Angels upgrade pack
Legs: Sanguinary Guard box
Arms: DC box thunder hammer
Gilded Crozius: BA Terminators standard
Inferno pistol: Chopped off from a Sanguinary Guard arm
Jump pack: Lemartes blister pack
Left shoulder pad: Sternguard box (has counts-as rosarius)
Right shoulder pad: DC box

Cool DCC! You are missing the angled pic tho. ;)