The Wolfkin of Russ and Space Wolves Army Composition

Lord Blackwood

im putting them and Russ in a Dreadclaw at 3k

While they fit a primary without a real bodyguard is pretty easy to kill. A squad of myrmidons, anything custodes, plasma support squads, terminator units all love to fight solo primarchs. And really the wolves don't protect much. And because you can't join them anything s10 will instant remove both wolves.

You dont reckon Russ on the charge tears a bunch of terminators apart 

Or Myrmidons ? 

Custodes Im not sure

Plasma support squads again  firing in over watch might get a few shots through 

not to mention all these things have stuff like  the  leviathans dropping around them also turns into a problem XD 

If I wanted to take a real bodyguard kharybdis is the only reasonable option for a transport I reckon. 

You dont reckon Russ on the charge tears a bunch of terminators apart

Or Myrmidons ?

Custodes Im not sure

Plasma support squads again firing in over watch might get a few shots through

not to mention all these things have stuff like the leviathans dropping around them also turns into a problem XD

If I wanted to take a real bodyguard kharybdis is the only reasonable option for a transport I reckon.

If those myrmidons shoot you with their Grav guns they wound on 2's and you inly get a 4+ you just die to weight of fire on that 4+ it's what they do they speed bump you with some cheap unit and kill with the myrmidons. Remer you are assuming you get the charge on these units the whole point of these units is they are reactionary and also myrmidons will get interceptor due to those mechanicum servo skulls.

I honestly think the best option is Spartan/mastodon otherwise yoUllator kill something maybe but then open your self up to a world of hurt. Those units also hate to fight Leviathans due to their high av hut truly exist to kill primarchs. And while you'll kill some terminators you aren't angron they still have a 4++/3++ you still need to hit and wound a primarch hurts but they also get bogged down easily.

actually you know what , youve got a point , A terminator Command Squad may be a better investment of points to fill the same role and force org requirements take 4 of em and Russ and stick them in the dreadclaw  

You realize you dont disembark the dreadclaw the turn you come down ? 

And you can pretty easily on a populated table drop the Dreadclaw in a safe spot , move disembark and charge out of it  ?  

I think A spartan is more  likely to let you down against units that you mention ,  A mastadon maybe not , but imnot spending that kind of money 

actually you know what , youve got a point , A terminator Command Squad may be a better investment of points to fill the same role and force org requirements take 4 of em and Russ and stick them in the dreadclaw

Like I really didn't mean to take a dump on your parade as I to think Russ and Wolves is awesome it's just really unwieldy, from a fluff position it's great but just wasn't thought about when the wrote the rules. Like I like how they can take a transport but they really shouldn't have been forced to take the same one.

Oh You havent convinced me not to use a dreadclaw instead of a spartan , I think the change in bodyguard is a good idea though .

I think a dreadclaw can be okay though it's definitely points level dependent at 2k-2.5k I'd say sure at past 3k I don't know just cause they can die easily but so can everything.

At that level you can afford to bring a dreadnought pod or two to provide your Dreadclaw a 2+ jink save.

Also if grav is the concern the wolfkin's 5+ save is a boon. I don't know, I don't see a huge difference between 5 T4 terminator wounds and 8 T5 FNP 5+ save wounds if you're talking about Primarch-killing weaponry.

The tone of the SW rules should be all that is needed when deciding if you found a loop hole, but in this case.

Command squads take up the same slot as the Praetor/Legion Special Character, and are only treated as separate units "during the game", choice typically means slot on the detachment chart. I think in this case its a combination of wishful thinking and imprecise language. If you cross reference enough rules you can figure out how it is intended to work without bending the English language outside of normal conversation English.

​If you can't fill a box on the chart, you aren't a choice when it comes to being a SW, Cmd Sqds, Freki and Geri aren't going to fill a choice. I don't suggest you build your armies assuming you can because you are likely to just be disappointed and sore when it finally gets an faq.

I think the entries actually made the effort to address this yet the wording remained ambiguous:

wolfkin

"they are treated as a HQ choice so far as any special rule, objective or mission is concerned" (emphasis mine)

special rules

"Any detachment with the Legiones Astartes (Space Wolves) special rule must include at least 1 HQ unit per 1000 points......"
The mandatory HQs are a requisite brought about by applying the "Legiones Astartes (Space Wolves) special rule" to your army selection. The inclusion of the wolf kin complies with this.
MODS if the images are not allowed please delete, however as of last night i do own a copy of the book if that makes a difference.biggrin.png

Archived