Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Alternative Kataphrons

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Magos Takatus

Magos Takatus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,821 posts

That sounds awesome, CommodusXIII.  Maybe with a blend of the upcoming Karadron minis/bits?

Interesting ideas. The harpoon guns could stand in for Torsion cannons. Instead of ripping things to bits you make a giant shishkebab instead. :)

• Vel'Cona likes this

Formerly known as Flame Boy since about 1999. Time for a change! smile.png

My Adeptus Mechanicus Plog: http://www.bolterand...og-torburnides/

My Ork Plog: http://www.bolterand...oys-orky-horde/

https://www.instagra.../magos_takatus/

gallery_48988_15465_6059.png

Diegoepoimaria

Diegoepoimaria

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1 posts

Hi all

Sorry for resurrecting a topic so old, but I need to know ... are those MAGNIFICENT spider legs for the Kataphron availabe somewhere?

I've stumbled into this topic only yesterday, while looking for some converison ideas, and I have to say that they are truly amazing ... the idea of a swarm of kataphron moving around with their bigger brother Onager is amazing, and too good to let it by.

Also they share the rule of be able to avance only by D3 and does not suffer the penalty for moving and shooting ...

P.S: I've tried a search on this forum and on the net ... but no joy ...

synthaside

synthaside

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 320 posts
  • Faction: Ad Mech / Tyranids

If i recall they were a 3D print , done in resin , you could try pming the designer for a hint.

MY TOASTER .... MINE .... 

Son of Sacrifice

Son of Sacrifice

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 198 posts
I need 6 kataphron. The price tag on this kit is obscene. Really putting me off.

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16,312 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment

Has anyone tried Ambots as Kataphon yet? I was considering 6. 

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Black_Knight

Black_Knight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 929 posts
  • Faction: AdMech, DW, IK, Blood Ravens

How easy would it be to use some of the Necron Destroyers as a base, it is even Fluffy for a certain Forgeworld.

Edited by Black_Knight, 20 August 2019 - 12:23 PM.

gallery_48988_15465_45080.pnggallery_48988_15465_8206.pngETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_01.gif

Son of Sacrifice

Son of Sacrifice

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 198 posts
Ambots would fit for size, but they lack a big gun.
  • Marshal Rohr likes this

Vel'Cona

Vel'Cona

++ DUCTOR EXSANGUIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,843 posts
  • Faction: Chaos Space Marines

Ambots would fit for size, but they lack a big gun.

I've seen this done locally, typically by gluing spare bits to a shoulder.  It's a cool idea but a very expensive conversion, to say the least!

Seems like these models will never end!

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_02.jpgETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei01.jpggallery_48988_10069_10495.pngETL_Medal_02.gifETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_01.gif

Son of Sacrifice

Son of Sacrifice

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 198 posts
A box of 2 bots is £25 I think. So six ambots costs the same as six kataphrons. I just bit the bullet and bought the kataphrons -sigh-

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16,312 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment

I'm thinking the way to stretch the cost of Ambots as Kataphron is to buy 3 boxes of Ambots for six total, in two squads of 3 and two boxes of Kataphons for 6 total. Then use the Kataphron bodies as other models in your army. In 40k the options would be more limited, but for 30k I am considering making myrmidon's with them on tank treads, as if they've converted themselves into living tanks. However that does fly in the face of my 'everything walks' intention, so they might end up being discount Auxilia Quad-Mortars. 

Edited by Marshal Rohr, 04 September 2019 - 11:44 AM.

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Xisor

Xisor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,025 posts

Ambots do have grav/melta guns built in, don't they? It's not quite a torsion cannon - and you probably wouldn't want to use the torsion cannon anyway (single shot on low BS) - but it's a credible count-as.

FFS, though - actual rules for the Ambot would do the trick.

longjohnsilver

longjohnsilver

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 121 posts
  • Faction: Space Crows

A box of 2 bots is £25 I think. So six ambots costs the same as six kataphrons. I just bit the bullet and bought the kataphrons -sigh-

It's not so bad; the Adeptus Mechanicus kits are so full of extras you can always get both options out of the same kit with a few extras. These are my Destroyer(the one on the left), made with the extra bits from the Breacher with torsion cannon (on the right).

n57ikMt.jpg

More pictures:

Hidden Content

They were made with leftover kataphron destroyer bits, space marine tank turrets, an sm shoulder pad with the mechanicus symbol on it, part of the old imperial dozer blade base, clipper lighter central columns, marine rags, heavy bolter ammo, purestrain genestealer scything talons (blue becaue they were leftover from Lost Patrol), milliput dice cubes, paperclips, wire, milliput, an inline switch button, 60mm round bases, half an auspex and marine knives.
ETL_VI_Banner_ETL_VI_Magister_Faction_AsETL_VI_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_02_.jpgETL_Medal_01.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users