Interview with Laurie Goulding about BL / GW

hopkins

You know, based on what Laurie said in that interview, something just made a bit more sense in my head. A couple of years ago (maybe late 2015) I went to a 40k Open Day at WHW, and there was a seminar about how GW rules designers do their job. There was a large Tau battle suit that had just been released a couple of weeks prior which they based the seminar on, and it was two guys; one of the guys responsible for coming up with the rules and back story, and Laurie doing a 'seminar presenter' type role. It always seemed odd to me why Laurie, who I understood to be part of Black Library and not the mainstream GW entity, was heading up that seminar and put it down to them needing someone who could do that (previous experience at BL / HH Weekenders). It never actually occurred to me that as part of the Publications department Laurie was probably overseeing this other guy as he came up with the background and lore of this new Tau suit.

A-D-B I hope you don't mind me asking, but how does the change into multiple distribution formats (eBook, Hardback, Trade, Ltd Edition) effect the royalty payouts? Do authors gets more from the sale of a Ltd Edition or Hardback than an eBook or regular format? 

In terms of books grinding to a halt, Dan's and my outputs are probably the most obvious. I had a dark little laugh about it yesterday actually, as I was doing the introduction to The Black Legion, and re-read the intro to The Talon of Horus. I did a double-take when I saw that the Talon intro was dated "Aaron Dembski-Bowden, March 2014". As I wrote "Aaron Dembski-Bowden, February 2017" at the end of this one, it sank in a bit. The ideal release time for a sequel is a year after the previous book. This one is coming out over three years later.

It doesnt feel like 3 years, and I think its a testament to our appreciation of Talon that we are all still excited for The Black Legion. :]

Its kind of crazy its been 3 years actually, as its still sitting on my mantle very easily accessible instead of put away....

3 years is unacceptable.

You're not my mom.

Maybe, maybe not. But I can tell when you're not actively writing a novel because your forum posts increase. Like the rumour that you've finished writing the next black legion and *ding* here you are.

You should have started the 3rd book so as not to make us wait another 3 years!

;)

You know, based on what Laurie said in that interview, something just made a bit more sense in my head. A couple of years ago (maybe late 2015) I went to a 40k Open Day at WHW, and there was a seminar about how GW rules designers do their job. There was a large Tau battle suit that had just been released a couple of weeks prior which they based the seminar on, and it was two guys; one of the guys responsible for coming up with the rules and back story, and Laurie doing a 'seminar presenter' type role. It always seemed odd to me why Laurie, who I understood to be part of Black Library and not the mainstream GW entity, was heading up that seminar and put it down to them needing someone who could do that (previous experience at BL / HH Weekenders). It never actually occurred to me that as part of the Publications department Laurie was probably overseeing this other guy as he came up with the background and lore of this new Tau suit.

A-D-B I hope you don't mind me asking, but how does the change into multiple distribution formats (eBook, Hardback, Trade, Ltd Edition) effect the royalty payouts? Do authors gets more from the sale of a Ltd Edition or Hardback than an eBook or regular format?

I was under the impression they were paid on word count.

3 years is unacceptable.

You're not my mom.

Maybe, maybe not. But I can tell when you're not actively writing a novel because your forum posts increase. Like the rumour that you've finished writing the next black legion and *ding* here you are.

You should have started the 3rd book so as not to make us wait another 3 years!

msn-wink.gif

I was under the impression they were paid on word count.

Are you really pretending you know ADB work schedule based on his forum posts? Seriously? Be more respectful, dude.

Ran

3 years is unacceptable.

You're not my mom.

Dear God, no. I'm here because of the topic. Correlation does not imply causation, etc. Case in point, this weekend is an insane workload (probably the busiest for the last 6+ months), yet here I am because the topic is a good'un.

I usually post less when:

• Nothing grabs my attention or looks fun to reply to.
  • I'm playing WoW more.
  • I'm tired of explaining the same things multiple times.

Much like everyone else, I suspect.

Posted · Hidden by Jarl Kjaran Coldheart, February 12, 2017 - Off Topic
Hidden by Jarl Kjaran Coldheart, February 12, 2017 - Off Topic

Sorry for off topic but I'd like to ask the following.

Aaron.... Finish this...

The best WoW expansion was...?

Christ. Some light hearted sarcasm and some people really bite. Thank you ADB for not being one of those people.

By the way ADB is one of my favourite authors. I wasn't really linking his forum activity with his time spent as an author. I was merely guessing that if an author is deep "in the zone" they won't want to be distracted by fan fiction comments whilst they let their creative juices flow.

Wrong uns needed arresting.. Bad times! But this was a good interview, very nice to see someone open up about in house politics, happens in all work places.. Just a shame when it affects our hobby which I think the majority of Bl authors are into. (sure its not the hollywood wages)

In terms of books grinding to a halt, Dan's and my outputs are probably the most obvious. I had a dark little laugh about it yesterday actually, as I was doing the introduction to The Black Legion, and re-read the intro to The Talon of Horus. I did a double-take when I saw that the Talon intro was dated "Aaron Dembski-Bowden, March 2014". As I wrote "Aaron Dembski-Bowden, February 2017" at the end of this one, it sank in a bit. The ideal release time for a sequel is a year after the previous book. This one is coming out over three years later.

It doesnt feel like 3 years, and I think its a testament to our appreciation of Talon that we are all still excited for The Black Legion. :]

Its kind of crazy its been 3 years actually, as its still sitting on my mantle very easily accessible instead of put away....

Exactly. For me it seems like I read Talon a month ago. Not a year and a half ago lol.

3 years is unacceptable.

You're not my mom.

Dear God, no. I'm here because of the topic. Correlation does not imply causation, etc. Case in point, this weekend is an insane workload (probably the busiest for the last 6+ months), yet here I am because the topic is a good'un.

I usually post less when:

• Nothing grabs my attention or looks fun to reply to.
  • I'm playing WoW more.
  • I'm tired of explaining the same things multiple times.

Much like everyone else, I suspect.

Replirs are always (usually fun)

WOW is a heresy nuke.gif

I'm tired of explaining the same things multiple times - strangely now I do understand you thanks.gif

Much like everyone else, I suspect. - now I do understand them too, lol

I post when I'm at work and no one needs arresting smile.png

What does your manager say? pirate.gif

It was an interesting interview which confirmed what I had suspected for some time; I just hope we get back to the black library of yesteryear and see some more ciaphas Cain novels released.

Something tells me (in my humble opinion) that Sandy Mitchell is not writing for them anymore

Great interview. In some ways maybe the need for new authors to write more was a blessing as well as a curse?

Would we stil have new authors (at least I think they are new) like Matt Westbrook, Robbie Mac, Andy Clark, or Nick Horth without the craziness of tie ins? I sort of doubt it, and I like the idea of getting new blood. Also those guys have all been pretty awesome so far.

Great interview. In some ways maybe the need for new authors to write more was a blessing as well as a curse?

Would we stil have new authors (at least I think they are new) like Matt Westbrook, Robbie Mac, Andy Clark, or Nick Horth without the craziness of tie ins? I sort of doubt it, and I like the idea of getting new blood. Also those guys have all been pretty awesome so far.

I can't call it a blessing - cause in general through they got experience, they create more passable stories than a good ones.

Eh, I would disagree with the idea that they haven't written some fairly great stuff.

I know you read a lot of these novels, but if you haven't read early Dan Abnett warhammer stuff you should, and then compare to things like Gaunts Ghosts. People get better through experience and that's a bigger deal than you seem to believe.

As an addition to my earlier post, I in no way am happy that some great authors had to deal with bad bosses. That can be the worst, as we all know. I am more just reflecting on a possible silver lining.

Christ. Some light hearted sarcasm and some people really bite. Thank you ADB for not being one of those people.

By the way ADB is one of my favourite authors. I wasn't really linking his forum activity with his time spent as an author. I was merely guessing that if an author is deep "in the zone" they won't want to be distracted by fan fiction comments whilst they let their creative juices flow.

I knew what it was but it's easy to believe that that's not the case. Sometimes fans are crazy. Like there is that one time that one poor author got kidnapped by that crazy fan who demanded that he keep writing, and did some horrible things to his legs. :(

Eh, I would disagree with the idea that they haven't written some fairly great stuff.

I know you read a lot of these novels, but if you haven't read early Dan Abnett warhammer stuff you should, and then compare to things like Gaunts Ghosts. People get better through experience and that's a bigger deal than you seem to believe.

As an addition to my earlier post, I in no way am happy that some great authors had to deal with bad bosses. That can be the worst, as we all know. I am more just reflecting on a possible silver lining.

true. We will see in several years how it all will go.

I knew what it was but it's easy to believe that that's not the case. Sometimes fans are crazy. Like there is that one time that one poor author got kidnapped by that crazy fan who demanded that he keep writing, and did some horrible things to his legs. sad.png

You mean poor fella from the 'Misery'? I think King got it right thanks.gif

So the silver lining is more authors joining the stable and the future now looks bright with author driven projects also being green lighted and the return of some bigger name authors who took a sabbatical from BL.

As I have said for BL 40k it looks like 2017 will be the best year for a very long time. For me personally it is a great year for HH as well as I am somewhat behind as only buy in MMPB format and this year has a great line up :-)

So the silver lining is more authors joining the stable and the future now looks bright with author driven projects also being green lighted and the return of some bigger name authors who took a sabbatical from BL.

As I have said for BL 40k it looks like 2017 will be the best year for a very long time. For me personally it is a great year for HH as well as I am somewhat behind as only buy in MMPB format and this year has a great line up :-)

Yeah - 2017 fantastic for 40K and struggling for Horus Heresy sadly.

Archived