Interview with Laurie Goulding about BL / GW

hopkins

I am glad to finally read both parts of the interview.

The second part still hasn't been posted yet, so where did you read it?

Voila :-)

That's part 2 of the December 2016 interview.

Argh, apologies & good spot! sweat.gif

I read the second part of what I now see was the first interview back in Dec 16. More than a little confusing with how it is displayed. I did not mean to confuse anyone.

I read the second part of what I now see was the first interview back in Dec 16. More than a little confusing with how it is displayed. I did not mean to confuse anyone.

Exactly, I was confused too. They should have pointed new interview separately and add something like a timestamp for title of the old one. Cause it's misleading and confusing

Looking forward to this!

@Never_born, do you have any other interviews planned?

Yeeees...planned, but not yet confirmed. Well, I've got a quick interview with an author of some old Inferno! stories ready to post soon - part of my Forgotten Texts series of articles. Everything else is still in the pipeline, but I'm hopeful to get something sorted in the not too distant future smile.png

Thanks for posting that, another great read. And I can't believe I missed the joke planet names in the Ciaphas Cain novels! I may have to use that as an excuse to go back and reread them all :)

Nice one Never_born, an interesting piece. Was it the mention of Guilliman's return that delayed it?

Partly yeah, along with a general resurgence of life stuff that got in the way...including beginning the process of taking Track of Words from the current .wordpress.com site into trackofwords.com, which should be coming soon!

Nice one Never_born, an interesting piece. Was it the mention of Guilliman's return that delayed it?

Partly yeah, along with a general resurgence of life stuff that got in the way...including beginning the process of taking Track of Words from the current .wordpress.com site into trackofwords.com, which should be coming soon!

Really? Well done and easy migration then :)

By the way, ‘the Wolf Cull’ is merely a term that Tony Cottrell put on a Forge World presentation. Since then it’s become irrefutably inscribed on everyone’s minds – ‘That’s what it’s going to be called! That’s the name of the Black Library book!’ So I just smile politely and say nothing…

This part was oddly amusing to me. On here over the past months the name has been used so adamantly, even with the conviction that "Wolf Cull" might be book 43 or 46 instead of the obvious and confirmed anthology-reprints. At this point the only thing that's confirmed about the "Wolf Cull" is that it'll happen, but that's about it.

But do we ACTUALLY know what the outcome is? Because in Corax, Ezekyle Abaddon suddenly appears at Yarant and goes full-on trying to wipe out the wounded Space Wolves and Leman Russ. I hope that story would be something like Rogue One to A New Hope – the ending of this supposed ‘Wolf Cull’ could have that level of amazing, exciting, horrifying drama. All of the little concerns and arguments that fans are having about whether or not Leman Russ got a proper spin of the wheel at that point would suddenly be obliterated by the full telling of it! However, obviously he doesn’t kill Horus, and obviously his attempt fails, we know that from the background. The question of HOW he’s foiled and what exactly he MIGHT achieve, because we haven’t seen it from Horus’ point of view yet – that’s the thing that’s really exciting, and that’s what I’ve always loved about the Horus Heresy as a series. It’s going to be amazing, however it shakes out. I’m sure of that.”

That's nice and all, but when is that actually going to happen? And in what form, novel or novella.

I wish they'd just release some information like other SFF publishers do ( you know, put up a listing with a synopsis, page count details etc).

Well, they're doing that now at least. You can find the next few months on BL, and beyond even on Amazon sometimes. There was a phase where they didn't talk about things like those anymore at all, but they're getting better again. Though for some reason they still haven't returned ISBNs and page counts to product pages. Always a pain in the backside when trying to organize their releases on goodreads.

Most other SFF publishers only list maybe 6 months in advance, outside of things like ongoing series they're promoting long before the fact, and ARCs they're sending out way ahead of time so information leaking is unavoidable.

By the way, ‘the Wolf Cull’ is merely a term that Tony Cottrell put on a Forge World presentation. Since then it’s become irrefutably inscribed on everyone’s minds – ‘That’s what it’s going to be called! That’s the name of the Black Library book!’ So I just smile politely and say nothing…

This part was oddly amusing to me. On here over the past months the name has been used so adamantly, even with the conviction that "Wolf Cull" might be book 43 or 46 instead of the obvious and confirmed anthology-reprints. At this point the only thing that's confirmed about the "Wolf Cull" is that it'll happen, but that's about it.

I stand corrected. You was right in that particular case. Partly I was hoping BL after 2016 fixed mass old stuff reprints into the numbered series by that time. So Shattered Legions made me censored.gif again.

At least now, in my humble opinion - I think it would be sufficient to make it a novella (like Purge) instead of a full fledged novel.

Well, they're doing that now at least. You can find the next few months on BL, and beyond even on Amazon sometimes. There was a phase where they didn't talk about things like those anymore at all, but they're getting better again. Though for some reason they still haven't returned ISBNs and page counts to product pages. Always a pain in the backside when trying to organize their releases on goodreads.

Most other SFF publishers only list maybe 6 months in advance, outside of things like ongoing series they're promoting long before the fact, and ARCs they're sending out way ahead of time so information leaking is unavoidable.

We still can find new releases 9 months ahead on Amazon. At the same time BL site contain info only 4 months ahead. That's not even 6 months in advance

Greetings DC,

Publishers like Tor books, DAW, Del Rey, Orbit, Harper Voyager, they announce well in advance what they will be publishing in 2017, in hardcover and paperback. I agree that BL is getting better by showing some "coming soon" releases on their website, and we can gather some stuff from BL on Amazon. It's still not on the same level as SFF publishers, who show their information significantly more in advance on Amazon and their own website, and it is far more complete as well.

For instance, all TOR books releases are up until December 26. For BL, we don't know what is coming up as early as July. And BL's Amazon listing is incomplete, it doesn't always show the hardcover releases which would indicate when we first see the release of a book.

But more than that there is still a lot of coyness about what is coming in the HH series for instance. I would prefer if they simply told us what is coming out in 2017, what month, what book. They simply don't do that, and that is definitely out of step with other sff publishers.

Greetings DC,

Publishers like Tor books, DAW, Del Rey, Orbit, Harper Voyager, they announce well in advance what they will be publishing in 2017, in hardcover and paperback. I agree that BL is getting better by showing some "coming soon" releases on their website, and we can gather some stuff from BL on Amazon. It's still not on the same level as SFF publishers, who show their information significantly more in advance on Amazon and their own website, and it is far more complete as well.

For instance, all TOR books releases are up until December 26. For BL, we don't know what is coming up as early as July. And BL's Amazon listing is incomplete, it doesn't always show the hardcover releases which would indicate when we first see the release of a book.

But more than that there is still a lot of coyness about what is coming in the HH series for instance. I would prefer if they simply told us what is coming out in 2017, what month, what book. They simply don't do that, and that is definitely out of step with other sff publishers.

And the reason is obvious. BL hasn't shown titles after June - cause they simply does not know then they would be ready and published after edit. Plainly obvious. Add to that the fact that writing/editing books is not the same as advertising them

Really? Well done and easy migration then smile.png

Thanks! It's mostly done now, just a few things to tidy up and figure out - like redirects, moving subscribers over etc. All new territory for me, but an interesting process so far smile.png

Yep. Laurie's enthusiasm for the events that are going to be covered here was infectious, and the whole 'Wolf Cull' thing is classic internet + hobby fans really. That being said, it'll be hilarious now if BL decide to say 'sod it, let's just call the next book The Wolf Cull just to annoy everyone' smile.png

Laurie gave some insight on timings here

That was SUPER interesting - hadn't seen it before, thanks for mentioning it smile.png

Really? Well done and easy migration then smile.png

Thanks! It's mostly done now, just a few things to tidy up and figure out - like redirects, moving subscribers over etc. All new territory for me, but an interesting process so far smile.png

Yep. Laurie's enthusiasm for the events that are going to be covered here was infectious, and the whole 'Wolf Cull' thing is classic internet + hobby fans really. That being said, it'll be hilarious now if BL decide to say 'sod it, let's just call the next book The Wolf Cull just to annoy everyone' smile.png

Laurie gave some insight on timings here

That was SUPER interesting - hadn't seen it before, thanks for mentioning it smile.png

Ahh, migration - what a lovely life. I know how awesome it is. Redirects by the way such a pain in the ass :) Hope you will figure it out soonish :)

'Yep. Laurie's enthusiasm for the events that are going to be covered here was infectious, and the whole 'Wolf Cull' thing is classic internet + hobby fans really. That being said, it'll be hilarious now if BL decide to say 'sod it, let's just call the next book The Wolf Cull just to annoy everyone' smile.png' -

- that is not far from the truth. They called Fehervari novel same as Codex an a lot of people simply did not bought it - cause they thought it was codex. So it would be truly in 'tradition' of BL to name the novel 'Wolf Cull' teehee.gif

As for the editing/publishing/sales time I was shocked with 'Warmaster' - finished in december 2016 - released in november 2017. teehee.gif

If people didn't buy the Peter Fehervari genestealer cults novel because if the name they missed out there - I thought that was a great read, I'm just hoping it gets a follow up to close out some of the open plot threads.

My only real criticism of the book is that it could have done with a longer page count. 

Archived