Blackadder's Attempt To Build a Lucius Patten Imperator

Blackadder

Lucius Patten Imperator Titan 'Invictus' 

So with the blurb ten months ago about my proposal to begin an Imperator Titan I kinda fell flat on my face. 

First, finishing up the Thunderhawk monopolized a good deal of my time and learning how to best incorporate lighting in said Thunderhawk and my Warlord engaged yet more time. Then the Presidential election captured my attention almost to the exclusion of all things else. Finally I have returned to normalcy with what I consider a fabulous idea to make a hip and lower torso mount commensurate with an automaton of this magnitude.

So we shall begin with the 'pelvis' which I found ready made on my local Lowes Building center where I purchased about six bucks worth of PVC pipe fittings  A compression fitting Tee, a threaded coupling for the connection to the upper torso and two more for the hips connections.

http://i.imgur.com/u2Jmn7xl.jpg

Naturally all this is quite utilitarian and looks exactly what it is, some pipe fittings and there are many titans that follow this procedure and leave the fittings as is. I intend to flesh out the assembly in styrene so as to hide all the piping that will only serve as an armature or skeleton for the model.

In the image below you will get an idea of how much more robust this construct will be compared to the pelvis and hips of my Warlord.

http://i.imgur.com/ZnV8V8vl.jpg

Where as Luteus Vexant has hips trunnions about an inch in diameter 'Invictus' shall have 1.5 inch axles. 

The beauty of this ready made construction technique is I shall be able pivot the waist and separate the model easily and hopefully allow the legs to be posed in a walking position as well as the spraddle-legged pose. 

http://i.imgur.com/iHv6TFEl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4KsMObKl.jpg

Edited by Blackadder

My Warlord topped out at 27 inches (Eight inches taller that the stunted FW Warlord.) not counting gun elevation so I am figuring 32 to 36 inches tall but with more robust legs and heavier superstructure. I don't want to diminish my Warlord too badly and I feel taller than 36 inches would look ludicrous if placed on a gaming board When I began building my Warlord I projected 26 inches and came in pretty close so I feel pretty confident with this estimate.

Thanks for all the replies and subscriptions, I'll try to make your confidence worthwhile but we're looking at at least two years for this project so don't expect a rush job. :D The fun is in the building.

Dark Gods curse you, Adder! I was just finished going through your Thunderhawk thread and being inspired enough to start scratching building a Warhound and now you pull this out and put it on your Work Bench?! *Sigh* Okay, let's see what you come up with that I'll feel inspired to work on next.

A 27-inch-tall Titan model?

Darth Vader: "Impressive... Most impressive."

This statement surprised me enough to check back and see why my Warlord is unknown on this forum. I found that I started a thread here but it somehow got lost in my travels throughout the web so here is the link to my original thread here on Bolter and Chainsword:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/248599-blackadders-warlord-wip/page-3

As you can see I didn't get far here in the breakdown of the build which at the present day is fully completed, painted, and shelved (figuratively speaking) Here are a few images of it in it's completed state; a monstrous 27inch tall behemoth:

First an image of the model in comparison to the FW Warlord to give it a scale. The middle image is what I plan to do to stretch the resin Warlord when and if I purchase one as I think the legs are too short so by cutting the legs at thigh and calf I shall be able to increase the height to conform to my styrene model.

http://i.imgur.com/o3XkR4q.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/o3XkR4ql.jpg

Green Screen Hyjinks:

Red Eye Panorama I call this one:

http://i.imgur.com/3PxUvq0l.jpg

Hey this green screen stuff is kinda fun..........

Luteus Vexant Stands a scale160 feet (49 meters) tall.

This is not a kit, everything is handmade from scratch fabricated from individual bits of styrene. There are well over 10,000 bits of plastic glued together some no bigger than the head of a pin. "Luteus Vexant" is the name I chose for the Warlord It in Latin means "Dirty Harry." The Titan has a full interior with five levels completely furnished and manned with a crew. I am still in the process of wiring the lighting and it needs more paint.

http://i.imgur.com/NgEqa30l.jpg

I had to dredge this image up for my archives as it appears I've not posted it before????

http://i.imgur.com/wbH6MAEl.jpg

If anyone is interested I can resume the Warlord Thread to show how Luteus was constructed.

Jeez I'm still struggling with a stormbird and you are cranking out another titan :teehee:

I'm interested in your Stormbird; do you have a link to thread? But cranking out another titan is jumping the gun a bit since I've done little work thus far and have about 18 months yet to go at the minimum :P

Jeez I'm still struggling with a stormbird and you are cranking out another titan :teehee:

I'm interested in your Stormbird; do you have a link to thread? But cranking out another titan is jumping the gun a bit since I've done little work thus far and have about 18 months yet to go at the minimum :tongue.:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/285078-pre-heresy-ecs-and-missing-xi-legion/

I was going to build it for my (now pretty much scrapped) Legion 11 idea. If I can ever get the thing finished it will go into my Alpha Legion. I've taken several attempts of building the structure to connect the two toys and bulk out the frame, but nothing has panned out well yet.

Dark Gods curse you, Adder! I was just finished going through your Thunderhawk thread and being inspired enough to start scratching building a Warhound and now you pull this out and put it on your Work Bench?! *Sigh* Okay, let's see what you come up with that I'll feel inspired to work on next.

Egad I've failed to post my Warhound build here as well and that was completed in 2012. I'll start a thread describing the construction if you're interested. Lucie was my first fully scratch built project and I am very proud of her. All her joints are functional right down to the toes and she can be posed in any position (within the bounds of propriety of course) but is beginning to show her age and the joints are weakening.  

And with that the rest is silence so here it is one year later and I've taken up the cudgel  once again:

When last we visited I was building a base for Lucie so as to display her on a shelf without toppling. But wire coat hangers are too flexible for a model of her weight so searched for a more durable rod of similar diameter. I have just found such a rod in of all places an electioneering poster support frame. These frames must withstand high winds at times so the rod is super stiff for it's diameter.

http://i.imgur.com/4wj9vZQl.jpg

So Lucie now stands somewhat erect on a custom base that still requires further painting.

http://i.imgur.com/S8ETKGhl.jpg

Soon to be displayed in my curio cabinet.

http://i.imgur.com/afIAdIUl.jpg

As you can see my projects are never finished and I am always upgrading them; in this case a permanent display stand because I don't want her joints to weaken any more.  

Egad I've failed to post my Warhound build here as well and that was completed in 2012. I'll start a thread describing the construction if you're interested. Lucie was my first fully scratch built project and I am very proud of her. All her joints are functional right down to the toes and she can be posed in any position (within the bounds of propriety of course) but is beginning to show her age and the joints are weakening.  

And with that the rest is silence so here it is one year later and I've taken up the cudgel  once again:

When last we visited I was building a base for Lucie so as to display her on a shelf without toppling. But wire coat hangers are too flexible for a model of her weight so searched for a more durable rod of similar diameter. I have just found such a rod in of all places an electioneering poster support frame. These frames must withstand high winds at times so the rod is super stiff for it's diameter.

you enjoy tormenting fellow modelers like me, don't you Adder? *sigh* got any build pics?

I truly, utterly admire the cojones it takes to even think of building one of these...

...but you're not thinking anywhere near big enough. An Imperator-class Titan should be almost human-sized, at 28mm scale, to have a chance of doing justice to their fluff descriptions - I'm thinking 'Titanicus' and 'Storm Of Iron' in particular, with the portrayal of Dies Irae - because let's face it the FW Warlord is waaaay too small, really - only the FW Warhound is genuinely about the right scale. 

I truly, utterly admire the cojones it takes to even think of building one of these...

...but you're not thinking anywhere near big enough. An Imperator-class Titan should be almost human-sized, at 28mm scale, to have a chance of doing justice to their fluff descriptions - I'm thinking 'Titanicus' and 'Storm Of Iron' in particular, with the portrayal of Dies Irae - because let's face it the FW Warlord is waaaay too small, really - only the FW Warhound is genuinely about the right scale. 

I mean... you're not wrong, but so what? 99% of the rest of the models aren't to scale. I mean your average gaurdsman is 5'11" tall while the typical space marine is 8' tall, meaning the model for a space marine should be 30% taller then a Guardsman model. And extrapolating that out, a Rhino should be about the size of a Land Raider model, while a lander model would be around the size of the BaneBlade model while a bane blade would be about a 1/5 of a typical 8'x4' sized table.

I've seen Emperors that were upwards of 5-6 foot tall and while big they were not impressive. The taller they are the more detail they require; what looks good on a two foot model looks barren and fake on a six foot model. A quick calculation gives 386 feet tall at 28 mm scale. It would dwarf any of the existing FW models to insignificance. My Luteus scales 160 feet tall at 27 inches plenty big in person believe me.

Pelvis Engineering Compartment Floor: 

This time I'm going to do it right.

Since I already have an idea of how large this titan will be and the fact that I do want a full interior I will be able to plan the layout as I build. None of the hit or miss second guessing I ran into on the Warlord titan

Below are the two pieces of the Engineering base and Pelvis 82 MM square with two center holes for the waist shaft 21 MM diameter. The pieces are 2 MM thick styrene, one of the few time I work with such thick styrene because of the difficulty forming it and the danger of a knife blade slipping and cutting your hand. Extreme care should be exercised when cutting 2,0 MM styrene

http://i.imgur.com/zDkryhOl.jpg

The plates slip over the Tee shaft and have a clearance of 1MM on either side to install the 1 MM side walls. 

http://i.imgur.com/N0buMb6l.jpg

Eventually there will be nothing showing of the Tee but the compression fittings that will serve as the hip joint housing and also allow the legs to be removed to re-position for posing.

You might want to try building  along with this thread because I intend to offer a step by step tutorial at least for the basic structure. How you detail the model is up to you but I'll show what I consider an Lucius Pattern Emperor titan should look like and you can build your walking turreted cathedral if you wish.

Pelvis Engineering Compartment Floor:

Maybe it's because I just watched Guardians of the Galaxy, but for some reason I'm hard time not reading that line in Zoe Saldana's voice. Something like "I will NOT deal with your screw ups on the Pelvis engineering floor! DO you hear me?!"

Since I already have an idea of how large this titan will be and the fact that I do want a full interior I will be able to plan the layout as I build. None of the hit or miss second guessing I ran into on the Warlord titan

Blackadder, you know you're jinxing yourself with that statement right? You're going to get like 2/3s of the way through a section, see something that you over looked, decided against initially, or now see a better way to address it, and you'll be like "Crap! Why didn't I do that before?"

Below are the two pieces of the Engineering base and Pelvis 82 MM square with two center holes for the waist shaft 21 MM diameter. The pieces are 2 MM thick styrene, one of the few time I work with such thick styrene because of the difficulty forming it and the danger of a knife blade slipping and cutting your hand. Extreme care should be exercised when cutting 2,0 MM styrene

This actually raises a question: How DO You go about cutting stuff like 1.5 and 2mm thick styrene? Everytime I've needed to cut it... well it's depended on what sort of cut I needed to do. If I need a hole I start with drill bit and then use a circle cutter in a drill press. If I need a straight cut of less then 2" I'll use a metal straight edge and a utility blade and just resign myself to cutting for the next half hour. If more then 2" I'll generally use a band saw.

You might want to try building  along with this thread because I intend to offer a step by step tutorial at least for the basic structure. How you detail the model is up to you but I'll show what I consider an Lucius Pattern Emperor titan should look like and you can build your walking turreted cathedral if you wish.

I would, but time and money are not my friends right now. However, I will be recording your progress and efforts so one day when I get around to building my own Imperator I'll have some basis of understanding to begin from.

This actually raises a question: How DO You go about cutting stuff like 1.5 and 2mm thick styrene? Everytime I've needed to cut it... well it's depended on what sort of cut I needed to do. If I need a hole I start with drill bit and then use a circle cutter in a drill press. If I need a straight cut of less then 2" I'll use a metal straight edge and a utility blade and just resign myself to cutting for the next half hour. If more then 2" I'll generally use a band saw.

To cut these squares I used the score and snap method. You say a utility blade so I assume you use a utility knife such as a Stanley or General which is the proper knife not an Xacto. You needn't use a straight edge other than to make a pencil line or a shallow score with the blade. make a slightly deeper score free hand guiding the blade along the score. Then you can just snap the plastic and it will break evenly along the score. 

For this hole I first drilled a hole with my 1 inch wood auger bit in my cordless drill/driver I the made razor saw cuts to the edge of the circle I drew with a compass. I scored between the cuts to make an octagon inside the circle and used a needle nose to snap off the pieces. I finished by using my dremel sanding drum bit to smooth the interior of the hole to the compass circle.

HTH 

I've seen Emperors that were upwards of 5-6 foot tall and while big they were not impressive. The taller they are the more detail they require; what looks good on a two foot model looks barren and fake on a six foot model. A quick calculation gives 386 feet tall at 28 mm scale. It would dwarf any of the existing FW models to insignificance. My Luteus scales 160 feet tall at 27 inches plenty big in person believe me.

More on the scale of an Imperator Titan........

According to Warhammer 40K Wikia:

"The Imperator and Warmonger Emperor Titans stand approximately 55.5 metres (182 feet) tall" and hold a company of infantry(I'm guessing about 200 troops?) 

Judging by the size of the greaves even on an Emperor,
the grunts must be stacked up like cord wood.