Blackadder's Attempt To Build a Lucius Patten Imperator

Blackadder

OMG

Blackadder if fickle but Oh My God this is something I have to emulate. I just wish I knew who the artist is and if he has any other views of this machine. I was browsing tumbler for ideas and came across this no nonsense Emperor Titan that I am afraid makes mine look rather toylike. there is no other words for it.

07c2jX2l.jpg

The massiveness of the outriggers on either side of the head, the overall solidness of the outriggers, thighs, and lower legs plus the realism of the superstructure and upper works is astounding.

In an attempt to enhance the detail I brightened the image and increased the contrast.

Aqhlq7ml.jpg 

This has given me a whole new way to proceed on this construction borrowing liberally from both authors. But look at those shoulders and those guns. Truly the Machine God has been brought to life. 

Can't Get No......

Satisfaction. 

On rethinking this project I find I was in error putting Cathedral parts in what ostensibly was the engineering area. We need some techie looking cryptic machinery instead of monastic facades

qrgPqfil.jpg

So out with the old and in with the new.

mDWpKKxl.jpg

This may work out and it ties the overhead yoke to the chest plate structures neatly.

V3pMz2al.jpg

I may also have room for a maintenance catwalk (I do like catwalks)

KjZFQPVl.jpg

This design will give me more creative options when I tie in the rear exhaust structures as well.

3D Analog Modeling:

I love this stuff. This grid material is so relatively cheap and so versatile that it is rapidly becoming my basic building platform.  

jugJgeEl.jpg

Anyway I shall be using these angled constitutions for the 3 floors of engineering so I am considering gluing them in place. 

Yo4AcLpl.jpg

The positioning of these panels is just about perfect as if the Deus Mechanicus were guiding my hand.............

uohMq6Hl.jpg

I now can reconsider adding the spurious hydraulic cylinders after all; Omnissiah be praised.

TOyNVBil.jpg

Now I just have to rationalize it's purpose????

Impact and recoil vibration damping would be the logical assuming the arm is fixed as in your build, it might be that their is a pivot inside that allows for moment but the angles look wrong for that and I would assume a fixed internal structure.

The new side panels are coming along nicely and I'm going to have to find some of that grating material. 

Impact and recoil vibration damping would be the logical assuming the arm is fixed as in your build, it might be that their is a pivot inside that allows for moment but the angles look wrong for that and I would assume a fixed internal structure.

The new side panels are coming along nicely and I'm going to have to find some of that grating material. 

Arms/weapons themselves could have recoil compensating apparatus in them. Mechanius works in mysterious ways.

It would help to have some in the guns as well but shear mass and bulk of the weapons would still send vibrations through the super structure along with every titanic foot fall. I reckon that a brace of dampers would be a reasonably enough reason to include them. Maybe have them less parallel to the arms though at a better angle.

Thanks for the replies.....

Back On Track:

Things are looking up now that I am back on track. 

Below we se the first of eight trunnion mounts in place ready to receive  the cylinders and piston rod ends with what I hope will be sufficiently robust to stand the torque to which they will be subjected (In the real world). 

zpFncXWl.jpg

Having worked around commercial aircraft for a good portion of my adult life one of the things I find in error about many of these Titan scrachbuilds is the lack of appreciating the forces imposed on the hydraulic actuators.....

egRe4Wol.jpg

The Boeing 747 in particular with it's four robust main landing gear filled me with awe on first seeing the tremendous machined components carved out of titanium ingots with their almost organic contours. The structures mimicking some antediluvian monster's skeleton. 

Obsessive Compulsive Roll:

"You snooze you lose." as the saying goes. Last night while watching youtube and reading science articles I lost myself in autonomic reflex mode. Low and behold this morning I awoke to find my output was far greater than I thought. 

VyhVIgul.jpg

Apparently I quadrupled my work in a night doing what would ostensibly 'by rote.' My mother was capable of this absentminded production as well. She could knit an afghan blanket whilst watching TV and be completely oblivious to the process. 

Anyway the result seen here is a small portion of the entire Titan but eventually would have had to have been done and I'm glad it is but it's unnerving to have no memory of the process. 

84E7pMel.jpg

Elves Maybe? Umpa-Lumpas? 

Awesome!The level of detail and ornamentation you're putting into this project is really amazing. It may just be the scale of the thing, but it seems to have a lot more sloping plates and arches than some of the previous scratch builds you've done, but the results continue to impress.

Awesome!The level of detail and ornamentation you're putting into this project is really amazing. It may just be the scale of the thing, but it seems to have a lot more sloping plates and arches than some of the previous scratch builds you've done, but the results continue to impress.

Bingo, you've hit the nail on the head. There is no Lucius style Emperor other than the Epic modified Warlord which I don't feel like redoing.

PhELd5F.jpg

I had toyed with the idea of making the Warlord convertible to a Warmonger but I wanted stand alone pieces so I opted to make a second large Titan. This version is about as Lucius style as I can get and still have it recognizable as an Emperor.

Weapons Mount Detail; Now It Can Be Explained:

Now that I have the Engineering levels side walls complete I can proceed with the yoke mounts with the hydraulic cylinder attach points.

uiO8LM0l.jpg

I am missing something on the detail as it appears the attach points have a circular rack and pinion system that allows the weapons to rotate as the yoke arm is raised and lowered. This came to me last night as I studied the drawing for the umpteenth time where it all came clear and the hydraulic system while seemingly unnecessary does have a purpose. 

oclY04el.jpg

Hidden beneath the deck above the yoke must have an second hinge point that allows it to be raised and lowered by the hydraulic cylinders. The necessity for which or what ever reason I cannot fathom but it does explain much of the detail in the 3D image. 

TOyNVBil.jpg

Elevating and lowering the main weapons say a few meters cannot make that much difference when they are mounted 30 to 40 meters off the ground to my mind but the artist included it in his design and so shall I but I'll eschew the capacity of movement on my model. 

It does make for some interesting detail and detail is what 'tis all about when you come down to it. :D

SARP Stabilized Advanced Remote Weapon Platform;

As we approach the main armament mount ( A bit earlier than I intended. It would be a good idea to make sure the the 'guns' clear the hip joints.) there has been some speculation as to the functionality of the yoke arm hydraulic system. 

I did some research into 'SARP Stabilized Advanced Remote Weapon Platform' and found some interesting tidbits.

First of all the SARP appears to be a linear system i.e. in line with the gun barrel 

Linear Elevation/Stabilization Drive:

WAcWlim.jpg

so this eliminates the hydraulics as a gyroscopic stabilizer as the arm is perpendicular to the barrels besides raising the whole arm is much too massive an undertaking for something as sensitive as ground affect stablization. The hydraulics of that size could not respond quick enough. 

Second  there has been some criticism of the trunnion mount of the main gun. Accidentally or purposefully the author's (Joazzz) trunnion mount works well with the stabilizer system:

nZKAT4R.jpg

albeit sufficiently built up to Emperor Titan scale. 

and so we're back to the intended purpose of the Hydraulic actuated arm.

I have really got to get a life. :D

Hello Blackadder,i have been following you for quite a while now and i must say you are good at what you do,your work is inspiring.

I think I know what is the use for the gears on the side of the arm structure.I know for a fact that these beasts are load in some sort of huge transport then sent on the surface,i remember reading about Die israe in one of the horus heresy book and her huge transport,well I think its only gfor a loading purpose,to get it compact for loading.I think the hydraulics are there to bring the  weapon back towardthe body to save some space.As form the weapon itself I tought about a camera mount type of system,to straighten the weapon upward so it can be pull closer to the body.

here is a picture

2-fancierstudio-pro-video-camera-best-tr

except the gears look like three row of chains that probly place the weapon upward and the main arm structure bring the weapon back in.

What do you think? Otherwise I have no idea why the artist would have put some gears there.

A week Of Detailing:

A week of detailing and while gratifying that so much was accomplished now that it is all back together it doesn't seem like all that much. 

This first image shows the Yoke detail where the hydraulics will mount on the arm extenders.

voFYSFGl.jpg

Pretty much the same shot from a lower angle.

QJnu0Rnl.jpg

A quarter view showing the front yoke arm detail that required so much time for the actual amount of dressing up required.

4tELqEZl.jpg

A 3/4 view of the left interior to show where the three maintenance/engineering decks will be and the reactor deck. I haven't worked that out yet. 

JqiMoaml.jpg

Finally a right 3/4 view showing off the weapon arm rack gear to it's best advantage and the sloppiness  of my mancave/workshop.

hEkrwRJl.jpg

Time for a celebratory cognac and coffee.

You lost me on the technical details but the weapon arm looks awesome. Its impressive to see a project of this size coming together with the level of quality you're achieving.

I don't have anything to add to the design or construction, this is way beyond what I'm capable of. I did have one question from the photos, though and I'm kind of hesitant to ask. Its probably just the perspective of the first couple shots in your last post but will it fit out the door?

When finished I am projecting the model will be a meter tall and not much wider than the arms yoke, about half a meter, so I have no fear of it not fitting out the door. Not so with the boat I built in the basement years ago but I do have the consolation that if the basement ever floods I'm ready.

Finally:

Now that the yoke is roughed out I can devote time to the interior levels of the engineering decks. A spot dear to my heart as I am a frustrated engineer or at least pretend to be on the internet. :D

Below is the slide out deck of the first engineering level cut and ready to insert into the lower hull.

ElZ4BTyl.jpg

And that deck temporarily in place for adjustment. 

TMargRPl.jpg

I plan to have the Fusion Reactor on these levels as in my Warlord which will take up the lion's share of the space. There will be one sub deck, three engineering decks and an egress to the command bridge (head) plus the altar and various religious accoutrements to the Omnissiah.

Jeez What a Mess:

All the sub components are just locked in place with interlocking tabs and while I know where the pieces actually go, the stability of the structures is tenuous at best. 

Below we see the inner levels decks 2 through 4 deck 1 being done earlier this Summer. Decks 3 and 4 frame the yoke and have yet to receive their floors.  

yVbqA9Zl.jpg

I have not worked out how they will be removable and how the neck will intersect with the third deck flooring. Some sort of bull nosed staircase I imagine. It will all look rather techish and decadent as befitting a titan interior but I have plans for an altar structure with attendant priests as in the Warlord.

hJtQNPyl.jpg

Above we see looking down at deck 2 and the two angled walls that will support the yoke and underside of the superstructure deck again rather sparsely connected without glue or screws so it all appears quite a jumble at the moment.

nnHxaDOl.jpg

The side view looking rather cleaner.

fr57fNzl.jpg

With the superstructure deck reinstalled the whole thing begins to tie together (Note that the jaw has disconnected for the visor) but all the rest of the components locking into their respective locations with barely a millimeter discrepancy that I can measure. Much of the precision purely by luck I assure you.

zUVImBal.jpg

And the right side view of this hodgepodge.
Edited by Blackadder

The older material suggested Titans had an animal sacrificed to them when their machine spirit was brought online; which [techbabble] helped to imprint/create the Titan's personality. Bears were sacrificed for Warlords, for example.

Since there's some lovely space in that superstructure, do you think there'll be a cubbyhole left over after the decks are added? Bit of an off-the-wall suggestion, but might be fun to bury an animal skull somewhere within as a little totemic nod to old technobarbaric fluff. 

A Series Of Interlocking Components:

It took a bit of doing but all the major components lock together to go from this .........

I4QDhMml.jpg

To this .......

S7OFsf2l.jpg

in about as much time as it takes (me) to type this. (Not being the world's fastest typist.)

0OHMIvql.jpg

So the entire model thus far can be disassembled for painting, upgrading and repaired at a whim.

lBdAkHKl.jpg

Now that the superstructure deck support is locked into place I can continue with the interior with the intermediate deck roughed in in the immediate above view.

f9Ho6TCl.jpg

With the deck removed you can visualize the two story engineering compartment.