Blackadder's Attempt To Build a Lucius Patten Imperator

Blackadder

33 Inches Tall:

RIght now it's standing about 33 Inches Tall without feet or superstructure.

x9bKa1wl.jpg

The left leg is covered with the basic skin and the proportions look about right. I'm toying with the idea of having the egress on the inner side of the greaves where it would make more sense rather than the front plus it would lend itself better to have the troops exit the greaves under the full protection of the Titan guards until they are formed up as a full company. Plus the inner toes would incorporate the descending stairs to the ground leaving the front toes uncluttered with the steps.

Wowza. I don't remember seeing the Warlord interior - it looks awesome! The Emperator looks tremendous (although sad on the floor). Adding the legs is a huge jump forward for taking shape. As far as the egress points for the greaves, putting it in between the legs will make it tough to see. Plus, in the Black Library stories I've read, it seems like one of the few vulnerabilities of the larger Titans is close-range infantry attack, so perhaps the egress is designed to mitigate this.

Where's Waldo:

So after this weekend's work I have little to show for it but if you follow this thread you may be able to pick out what has been done.

No fair cheating and referencing the previous text.

2rJeRD4l.jpg

I'm still wrestling with the egress of the troops from the greaves

RR657Kul.jpg

Logic would dictate they exit the rear. I've compromised and allowed for a inner thigh exit. to have them exit to the front piecemeal may appeal to the 40K genera but not to common sense. After all we're not exiting a one shot beach landing craft.

Quite a Feet

As I estimate right now this is about the size of the foot print for this baby. 

pfI5l2yl.jpg

Whereas the Warlord had baneblade size feet. This Emperor will have half again more

CMafvLol.jpg

With the greave in place it seems I can trim the toes a tad but no hurry as I am now in the process of designing ankles.

47tgGJLl.jpg

Yeah, you read me right, ankles.

I Cannot Help Myself:

It seems I am again in the situation where I cannot compromise this construction by taking short cuts. 

Originally this thread was a tutorial on how to make a quick and gratifying Emperor Titan out of recycled plastic debris  and GW bitz plus some plasticard. I expected to bring the thing in for about a hundred bucks American. 

JC06rvCl.jpg

Starting with the waffle lenses and a few items purchased on Amazon The project has now run into about twice as much which still isn't bad but far beyond what I hoped for.

In the series of images presented here is My solution to a problem that has vexed me since beginning; how am I to reconcile the leg joints? So here's my solution......

ClaHuT8l.jpg

A ball joint ankle. In the two images above I made a cup recess for a two inch wood drawer pull ( A design I made for my scratch built Warhound years ago) so who's to say, "You have to keep teaching an old dog the same old tricks."

oBFCt4nl.jpg

By carefully cutting out and stacking the waffle pieces and reinforcing them periodically I managed to build a close tolerance socket fit for the drawer pull knob. This will allow the foot to pivot front to back and side to side and any combination in between 

mQNCTqTl.jpg

The upper part of the assembly captures the ball and with luck provide sufficient friction to keep the ball in position by clamping it in place. Otherwise I'll have to reinforce the cup with  A4 epoxy resin as I did on the Warhound.

DeJ7lf1l.jpg

Next, the shank.

Anybody Know What This Is:

Gold is where you find it but from the moment I saw a couple of these in my neighbor's recycling I knew I would some day have a use for them. All along I was thinking some FW/GW futuristic Plasma weapon for a big Titan.

El7xQNql.jpg

But the unique and unusual design works well with my plans to build a troop transport greave interior right down to recesses for the huge actuators that stabilize the foot and the levels to hang the troopers shoulder harnesses when their being transported.

9nFLn7kl.jpg

So now the ball and socket may make more sense especially with the sleeve removed..........

uHF50bgl.jpg

8oXCttDl.jpg

While I'm awed by your work, I realy can't understand why insist on a harness for Astartes.

Maglocking should work fine for them:D

I cannot understand the insistence on magnetic boots as if your feet secured to a deck are all with which had to be contended. (Hell even on Star Trek with their artificial gravity Kirk and company are frequently shown violently shifting about when caught in some interstellar maelstrom.)

Your ankles, knees, hips, backbone, and neck are all fulcrum points that can be jerked, yanked, and twisted every which way and is the whole reason behind seat belts and shoulder harnesses in cars. A standing figure could sustain near fatal injuries being jostled about unsecured in a Titan greave...........

Most of the critiques I receive are on this one aspect of an enormously complex model build where it makes every sense to me that the foot soldiers have to be secured in some fashion to arrive safely intact at the combat zone. :biggrin.:

Edited by Blackadder

I think mag-lock boots are only viable in weightlessness because yeah, you will break up your legs and stuff. I know having your back against a wall can cause bad injuries in instances of turbulence so I don't know how viable being harnessed to walls is either. Honestly I don't know anyone not enhanced (marines, mechanicus, custodes, etc) can be passengers in the legs. I guess one option would be some kind of inertia storing/dispersing system not unlike the inertial store converter from Macross Frontier (anime). Given the other kinds of pseudo-magic technology available, I don't see this as being to far flung of an idea.

While I'm awed by your work, I realy can't understand why insist on a harness for Astartes.

Maglocking should work fine for them:D

I cannot understand the insistence on magnetic boots as if your feet secured to a deck are all with which had to be contended. (Hell even on Star Trek with their artificial gravity Kirk and company are frequently shown violently shifting about when caught in some interstellar maelstrom.)

Your ankles, knees, hips, backbone, and neck are all fulcrum points that can be jerked, yanked, and twisted every which way and is the whole reason behind seat belts and shoulder harnesses in cars. A standing figure could sustain near fatal injuries being jostled about unsecured in a Titan greave...........

Most of the critiques I receive are on this one aspect of an enormously complex model build where it makes every sense to me that the foot soldiers have to be secured in some fashion to arrive safely intact at the combat zone. :biggrin.:

Space Marines are not just in boots but full sets of power armour, the armour is packed full of support and suppressors along with the significant improvements to the Marine's physique they would have very little problem surviving to combat.

They only really bother with harnesses in drop pods from orbit, or in case of being shot down and the impact from crashing in a thunder hawk during flight (even combat flight and taking fire) they can and do get out of the restraints and visit the cockpit.

Skitarii are massively augmented with bionics including bionic legs and so don't suffer the same weakness of the flesh in the same way so again unlikely to really care about being in the greaves.

However I do feel that the Mechanicus would be more interested in efficiency and cramming the troops in. I can see how they would have racks of harnesses suspended in the column so you can pack more troops in. A bit like the racks of droids in Star wars but looking more like a modern roller coaster carriages vertically stacking 20 guys in a rack. The having a cycling mechanism that releases them on the floor just in front of the door and then pulls the empty rack back ready for the next one. 

Designed as well so that normal guardsmen can survive, sure it'll be uncomfortable but it's not like the mechanicus really care about that.

Eight Set Of Toes:

Boring!

Producing eight identical toe sets was tedious in the extreme but at any rate they are done except for the detail of course.

4sHkM6Rl.jpg

I modified the side toes to be shorter than the front and rear toes for what I consider aesthetic purposes and I made the ramp a bit shallower than on the image as well again because I think it looks better.

GBKUHjHl.jpg

Another of the same image but I think it portrays the greave better than the one above so hell, I posted them both.

w7f4rYpl.jpg

And Damn; I forgot the obligatory Space Marine for scale.

Toes... toes!!? I am in need of a tie for my warhound as it came without one... any interest in talking a neophyte through your process???

I'll post a link to my scratchbuilt Warhound (Lucius Pattern I'm afraid) but it should be easy to fabricate a toe none the less. 

Meanwhile..........

The Bottom of the foot pads:

The Movie Helsreach shows the bottom of the foot pads as a rather bland tread pattern.

NEfzlzll.jpg

So be it. I like it for it's simplicity.

FYk80zjl.jpg

Toes... toes!!? I am in need of a tie for my warhound as it came without one... any interest in talking a neophyte through your process???

The most comprehensive blog I have for my scratchbuilt  Warhound is here. I address the building of the toes on page 10.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/270/226296.page

https://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/at/2009/8/4/fa4d7b2b59a61586de9ffec46ca7422c_6825.jpg__thumb

If this is helpful let me know.

I must say, the scale of this project is breathtaking, but your planning and execution are more than up to the mark; it's fascinating watching this turn from components to pieces very recognisable as titan substructures.