Blackadder's Attempt To Build a Lucius Patten Imperator

Blackadder

Drop by and leave a post; It may be the impetus I need to resurrect this project......

I’ll use this comment of yours against moderati screaming ‘threadomancy’!:thumbsup:

EDIT: Turns out, I can't. The topic has been archived. So you need to contact a Moderati to un-archive and re-activate it. Then I will follow it and provide you with the digital kicks in the butt to finish the Lucius Reaver. Because that thing needs to be finished. As it is a thing of beauty. 

it it very cool and I'd love to see it back to life but if it was me I'd then drop the Imperator as I flutter over to the older project.

Please finish this big beast first then stand the three (these two and your warlord side by side) having two finished will really help drive the Reaver. 

• 3 weeks later...
I think I'll Have To Add Another Barrel:

Not much going on with the model these days. I've got 3/4 of a year working on these two guns and am nowhere near finished. For example today I spent reducing the bore of the five o'clock position barrel which gratifyingly finally looks right (to me).

FdGlpjol.jpg

I did a quick setup of the hull to take these pictures and have something posted before Christmas.

xGathUil.jpg

I made the barrels extra long so I could adjust the length with a minimum of refabricating 

kko672Fl.jpg

it seems I must adjust them by a ninth

oHB0eGAl.jpg

To match the picture and the Sunfury Annihilator Turbo Laser.

Have a Happy Holiday. 

Good to see an update. I keep checking for one on a regular basis. I agree, the bore size for the barrel looks good. Obviously looks a little out of place with the others still being larger, but think the new size would give better proportions.

Happy Holidays/Christmas!

A Cog Disc

The more I build this thing the more I think these are actually revolving barrels. But they are energy weapons so what is the point???

Anyway my production schedule has been compromised by the Holiday Festivities I made time today to make the Cogged backing chamber for the barrels

10kf0vnl.jpg

You can see by the image below that it looks like the backing plate and the barrels rotate as a single piece

C5XZ2u6l.jpg

Anyway the component is straight forward and simple to replicate thanks to the Waffle material; the Fluorescent Light Diffuser Panel.  

fpkT8hbl.jpg

In my humble opinion they are revolving for the same reason Gatling guns are revolving, cooling? They fire one at a time as they spin up? Ye no it doesnt make sense at that scale since they wouldnt be able to spin fast enough and yes they dont need to spin since its an energy weapon but... Gatling gun laser cannon sounds cool? 

I don't know, Black Adder, it looks like there is a flat hexagonal plate mounted behind the barrels, and then a gap between that plate and the cog/toothed wheel. IMO it isn't really a weapon configuration that makes sense at all, but what makes me think there is some kind of gap is the plate that is above the barrels that's "parallel" to the ground - it appears to come down in front of the cog wheel and the that cylindrical object projects forward and holds that weird plate that appears to have a slot/groove in it above the backing plate behind the barrels.

But since it isn't a solid round firing weapon, the configuration makes no sense to me.

Just to be clear, the weapon in the artwork referenced above is a gatling blaster, which is a solid-round cannon. And the barrels are meant to revolve - as the name suggests, it's a ridiculously-scaled gatling gun.

It's confusing because the version of the gatling blaster designed for the old Lucius-pattern Warlord appears similar to the hellstorm cannon on the Imperator. Even the 40K Wiki gets it wrong. But they are (in the old AT/EPIC rulesets and in lore) very different weapons.

Now, the Imperator's hellstorm cannon looks like it revolves, too, so the discussion isn't irrelevent. I'm just saying that drawing conclusions from the Warlord Titan artwork isn't entirely accurate.

Edited by CommodusXIII

• 3 weeks later...
Eight into Five just don't go evenly;

Cogs that is. Yeah I know but that's what the image calls for. It was either eight or nine and there wasn't space for nine cogs. I could have done six but the spacing would have been too great. No matter how you slice it the revolving chamber just doesn't work. But you know I just don't care anymore. I'm tired of playing with these guns :D

M7Jc32Jl.jpg

Last night was the first time in three weeks I actually had time to work on this thing since New Years.

xMwHSlul.jpg

I've decided that the 5 barrels remain stationary and the cylinder revolves. Don't ask me how or why but dimmit that's the way it's gotta be. 

qYlONTkl.jpg

Now I've gotta adjust the barrel length and the support carriage.

mCUqsMZl.jpg

And get this show back on the road.

dOnd5s2l.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Egad! I've forgotten how this thing goes together! 

It's been six or so months since this Emperor Titan took a header (fortunately without sustaining much damage) and it was, at the time, inexpedient to reassemble the completed components. So this past week I've been trying to figure out HOW I BUILT THE D@MNED THING! All the body components interlock together without glue to facilitate assembly and disassembly (So I can add the interior detail when I get to it) but there are 20 to 30 major components and the sequence of how they are assembled has been trial and error. HA!

ErYsfTTl.jpg

Anyway here is what it looked like before it toppled and we can go from there.

Looks majestic- and an absolute PAIN to put together in a way that ensures it stays in one piece. I wish you success in the Titan's completion.

An interesting aside; while I was assembling this thing on the gutted TV Console I use to fabricate the components over my computer work station the whole thing toppled over again yesterday It fell on my desk, my computer chair and ultimately five feet to the floor separating into a dozen component pieces..... Surprisingly no damage. I shoulda got a picture of that.

A Crash Test Dummy:

Is building this Titan. 

I wish I could blame this on the cat or something but instead I am making inroads into stupidity.

I was going to show the interior with the positioning plugs I have been working on for the past few days but instead here we see a pile of rubble which was the inner levels of the interior.

ZzEMFGNl.jpg

Fortunately its not all as bad as it seems in spite of falling the same 5 feet again in much the same trajectory as the previous fall a couple of days ago although the computer chair did not intervene to soften the mishap this time so a few items actually did break this time. 

As I type the glue is drying and most of the damage is repaired (I'm getting good at it by now)

Anyway, with hope, I'll be able to photograph the aligning plugs later today. 

At least when your's happened it was an expensive resin hierophant :sad.: . I still need to figure out how I'm going to secure my models, since I have a kid on the way and baby + small parts = bad times for daddy and son.

• 2 weeks later...
Quarter Galleries:

For lack of a better term; this is the area I'll be working on

gjLeebcl.jpg

The images are pretty much self explanatory; I'll be framing out the "Quarter Galleries" with cut Florescent light panel waffle diffusers purchased at Home Depot. 

rr4ohCPl.jpg

The panels are made of very hard and brittle styrene plastic but are plenty durable for framing and is cheap compared to hobby shop styrene. About 4 feet long and about 2 feet wide metric users can do the math....;)

FrpJg0sl.jpg

The Ground Floor:

Actually about one hundred fifty feet above the ground but what the hey. The superstructure of this Titan is what makes it unique and I've been putting it off long enough trying to come up with something earthshaking. Try as I might I just cannot top Joazzz2's incredible architecture so I'll just copy that so first the gatehouse battlements sometimes called the barbican. 

WaYJaCel.jpg

Never Be Afraid:

To take the plunge. If the wine is sour, don't throw it out; make vinegar. 

Something just didn't look right about these two barbicans but until they were sheathed I couldn't quite figure it out. 

f9QGDXhl.jpg

Ultimately I realized they were too tall. 

267X9Nel.jpg

A couple of minutes with a razor saw and utility knife demonstrated I was right and through careful surgery I managed to save the upper section for the second stage of the construct. 

Exercise In Tedium:

The problem with building so large a model is the tedious repetitious building of identical parts.

OF077uLl.jpg

Even an assembly line approach does not sufficiently relieve the boredom.

s9hNX7Dl.jpg