Blackadder's Attempt To Build a Lucius Patten Imperator

Blackadder

Actually you could make those towers in varying sizes. Which would of course add to your workload, but would be quite in line with the way cathedrals and churches with several towers were often build.

You may feel boredom, but from this observer's perspective, you are in the process of creating something truly amazing. Do you suppose Bach ever got bored in the middle of writing one of his works? I'd bet on it. Here is the thing, the mark of a truly great artist is one who makes something so amazing while at the same time makes it look easy to accomplish (because it sort of is in their eyes). The fact that you are getting a bit bored while making this is a good sign.

Barbican Phase Two:

Show your work is my motto regardless how sloppy. Never fear this is only the underlayment I build for strength and durability.

5D4RNcql.jpg

This first image shows what a godsend this defuser lens material is. Had I to make all the interior framing for a model of this size it would probably cost twice as much or be very flimsy. One thing you don't want is a limp Titan.

dxLSwfll.jpg

The second image shows the corner outcropping structures which are probably too narrow to serve any purpose other than decorative. Were this a stone Barbican it would serve as a buttress for the corner.

Actually you could make those towers in varying sizes. Which would of course add to your workload, but would be quite in line with the way cathedrals and churches with several towers were often build.

Yeah what is the asymmetrical cathedral; Chartres I believe. That one always upset my sense of symmetry. You won't see a repetition of that abomination here.  :biggrin.:

You may feel boredom, but from this observer's perspective, you are in the process of creating something truly amazing. Do you suppose Bach ever got bored in the middle of writing one of his works? I'd bet on it. Here is the thing, the mark of a truly great artist is one who makes something so amazing while at the same time makes it look easy to accomplish (because it sort of is in their eyes). The fact that you are getting a bit bored while making this is a good sign.

Wow, Bach himself. I'm in incredible company there. But Bach was in it for the money and charged by the note...... I won't sell my work. 
Edited by Blackadder

I cheated:

I wanted to see what the Citadel would look like so I put the lower leg structures on the deck behind the Barbicans. 

lQyxVjbl.jpg

I think this might amount to something after all

zj7gJb6l.jpg

From the top view it seems I made the superstructure deck lust big enough.

EyJfZJNl.jpg

And the Barbicans appear to be the right size as well.

Martini Time!

Skoal.

Thanks for the replies.

Barbican Spires

The Barbican corner reinforcements have been enclosed and This evening I began creating the ornamental spires to cap the corners.

srGi6nWl.jpg

These are purely decorative being too narrow for occupation.....

BxOB5tHl.jpg

But no doubt they serve some 40K esoteric purpose

67Rbhhil.jpg

Anyway there are 16 of them and I have managed to complete one and made inroads on seven others before saying ENOUGH!

• 2 weeks later...
An Error In Perspective:

One of the major drawbacks of OCD is good enough is never good enough. All the while I was building these Barbicans something just did not seem right about the positioning of the spires until last week when I finally deduced what should have been readily apparent from the get go. The corner buttresses were wrong in shape which would have lead to a mistake in the position of the spires and affected the whole upper structure were it not corrected. After relentlessly studying the 3D images I finally discovered my mistake. The buttresses were rectangular not square.

s2lXuEWl.jpg

Short of rebuilding the whole structure I opted to modify the buttresses which in itself was an arduous task compounded in the further mistake of trying to economize on material. That never works and almost always guarantees more wasted time than than savings in material. Ultimately I went for materiel extravagance and in one day managed to outpace the proceedings week's work.

rTpodUql.jpg

I hope the images convey were the problem laid and how if not extending the buttresses 9,5 MM the spires would be to cramped together to replicate the 3D art projection. Now I have to readjust the height of the Barbicans pretty much back to my original perception.

Leaps and Bounds:

Vis-à-vis ennui. Virtually 99% of this construction is utter boredom. Yesterday I was so jazzed about completing a major milestone with the fabrication of the first tier of the Barbicans I began construction of the second tier.

3VIX6P7l.jpg

Two hours into it and I had the basic structures in hand. 

NOtRSaZl.jpg

Things don't usually happen this way but I have become adept at making these structures. So now the tedium sets in. The best thing I can do is share my basic building techniques while waiting for the glue to dry...........

Extra points for building with Answers With Joe in the background; great content creator.

Every time I see it in an assembled form I can't help but hear the warhorn from the Armageddon series. Simply glorious, right down to the mundane parts that honestly aren't really. They're all just the small bits that make the sum greater than the whole they will create.

First Inkling:

Today I got my first inkling of this model in it's entirety. Up to now I've manufactured separate components but the overall magnitude escaped me. Now I see the full scope of it's height which will be about 5 feet tall so scale-wise at the 25/28 MM the model will stand 336 to 360 feet tall or (102 to 110 meters tall.)

NFxfldfl.jpg

I'm assuming the uppermost spires to add an additional eight to 12 inches to the overall height.

xha4k2kl.jpg

Although some might call that cheating :D

g5wNzMcl.jpg

Tomorrow I plan to have the other Barbican completed 

ooaxrJEl.jpg

and with luck reassembled with the legs again.  

The cool thing about your project here is, that even if you for some reason end it before getting everything done, you got the coolest gaming table for your games ever :wink: Just imagine some killteam sabotage action or boarding scenarios.... It's just sooooo cool!

Edited by Chaplain Killmer

These complex structures are amoung the most difficult I have built for this Titan. Considering they will have to bear little weight in comparison they are extremely over built.

MKAMJX8l.jpg

Compounding this the corner towers are octagonal in shape. This does not lend itself readily to the square grid material I have chosen for the substructure. Compensations in the structure have to be made to make the cross section conform to the octagonal shape.

ofpjp2nl.jpg

The top of the Barbicans will have either spires which will increase the height to around 60 inches or AA laser cannon emplacements which will decrease the height to somewhat less; about; 54 inches as far as the Barbicans are concerned. 

2bPuKBll.jpg

The main Keep will be another story.

You're going to need a bigger house. Been lurking on this thread for a while and it honestly blows my mind. Whats the weight up to?

With projects like this, do you find doing what I would concider to be the "interesting" parts first like the head, to be inspirational to get the rest done, or a detriment.

I feel like I would build the head, and then burn out not long after. 

Edited by jester_prince

Sanctum Sanctorum:.

Awright no comments on the man-cave. 

MBOgm4Tl.jpg

As you may have gathered I'm single. Who else could dump thousands on stuff I should have outgrown ages ago but hey, I love working on this stuff. Prior to this I built 18th century American warship models plank on frame wood..... but that's for another area of FB

I find styrene a much easier medium to work with and my son was an avid player so Dad obliged him. 

I spent the better part of the week building the components seen here. That and my current occupation of President of my Condominium.

aQgITmul.jpg

The octagonal column center of the image above represents my third attempt to make this part, successfully (Finally) I might add. The secret was, "there are no shortcuts to a quality representation." Eventually I must learn that.

The image below show the basic work of the remaining seven columns waiting in the wings for the success of the first. 

bSP02tNl.jpg

My apologies for the crudeness of the construction appearance but the basic shape is all I need for the present. The polish and detail will come later.

I hadn't appreciated the amount of structure above the shoulders. I'm sure it's taken a ton of work but it's really coming together - it does look like there's a whole temple complex up there. It looks very faithful to the imagery your working from