Blackadder's Attempt To Build a Lucius Patten Imperator

Blackadder

Dribs and Drabs:

But in these Summer months it's hard to not take advantage of the wonderful pool weather.  Much too nice to be indoors working on plastic models.

But here's a few images to tide over until the rains return.

NIksL45l.jpg

First the superstructure deck now has forward battlements and the blocks are the beginnings of the center corner towers which do not seem to have any offensive capabilities.

LxtL1cIl.jpg

Extending the deck allows for spacing the "Firestorm Redoubts" and also gives room for the fifteen meter tall statues on the Citadel base to be seen more clearly.

Finally;

STQutPol.jpg

A bird's eye view of the Firestorm quad Laser Cannons base

It's all coming together just as if I actually had, Some kinda Plan. Ha!

Secondary Towers:

The more I study the image of the Emperor Deck the more detail stands out on this marvelous 3D image by Joazzz2. I was aware of the smaller towers on the superstructure deck but I did not perceive there were ten of them until this week.

NIksL45l.jpg

What was going to be a minor exercise in tedium has suddenly become a major pain in the arse.

JgqhDUZl.jpg

lgMG9Del.jpg

Doubly so because I really hate doing these tiny pyramidal end caps. 

gFX0ksHl.jpg

1U79qzGl.jpg

Rediscovering the Wheel:

Before I found the rear view of this version of Joazzz2's  Emperor Titan I modeled certain components of the superstructure deck including the corner hanging bastions or turrets. I made only two and while quite successful on completion I'd forgotten how I actually built them :p 

Hence the title of this entry.

When I obtained the back view I found I needed two more.

4qFJy2Zl.jpg

Thanks for the reply. You know, on reviewing the image above I neglected to remark on the crudeness of the construction. 

When you are scratch building any model especially one as large as this Titan, you are bound to accumulate a large amount of scrap plastic. There is a lot of internal structure that no one will ever see and there is no point in sacrificing virgin plastic for internal bracing. I keep my scrap in sorted bins 0.015, 0.020, 0.030 and 0.040"/(0,1MM) and use it for internal structure as seen here. Once assembled I sand off the surface to obtain the shape I need. I find it much easier than meticulously building perfect inner components. 

The spires look good.

Thanks for the reply. You know, on reviewing the image above I neglected to remark on the crudeness of the construction. 

When you are scratch building any model especially one as large as this Titan, you are bound to accumulate a large amount of scrap plastic. There is a lot of internal structure that no one will ever see and there is no point in sacrificing virgin plastic for internal bracing. I keep my scrap in sorted bins 0.015, 0.020, 0.030 and 0.040"/(0,1MM) and use it for internal structure as seen here. Once assembled I sand off the surface to obtain the shape I need. I find it much easier than meticulously building perfect inner components. 

The spires look good.

Good tip! I've never built anything on this scale but from smaller projects I can definitely see the sense of this, especially sorting by size to shim or gap-fit.

Keep at it Blackadder! I'm sure it's tough to stay motivated on something that big but it's looking amazing

Moment of Truth

This is going to be Interesting.

I've learned a lot building this model. 

It's the largest project I've ever tackled and I've had to innovate a lot of new techniques.It's been a year and a half since I made the first pair of turrets. 

These new turrets so far are put the old ones to shame and it'll be interesting to see how they top out.

smVvP40l.jpg

As a ton people have stated you could probably have games on this titan. That would make for such a cool narrative game, make the titan all but invulnerable from external forces in a full scale Apocalypse game, while running a side game of kill team on its back with a team running around trying to lower void shields, disarm reactors ect so that it becomes actually killable to other titans/titan killer weaponry.

I am really enjoying the progress you keep making on this project. It's nice to see such a mythical part of the 40k lore be realised to such a high standard. I know other people have tried but this is a whole other level of quality. You should be proud.

• 4 weeks later...
It's been a busy month and I'm afraid the Emperor has taken a back seat compared to my other more pressing endeavors. I did manage to cobble together the rear bastions of the superstructure which are virtually carbon copies of the front components. My grandiose idea of a kit bash citadel has been greatly reconsidered because such a structure would compromise the theme of the scratch work. 

"There is no shortcut to glory."  It's a lesson I seem destined to relearn with every model I attempt. :D

9BfcnfOl.jpg

On another aside I can't believe I only took one picture of this most recent construction!

• 2 weeks later...
Flying Buttresses;

Once again these seemingly simple constructs are labor intensive

e5VczPXl.jpg

A box like structure seven times longer than it's wide and I need four of them.

PpLwhLYl.jpg

Otr5DsOl.jpg

3BghGngl.jpg

Even with the egg crate material and the resources of industrial quality styrene 0.040" (1,0 millimeter) sheets it's taken a while to manufacture just one. but the next three should take much less time

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Thanks for the replies.

Now It Can Be Told:

eLje0ftl.jpg

After a month hiatus where I spent the time duplicating the upper works previously accomplished I am approaching the point where the four bastions are ready to have the surface sheets applied. 

t0LlSiPl.jpg

I took it on myself to spare my erstwhile readers the agony of enduring repetitive exposition and bit by bit gluing that which was previously documented ad nauseam.

kvUFLCAl.jpg

So this is where we are on the superstructure and I have to say I am elated that this is finally approaching completion, component wise that is; there is still a load of detailing to do!!!!

8xilcXFl.jpg

Edited by Blackadder

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Wow, it has been some time since I worked on this project but over the past week I've finally felt well enough to rekindle my interest in completing this effort.

As some have perceived I may have contracted the Corona virus but I couldn't be tested for sure as yet. Today I am going to be tested for the presence of Covid 19 antibodies.

Hh5qHUdl.jpg

Anyway over the past week or so I've made some inroads into how to proceed with the superstructure and begun to make the base for the rear pair of towers.

Also for scale I've included the Skitarii figure and one of the decorative statures I ultimately plan to incorporate in the towers.

aNZQPpLl.jpg

Without going back to view the last developments I posted regarding the interior engineering levels I've included this as well.

Thanks for the replies,

Blackadder