Blackadder's Attempt To Build a Lucius Patten Imperator

Blackadder

I've been constantly looking out for updates on this, so assumed something must not be right as you've not updated for a while. Really glad you are starting to feel well again. If it is covid-19 you had, I hope it's not left any lasting health issues for you. Good to hear from you and looking forward to seeing more updates on this project when the time is right for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all the well wishers and I still have not had conclusive proof for or against my peculiar malady but I have taken the bull by the horns and started my own recovery regimen. With the aid of my Fitbit Surge and a degree of willpower I am now averaging ten miles a day once again hiking the byways of my locale. Naturally this cuts into my project time but it can't be helped....

But enough about me; here's the update:

My VAB:

Behold my new Vehicle Assembly Building

Dedicated to the Emperor Titan in all it's iterations, I've grown tired of this thing toppling when fully assembled.

The VAB has an open space floor to fourth level ceiling of just over 51 inches 130 centimeters.

QCnoIG3l.jpg

XtS0CWkl.jpg

Lxzw6hhl.jpg

Three times in the past month this d@mned thing has toppled with varying degrees of damage. This last time prompted me to acquire a protective stand to stabilize the structure during further construction. The Titan almost fell again while I was fitting the model into the housing. 

All in all I made some modifications to the weapons yoke and replaced some items that did not measure up to the rest of the construction.

Ta for now,

EB

Edited by Blackadder

• 2 weeks later...
The Superstructure towers in the rear needed to be raised in my estimation. 

Using the waffle lens material I made a structure that should do the trick.

This is wonderful stuff to work with. It makes building bulky objects a simple task with no real measuring as the 1/2 inch squares are gnat's ass uniform in size.

nskhphul.jpg

The extended base with the towers 

WmgwgJEl.jpg

and with the Gothic statues applied

XZV0yhcl.jpg

By George I think he's got it.

• 3 months later...

I've been following Blackadder's builds with a heady mix of awe and envy at his skills since the very early days of him refurbishing Armorcast Baneblades and his own Thunderhawk. His Warhound was eye-opening; his Lucius-pattern Reaver "conversion" looked great until it stopped progressing (I assume due to his own perfectionism and frustrations with the lack of symmetry of the FW model it was based on).  The scratch-built Warlord was a thing of beauty - even if i do admit i love the FW Mars-pattern Warlord even more from a purely aesthetic point of view despite it being too small.

I check this topic probably once a week hoping for an update, and I'm not ashamed to admit that i come away disappointed when there isn't one.  Obviously i'm fully aware that there are more pressing concerns, and people have real lives, and that Blackadder owes us nothing in terms of updates or whatever - but I'm still always a bit gutted when there isn't more of this magnificent beast to show off!

Kudos sir.  You're an inspiration, even to those of us who couldn't even begin to hope to match you level of skill!  I shall have to get used to the idea of delayed gratification and simply learn to just wait for the next breathtaking update!

Lost contact with all my 40K forums. Sorry to have been so long in updating. I had a miserable Summer See below......

I'll try to be more productive over the Winter Ha!

Ha! a subliminal proding that I have been delinquent in publishing an update. Actually I have been working on the 'head'  in hopes to complete the interior. I have a question regarding the seated crew. I cannot remember where I obtained the two seated pilots for the cockpit (shown here in my Warlord cockpit).... 

http://i.imgur.com/ihG8bMil.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xk13cZGl.jpg

If anyone who can provide the information it would be greatly appreciated.

I hope to have an update ready later today. 

Found 'em; they're Sentinel pilots and dashboards... but I found Valkyrie pilots on Ebay which will do the trick and I can detail the cockpit interior in much the same manner as the Warlord here seen below as I copy a page from the Warlord thread...

Then and Now:

Back when I was young, i.e. before computers; I had this idea of getting images of instruments and pasting them inside of model planes for realistic cockpit displays so perusing catalogs and magazines I came up with a few usable images etc...

Well long story short they were too big, or too small, too dark, too light and ultimately I gave up the idea. 

But this morning in the course of mebbe half an hour I searched, photoshopped and printed superb instruments for the Warlord cockpit.

What an amazing age we are privileged to live in.

http://i.imgur.com/dr8Putxl.jpg

Paper or Plastic:

The paper gauges seem to work okay; definitely better than I can paint them I was going to light them from behind but I don't think that will be necessary besides the lighting will augment the discrepancies. We don't need that.

Once the glue is dried I'll trim the gauges better, right now they seem a bit crude.

http://i.imgur.com/QlPje8Il.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CFDTtDtl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Q2LF8Ikl.jpg

Pardon My Dust,

or 

What a Summer!

It may have come as a complete shock to you all but I do have responsibilities regarding house maintenance that occasionally take precedence over my 40K pursuits.

Long story short; my lovely lady friend managed to dislodge some tiles in the bathroom shower in my 50+ year old residence.  Simple matter of cleaning the backing board and reinstalling the tiles but further investigation revealed that the backing board was sodden and ultimately I had to replace the entire lower half of the shower walls. I then decided to sheath the interior of the shower with tongue and groove beaded styrene paneling. I finished the interior with plastic crown decorative molding which took me halfway through August but the project came out pretty well if I do say so myself. 

After a week or so basking in this past glory; "the light of my life," on stepping out of the shower, she managed to step through the floor in front of the shower door! This necessitated replacing the subfloor and retiling that area as well. Mind you I was in and out off the shower stall easily hundreds of times during the interior work and despite weighing 210 pounds I did not go through the floor. I may need to consider getting a lighter 'main squeeze'

Anyway today I decided to reward myself and take up the cudgel of working on my sadly neglected Emperor Titan. 

Just so to resurrect your memory this is the area I am working toward......

r3zutq8l.jpg

I have only this one image to work from.

EJ88rnol.jpg

I finally figured out my mistake.

gfzpp4Cl.jpg

So I shall be working on this rear area until I get it right. 

fPsGwFRl.jpg

I hope it will not be so long for the next installment. 

Hurrah! Blackadder is back at it, and with a cunning plan!

Reading your last post, I couldn't figure out what the mistake was that you had come to realize. Care to enlighten us?

Also, I hope your current 'main squeeze' doesn't read your posts here on this forum :D :D :D

Ha! My main squeeze couldn't care less. ;)

aUPh1qKl.jpg

The green arrows show the area of the yoke to be raised upward about 3 inches

The blue arrows show the 30 degree angle that has to be corrected to 45 degrees indicated by the red arrows to make it conform to the original model shown below.

r3zutq8l.jpg

Thanks for the replies

Ah! Clear, yeah. I hadn't seen it, but of course I'm not so super involved in the detail of it all. That's a very good spot indeed! Did you only recently source that image of the titan's rear or did you only recently actually saw that - maybe because the low yokes hadn't been a problem before? 

Dang, BA. I’ve been gone from this board for over a year, but the first thing I looked up on my return was how my favorite scratch building madman was doing.Lo and behold, you never fail to disappoint! Still floored by this project after the Warlord and I’m glad to see that you’ve seemed to kick whatever was afflicting you!

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm finally feeling pretty good.

The Wine was Sour:

I've gone about as far with this as I can without correcting grievous mistakes I've tried to live with for the past year or so. If I am to complete this model the problems must be addressed now.

The following images are of the upper torso as it is right now.....

vRRiNtfl.jpg

1YA34OAl.jpg

9uqE1qnl.jpg

The yoke arms are too low and hang too far down into the interior decks.

The first step is to take the model completly apart and remove the yoke.

oiazU2ml.jpg

I cut about 1.5 inches off the top of the yoke which seems about right...

usSQmjpl.jpg

I sealed the top with 0.020 inch styrene...

Zm0Q2dCl.jpg

CxLIA8jl.jpg

more to come.....