Blackadder's Attempt To Build a Lucius Patten Imperator

Blackadder

• 2 weeks later...
The Wine Was Sour:

So I threw it out. 

I went for broke widening the superstructure deck by about 4 inches which necessitated revamping the ends of the deck. 

After struggling with the modification ad nauseum working upside down I managed to modify the left hand side of the deck to allow for the cove moulding on the underside of the crenellations but it was beyond my patience to try to juxtapose the coordinates for the other side.  ( I always wanted to use the word "juxtapose" in a sentence. :) 

GUhvnZvl.jpg

Anyhow I tore the entire superstructure apart and turned the deck upside down and still it was quite difficult to break out the underside of the deck but a lot easier than working upside down.

Here is what I had to replicate:

vtbZqNVl.jpg

mirroring the completed underside.

And the entire underside for reference:

HoaC76Yl.jpg

Easy peasy (Not)

• 4 weeks later...
A Fine Madness?

Someone stop him before he goes all the way back to the beginning!!!

This morning I finished off installing the cooling vanes/buttresses (?) around the base of the waist. 

HoaC76Yl.jpg

Xiv2bFOl.jpg

UsJzVTml.jpg

I've put this off long enough. I couldn't decide how the should be arranged around the forward corners but these seem to work okay.

rMlXosfl.jpg

I cast a troubled glance at the femur/thigh component and thought what the hey; while I've got the thing completely disassembled I might as well lengthen the upper legs as well. I've put it off long enough.

With my trusty razor saw and a couple of hacks I severed the knee joint; "In a thrice the deed was done!" Ha,Ha! Hee Hee!

Oqmqf6El.jpg

I decided to increase the thigh length by a bit over 7 CM (2.6 inches) shown here compared to the other leg (still to be done) 

Once reassembled we'll if that is sufficient.

Edited by Blackadder

One of my biggest complaints about the Forge World Warlord is I thought the legs were too short. I even resolved were I ever to purchase one I would lengthen the legs.

https://i.imgur.com/o3XkR4q.jpg

o3XkR4ql.jpg

With a lot of effort I managed to increase the length of the legs by about  7,0 centimeters (2.75 inches). It required a lot more work than I had bargained for. If I had to do it over again I probably wouldn't have done it.

(whom I kidding; I'm not obsessive compulsive for the fun of it.) 

Anyway here's a couple of views of the stretch job...

https://i.imgur.com/YiRWiUC.jpg

YiRWiUCl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/OctANpX.jpg

OctANpXl.jpg

and I also got the legs to work so they can be posed as seen below.

https://i.imgur.com/nskdwKh.jpg

nskdwKhl.jpg

Edited by Blackadder

wow I have read the whole thread, and you sure have alot of courage.

I mean, when you put yourself out there, and say youre going to do something,

you are putting yourself up to the challenge of success, or failure,

eventually having to give up and throwing in the towel in front of thousands of viewers

isnt something anyone would have the courage of doing.

congratz, and even though it didnt go so smooth or fast, you got there.

for every cynic that says that its impossible there is a creator who makes the impossible possible.

Looking good, but if you are planning to use those hydraulics on the front I would think about  adding some bulk on the sides of the thighs around the hip, as the shot from the front looks like the tube is the only thing hold everything up. 

Looking good, but if you are planning to use those hydraulics on the front I would think about  adding some bulk on the sides of the thighs around the hip, as the shot from the front looks like the tube is the only thing hold everything up. 

Thanks for all the replies;

I ran into the same critiques when I was building my Warlord.

The basic structure of the upper legs is all that is being worked on at the moment.

There is still a large amount of esoteric gewgaws and paraphernalia  to be mounted on the basic leg structures not to mention thigh armour, kneecaps, hamstring hydraulics etc. 

Prior to this I had the main hydraulic cylinders in the back of the knee joints which were functionless.

moving them to the front  gives them the dynamic purpose of leg flexion and extension which are critical for walking. The Emperor Titan is now more anatomically correct. :D

I should have figured that you have something in mind.

Anatomically correct?!?  Is the Dark Prince whispering things into your mind? Do we need the flamers? The HEAVY flamers?:rolleyes::biggrin.:

Well I was referring to the Rectus Femorus but there is that humongous Quake Cannon …..

Eureka!

First time together with the complete top hamper, the basic edifices that is. 

iYcfQibl.jpg

Also the first time with the new leg extensions and the full weight if the basic model brought to bear on the legs.

PUe9D72l.jpg

The model is extremely top heavy and while precariously stable walking around the model would topple it I'm sure; so for the time being I propped it up against the back of a chair. 

7M5NaSJl.jpg

I need to add stabilizers to the interior of the greave housings.

9t6DdfXl.jpg

(Note the 51 inches (1.2954 meter) on the six foot scale... a far cry from my initial projection of a tad over a meter.)

The top view and the foreground level camera angle shot brings home the majesty of this monster.

mT6H9Kyl.jpg

The two figures added for scale are virtually lost in the immensity of the construction. 

JB3LsYxl.jpg

Optimistically I am going to start detailing the basic components and getting the main weapons mounted on the shoulders.    

Magificent!

It's really the only word that comes to mind. LOoking at those scale figures - especially the one next to his feet - just gis off this incredible sense of awe and dread to see something from birds eye view. Makes you really imagine why there's stories of entire regiments cheering when one of these behemoths stride by. Wow.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies;

Up In The Big Leagues:

About a week ago I began detailing the various edifices of the upper works and found myself in short supply of the 0.80 X .250 inch Evergreen Styrene strips  (2,0 X 4,8 MM) 

According to my calculations I would need about ten Packets. I found a user friendly "Factory Direct" Hobby Supply site which will now be my go to source for special styrene strips etc.

https://factorydirecthobbies.com/products

https://i.imgur.com/6Ihv12U.jpg

6Ihv12Ul.jpg

Behold $150 bucks worth of styrene strips and tubes

And The beginnings of making 96 pieces of the same size portal details for the corner bastions.

https://i.imgur.com/gVpN3PU.jpg

gVpN3PUl.jpg

We're not fooling around any more boys and girls.

Edited by Blackadder